2 hours ago, galfa said:

And then, look:

1060280548_AMK02a.thumb.jpg.6f0b2c4fd9e27d73756be9ff825f6024.jpg

Looks horrible and unbuildable, so don't buy it....

Just for a giggle, I blew up these pictures, held my old Monogram kit up to them, and the curve with White line attached(Aren't you supposed to use Red?) is an exact match to the 39(?) year-old Monogram kit... The whole "Big hips" rant has been a non-issue.

Let the flames and self justification begin...

1 hour ago, IAGeezer said:

... Just for a giggle, I blew up these pictures, held my old Monogram kit up to them, and the curve with White line attached(Aren't you supposed to use Red?) is an exact match to the 39(?) year-old Monogram kit ...

Dear IAGeezer,

I did the same with my Monogram, Academy, Hobby Boss, Hasegawa, and Tamiya kits and I didn't get an exact match.

Not at all.

So, would you please post a picture showing that you are right and that I am wrong ?

Looking forward to that.

Edited by galfa

The difference is visible but not as pronounced in 2D as some might think. 3D is different case. Also there is no engine fairing which in my opinion doubles the effect.

Nobody says it's unbuildable, but I believe it will look different when placed next to Tamiya kit. Can't wait to see built comparison.

10 hours ago, galfa said:

Dear IAGeezer,

I did the same with my Monogram, Academy, Hobby Boss, Hasegawa, and Tamiya kits and I didn't get an exact match.

Not at all.

So, would you please post a picture showing that you are right and that I am wrong ?

Looking forward to that.

How about you post all of those photos and prove the AMK kit is the only one that isn't correct?

Edited by Dave Roof
4 minutes ago, Solo said:

So, those hips are rounded, and should be...?

Presumably less rounded. I can clearly see differences between the Tamiya and AMK curves and volumes but I have absolutely no idea if they are to be attributed to the camera focal or effective differences. Besides, those white curve lines do not help at deciding for or against.

As far as I am concerned, I will wait for a detailed comparison but I am thinking that even if the AMK kit fails in the hip test, I will find a good home for its dirty wings -> use them on my Tamiya Tomcat, and sell the remainder of the AMK kit.

25 minutes ago, Silver Seraph said:

Presumably less rounded. I can clearly see differences between the Tamiya and AMK curves and volumes but I have absolutely no idea if they are to be attributed to the camera focal or effective differences. Besides, those white curve lines do not help at deciding for or against.

As far as I am concerned, I will wait for a detailed comparison but I am thinking that even if the AMK kit fails in the hip test, I will find a good home for its dirty wings -> use them on my Tamiya Tomcat, and sell the remainder of the AMK kit.

Maybe Tamiya got it wrong?

10 minutes ago, B.Sin said:

Maybe Tamiya got it wrong?

That is the thing : I can spot differences between the 2 kits but do we know for sure Tamiya is 100% correct? I would not know. Comparing them would only prove there is, or not, a difference and from there we can start, or not, investigating who is right.

Anyway, right or wrong, I am glad we now have more choice when it comes to 1/48 Tomcats.

I like some aspects of Tamiya's kit, I like some aspects of AMK's kit. Not being on a budget, I will probably combine the best of both kits to pump out my dreamed Tomcat kit.

Ok, that was page 196.76, anyone for page 196.80?

Or maybe... and this is a crazy idea I know...those who want to buy this kit can buy it, collect it, build it or do whatever they please with it. Those who don't want to buy it can pass and move on to whatever does interest them. I'm certainly no big Tomcat fan so I guess I'm missing something but I just don't get the fervor with which the AMK fans and those who are not so much are arguing and bickering over this. Sadly,  I predict that this squabbling between both sides won't end at 200 or in this thread. Once this kit gets in some peoples hands I see threads and/or endless posts arguing over which kit is better...Tamiya or AMK (add in GWH when/if they throw there's in the ring)... red lines everywhere! It will be like a styrene crime scene...

Image result for red lines

Happy modeling everyone...enjoy your time at the workbench!

19 minutes ago, Don said:

Or maybe... and this is a crazy idea I know...those who want to buy this kit can buy it, collect it, build it or do whatever they please with it. Those who don't want to buy it can pass and move on to whatever does interest them. I'm certainly no big Tomcat fan so I guess I'm missing something but I just don't get the fervor with which the AMK fans and those who are not so much are arguing and bickering over this. Sadly,  I predict that this squabbling between both sides won't end at 200 or in this thread. Once this kit gets in some peoples hands I see threads and/or endless posts arguing over which kit is better...Tamiya or AMK (add in GWH when/if they throw there's in the ring)... red lines everywhere! It will be like a styrene crime scene...

Image result for red lines

Happy modeling everyone...enjoy your time at the workbench!

"A styrene crime scene", BAHAHA!!!

Good one!

I'm not interested in telling anyone to either buy or not to buy the AMK Tomcat; I just concur with those who affirm there's something which look odd in the rear flanks of the AMK kit.

I just can't believe people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the hips in the Tamiya and AMK kits. It's there for all to see.

There's no flat spot whatsoever on the curve on the AMK kit's rear flank, while there is clearly a flat spot on the Tamiya kit on the pictures posted above.

In the built kits' pictures of both models the difference in the rear flanks are also evident. They look too awkward in the AMK kit. 

11 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

How about you post all of those photos and prove the AMK kit is the only one that isn't correct?

Dave,

"There are none so blind as those who will not see"

Matthew 9:26-27

Edited by galfa
35 minutes ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

I'm not interested in telling anyone to either buy or not to buy the AMK Tomcat; I just concur with those who affirm there's something which look odd in the rear flanks of the AMK kit.

I just can't believe people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the hips in the Tamiya and AMK kits. It's there for all to see.

There's no flat spot whatsoever on the curve on the AMK kit's rear flank, while there is clearly a flat spot on the Tamiya kit on the pictures posted above.

In the built kits' pictures of both models the difference in the rear flanks are also evident. They look too awkward in the AMK kit. 

Hubbie,

I do agree with you.

In addition, the curve on the AMK kit's rear flank makes for underscaled exhausts.