2 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

Yes, but why in 1/78th scale, I wonder? Don't you rather want Lady Gaga in 1/48th scale wearing a thong, sitting on the front seat of the AMK Tomcat kit cockpit?

I mean, her face would look exactly like Tom Cruise's in Top Gun, when he's shown boarding the Tomcat - his face looks like he's got the faintest idea what all those dials on the IP are there for. And it still does today!

Damn!

1/48 would result in a quite big nose... 

4 hours ago, nachjager said:

My thoughts on the AMK F-14 'controversy':

1) We need Tamiya and/or GWH to do a new tool A-10C.

2) Sierra Hotel Models is panning to do a 1/48 A-10C cockpit for October (doesn't say what year...)

3) Academy 1/35 M1A2 Tusk II /V2 is by far the best modern armor model I have the pleasure to build.

4) Will AMK included in the initial F-14 release a 1/78 resin figure of Lady Gaga?

First of what does 1/78 scale have to do with 1/48th scale?

We would have take a second mortgage or win Power Ball to buy it if GWH or Tamiya did it!!! I would rather see someone else.

Have not seen the Academy M1a2 kit, but if it's as good as their Panzer IV; then it's a home run! The RFM kit is not bad, and heard the Meng was very good.

Gary

I wonder how far down the ARC pages this thread would plummet if nobody posted a comment, nor a link to a FB post or any other link about this eventual kit until an actual AMK representative posted something new and even remotely concrete about this kit to give us something new and current to discuss...:hmmm:.

Make for an interesting experiment.

10 hours ago, IAGeezer said:

Agreed. That F-111 series would be Greeaaat...

Already seen photos. The fuel vent looks all wrong. Still waiting for AMK to post close ups so we can clarify the issue.

Edited by Mstor
19 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

And don't forget about AMK's promised 1/48 Victor tanker, to be released on January the 1st, 2019. Think they'll meet the release date in time, as promised?  

Eehh....a Victor tanker in 1/48????? As 54 would say: That would be HUUUGEEEE, BIG plastic, LOTS  of plastic..lol

15 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

First of what does 1/78 scale have to do with 1/48th scale?

We would have take a second mortgage or win Power Ball to buy it if GWH or Tamiya did it!!! I would rather see someone else.

Have not seen the Academy M1a2 kit, but if it's as good as their Panzer IV; then it's a home run! The RFM kit is not bad, and heard the Meng was very good.

Gary

Honestly, I just wrote 1/78 just for the fun of it. And I agree, a Tamiya A-10 would surely cost an arm and leg (but I would pay for it anyway!). Hasegawa has the skills to do one but we first have to convince the japanese anime and manga herd that an A-10 would look cool with pink and neon camouflage scheme.

Regarding the M1A2, I am currently building one to replicate a current overall green vehicle , and its a gem of a kit. Most part fit without glue, and the included Def Model tracks area  a pleasure to build. I was so impressed that I ordered 4 more. 

18 hours ago, nachjager said:

1/48 would result in a quite big nose... 

That's true! I don't find Lady Gaga attractive at all; even Maddona is a lot more cute. If beggars could ever choose, I'd prefer a 1/48th scale figure of Courtney Love (or Brody Dalle), with a bottle of Jack Daniels in her right hand. :naughty:

16 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

What are you drinking? 

Right now? Just Schweppes tonic water and lemon. Why?

14 hours ago, Don said:

I wonder how far down the ARC pages this thread would plummet if nobody posted a comment, nor a link to a FB post or any other link about this eventual kit until an actual AMK representative posted something new and even remotely concrete about this kit to give us something new and current to discuss...:hmmm:.

Make for an interesting experiment.

Well, blame Martin @AMK for this. There's this issue about their kit's rear fuselage, and there has been no news or an explanation from him for quite a while. It reminds me of this time I had to go to the bank to cash a check, and there were so many customers inside the bank everyone was edgy. We were all able to see the tellers were idle and yet, they wouldn't call out the tickets in the queue management system. All hell broke loose...

58 minutes ago, nachjager said:

Eehh....a Victor tanker in 1/48????? As 54 would say: That would be HUUUGEEEE, BIG plastic, LOTS  of plastic..lol

That's right. All the more so, with their proposed 1/1st scale resin pilot (seated on his own bang seat).

It's gonna be superb!

53 minutes ago, Doppelgänger said:

That's true! I don't find Lady Gaga attractive at all; even Maddona is a lot more cute. If beggars could ever choose, I'd prefer a 1/48th scale figure of Courtney Love (or Brody Dalle), with a bottle of Jack Daniels in her right hand. :naughty:

..or perhaps a 1/35 First Lady Figure to match this:
https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1164983-meng-model-ts-026s-m1a2-abrams-tusk-i-tusk-ii-sep

45 minutes ago, nachjager said:

Yes! I dig Donnie a great deal. And Melania is so hot; she could certainly come along with the president of Croatia. :nanner: 

25 minutes ago, IAGeezer said:

Ya know, some day, when I'm fondling AMK F-14 plastic, I'm gonna miss this thread.

Me too... :rofl:Oh, but it won't be too long until AMK announce another kit releasement taking place some 5 whole years in the future, I guess. 

5 hours ago, IAGeezer said:

Ya know, some day, when I'm fondling AMK F-14 plastic, I'm gonna miss this thread.

Print it out and read it like a bible before fondling the kit.

7 hours ago, nachjager said:

Honestly, I just wrote 1/78 just for the fun of it. And I agree, a Tamiya A-10 would surely cost an arm and leg (but I would pay for it anyway!). Hasegawa has the skills to do one but we first have to convince the japanese anime and manga herd that an A-10 would look cool with pink and neon camouflage scheme.

Regarding the M1A2, I am currently building one to replicate a current overall green vehicle , and its a gem of a kit. Most part fit without glue, and the included Def Model tracks area  a pleasure to build. I was so impressed that I ordered 4 more. 

I have never seen an Academy M1A2!  The Dragon kits were OK at best. The first RFM had a good shape and fit, but still needed work here and there. There were things on the Meng I liked better,  but was left wanting more. The Tamiya M1's never gave me a thrill. The 1991 kit from RFM looks very good in the box, and my get the one with the interior. What want is an M1 IP, and both XM1's. Have little want for the Tusk version.

After making the post on the A10, I did some thinking. Just who would I want in the driver's seat? No doubt Tamiya would do a nice while skimping on the very finest details. Bronco would be the opposite, but take eighteen months to get it built! Believe it or not Hasegawa keeps popping up in my head! Maybe Meng, but doubt they'll ever see the latest and greatest versions of the A10!

I'll be honest with you and say Hasegawa should completely retool the A4 Skyhawk series in both 1/48th and , 1/32 scales.  I don't mean just the E but all of them! If they did them as well as they did the A6m5c kit, I be good for at least a half dozen and maybe more!!!!

Gary

13 minutes ago, ChesshireCat said:

I have never seen an Academy M1A2!  The Dragon kits were OK at best. The first RFM had a good shape and fit, but still needed work here and there. There were things on the Meng I liked better,  but was left wanting more. The Tamiya M1's never gave me a thrill. The 1991 kit from RFM looks very good in the box, and my get the one with the interior. What want is an M1 IP, and both XM1's. Have little want for the Tusk version.

I too have the RFM, Dragon and Meng and I think Academy win hands down. And the best part is you can do a non-Tusk version with it. I am targeting this specific vehicle in my build: M1A2 V2 in Winter Scheme  

After making the post on the A10, I did some thinking. Just who would I want in the driver's seat? No doubt Tamiya would do a nice while skimping on the very finest details. Bronco would be the opposite, but take eighteen months to get it built! Believe it or not Hasegawa keeps popping up in my head! Maybe Meng, but doubt they'll ever see the latest and greatest versions of the A10!

To be honest every time a think in a new tool 1/48 jet I think in Hasegawa. But nowadays even Tamiya releases more new tool aircraft than Hasegawa.

I'll be honest with you and say Hasegawa should completely retool the A4 Skyhawk series in both 1/48th and , 1/32 scales.  I don't mean just the E but all of them! If they did them as well as they did the A6m5c kit, I be good for at least a half dozen and maybe more!!!!

Gary

I concur but I doubt that Hasewaga will incur in the cost to do a full retool.

someone mentioned that AMK have been very silent on the matter of the rear fuselage. I thought the picture that started the discussion was just a matter of lighting.  Typically Martin will correct the naysayers with a photo or something. at this point I am starting to think "gunsightOne" discovered a real flaw, and the folks at AMK are in damage control.

the only response I have seen was a very weak response from Martin saying that it is a low quality test shot. but as Berkut had pointed out, the shape would have already been carved in steel with the only changes would be small refinements at this point.

the more I see of this kit, the less enthused I am.

19 hours ago, dylan said:

someone mentioned that AMK have been very silent on the matter of the rear fuselage. I thought the picture that started the discussion was just a matter of lighting.  Typically Martin will correct the naysayers with a photo or something. at this point I am starting to think "gunsightOne" discovered a real flaw, and the folks at AMK are in damage control.

the only response I have seen was a very weak response from Martin saying that it is a low quality test shot. but as Berkut had pointed out, the shape would have already been carved in steel with the only changes would be small refinements at this point.

Same feeling, the more I see it, the more it looks like an accuracy problem than just bad photos.

It's quite odd nobody appears to have noticed it in the CAD phase.

Given the problems AMK was having just to get this thing into production and the state of the competition, the situation doesn't look pretty at all.

15 hours ago, Berkut said:

Print it out and read it like a bible before fondling the kit.

In all honesty, I think that would be such a waste of resources when actually IAGeezer can always come here and read it online the times he wishes to.

6 hours ago, dylan said:

I agree. Perhaps some aftermarket manufacturor is aware of this issue and is already working on a correction set for it...?

18 hours ago, Berkut said:

And did you actually check the CAD's?

Uhh... from the pictures normal users and AMK reps have posted on this board? Yes.

17 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

I agree. Perhaps some aftermarket manufacturor is aware of this issue and is already working on a correction set for it...? 

Only if AMK is content with what it has right now, there's still a possiblity that they'll fix the problem but it won't be easy.

They'll need to cut some new steel for the fuselage's rear end and the stabilizers.

6 hours ago, kaz said:

Same feeling, the more I see it, the more it looks like an accuracy problem than just bad photos.

It's quite odd nobody appears to have noticed it in the CAD phase.

Given the problems AMK was having just to get this thing into production and the state of the competition, the situation doesn't look pretty at all.

I know little about AMK, but it's very possible that there was a mistake somewhere between the CAD files and the tooling of the dies. When you deal with subcontractors, the potential for miscommunication and errors rises considerably. We tend to see things through the filter of an enthusiast, but the reality of the matter is that if indeed a mistake is made somewhere along the chain, it's not always cost-feasible to re-tool on the first run, especially when the project is already behind schedule. Pragmatism & profit > accuracy.

21 minutes ago, GunsightOne said:

I know little about AMK, but it's very possible that there was a mistake somewhere between the CAD files and the tooling of the dies. When you deal with subcontractors, the potential for miscommunication and errors rises considerably. We tend to see things through the filter of an enthusiast, but the reality of the matter is that if indeed a mistake is made somewhere along the chain, it's not always cost-feasible to re-tool on the first run, especially when the project is already behind schedule. Pragmatism & profit > accuracy.

I agree, the CAD files we've seen actually look pretty good, but that doesn't mean they we're the one's used. That or an error or miscommunication.

I have been looking at more photos of the area and I am inclined to agree with the points made by delide where he pointed out an area that should be straight. If any of you have the Squadron F-14 Walk Around, on pages 74 and 75 there are some very good photos of an F-14A undergoing major maintenance and it shows the areas in question both with and without the air bags (in the with ones the bags are clearly deflated). It is very easy to see the straight panel pointed out by delide and the true amount of curve that occurs forward of that point.