On 9/1/2019 at 2:23 PM, GunsightOne said:

Thank you for taking the time to post those pics!

I hate to be the bearer of even more bad news, but AMK f*cked-up the gun gas purge vents (the same as on the 1/32 Trumpeter and 1/72GWH offerings. 

https://public.fotki.com/tsumner/scale-modeling/jet-airplane-models/amk-f-14d-sprue-shots/dsc-0054.html#media

If you look at image 43, you'll notice that the 2 front NACA ducts on the kit end at the same imaginary vertical line, whereas on the actual aircraft, the bottom duct is actually offset more foreward. I suspect that the companies above all worked from the same/similar basic references to tool their dies, because that's one of the most photographed/viewed parts of the aircraft, and the only way you can make that error is to work too strictly from (faulty) diagrams.

Anyway, that's only relevant if the kit ever gets released.

While you are technically correct, the error is so slight that worrying about it (not specifically you) is delving into a realm of minutia so small that it borders on deserving an eye role that is reserved only for Star Trek conventions. I pulled out my Tamiya kit, and the vents are offset. However, if you didn't know what you were looking for, you'd never know it. 

2 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

However, if you didn't know what you were looking for, you'd never know it. 

Actually, that could be said about any error or omission in detail. :hmmm:

I am 100% sure that if we started analysing Tamiya f-14 to that depth and detail, we would also find enough to make it (😄😄😄) unbuildable!!!

I understand the passion for detail. I am also into this path. But some people here go beyond to what would be expected, even for a museum replica builder.

To be honest, this looks more like a show off or intentional for other reasons.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I will build it and enjoy it,no matter how much effort and ink is used here or in any other forum.

Perfection is nowhere to be found. Relax and enjoy! It is just a model!!!

On 8/31/2019 at 4:34 PM, terrysumner said:

An announcement I just made on a few groups and on the new group I made just for this build...  I've been in contact with Sio quite a bit and while I don't have any "inside info" it is my understanding that they are just working on a couple of molds getting the burrs cleaned up and working on the instructions. So it appears that the production kits are coming very soon now.

Hello all! My name is Terry Sumner and I am the Admin to this group with Steve. When I saw that AMK had a group build going on with 10 modelers in Malaysia I thought we ought to be doing the same thing in the good ol USA. So I contacted Sio SeiHoi of AMK and he agreed. I got together with a few local good modelers and contacted Anthony Wan and he got a hold of a few more and we ended up with 10 talented modelers here in the USA. We are going to each build the Tomcat in our own way and publish our work-in-progress here on this group. Hopefully we will be able to give everyone some good honest build impressions as we go along. We have set a deadline of November 10th, the day of my club's annual model show called Baycon in Rhode Island. Those of us close enough will display our builds at that show. Those elsewhere in the USA will send photos. What we have are kits that are production kits except we don't have the instructions yet. But the sprues, decals and small photoetch fret are all production items. It is my understanding that a couple of molds are still undergoing a few small tweaks at this point so public release is coming very soon. So sit back and enjoy as we 10 modelers bring you our builds of this fantastic new Tomcat!!!! We have also made a group for this build called AMK F-14D: First Build, Baby! Here is the direct link to the group if you'd like to join and see what we come up with! And of course when you all get your kits you will be welcome to post yours too! Hope to see many Tomcat fans there! https://www.facebook.com/groups/589001711628866/

Can't wait to see them at BayCon!

On 9/1/2019 at 4:34 AM, terrysumner said:

An announcement I just made on a few groups and on the new group I made just for this build...  I've been in contact with Sio quite a bit and while I don't have any "inside info" it is my understanding that they are just working on a couple of molds getting the burrs cleaned up and working on the instructions. So it appears that the production kits are coming very soon now.

Hello all! My name is Terry Sumner and I am the Admin to this group with Steve. When I saw that AMK had a group build going on with 10 modelers in Malaysia I thought we ought to be doing the same thing in the good ol USA. So I contacted Sio SeiHoi of AMK and he agreed. I got together with a few local good modelers and contacted Anthony Wan and he got a hold of a few more and we ended up with 10 talented modelers here in the USA. We are going to each build the Tomcat in our own way and publish our work-in-progress here on this group. Hopefully we will be able to give everyone some good honest build impressions as we go along. We have set a deadline of November 10th, the day of my club's annual model show called Baycon in Rhode Island. Those of us close enough will display our builds at that show. Those elsewhere in the USA will send photos. What we have are kits that are production kits except we don't have the instructions yet. But the sprues, decals and small photoetch fret are all production items. It is my understanding that a couple of molds are still undergoing a few small tweaks at this point so public release is coming very soon. So sit back and enjoy as we 10 modelers bring you our builds of this fantastic new Tomcat!!!! We have also made a group for this build called AMK F-14D: First Build, Baby! Here is the direct link to the group if you'd like to join and see what we come up with! And of course when you all get your kits you will be welcome to post yours too! Hope to see many Tomcat fans there! https://www.facebook.com/groups/589001711628866/

Thanks for organising this group, Terry!

Really nice to see those builds going. Building without instructions must really be a challenge. 

Mark

2 hours ago, DIO said:

I am 100% sure that if we started analysing Tamiya f-14 to that depth and detail, we would also find enough to make it (😄😄😄) unbuildable!!!

I understand the passion for detail. I am also into this path. But some people here go beyond to what would be expected, even for a museum replica builder.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I will build it and enjoy it,no matter how much effort and ink is used here or in any other forum.

Word!

2 hours ago, Mstor said:

Actually, that could be said about any error or omission in detail. :hmmm:

Right, but of course there are degrees of error too. Every kit has flaws, but some are more subtle and require more work to detect, whereas others just jump out. Some people aren't concerned about little details, which is fine. For me, something like the incorrect addition of sawtooth panel lines on the Phoenix pylons, which are located under the plane and mostly buried between the intake trunks, is far less of an issue than the gun vents. I was just admiring the pictures of the sprues and that jumped out at me. Just like with those Latina hips, you look at the kit and and can't help notice that something is amiss.

Considering how much some of us spend on aftermarket photo-etch and resin upgrades to improve cockpit details that will likely never be seen when built, or tiny missile decals, I don't think it's unreasonable to point-out some of the more obvious, external and visible flaws on a given kit.

3 hours ago, DIO said:

Ok, now we're falling back into the "who cares about inaccuracies, just build it", argument.  We already discussed this and we're not saying you shouldn't build it or that its unbuildable (at least I'm not). I, and others, are interested in any inaccuracies in this kit. You admit to the same Dio. We also applaud its ground breaking features. This is an intellectual discussion. As Zactoman mentioned, I am learning more and more about the F-14 from this thread. I find it an interesting and a fun part of the hobby. If you don't want to contribute, that fine, but please don't denigrate those that find value in these pursuits. We can all coexist. I may be naive, but I don't think people are trying to show off. We all have our own levels of obsessiveness. I will continue to watch this thread to see what people find out about the kit. In the end (if I live long enough) I will build the kit. May correct some things that are easily corrected, but probably won't change much. Don't have the time or skill for it. Until then, I will contribute where I can in these type of critical discussions of various model kits. :thumbsup2:

Seen the shaky YouTube video. I still cannot make up my mind about the recessed panel lines. Few months ago it appeared to me AMK refined them on some of the latest test shot fuselage upper parts but now, some of these recessed details look again somehow heavy, wide and with rounded edges. Difficult to judge from that video but that is the feeling I am left with. Now, I am less sure I will purchase this kit for its dirty wings.

The detail parts look nice though.

Fuselage aft part... well I will wait for a direct comparison with Tamiya's rendition, which I believe is correct.

1 hour ago, Silver Seraph said:

Seen the shaky YouTube video. I still cannot make up my mind about the recessed panel lines. Few months ago it appeared to me AMK refined them on some of the latest test shot fuselage upper parts but now, some of these recessed details look again somehow heavy, wide and with rounded edges. Difficult to judge from that video but that is the feeling I am left with. Now, I am less sure I will purchase this kit for its dirty wings.

Fuselage aft part... well I will wait for a direct comparison with Tamiya's rendition, which I believe is correct.

Cannot agree. Don't forget that what you see are zoom in photos and not what you will see in reality.

They do not look like those in the Kinetic's usual style for instance (well exclude su-33, but this was not their's anyway). They much cleaner, consistent and well defined.

I loved those in the mig, I am sure I will love those in the F-14 too...

It's too hard for me to tell how heavy they are so I will reserve judgement until it's in my hands or someone possibly shares an HD build of one on YouTube. Certainly not a downer. That slide molded forward fuselage looks very good. Lotsa parts! 

They do appear a little soft more than than anything. If you can see a defined white line where the light catches a curved edge, that's a good indication that the edges are rounded and a bit soft. Not saying it's horrible, and it may look much better in person. But from all indications I've seen of the part so far, they look a little soft compared to say Tamiya, Hasagawa (which I  agree can be too subtle) or even some other kits. Not a deal breaker but noteworthy.

Bill

2 hours ago, Silver Seraph said:

They said they made them  finer than on their Mig-31.

Problem is their Mig-31 have very deep and wide panel lines, so it clearly is not a reference.

To have an idea of the panel lines size, you just have to compare models in various scale of the same A/C and remember panel lines on most model kits are oversized against reality.

Have a look of the GWH 1/72 F-14D.

Same thing with the Fine Molds one.

AMK 1/48 F-14D panel lines look way wider and softer than ones on both kits.

24 minutes ago, shion said:

They said they made them  finer than on their Mig-31.

Problem is their Mig-31 have very deep and wide panel lines, so it clearly is not a reference.

To have an idea of the panel lines size, you just have to compare models in various scale of the same A/C and remember panel lines on most model kits are oversized against reality.

Have a look of the GWH 1/72 F-14D.

Same thing with the Fine Molds one.

AMK 1/48 F-14D panel lines look way wider and softer than ones on both kits.

Now you are comparing a 1/48 kit that you still don't have with  two 1/72 scale kits that you don't have (or maybe one of the two ?)

Please show us pictures,( taken through a microscope of course)  that should  be something very interesting...

Nice effort ! 😂

24 minutes ago, madcop said:

Now you are comparing a 1/48 kit that you still don't have with  two 1/72 scale kits that you don't have (or maybe one of the two ?)

Please show us pictures,( taken through a microscope of course)  that should  be something very interesting...

Nice effort ! 😂

Because you need to have a kit to see if panels lines are wide and soft or not?

69035923_217511905880121_984894240729333

Is this supposed to be a kit with fine panels lines?