30 minutes ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

Look like empty boxes :hmmm:

Be that as it may, if those boxes are filled with their respective sprues, Sio has just let us know that those ten ones are all for Darren Roberts :woot.gif:

Dang. You are likely correct. I’ll wait for round 2. 

On 8/26/2019 at 11:54 PM, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

The little circle vent on the starboard (right side) of both ‘weekly’ doors is only on the A with PW engines. It does show a lot of streaking. I’d guess AMK added (like Tamiya did) for future versions.

AMK seems to have added a lot of ‘extra’ wear and tear type stuff. Some panels that they molded are added on sheet metal repairs, visible on a specific airframe. I’d fill it in with putty or if you’re doing that exact specific airframe (or just like the look) cover it with bare metal foil or very thin plastic...

Brian 

Thank you for that helpful info Brian!  :thumbsup:

Again, I've been learning a lot about the Tomcat from this thread.

:cheers:

1 hour ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

Look like empty boxes :hmmm:

Be that as it may, if those boxes are filled with their respective sprues, Sio has just let us know that those ten ones are all for Darren Roberts :woot.gif:

Just the third one down from the top on the right stack. 😁

5 hours ago, GW8345 said:

Weapon Rails are commonly referred to as Phoenix Pallets by modelers.

Thanks. That's what I thought, but my I am easily confused :hmmm:. I went searching for F-14D pics that had the Phoenix Weapon Rails and I could see that they looked different than the A/B rails. Like Zactoman said, constantly learning new things. :thumbsup:

Question for the Tomcat guys:

In some cases the ECS exhaust vents have the vanes slightly diagonal on both sides as depicted on the kit.

Vents_1_zpsovzgtdks.jpg

In others the left vent is slightly diagonal while the right one is horizontal.

Vents_2_zpsw37u9j99.jpg

In some cases the left is very diagonal and the right is horizontal as on this F-14D at Udvar-Hazy.

Vents_3_zpsn6yg6pjt.jpg

What is the reason for this and how would you know which to use on a particular build?

Edited by Zactoman
Added pics
5 hours ago, DIO said:

If there is more delay to this release, some of you will start questioning whether the rivets screw turning left or turning right!

Depends on if you are North or South of the equator. 

Interesting photo above Manuel. Those rivets/screw holes, will be interesting to see what that looks like under some paint and weathering. 

Cheers

Collin

8 hours ago, Zactoman said:

In some cases the ECS exhaust vents have the vanes slightly diagonal on both sides as depicted on the kit.

What is the reason for this and how would you know which to use on a particular build?

I don't remember the reason but I do remember this same question being asked and answered a few years ago.  I'm not sure what search term(s) might find the old post.    Also note the number of vanes in each style vent is different.

1 hour ago, habu2 said:

I don't remember the reason but I do remember this same question being asked and answered a few years ago.  I'm not sure what search term(s) might find the old post.    Also note the number of vanes in each style vent is different.

In this very thread 🤪

12 hours ago, Zactoman said:

Question for the Tomcat guys:

Vents_1_zpsovzgtdks.jpg

In others the left vent is slightly diagonal while the right one is horizontal.

Vents_2_zpsw37u9j99.jpg

In some cases the left is very diagonal and the right is horizontal as on this F-14D at Udvar-Hazy.

Vents_3_zpsn6yg6pjt.jpg

First photo typical for F-14A, the vast majority of F-14D's have the second layout (ECS was obviously modified for new electronics) Note that the right exhaust also has 10 vanes, while the left has 9. The plane on third photo is only one I've seen with such portside outlet layout. It may be some repair or "custom" replacement on museum airframe. We made both type of ECS exhaust in our set for Tamiya F-14D  A.M.U.R. 1/48 PE F-14D detail set

48654100488_9ea404740d_b.jpg

48654123073_25a280761f_b.jpg

Edited by Alex Matvey
correction
13 minutes ago, Alex Matvey said:

We made both type of ECS exhaust in our set for Tamiya F-14D  A.M.U.R. 1/48 PE F-14D detail set

Well now, looks like we'll need a set designed for the AMK kit, whenever it decides to finally show up. In any case, the AMK exhaust vanes look a bit crude. Not as fine as the Tamiya kit's.

Edited by Mstor

An announcement I just made on a few groups and on the new group I made just for this build...  I've been in contact with Sio quite a bit and while I don't have any "inside info" it is my understanding that they are just working on a couple of molds getting the burrs cleaned up and working on the instructions. So it appears that the production kits are coming very soon now.

Hello all! My name is Terry Sumner and I am the Admin to this group with Steve. When I saw that AMK had a group build going on with 10 modelers in Malaysia I thought we ought to be doing the same thing in the good ol USA. So I contacted Sio SeiHoi of AMK and he agreed. I got together with a few local good modelers and contacted Anthony Wan and he got a hold of a few more and we ended up with 10 talented modelers here in the USA. We are going to each build the Tomcat in our own way and publish our work-in-progress here on this group. Hopefully we will be able to give everyone some good honest build impressions as we go along. We have set a deadline of November 10th, the day of my club's annual model show called Baycon in Rhode Island. Those of us close enough will display our builds at that show. Those elsewhere in the USA will send photos. What we have are kits that are production kits except we don't have the instructions yet. But the sprues, decals and small photoetch fret are all production items. It is my understanding that a couple of molds are still undergoing a few small tweaks at this point so public release is coming very soon. So sit back and enjoy as we 10 modelers bring you our builds of this fantastic new Tomcat!!!! We have also made a group for this build called AMK F-14D: First Build, Baby! Here is the direct link to the group if you'd like to join and see what we come up with! And of course when you all get your kits you will be welcome to post yours too! Hope to see many Tomcat fans there! https://www.facebook.com/groups/589001711628866/

Wow, excellent Terry.  I really look forward to see the various builds. Thanks for doing this. I think it will give us all a good look at the kit, its detail and how it builds up. :thumbsup2:

42 minutes ago, terrysumner said:

An announcement I just made on a few groups and on the new group I made just for this build...  I've been in contact with Sio quite a bit and while I don't have any "inside info" it is my understanding that they are just working on a couple of molds getting the burrs cleaned up and working on the instructions. So it appears that the production kits are coming very soon now.

Hello all! My name is Terry Sumner and I am the Admin to this group with Steve. When I saw that AMK had a group build going on with 10 modelers in Malaysia I thought we ought to be doing the same thing in the good ol USA. So I contacted Sio SeiHoi of AMK and he agreed. I got together with a few local good modelers and contacted Anthony Wan and he got a hold of a few more and we ended up with 10 talented modelers here in the USA. We are going to each build the Tomcat in our own way and publish our work-in-progress here on this group. Hopefully we will be able to give everyone some good honest build impressions as we go along. We have set a deadline of November 10th, the day of my club's annual model show called Baycon in Rhode Island. Those of us close enough will display our builds at that show. Those elsewhere in the USA will send photos. What we have are kits that are production kits except we don't have the instructions yet. But the sprues, decals and small photoetch fret are all production items. It is my understanding that a couple of molds are still undergoing a few small tweaks at this point so public release is coming very soon. So sit back and enjoy as we 10 modelers bring you our builds of this fantastic new Tomcat!!!! We have also made a group for this build called AMK F-14D: First Build, Baby! Here is the direct link to the group if you'd like to join and see what we come up with! And of course when you all get your kits you will be welcome to post yours too! Hope to see many Tomcat fans there! https://www.facebook.com/groups/589001711628866/

Thanks Terry!

1 minute ago, Mstor said:

Wow, excellent Terry.  I really look forward to see the various builds. Thanks for doing this. I think it will give us all a good look at the kit, its detail and how it builds up. :thumbsup2:

I will try very hard, along with the others to give everyone a decent build impression. But I am not anywhere near any kind of Tomcat expert to be able to make observations on accuracy issues. For that I will defer to you guys who really know your Tomcat stuff.  But we're also not going to allow the group to descend into a bitch zone about this inaccuracy or that inaccuracy.  You guys can see that for yourselves and can comment here. I have no problem with you guys stealing my photos and posting them here....