33 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

You could stop it on the last post on page 199. To be so close, yet so far. Kind of like the AMK Tomcat!

Oh so cruel.....  😫

Why isn't there a similar rally cry for the GWH Tomcat? I would love to see a thread in the same vein : )   We can maybe switch our attention to that and give them a boost.  Maybe offer sone tips and lend them a hand but hopefully not scare them away.

43 minutes ago, crackerjazz said:

Why isn't there a similar rally cry for the GWH Tomcat? I would love to see a thread in the same vein : )   We can maybe switch our attention to that and give them a boost.  Maybe offer sone tips and lend them a hand but hopefully not scare them away.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results.....

10 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

Maybe because they didn’t come out of the gate promising the Tomcat kit to end all Tomcat kits?

Mark

On 7/4/2019 at 5:36 PM, habu2 said:

Is it me or does the rear end of that horse look fat ???

They clearly did not have access to a real horse so they relied on pictures on the internet to do the cad work.

21 hours ago, AndrewPerren said:

They clearly did not have access to a real horse so they relied on pictures on the internet to do the cad work.

I guess they were just horsing around with that one...😃

21 hours ago, AndrewPerren said:

You’d think if you were setting out to make the most accurate Tomcat ever you could spare the resources to measure and photograph the real thing

36 minutes ago, Vaildog said:

You’d think if you were setting out to make the most accurate Tomcat ever you could spare the resources to measure and photograph the real thing

Supposedly they did have access to the real thing.

6 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

As good as zapping the jet with a shrinking ray gun : )

Not at all because the CAD model has to be made from scratch so human error can creep in. An example is the Airfix 1/72 MiG-17: designer did not replicate the wing airfoils accurately while the info was in the scan.

Making a scan requires sending some guys to a museum/airbase with expensive optical equipments perhaps mounted on a drone (to capture the top of the airframe). How much would that cost ? Would the kit's ROI be high enough to justify such expenditures ? Would a kit producer accept to pay dunno 5000USD just for a set of laser scan capture STL files when he'd still have to do the CAD from scratch ? I'm not quite sure.

Edited by Laurent
9 hours ago, B.Sin said:

Supposedly they did have access to the real thing.

How much ? It's easy to measure some things like the dimensions of landing gear struts or doors, intakes and some other things but many measurements are not convient at all to make especially when you need to climb on the aircraft to make them. It's dangerous and if the airframe is in a museum, the museum is unlikey to allow access. Take the thickness of a wing glove... how do you measure it without the risk of damaging the airframe ? One can scan some areas of the aircraft but as suggested in my previous post it doesn't guarantee the actual CAD will be accurate. In any case the CAD (not just top/bottom/front/side snapshots of it) would need to be peer-reviewed to correct errors.

8 hours ago, Laurent said:

How much would that cost ? Would the kit's ROI be high enough to justify such expenditures ? 

Would it have been more expensive than scrapping and re-doing a whole bunch of really expensive steel tooling, plus all the time and computer resources it takes in order to fix mistakes they could have avoided in the first place?  Not to mention the well deserved roasting they're going to take, and the damage to their brand by putting out an inaccurate kit, when the information they needed to do it right was easily available for the asking?  I doubt it very much.

Edited by Sleepy
57 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

Would it have been more expensive than scrapping and re-doing a whole bunch of really expensive steel tooling, plus all the time and computer resources it takes in order to fix mistakes they could have avoided in the first place?

That's the thing. I doesn't look like they scrapped anything. Doesn't look like they corrected even the worst problems, the shape issues in the rear and the IFR probe placement. Now there is evidence that there are even more serious dimensional errors. I don't know what they were doing all this time. Maybe they just did a cost benefit analysis and decided that it wasn't worth it to correct the errors and they are going to release the kit as seen in recent photos in the near future. I wouldn't be surprised if there was an internal debate between those that wanted to correct the issues and those that thought it would be too costly and that's what they been doing for that last few months. Well, it looks like the later won out.

Hopefully AMK has learned a lesson or two from all this. One, do better research even if it costs more. Especially if they are trying to place themselves as a top tier model company known for innovative and accurate kits. Two, no more crazy stunts like the pre-order debacle. That has really sullied their reputation. Three, manage their press releases better. If they want to get crowd sourced input and help on their kit designs, then show the CAD very early, long before finalization. Then once it is finalized, cease peppering the public with teasers cause if there are still problems, we're going to find them and hammer them with them. Do what Kinetic is doing. No pics until the kit is on its way to distributors.

Well, we'll see what happens. :dontknow: