8 minutes ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

Granted on the IFR panel; I couldn't care less about the TARPS pod either.

But how could ever be easy to fix the wrong shape of the AMK Tomcat hips, I wonder? If it only were for the shape on the vertical surface of the hip, but it's not that there's just one surface to correct in the AMK kit, Manuel. 

And if that were not enough, then it's the mating surface on the inner edges of the elevators that you've got to tamper with as well.

Just waiting to have the kit in my hands, and see what is off shape, and we can figure it out how fix it…
The hips can be done with some sanding or casting that zone.

3 minutes ago, Manuel J. Armas S. said:

Just waiting to have the kit in my hands, and see what is off shape, and we can figure it out how fix it…
The hips can be done with some sanding or casting that zone.

Oh, yeah? I'd really like to know about the impressions Fede Rocha has got with regard to the releasement of this kit.

What does he think about the issues in it? Is he expecting it to be released or did he lose faith about it.

3 hours ago, Tapchan said:

I don't think so:

47082589_2191423911116805_1428553204081098752_n.jpg.2dcdc79e465aaf0eea83c3196303afbe.jpg

48552326852_0d48d30201_o.jpg

48552332752_9500da793a_o.jpg

PS. Just checked my almost finished HB-F-14A, the top hip shape is also made from straight lines, not curves.

Looking at your photos, it looks like Gruman got one side different than the other. Or does the camera lie?

The funny thing is that, in reality, few people will care about the things brought up in this thread and it will barely impact sales at all. The majority of modelers buy for things like options, price, details, etc., and “looks like a .....” is close enough.  People are going to be impressed by all the slide molded detail and the option of having the flaps down, and hardly anyone will care about the IFR probe door being slightly off, or the rear fuselage curves being a little off.  I’d be surprised if any reviews even mentioned these issues at all, much less made them out to be a deal breaker.  198 pages (currently) of lip flapping and slap fighting that ultimately has little impact on how well the kit will sell.

3 hours ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

But how could ever be easy to fix the wrong shape of the AMK Tomcat hips, I wonder?

...if there is anything wrong with them, which I doubt.

2 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

Looking at your photos, it looks like Gruman got one side different than the other. Or does the camera lie?

The photo is taken at an angle, not directly down the centerline.

See my post here for an explanation as to why it appears that way: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/285277-amk-148-f-14/&do=findComment&comment=2949760

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

The funny thing is that, in reality, few people will care about the things brought up in this thread and it will barely impact sales at all. The majority of modelers buy for things like options, price, details, etc., and “looks like a .....” is close enough.  People are going to be impressed by all the slide molded detail and the option of having the flaps down, and hardly anyone will care about the IFR probe door being slightly off, or the rear fuselage curves being a little off.  I’d be surprised if any reviews even mentioned these issues at all, much less made them out to be a deal breaker.  198 pages (currently) of lip flapping and slap fighting that ultimately has little impact on how well the kit will sell.

It does look like a nice kit with lots of nice details and features and you are right in that it will likely sell well.

It is not however the most accurate Tomcat kit evar and many people who have followed the saga are probably not very happy with AMK.

I think that many people who are aware of the kit issues would opt for the Tamiya offering and/or wait to see what the GWH 1/48 kit looks like. Assuming GWH fixes a few small details present on their 1/72 version before scaling up to 1/48, it should be a top contender for best Tomcat kit evar. Currently I'd place Tamiya firmly in first place for both accuracy and fidelity of detail.

:cheers:

10 minutes ago, Zactoman said:

I think that many people who are aware of the kit issues would opt for the Tamiya offering and/or wait to see what the GWH 1/48 kit looks like. Assuming GWH fixes a few small details present on their 1/72 version before scaling up to 1/48, it should be a top contender for best Tomcat kit evar. Currently I'd place Tamiya firmly in first place for both accuracy and fidelity of detail.

Yes, with you on that one Chris, I'm very happy with the Tamiya A and D so far, and will wait to get the B when/if it is released. Looking forward to see what GWH does with their F-14. I have an AMK on pre-order, and will be interested to see what it is finally like. Great time to be a Tomcat fan!

Edited by azzaob

Funny that you all take as for granded "problems" that you see on the photos, with no plastic in hand.

I did compare recent photos over scale drawings and although I have to admit not 100% spot on, nothing really wrong either.

On the other hand, I have almost never found any kit to be spot on. Because either the kit is wrong, or the particular drawings are somehow wrong.

The point is... 200+ pages, practically for nothing 😂😂😂

19 minutes ago, DIO said:

Funny that you all take as for granded "problems" that you see on the photos, with no plastic in hand.

I've been doing it for years.  Most of my correction sets (or planned sets) were considered in advance based solely on pics of kits (sometimes small, poor quality pics), before they were released and before I had the kit in-hand.

I can't recall once that a kit was determined to be wrong and then ended up being correct once the plastic was released.

4 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

The funny thing is that, in reality, few people will care about the things brought up in this thread and it will barely impact sales at all...

That's true.

However, I believe that threads like this are very important because they help the few people who care about accuracy to save their money.

2 hours ago, Zactoman said:

The photo is taken at an angle, not directly down the centerline.

See my post here for an explanation as to why it appears that way: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/285277-amk-148-f-14/&do=findComment&comment=2949760

I knew that from the start. The real issue is lens distortion. Cheap camera lenses are famous for this.

2 hours ago, Zactoman said:

It does look like a nice kit with lots of nice details and features and you are right in that it will likely sell well.

It is not however the most accurate Tomcat kit evar and many people who have followed the saga are probably not very happy with AMK.

I'll wait and see. They should have done an F100 or the F111 in my opinion

1 hour ago, DIO said:

I did compare recent photos over scale drawings and although I have to admit not 100% spot on, nothing really wrong either.

Most scale drawing are notorious for being inaccurate. Probably the only ones you could trust would be Grumman's plans and even then changes occur. I've seen four of five "scale drawings" of the F-14 and all are different in detail and often in basic shapes.

4 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

The funny thing is that, in reality, few people will care about the things brought up in this thread and it will barely impact sales at all...

This is true, but I come to this forum because I like to discuss these type of issues with other "scale modelers" that share the same passions for this hobby. If there were not people like us, the model kit manufacturers would still be making kits like the old Monogram kits with dropping bombs and moving landing gear. But we wanted more and the companies that make these kits saw this and responded. And now we have amazingly detailed model kits. I think back to the days when this hobby was just starting and the progress that has been made is amazing. And we are still pushing these companies to do better, and they will. :thumbsup:

43 minutes ago, galfa said:

That's true.

However, I believe that threads like this are very important because they help the few people who care about accuracy to save their money.

Thats true, but after 198 pages, I doubt many people, other than who are already participating in this thread, are going to bother sifting through it to obtain much useful information.  Not to mention, trying to figure out who’s right and who’s wrong.  It’s long past helping anyone deciding whether to buy the kit or not, it’s become more about people arguing and repeating their positions over and over because PEOPLE JUST WON’T LISTEN!

Edited by Dave Williams
11 hours ago, Jonathan S said:

Remember the GWH F-15 had a few such issues and later boxings of the kit fixed that.  Now it's the best F-15 in 1/48 IMHO.

One big difference: the GWH F-15 kit has actually been released.....

12 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

It’s long past helping anyone deciding whether to buy the kit or not, it’s become more about people arguing and repeating their positions over and over ... .

Sage.

Gene K

14 hours ago, goondman said:

Does anyone have a shrubbery that i may borrow? 

Yes. Shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is 'Roger the Shrubber'. I arrange, design, and sell shrubberies.

1 minute ago, Aigore said:

Yes. Shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is 'Roger the Shrubber'. I arrange, design, and sell shrubberies.

Oh good, I'll take 2! If you happen to have herring, I'll need one those as well. I have a date with mightiest tree in the forest

On 8/16/2019 at 2:03 PM, Manuel J. Armas S. said:

AMK Kfir too, they make an update and fix the fuselage...

Not so sure. 

Here http://scalemodels.ru/articles/13065-AMK-1-48-IAI-Kfir-C2-C7--parochka-lvjat.html is a build of both new and old versions and author claims both fuselages are the same showing some comparison photos.

New: 1555720623_10.JPG

and old: 1555720625_11.JPG