Besides, I don't know that I'd call this a "lie". Perhaps it's a wrong assessment or an error in interpretation of some pictures. But really it's more of an opinion about what's too big and what isn't. To say it's a lie is pretty harsh in my opinion. Now if it were presented with some kind of a number that was clearly misleading, like saying the panel lines measure 2mm wide when clearly they don't, then yes, I guess you could say that would be lie. So maybe refraining from assigning a motive to people would be a good thing in this case. But of course it's your prerogative calling people whatever you want to. 

Edited by niart17

So my question is, why wasn't there ever a pic from that angle of the area in question shown? I agree there was and is a lot of speculating based on photos of different time frames and angles. But one simple photo from that angle might have prevented a lot of the arguments. Just sayin'.

And don't get me wrong, I am NOT saying that anyone deserved a photo or could demand any such thing. Only that if they wanted to end the controversy about the hips, they simply had to post up an image from this angle and say "THIS is the actual shape of the model after we tweaked it as of such and such date" I think that would have helped.

I'm still not buying the AMK kit because I'm not happy with regard to many other features in it. Let's say that the cons still weigh more than the pros in my scale. But I recognise that perhaps I was wrong in having put down the kit for its wrong shaped hips.

Besides, it's quite infuriating the awful way in which AMK has dealt with their info. My interest sapped a long ago 'cause of this.

1 hour ago, niart17 said:

So my question is, why wasn't there ever a pic from that angle of the area in question shown? I agree there was and is a lot of speculating based on photos of different time frames and angles. But one simple photo from that angle might have prevented a lot of the arguments. Just sayin'.

They are definetily not helping themselves:

69995906_10220678762862976_5351565388670

Edited by shion
18 minutes ago, bushande said:

Having said that, I was just informed that the preorder I thought cancelled and got my money back for "lightyears" ago, could still be revived and I would just have to pay if/once they actually got out and would have no shipping on them, i.e. I can get two kits for 49 bugs each. Regardless any apparent flaws, as nice and (definitely NOT) flawless as the Tamiya kit is, basically catching two AMKs for the price of about one Tamiya is an argument after all.

Even better deal if you sell me spread wings 😄

So if you are interested please let me know - you'll still be able to complete both

I need them for my current project

26 minutes ago, bushande said:

I hope I'm not getting into trouble with DACO now but as fantastic as their reference book is in general, these drawings are not the most accurate ones regarding panel lines and also shape. Having said that, to everyone who is not a self proclaimed Tomcat expert and want some nice reference; DO get the book! It is a fantastic reference nonetheless. Just don't rely too much on the drawings and just consider them a nice add on, is all.

One can tell me whatever he wants, there is just something wrong with the hips of the AMK kit. Can't say what it is exactly but there is something off clearly. I am by no means an expert but I did have some live time around the real thing I can look back to, thank the lord. It's so long ago now but I was lucky enough to do a rough year long exchange tour in 2000 in Oceana when I was still serving with the German Navy forces (when we still had one) and we were given plenty of time around the F-14s there and the last live F-14 I was able to get close and cozy with was just last November when I scored an access to the Kish display in Iran. So memories are refreshed again hihihihi. That by no means makes me an expert, absolutely not!!! But whatever it is, the AMK-hips are just off.

Having said that, I was just informed that the preorder I thought cancelled and got my money back for "lightyears" ago, could still be revived and I would just have to pay if/once they actually got out and would have no shipping on them, i.e. I can get two kits for 49 bugs each. Regardless any apparent flaws, as nice and (definitely NOT) flawless as the Tamiya kit is, basically catching two AMKs for the price of about one Tamiya is an argument after all.

Is the Tamiya kit really flawlass?

28 minutes ago, shion said:

They are definetily not helping theirselves:

69995906_10220678762862976_5351565388670

I do not know if the Daco drawings can be 100% trusted but I do get the feeling the inflatable bags concave curve will accentuate the hip curve issue.

We are probably not talking 5mm difference but to me, it does not look right. But please to be proven wrong.

Again AMK's communication, they really do not get it...

20 minutes ago, B.Sin said:

Is the Tamiya kit really flawlass?

Of course not. I only rather briefly examined the Tamiyas by now but I already discovered at least two panel lines on the belly, i.e in the tunnel between the nacelles that are misplaced and the edge of the spacers between the upper intake lips and the forward fuselage are a tad too much tilted towards the fuselage, however both issueas are just a matter of sanding and in case of the panel lines rescribing. I bet there's more to be found if one just stares long enough at it.

However, whatever flaw there is, it certainly is not very prominent.

It's just the general shape of the Tamiya kit that is at least in my eyes closer to the original than what I have seen so far of AMK. But as I wrote, who am I to make a judgement being valid for someone else but me and myself hihihi.

AMK will certainly be a very nice kit I think given the rather low price tag nowadays (who would have ever thought 10 years ago that 40-50 bugs for a 1/48 kit is low?!!! pheeeeewww oh the times) but I for one am preparing for some proper reshape work ahead of me.

I for one have made my mind up already. I'll get the two I can get for rather "cheap" money and that will be it for me.

Edited by bushande
27 minutes ago, bushande said:

Of course not. I only rather briefly examined the Tamiyas by now but I already discovered at least two panel lines on the belly, i.e in the tunnel between the nacelles that are misplaced and the edge of the spacers between the upper intake lips and the forward fuselage are a tad too much tilted towards the fuselage, however both issueas are just a matter of sanding and in case of the panel lines rescribing. I bet there's more to be found if one just stares long enough at it.

However, whatever flaw there is, it certainly is not very prominent.

It's just the general shape of the Tamiya kit that is at least in my eyes closer to the original than what I have seen so far of AMK. But as I wrote, who am I to make a judgement being valid for someone else but me and myself hihihi.

AMK will certainly be a very nice kit I think given the rather low price tag nowadays (who would have ever thought 10 years ago that 40-50 bugs for a 1/48 kit is low?!!! pheeeeewww oh the times) but I for one am preparing for some proper reshape work ahead of me.

I for one have made my mind up already. I'll get the two I can get for rather "cheap" money and that will be it for me.

Indeed.. Just checked Sprue Brothers and the Tamiya F-14D is $99. It will be interesting to see if any extra effort, putty, etc offset the price difference. I pre-ordered mine for $62 plus some change.