3 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

You realize, of course, that probably about 0.00000000000144298% of modelers worldwide have ever heard of ARC, much less read this entire 208 (and counting) page thread, right?  

Mirrors of this thread have gone viral on the dark-web. Volumes of discussions have erupted from the discussions here. It's a world-wide phenomenon...

Well, I am very much looking forward to buying this kit because I have always wanted to build an F14 about to do cat launch.

Having said that, trying to correct errors is part of the enjoyment of the hobby for me. 

Something definitely doesn't look quite right about the hips, so I am hopeful that talented modelers like Zacto can point out the actual shape error here when we have kit in hand. The other issues to me are relatively minor so I am not really cared about them. I tend to agree that the issue seems to be incorrect cross section of the hip area, as it look pretty accurate in plan view. This is unfortunate for me, as an error in cross-section is somewhat more difficult to correct than an error in plan view (which would involve holding it over a good drawing, and correcting until the shapes match).

Still, I think it looks like a really nice kit and I am very much looking forward to buying it.

13 hours ago, niart17 said:

And I'm not even going to mention the fact that the spine looks like it stops waaay too short and meets the top of the tail section at about the point where the raised section for the wing fold panel lines converge instead of far behind it like the real plane.

Oh this should be good for another 100 pages...  :doh:

The alleged “big hip” issue has effectively monopolized the collective scrutiny until you mentioned the alleged “short spine” issue. Now everyone is ignoring the hips and focusing on the spine.  Funny how that works. 

Modeling, like magic, is all about misdirection. 

1 hour ago, Timvkampen said:

208 pages...what I do wonder is why the Tamiya Tomcat does not have these shape issues...I assume both AMK and Tamiya did a 3D scan on the F-14? 

Because some are assuming there is a problem with the AMK while comparing and finding differences to the Tamiya kit which is considered... perfect 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by DIO
2 hours ago, Timvkampen said:

208 pages...what I do wonder is why the Tamiya Tomcat does not have these shape issues...I assume both AMK and Tamiya did a 3D scan on the F-14? 

Because Tamiya was supported by Northrop-Grumman.

So they 've got plenty of source material to check, recheck and triple-check geometries on the real planes.

You can see some pre-release and post-release public design reviews by Tamiya engineer teams on Youtube, like this one:

or this one:

They litteraly make what rivet counters usually do here, to explain and critic their own creations.

I hope one day they make a video like those about a aircraft kit.

AMK, no one knows.

They don't have a 3D scan of a Tomcat, for sure, but how they work, big question.

All we know, from the testimony of some experts they used, is "it's not very professionnal".

1 hour ago, shion said:

AMK, no one knows.

They don't have a 3D scan of a Tomcat, for sure, but how they work, big question.

All we know, from the testimony of some experts they used, is "it's not very professionnal".

If there is such testimony, tell us who that is and in which way they are unprofessional.

Otherwise I think should be better to delete this comment.

5 hours ago, habu2 said:

Oh this should be good for another 100 pages...  :doh:

The alleged “big hip” issue has effectively monopolized the collective scrutiny until you mentioned the alleged “short spine” issue. Now everyone is ignoring the hips and focusing on the spine.  Funny how that works. 

Modeling, like magic, is all about misdirection. 

hmm...really....I guess I didn't think about that....😉

on page 300, someone might get 2 of these kits...why not edge it along a little faster?

Bill

1 hour ago, DIO said:

If there is such testimony, tell us who that is and in which way they are unprofessional.

Otherwise I think should be better to delete this comment.

A French famous builder, they used as expert.

When first pics emerged and problems arose, they threw him and the other experts under the bus and naturally he reacted, describing how years ago he provided AMK a long list of perceived defaults (like the problem with the aft fuselage) and how he got absolutely no news about them and this list and if problems were solved or not. 

10 hours ago, Mstor said:

That's what I like. Someone who knows the panel numbers of an aircraft. Now that's my kind of OCD. :thumbsup: Well done Sir! Now all I need is a diagram showing all the panels and their numbers :whistle:.

It's not OCD, it's called over 15 years of working on the actual aircraft, including 5 different F-14 commands and 4 deployments.

If you want a diagram with all the panel numbers look in NAVAIR 01-F-14AAA-2-1 for the F-14A/B and NAVAIR 01-F-14AAD-2-1 for the F-14D.

And by the way, Turtleback #5 is not the real panel number, that is just what it was called in the Tomcat community.

Remember, there are people here who have actually put hand to steel.

13 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

It's not OCD, it's called over 15 years of working on the actual aircraft, including 5 different F-14 commands and 4 deployments.

If you want a diagram with all the panel numbers look in NAVAIR 01-F-14AAA-2-1 for the F-14A/B and NAVAIR 01-F-14AAD-2-1 for the F-14D.

And by the way, Turtleback #5 is not the real panel number, that is just what it was called in the Tomcat community.

Remember, there are people here who have actually put hand to steel.

I do forget that sometimes. Thank you for your service and hard won knowledge. We are all enriched by people like you who have served and can give us first hand knowledge of these subjects. Many thanks!

Edited by Mstor
16 hours ago, Mstor said:

Now that's my kind of OCD. :thumbsup: 

I have CDO.

It's like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order - LIKE THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO BE !!!!!!!!!!!!!  :OMG-OMG:

Now if you all what to argue over detail, argue over the detail that is missing.

And yes, there really is a detail missing from all the pic's I've seen posted here but I'm not going to say what it is, I don't want to be bashed as a rivet counter.

15 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

Now if you all what to argue over detail, argue over the detail that is missing.

And yes, there really is a detail missing from all the pic's I've seen posted here but I'm not going to say what it is, I don't want to be bashed as a rivet counter.

O think you rightfully deserve a metal for this post. It really helps and promotes modelling spirit! Thank you!!!🙏🙏🙏

58 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

Oh, please tell us!

4 hours ago, habu2 said:

I have CDO.

It's like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order - LIKE THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO BE !!!!!!!!!!!!!  :OMG-OMG:

I like you. You're weird. Guess how I know? That's right, takes one to know one. :gr_eek2:

1 hour ago, GW8345 said:

Oh now you've done it, you've really gone and done it. Were all going to scouring the pics for something that's not there. :whistle: