2 hours ago, terrysumner said:

An announcement I just made on a few groups and on the new group I made just for this build...  I've been in contact with Sio quite a bit and while I don't have any "inside info" it is my understanding that they are just working on a couple of molds getting the burrs cleaned up and working on the instructions. So it appears that the production kits are coming very soon now.

Hold on....

I thought Sio said that the kit, decals, box Etc. were finished and being shipped to distributors by the end of this month (Aug).

From what you said, it sounds like the molds and instructions are NOT finished(?) I thought the instructions were done by now?

Did Sio say anything about when they are shipping? Many retailers/distributors are saying an Sept release date...

Hopefully, no more delays...

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

21 minutes ago, F-16 said:

Hold on....

I thought Sio said that the kit, decals, box Etc. were finished and being shipped to distributors by the end of this month (Aug).

From what you said, it sounds like the molds and instructions are NOT finished(?) I thought the instructions were done by now?

Did Sio say anything about when they are shipping? Many retailers/distributors are saying an Sept release date...

Hopefully, no more delays...

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

I don't know about any of that because like I said...I have no inside information. From what I understand the tweaks to the molds are just that...minor tweaks for some burrs...what we commonly call flash. The box and decals ARE finished. I'm guessing it's just the instructions they are finishing up now. I had no conversations with Sio about any shipping dates so I know no more about that than anyone else. I could see shipping in September...

19 hours ago, Zactoman said:

Question for the Tomcat guys:

In some cases the ECS exhaust vents have the vanes slightly diagonal on both sides as depicted on the kit.

Vents_1_zpsovzgtdks.jpg

In others the left vent is slightly diagonal while the right one is horizontal.

Vents_2_zpsw37u9j99.jpg

In some cases the left is very diagonal and the right is horizontal as on this F-14D at Udvar-Hazy.

Vents_3_zpsn6yg6pjt.jpg

What is the reason for this and how would you know which to use on a particular build?

:cheers:

The reason is that there was an "early" and "late" style plus several different part numbers (manufactures). The usual reason why an aircraft would have a mix type is because some knucklehead would step on it and bent/break it, thus resulting in the louver (vent) being changed. Towards the end of the Tomcat's career the supply system dried up so when a louver had to be changed it was usually robbed for a bird in the bone yard.

The louvers were not something that was normally changed so a majority of the aircraft would have the same type on both side, replacing them was rare.

As for the ECS system being different between the F-14A/B and D, both systems were basically the same so there was no "F-14A" or "F-14D" louvers, just different styles due to when the aircraft entered service and what part number was installed.

Terry,

Any chance those build pics can be posted for those that don’t do Facebook? I’d love to see progress but I won’t sign up for an account. I’m a fan and preordered two kits so I’d like to stay abreast of build critiques, comments etc. 

thanks!

6 minutes ago, afterburner said:

Terry,

Any chance those build pics can be posted for those that don’t do Facebook? I’d love to see progress but I won’t sign up for an account. I’m a fan and preordered two kits so I’d like to stay abreast of build critiques, comments etc. 

thanks!

I agree. Things like builds are much easier to follow here than on Facebook. Unless each person had their own Build Facebook page, following a specific build would be very difficult. Facebook timelines or whatever they're called are a jumble of posts in somewhat timey whimey order (apologies to Dr. Who). They would be all mixed in together with neither rhyme nor reason.

12 minutes ago, afterburner said:

I’d love to see progress but I won’t sign up for an account. 

Same here. I refuse to be used as a product for the profit of social media companies. 

1 hour ago, afterburner said:

Terry,

thanks!

Not sure how feasible that would be if lots of photos are posted plus the feedback in the descriptions and comment sections. 

Mark

8 hours ago, afterburner said:

Terry,

thanks!

That would be up to the individual builders and I don't believe should be Terry's responsibility. As an example, I just recently completed a 1/48 Hasegawa F/A-18 and posted the photos on FB, but chose not to post them here or any other forum. Personal choice.

8 hours ago, habu2 said:

Same here. I refuse to be used as a product for the profit of social media companies. 

Yet here you are, on social media, being used as a product to ensure this endeavors success. 

33 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

That would be up to the individual builders and I don't believe should be Terry's responsibility. As an example, I just recently completed a 1/48 Hasegawa F/A-18 and posted the photos on FB, but chose not to post them here or any other forum. Personal choice.

Indeed it is. I’ll wait and see if any pop

up here. If not- it won’t burn my world. Personal choice. 

2 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Yet here you are, on social media, being used as a product to ensure this endeavors success. 

Your definition of social media must be different than the rest of the world.  I don't put personal information  here (like peope do on fakebook) and Steve doesn't sell my personal information for profit (like fakebook does). Yes Steve makes some $$$ off ads but those ads are all on the main ARC homepage - not this forum.

Not to mention, a fakebook account is a good way to put your security clearance at risk.  No Thanks.

• Forums like these are social media:

https://theadminzone.com/threads/are-forums-classed-as-social-media.138473/

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/social-media?s=t

• I've never heard of a clearance - at least a lower level clearance - that bars the individual from participating in social media, only rules that govern their behavior/conversation on social media, such as one gets now regularly via training refreshers from their government or contractor org.. 
  • Pssst: your personal information is bought and sold every day by finance companies, mortgage companies, online retailers, web browsers, web search companies, credit card companies, data companies who aggregate public records, law enforcement agencies, etc.
  • On behalf of "the rest of the world," I bid you welcome. 
  • 😀
Edited by Space Tiger Hobbes
1 hour ago, habu2 said:

Your definition of social media must be different than the rest of the world.  I don't put personal information  here (like peope do on fakebook) and Steve doesn't sell my personal information for profit (like fakebook does). Yes Steve makes some $$$ off ads but those ads are all on the main ARC homepage - not this forum.

Not to mention, a fakebook account is a good way to put your security clearance at risk.  No Thanks.

Guess what? You're not required to put personal information on Facebook either. If you don't put it here, you don't have to put it there. Obviously, as you're not on Facebook, you don't know that your last sentence is complete BS. Almost every military unit has a FB presence, as well as Instagram and Twitter. Regarding the "social media" meaning, it was pretty much covered above. Any on line medium used to communicate with others is considered social media. Enjoy!

Back to the F-14.......I'm actually just looking forward to the ordnance sets!

I agree with Dave. It will probably have to be up to the individual builders whether or not they post their builds here too. My beef with Facebook has nothing to do with personal info. I just think having individual threads here for each build easier to follow than the jumbled mess that is Facebook. Again, unless each builder starts their own dedicated Facebook page for their build. But that gets hard to keep track of too. Oh well. What will be will be, it ain't up to me. :dontknow:

Okay guys...you don't have to succumb to Facebook if you don't want to. No sense arguing about it...  I will post my photos here too as I go along.  Just cuz I love you guys!  🙂

Here are the first 3. There are things (in any kit) that one can work on without the instructions right? Wheels/tires, cockpit parts, landing gear, etc etc.  I'm starting with the wheels/tires. They are split wheels that mount on separate wheels.

Aaaand I forgot you can only load up to 102K at a time.. so now I'll have to resize my photos for you guys.  That's one advantage FB has....any size photo goes! Except using Irfanview when I resize it all the way it's still 238K and the resolution is terrible.  Gotta figure out a way to take small file size photos. Haven't done that in years.  Or I could upload them to my Fotki site and throw the link here.  What do you think?

1 hour ago, terrysumner said:

And here is the link to the photos of all the sprues on my Fotki site...

https://public.fotki.com/tsumner/scale-modeling/jet-airplane-models/amk-f-14d-sprue-shots/?

Thank you for taking the time to post those pics!

I hate to be the bearer of even more bad news, but AMK f*cked-up the gun gas purge vents (the same as on the 1/32 Trumpeter and 1/72GWH offerings. 

https://public.fotki.com/tsumner/scale-modeling/jet-airplane-models/amk-f-14d-sprue-shots/dsc-0054.html#media

If you look at image 43, you'll notice that the 2 front NACA ducts on the kit end at the same imaginary vertical line, whereas on the actual aircraft, the bottom duct is actually offset more foreward. I suspect that the companies above all worked from the same/similar basic references to tool their dies, because that's one of the most photographed/viewed parts of the aircraft, and the only way you can make that error is to work too strictly from (faulty) diagrams.

Anyway, that's only relevant if the kit ever gets released.

blog-f-14_mg_3176.jpg

You're not wrong, that is a frustrating issue.

1 hour ago, GunsightOne said:

Thank you for taking the time to post those pics!

I hate to be the bearer of even more bad news, but AMK f*cked-up the gun gas purge vents (the same as on the 1/32 Trumpeter and 1/72GWH offerings. 

https://public.fotki.com/tsumner/scale-modeling/jet-airplane-models/amk-f-14d-sprue-shots/dsc-0054.html#media

If you look at image 43, you'll notice that the 2 front NACA ducts on the kit end at the same imaginary vertical line, whereas on the actual aircraft, the bottom duct is actually offset more foreward. I suspect that the companies above all worked from the same/similar basic references to tool their dies, because that's one of the most photographed/viewed parts of the aircraft, and the only way you can make that error is to work too strictly from (faulty) diagrams.

Edited by Parabat
6 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Guess what? You're not required to put personal information on Facebook either. If you don't put it here, you don't have to put it there. Obviously, as you're not on Facebook, you don't know that your last sentence is complete BS. Almost every military unit has a FB presence, as well as Instagram and Twitter. Regarding the "social media" meaning, it was pretty much covered above. Any on line medium used to communicate with others is considered social media. Enjoy!

Back to the F-14.......I'm actually just looking forward to the ordnance sets!

Dave- excellent point about social media. Is there any more info on the ordnance set? Is it #88007?

8 hours ago, terrysumner said:

Okay guys...you don't have to succumb to Facebook if you don't want to. No sense arguing about it...  I will post my photos here too as I go along.  Just cuz I love you guys!  🙂

Here are the first 3. There are things (in any kit) that one can work on without the instructions right? Wheels/tires, cockpit parts, landing gear, etc etc.  I'm starting with the wheels/tires. They are split wheels that mount on separate wheels.

Aaaand I forgot you can only load up to 102K at a time.. so now I'll have to resize my photos for you guys.  That's one advantage FB has....any size photo goes! Except using Irfanview when I resize it all the way it's still 238K and the resolution is terrible.  Gotta figure out a way to take small file size photos. Haven't done that in years.  Or I could upload them to my Fotki site and throw the link here.  What do you think?

Thank you sir!

8 hours ago, terrysumner said:

Well, here is the link to my Fotki album at least for now. I also took photos of all the sprues in hi-def that are on FB only so far. I'll make another album on Fotki with all those photos shortly.

https://public.fotki.com/tsumner/scale-modeling/jet-airplane-models/amk-f-14d/

Terry, you could also paste the link to the photo that's on Fotki to display it here. Click on the Share icon in the upper right. The click in the text box labeled "Image URL for use on other sites" and the URL is automatically copied. Paste it directly into the post. The usual message is displayed asking if you want to keep the embedded pic or display a link. Click on the X to keep the pic. See pic below. You can paste as many embedded pics as you want. I you already know all this, please ignore :thumbsup2:

2v2EFRgBqx9trR.jpg