3 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

Well, it depends on which religion you profess, Mstor. :tease:

OK, you got me there :doh:

BTW, that last pic you posted, I've been looking at it and there's something not quite right about it. I think, not sure, but I think its been photoshopped. I know that I'll figure it out if I keep looking. The nose cone? :hmmm:

P.S. Did some quick Googling. Never was a big fan of Stephen.

Edited by Mstor
On 11/20/2018 at 12:35 PM, Manuel J. Armas S. said:

More reference for this one…
This one will be include in AMK F-14D

Grumman F-14D 164600 VF-31 CVW-14 Fallon 24Oct97 RJF

Wow nice scheme, love it. Is it me or is this a different grey than the normal TPS ones?

3 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

Is it me or is this a different grey than the normal TPS ones?

When you get tired of questioning kit accuracy based on photos of test shots,

you can always start questioning color accuracy based on photos of the real jet.

That should be good for another 20 pages or so.....

:monkeydance:

Edited by habu2
14 minutes ago, habu2 said:

When you get tired of questioning kit accuracy based on photos of test shots,

you can always start questioning color accuracy based on photos of the real jet.

That should be good for another 20 pages or so.....

:monkeydance:

I'm questioning whether it's a real jet. To quote one of my favorite movies, "It's only a model." 😂

I swear, reading through this thread (the last few pages in particular) is the bulletin board equivilent of wading through a kiddie pool of STD-infected needles... only the STD in question lowers your IQ and makes you question  your life's decisions.

5 hours ago, shion said:

As references,

rear curves of a 1/48 Hasegawa F-14:

Dro4s9YU4AA_d5I.jpg:large

of a Fine Mold 1/72 F-14:

DqyahhHVYAA34z-.jpgDqyahhFV4AAF9aS.jpg

Weird I can see the pictures on my tablet but not on my desk top computer. Wonder what's up with that?

6 hours ago, shion said:

As references,

rear curves of a 1/48 Hasegawa F-14:

Dro4s9YU4AA_d5I.jpg:large

Look at the Hasegawa kit and how the Japanese have nailed the rear flanks. One can help but wonder: Why, AMK; WHY!?

25 minutes ago, skyhawk174 said:

Weird I can see the pictures on my tablet but not on my desk top computer. Wonder what's up with that?

Perhaps the SWMBO has disabled the option to see images on the desktop computer so that you are not able to see the fat-arse Cat picture I posted on the previous page?

Cheers,

Onigiri

the only shape "issue" of the Hasegawa kit is the excessive thickness of this leading edge:

mvpvyf.jpg

an-f-14d-tomcat-launches-off-the-flight-

for all the rest it captures the particular lines of the tomcat very well.

p.s. actually even the windshield gets up too much (as in the 1/32 Tamiya model), the angle of connection with the muzzle should be less accentuated

Edited by Alpagueur

If you really want to get into accuracy discussions of the Hasegawa Tomcat, there a lot of issues. Depends how detail oriented and precise you want to get....

tails are too tall and narrow, strakes are too long and short and don't have the correct placement, exhaust fairings are mis-shaped, wing flaps are incorrectly molded for dropped flaps, slats are too narrow, TVSU is undersized (A/B) IRST (D) has a funky shape, tailhook is too long and narrow, intakes are squared off, front gear doors are too short... the list goes on. 

But does any of that matter? Unless you need your model to be a perfect 1:1 replica, probably not. It looks like a Tomcat and for a long time was the best thing out there. I don't think you can base accuracy off another model to compare. I believe the AMK kit will be great and I stopped paying attention to the arguments over an old test shot a long time ago. When it comes out, it'll be what it is. I, and a lot of other people will buy it. Maybe it isn't a perfect 1:1 reduction, maybe it is. It's a model and it looks as good or better than what's out there. We all have our quest for the perfect model, and in recent times, kits have gotten closer and closer to that mark. Sometimes to me, that's a joy in modeling - working to bring a perfect scale reproduction. I've never gotten there and probably never will, but with kits like this, I'm getting closer. I love the Tamiya kit, and I'm betting I'll love the AMK kit. Just like for the last 25yrs I loved the Hasegawa kit. 

✌️

1 hour ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

strakes are too long and short and don't have the correct placement

Too long and short, Brian? :dontknow:  The ventral strakes? I don't think I follow.

1 hour ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

the list goes on. 

How does the list go on, out of genuine curiosity?

Cheers,

Onigiri

Yeah confused me too. Brian probably means it is short in height.

As for that list it does sound like it is quite the project if you needed to correct everything. I have 6 of the Hasegawa kits in my stash and I will probably keep them. I am still on the fence on the AMK kit for no other reason that I have too many Tomcat kits I  am NOT building. Hey I even have 3 Monogram ones, 1 Academy version, 1 HB F-14D (got for real good price) and got rid of the Fujimi POS many years ago.

A launch diorama has been on my list for some time but it was going to be difficult. Now with the AMK kit, that becomes way easier. We'll see how I feel once the kit comes out.

6 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

We all have our quest for the perfect model, and in recent times, kits have gotten closer and closer to that mark.

The HazMAT Bronco was well on its way to being a contender.
I wonder where HazMAT and AMK might be right now if the Bronco tooling had been successful and on schedule?

:cheers:

2 hours ago, Space Tiger Hobbes said:

Wow, blaspheming the sainted Hasegawa kit. This thread has everything. If there's any silver lining to this thread, maybe it will stop people from comparing one kit to another kit like it's the real thing.

Not at all. Read into it my love and appreciation for the Hasegawa kit. For its time. And how those details and not perfect accuracy never affected my joy of building it. But yet they did exist and I never cried that the kit was unbuildable because of it. 

And strakes are too long  in length, too short in height and placed incorrectly on the body. 

Brian 

6 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Not at all. Read into it my love and appreciation for the Hasegawa kit. For its time. And how those details and not perfect accuracy never affected my joy of building it. But yet they did exist and I never cried that the kit was unbuildable because of it. 

And strakes are too long  in length, too short in height and placed incorrectly on the body. 

Brian 

Sorry, that was tongue-in-cheek. Commentary on how people post photos of other supposedly perfect models to point to flaws in another model... that hasn't been released yet.

1 hour ago, Space Tiger Hobbes said:

Sorry, that was tongue-in-cheek. Commentary on how people post photos of other supposedly perfect models to point to flaws in another model... that hasn't been released yet.

No one here talks about perfect models, these photos are only provided to show how others manufacturers made the famous "optical illusion".

So it seems that Hasegawa, Fine Molds and Tamiya (who made their Tomcat with Grumman help ) pretty much design these parts the same way.

It seems that Grumman too design these part of the real plane this way.

In the end, it's interesting to know now, in 2018, that they all (manufacturer of the real plane, included) did it wrong.

And finally, it's a funny evolution of the topic:

- before the release of plastic parts photos:  "the best Tomcat model kit ever", preorder, etc.

- after this release, when innacuracies are emphasised: "there's no perfect kit", diva quit, ad hominem, false irony.

Edited by shion
3 hours ago, shion said:

No one here talks about perfect models, these photos are only provided to show how others manufacturers made the famous "optical illusion".

So it seems that Hasegawa, Fine Molds and Tamiya (who made their Tomcat with Grumman help ) pretty much design these parts the same way.

It seems that Grumman too design these part of the real plane this way.

In the end, it's interesting to know now, in 2018, that they all (manufacturer of the real plane, included) did it wrong.

And finally, it's a funny evolution of the topic:

- before the release of plastic parts photos:  "the best Tomcat model kit ever", preorder, etc.

- after this release, when innacuracies are emphasised: "there's no perfect kit", diva quit, ad hominem, false irony.

It really, really sounds like you have an ax to grind in all of this.