On 4/4/2019 at 5:50 PM, glorystomper said:

according to your posts, you must have unfollowed this thread like 5 times since the beginning of the year... (jan 3, mar 13, mar 17, march 18, apr 4)

Yeah...Maybe even more than that.

Time to unfollow again......

On 3/20/2019 at 4:47 AM, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Gotta say those HB wings suck pretty bad. They don’t fit well together. The ‘riveting’ is massively excessive and imaginary. The slats are wrong in size and in extension. They have have the slat rails coming straight out - not so in the real thing. And the angel and shape of the formation lights edge of the wing is wrong. Basically I see nothing on the HB wings worth saving or adapting. Haseohas it’s own issues with the flaps... Tamiya nailed the wings but they are locked closed... 

Would like to see AMK knock it out of the park with the extended wings and spoilers.... but still haven’t seen the slat rails. They’ve compromised the attachment strength with solid parts as far as I can see. May work out well... but in real life the only part of the tail that touches the slat is the underside leading edge. I’m excited to see what/how AMK does it and very excited Thor the spoiler option. Perfect realism isn’t needed as long as it fits the part. 

On 4/3/2019 at 3:39 AM, dehowie said:

At almost $90 bucks with shipping ie i can buy another Tamiya kit for $10 less than the KA wings i can live with trimming the 1mm needed to get the slats correctly sized.

For those with HB kits in stashes a free set of slatted wings is a far better option even if they need to spend 10 minutes on the trailing edge to resize them rather than parting with more money for wings which will most likely bend over time if you live in a warm environment.

Not to mention you can buy a Tamiya F-14 for less well at least where i shop Tokyo and Osaka.

”Massively excessive”?

You must have a different HB kit to me as the scale of the panel lines and surface detail is shall we say completely superior to that of the AMK Mig-31 and 98% of every other kit out there.

If the AMK F-14 looks anything like that god help AMK as the Mig’s panel lines are huge by comparison.

The HB wing rivet detail is as fine as any rivet work i have seen maybe other than the Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire. If you wanted you could remove it easily with one pass of surfacer but the panel lines are so fine like Tamiya you risk losing the fine panels.

Given you can still get a very respectable F-14 out of a HB kit for 98% of people not caring for perfection which if they are so caring wont touch the AMK kit anyway with any of the visible issues.

A wing swap is a very easy to accomplish mod for “free” and ten minutes with a file and sandpaper.

I'd like to add to the HB wing discussion that apart from the too large slats sitting at the wrong angle when extended the flap hinges all need rebuilding to look presentable (yes, that is a subjective issue) and joining the acual top and bottom wing half require plenty of filler (as Brian points out).

Not exactly a walk in the park, but of course it's still manageable for anyone who has the time and patience.

But in my view life is just too short...

Edited by Anders_Isaksson
Just now, Solo said:

During next month I am going to celebrate second anniversary of my preorder purchase (yes, it is just 2 years).
How do you think, how should I commemorate this very special time?

By Building 2 Tamiya F-14s?

2 hours ago, Solo said:

During next month I am going to celebrate second anniversary of my preorder purchase (yes, it is just 2 years).

Glenmorangie 10-year, best bang for the buck in single malts.

4 hours ago, Solo said:

Brother, all I can say is when those kits finally ship, play that tracking number in the lottery, because it will surely be your lucky day!

• 2 weeks later...

Little news to anyone interested in the AMK F-14 kit.

The Moson Show 2019 will be next weekend on 27th and 28th of April. According to the plans the new sprues of the kit will be shown at Annetra stand, the distributor for AMK kits.

Also premier of the US weapons set will be here too.

Best regards

Gabor

The US Weapons set No.1 should be available at the Moson show.

It has in it:

Mk.82 bomb

GBU-12

GBU-16

GBU-38

GBU-31

AIM-7

AIM-9

AIM-54

LAU-3

LAU-68

LANTIRN

SAIP

AN/ALQ-167

TARPS

Best regards

Gabor

weapon set 1.jpg

Edited by ya-gabor
3 hours ago, Manuel J. Armas S. said:

TOMCAT IS COMING!

I have a pile of beautiful Tomcats...from Tamiya...

They have beautifully fine panel lines...the engineering is easily the best i have ever seen in any plastic kit ever in my hands in 40 odd years of modelling and its shape is spot on.

The questions remain if AMK can do all of those things as based off the Mig-31 the answer is no(panel lines).

But hopefully they can get the shape sorted or it will literally be a Turkey of the Turkey...

I have a pile of Mig-31’s and had high hopes for AMK being the next big thing but realistically Great Wall are the big thing and AMK sadly cant even get one kit out every 5 years...

Edited by dehowie

well... AMK posted this on their facebook page. there were more than a few unfriendly comments.

" Apologies to everyone for my absence for a while. Personal issues have kept me away and rather distracted of late.
You have my personal apology and please do not lose faith in AMK. Things are moving on and the Tomcat IS coming. I have had personal guarantees.
Thank you for the patience and support. I understand it has not been easy for anyone but things are about to get better. For all of us I hope. "