12 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

Why did Boeing even think they were going to win with that design?

Because Lockheed won with  the YF-22, a far uglier design than the YF-23 maybe?

-Gregg

So just to bring this back on topic (and to do MY part towards the goal of 300 pages), those with interest in the AMK weapons set by itself, probably should just sit tight. I have pre-ordered 5 kits, 2 that I pre-paid for, so by my count that should allow me at least two of the stand-alone weapons kits. I will probably be off-loading those to the community, since I will have 5 other sets of weapons just with the kits alone. Of course, I will probably be selling a few of those Tomcat kits as well, since I don't really need the 5 Tomcat kits (Hasegawa, Tamiya & Hobby Boss) I have now, let alone the 5 AMK Tomcat kits I have on pre-order!

Edited by madmanrick
4 hours ago, madmanrick said:

So just to bring this back on topic (and to do MY part towards the goal of 300 pages), those with interest in the AMK weapons set by itself, probably should just sit tight. I have pre-ordered 5 kits, 2 that I pre-paid for, so by my count that should allow me at least two of the stand-alone weapons kits. I will probably be off-loading those to the community, since I will have 5 other sets of weapons just with the kits alone. Of course, I will probably be selling a few of those Tomcat kits as well, since I don't really need the 5 Tomcat kits (Hasegawa, Tamiya & Hobby Boss) I have now, let alone the 5 AMK Tomcat kits I have on pre-order!

You can never have too many Tomcats!

1 hour ago, F-16 said:

Boy, if that's just a "dry fit" without glue.... WOW!!!

Scott

CNJC-IPMA

The intake/engine section is all one piece.  They did a nice job of removing the casting line down the middle though.

1 hour ago, shion said:

You can see glue stains and some sanding marks or glue marks. 

Yea, definitely glued down. You can also see the slide mold casting line along the outer section from where the horizontal and vertical intake surfaces meet and back from there. Its not too bad though. Should clean up nicely with a little sanding.

On 8/22/2019 at 2:45 PM, GW8345 said:

And yes, there really is a detail missing from all the pic's I've seen posted here but I'm not going to say what it is, I don't want to be bashed as a rivet counter.

Aw, c'mon... Take pride in being a rivet counter!  :taunt:

I previously noted the missing big hole and mechanism where the gear strut latches the the side of the intake. This isn't as obvious when the gear is installed, but if you're doing an in-flight model you may want to add those.

Those wanting to do a heavily weathered build take note that you will want to duplicate these missing details on the inner left nacelle.
I'm not sure what the actual function of these are on the real aircraft, but the "vent" detail on the rectangular panel can have a small amount of black leaking/streaking and the round panel with the series of holes often has a large amount of rust/brown streaking.

Missing_details_1_zpsb5ww884g.jpg

Same with the missing bulge on the gear doors. This detail is somewhat hidden when the gear is down but more obvious on an in-flight build.

Missing_details_2_zpsczk3jhcb.jpg

:cheers:

Edited by Zactoman
27 minutes ago, Zactoman said:

Aw, c'mon... Take pride in being a rivet counter!  :taunt:

I previously noted the missing big hole and mechanism where the gear strut latches the the side of the intake. This isn't as obvious when the gear is installed, but if you're doing an in-flight model you may want to add those.

Those wanting to do a heavily weathered build take note that you will want to duplicate these missing details on the inner left nacelle.
I'm not sure what the actual function of these are on the real aircraft, but the "vent" detail on the rectangular panel can have a small amount of black leaking/streaking and the round panel with the series of holes often has a large amount of rust/brown streaking.

Missing_details_1_zpsb5ww884g.jpg

Same with the missing bulge on the gear doors. This detail is somewhat hidden when the gear is down but more obvious on an in-flight build.

Missing_details_2_zpsczk3jhcb.jpg

:cheers:

Oh my. Somewhat disconcerting I'd say.  Thanks for the pic of where the main gear latches on the side. That a hard little detail to find closeups of.

The little circle vent on the starboard (right side) of both ‘weekly’ doors is only on the A with PW engines. It does show a lot of streaking. I’d guess AMK added (like Tamiya did) for future versions.

AMK seems to have added a lot of ‘extra’ wear and tear type stuff. Some panels that they molded are added on sheet metal repairs, visible on a specific airframe. I’d fill it in with putty or if you’re doing that exact specific airframe (or just like the look) cover it with bare metal foil or very thin plastic...

Brian 

19 hours ago, Manuel J. Armas S. said:

No hay descripción de la foto disponible.

I’m just going to make a “personal” observation (and like Gerry I’ve been around these aircraft with a nice eyebrow scar from a stab during FOD walk down):

.... panel lines look way too heavy IMO. Heavier than the HB kits. Surprised by this coming from AMK. 

Again, a personal observation. 

Collin

54 minutes ago, F-16 said:

I thought they were going to use the box art with the corrected launch-bar up....

Boxart Grumman F-14D Super Tomcat 88007 AMK AvantGarde Model Kits

La imagen puede contener: avión

I know it's only a picture, but still looks weird...

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

well, not to stir up another controversy but the launch bar position is the least of the problems with that artwork. It's a very surreal piece in which perspective has been flipped completely 180 degrees. Things that are closer get smaller and far objects increase in size. If it were simply an art piece, and not a product box cover art, I'd say there's some artistic statement going on that would be an interesting discussion in an art theory class. But as it is....that's some wonky looking stuff there. But I will say their use of shading and details are fairly well done. And the clouds look nice.

2 hours ago, Collin said:

I’m just going to make a “personal” observation (and like Gerry I’ve been around these aircraft with a nice eyebrow scar from a stab during FOD walk down):

.... panel lines look way too heavy IMO. Heavier than the HB kits. Surprised by this coming from AMK. 

Again, a personal observation. 

Collin

How can you see that if you even do not see a whole 1/1 scale F-14 stabilisator ?  Sure your eye is still intact ? I really hope so...these decks are a very dangerous place to walk on especially when looking for FOD !

Personal obs. of course.😉

1 hour ago, F-16 said:

I thought they were going to use the box art with the corrected launch-bar up....

Boxart Grumman F-14D Super Tomcat 88007 AMK AvantGarde Model Kits

La imagen puede contener: avión

I know it's only a picture, but still looks weird...

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

perspective is way off, like they took a photo of a F-14 coming towards you and then reversed it so it's going away from you. 

38 minutes ago, niart17 said:

well, not to stir up another controversy but the launch bar position is the least of the problems with that artwork. It's a very surreal piece in which perspective has been flipped completely 180 degrees. Things that are closer get smaller and far objects increase in size. If it were simply an art piece, and not a product box cover art, I'd say there's some artistic statement going on that would be an interesting discussion in an art theory class. But as it is....that's some wonky looking stuff there. But I will say their use of shading and details are fairly well done. And the clouds look nice.

Maybe a bend in the cardboard, but the exhaust nozzle openings look like they're pointed inward. You're right it is one weird looking piece of artwork. But, as you said, the clouds look nice. :naughty:

Perspective is off a bit but doesn’t put me off. The fit if that intake looks promising especially after dealing with a Has kit and that slide mold line should be east to clean up. I’m in for a couple and I’m going to keep the order. I’m skeptically excited. 

1 hour ago, sideshow said:

The steam from the cat looks cool too......

no doubt. It's kind of like the model in general I think. There are some REALLY cool and great things happening. It's just that it seems like some of the big picture was missed.