- headrest proportions seem off.

- recessed steps seem to shallow and proportions seem off too.

- details seem shallow.

- some recessed lines seem shallow, others too deep and wide.

- they just decided to put a heavy recessed line all the way, out of nowhere: http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/howard_mason2/f-14d/images/f-14d_050_of_103.jpg.

This line exists, but is almost invisible in real life: https://www.navy.mil/management/photodb/photos/030415-N-4142G-141.jpg

Most "surprising" thing is how warped these parts are.

Look at the two-part headrest, this gap.

Look at the separated inner wall part and how it doesn't fit with fuselage part.

You know worst comes to worst, at The price of the preorder with the free misile set its still cheaper then those resin wings for the Tamiya tomcat. As long as the wings are nice! 

For me it looks fine. Cockpit seems to be more detailed then Tamiya F-14D, but panel lines looks a little too shallow.

Of course I whish to see better pictures, but this doesn't look bad. It could be nice if this long waiting come to the end.

Edited by Solo
1 hour ago, Solo said:

For me it looks fine. Cockpit seems to be more detailed then Tamiya F-14D, but panel lines looks a little too shallow.

Of course I whish to see better pictures, but this doesn't look bad. It could be nice if this long waiting come to the end.

I agree about the cockpit being better. The Tamiya cockpits in their F-14's are pretty poor and for the most part fictitious.

Dave

5 hours ago, shion said:

- headrest proportions seem off.

- recessed steps seem to shallow and proportions seem off too.

- details seem shallow.

- some recessed lines seem shallow, others too deep and wide.

- they just decided to put a heavy recessed line all the way, out of nowhere: http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/howard_mason2/f-14d/images/f-14d_050_of_103.jpg.

This line exists, but is almost invisible in real life: https://www.navy.mil/management/photodb/photos/030415-N-4142G-141.jpg

Most "surprising" thing is how warped these parts are.

Look at the two-part headrest, this gap.

Look at the separated inner wall part and how it doesn't fit with fuselage part.

So, all negative and not a single positive? That speaks volumes about the bias you have with this kit. Let's address each one of your criticisms. 

- If the proportions of the headrest are off, it's not that noticeable. The seats are serviceable, especially if you're going to put aircrew in them. I would assume most will get aftermarket seats anyway.

- Most, if not all, Tomcat kits have step wells that are too shallow. The vast majority of builds will have them up, so it's a trivial thing.

- Which details are you referring to that are too shallow? The cockpit detail looks pretty decent to me.

- Are there more pictures that I'm missing? There are only a couple of visible panel lines in the picture. I'm not sure any definitive conclusion can be drawn from this single picture.

- If you a referring to the line beneath the canopy sill, you would be correct.

- There are a lot lines on various models that exist but are invisible in real life.

- I'm not sure "warped" is the correct term. You can't judge fit by one picture. We have no idea who put the parts together. We tend to think that everyone who works at a model company is a modeler. That is totally false. The lack of fit can very easily (and probably is) because of the builder, not the parts.

If I were judging the kit just from this single picture, I'd probably put it at a 7.5-8/10. If released right now, it would probably be in the top three or four, depending on what you want out of a model. However, I'll wait until I can actually build it and then I'll make some decisions.

I am sure the two boarding steps are made that way since the whole cockpit section is a one part moulded part.

Examining parts / sprues on show at Moson some of the fine design features were evident. Looking at parts not only as a modeller but also from a stand point of parts break down and engineering. The actual cockpit tab slides into the one part front section from behind on rails inside for good fit. I guess that a particular front section wall thickness had to be kept for injection moulding and to get the tab inside. I don’t think that the depth of the steps is any problem.

Best regards

Gabor

1 hour ago, Darren Roberts said:

- Most, if not all, Tomcat kits have step wells that are too shallow. The vast majority of builds will have them up, so it's a trivial thing.

You are correct. Here's a pic of Tamiya's. About the same depth (I know, the pic is kinda small. Weren't many pics that I found that I could upload directly to ARC).

1600452423_Tamiya61118GrummanF-14DTomcat148AircraftModelKitB07DKH325R_1.jpg.5e109fd05ba918c7d35bc85773ffe533.jpg

I'd say that, so far, the cockpit looks OK. There are more pics online, but I am hesitant to post them. Not sure if I'll get in trouble. Don't want to lose my access to their Facebook page just yet.

3 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

I hate to say it, but they're all toys.

You will burn in Wakanda for what you had said , I have a box that says 'Its not a toy, intended for children 40+'...

4 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

So, all negative and not a single positive? That speaks volumes about the bias you have with this kit. Let's address each one of your criticisms. 

- If the proportions of the headrest are off, it's not that noticeable. The seats are serviceable, especially if you're going to put aircrew in them. I would assume most will get aftermarket seats anyway.

- Which details are you referring to that are too shallow? The cockpit detail looks pretty decent to me.

- Are there more pictures that I'm missing? There are only a couple of visible panel lines in the picture. I'm not sure any definitive conclusion can be drawn from this single picture.

- If you a referring to the line beneath the canopy sill, you would be correct.

- There are a lot lines on various models that exist but are invisible in real life.

- I'm not sure "warped" is the correct term. You can't judge fit by one picture. We have no idea who put the parts together. We tend to think that everyone who works at a model company is a modeler. That is totally false. The lack of fit can very easily (and probably is) because of the builder, not the parts.

If I were judging the kit just from this single picture, I'd probably put it at a 7.5-8/10. If released right now, it would probably be in the top three or four, depending on what you want out of a model. However, I'll wait until I can actually build it and then I'll make some decisions.

Not intending this to be aggressive so please don't take it that way but I think the point of view that either the seat parts will be covered by pilots (which is probably more rare than open cockpit builds) or they will be replaced is not a good excuse (and I know it's not you who are excusing, just in general I mean). Same with the steps being shallow. True, some will build with closed but I bet MOST will have them open and just because everyone missed the depth in the past doesn't excuse the most accurate F-14 model of all times having them wrong. I do however agree you can't judge the seat and seal seam based on that pic. They might be dry fit or like you say an amateur builder put it together.

Overall I am still cautiously optimistic about the model BUT I wouldn't say you could overlook the posted concerns. Because, at least in my eyes, they are legitimate concerns. The fact other manufactures have the same errors doesn't change if it's correct or not.  The canopy seal detail is a nice touch, something I've often wondered why not many companies have tackled that on many jets. Still keeping an eye out for this one, just not real warm and fuzzy yet.

Edited by niart17

Each person is entitled to his or her own opinion. I understand the frustration about a promising project turning into a four-year cluster, and I hate to see such a missed opportunity for AMK and modelers, but from my point of view:

• I may notice during assembly that the step well recesses are shallow. When I'm done with the build, I won't care and neither will anyone else.
  • I may notice that the refueling bay door outline is a bit skewed. See above.
  • I may note that the panel lines are... different from those on other brands of 1/48 F-14. See above.
  • I may notice that the contour of the rear fuselage is not quite faithful to the original. See above..
  • I may think that the surface details are a bit too pronounced, or that the shape of a few parts is janky, but... See above.

What matters to me?

• First and foremost, the fit and engineering of the kit. Never having built an AMK kit, I don't have a feel for what to expect. This would be an easy kit to over-engineer. 
  • I will build one Tomcat in launch position, with flaps and slats out and nose gear compressed, on the catapult with the shooter in the iconic launch position. Every time I see the completed model, I will appreciate the look of the scene and will be glad that I finally completed that vignette.
  • I will choose, with difficulty, a great set of markings for my model - probably from Fightertown or Furball. When I'm done with the model, I will be glad to see another set of great decals on a model where they belong.
  • If the model is a pleasure to build, I will build another in the flight position, as if it is seconds from trapping: hook down, flaps and slats and spoilers and stabilators all doing their own thing, in the classic "turkey" look. Every time I see that completed model, I'll take the time to look from several angles and appreciate my favorite plane all over again.
1 hour ago, niart17 said:

"... doesn't excuse the most accurate F-14 model of all times having them wrong."

I think this is the root cause of much of the angst around this kit. This, and the whole "preorder" fiasco. If AMK had simply released this kit when it was ready, I think it would have been much more well-received, and the things listed as negatives would have been passing comments instead of deal breakers. Look how long we lived with the Hasegawa kit, and that has a myriad of issues. But no one really talks about them as deal-breakers and, aside from the fit, the Hasegawa kit is looked on as one of the nicer kits. In the end, AMK probably dropped the ball with the PR they did on this kit. They were trying to generate enthusiasm, but due to circumstances (either in or beyond their control...we'll never really know) that created a perfect storm, they got bit in rear.