40 minutes ago, terrysumner said:

Ok this is my photo. I think it's the area some of you guys have been discussing?  Please remember, these parts are only taped together...and kind of loosely...

I don't know if this angle is sufficient...

2v2Ed3hJLx9trR.jpg

Thanks, this pictures closed the case for me. Much appreciated. 

1 hour ago, crackerjazz said:

Hubbie Marsten, I can feel your views are softening up : )  Ready to hit the buy button?  

I honestly don't think so, jazz. At a $60 price tag, I might as well get the KASL dirty wings for the Tamiya kitten. Or even go the Skuki road and purchase the AMK dirty wings from those of you who won't use them.

Lucio's (Martino) thread has opened a new option for me to modify my collection of Hasegawa Tomcat kits instead.

But I'll give you that the new input on the AMK kit has changed my mind with regard to those awful-looking hips.

This could have happened a lot more sooner than September 2019 if AMK had wanted to, I guess. Now I'm kind of still angry at having been taken as hostage to the info regarding their kit - hence, I won't buy it just to teach them a very good lesson. :rofl: 

That'll teach 'em!

It is not AMK to blame for those whingeing for 150+ pages based on speculations. Would any of those be convinced even if someone came out to say "no, the kit is correct?". Absolutely not. So I do not really understand to whome is the lesson for...

Finally, when comparing prices, compare Tamiya kit + KASL vs AMK, just to avoid creating wrong impressions.

Edited by DIO
2 minutes ago, DIO said:

So I do not really understand to whome is the lesson for...

If someone at the AMK camp had come and posted a clear picture of the kit's rear end a lot more sooner, like we are just starting to see them now - all of the sudden -, then I'd have pre-ordered. What did they do instead? Play the Happening Hampster on Facebook, which I don't happen to be a user of. Oh, but they disappeared from the face of this forum, which I happen to be a member of.

Won't put up with that, not anyone, not any manufacturor; I don't care whether their kits are the best or not.

9 minutes ago, DIO said:

Finally, when comparing prices, compare Tamiya kit + KASL vs AMK, just to avoid creating wrong impressions.

So what's a wrong impression have to do with the whole it...? I received the Tamiya kit for free, as a gift from one of my best fellas. It's my prerogative if I want to spend $60 on some dirty wings instead of buying the whole AMK kit.

1 hour ago, DIO said:

How can you say positive comments in such a negative way? Mate, you are impressive.

I see an amazing model in details being build. I see that according to the plans, the shape is just fine.

Not speculating. Just saying what I see.

Well, perhaps you only see what I said as a negative comment because you take ANY criticism as blasting the company. I simply stated that in general, resin cockpits are typically more defined than plastic kit cockpits. It's NOT a slam on AMK but you seem to take it that way. I also said I didn't think any manufacturer could do better but MAYBE Tamiya did and I would love to see them compared side by side. That's what's called "discussing a model and comparing to what's out there". It's not negative.

If anything, I've seen you slam anybody that dares make an observation that isn't 100% in favor of the kit. Almost to the point that I would think that perhaps you work for them or something. And to be completely up front and honest, seeing people that are THAT committed to preventing honest criticism actually makes me want to find error that much more.

I am NOT a rivet counter and typically do not buy a kit because of mm differences in shapes or sizes. But I admire those that can find them and point it out and I enjoy looking and comparing myself. I guess it goes hand in hand with my mechanical design background.

5 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

:woot.gif: $121 + postage! I could purchase 3 KASL dirty wing sets with that - you talk about NOT creating wrong impressions... :rofl:

Think about this: had he been a modeller, Chuck Norris would have been TERRIBLY mad at the way AMK managed their info. :coolio: 

5 hours ago, Silver Seraph said:

I do not know if the Daco drawings can be 100% trusted but I do get the feeling the inflatable bags concave curve will accentuate the hip curve issue.

I has been a while since I had a look at my DACO book, but if I remember correctly (and I might very well misremember) there was something off about the shape of horizontal stabilizers. I will be interesting to compare the kit parts between amk and tamiya. Can't wait to get the kit 🙂

10 minutes ago, niart17 said:

Well, perhaps you only see what I said as a negative comment because you take ANY criticism as blasting the company. I simply stated that in general, resin cockpits are typically more defined than plastic kit cockpits. It's NOT a slam on AMK but you seem to take it that way. I also said I didn't think any manufacturer could do better but MAYBE Tamiya did and I would love to see them compared side by side. That's what's called "discussing a model and comparing to what's out there". It's not negative.

If anything, I've seen you slam anybody that dares make an observation that isn't 100% in favor of the kit. Almost to the point that I would think that perhaps you work for them or something. And to be completely up front and honest, seeing people that are THAT committed to preventing honest criticism actually makes me want to find error that much more.

I am NOT a rivet counter and typically do not buy a kit because of mm differences in shapes or sizes. But I admire those that can find them and point it out and I enjoy looking and comparing myself. I guess it goes hand in hand with my mechanical design background.

Yes, correct, I am having a salary. It is very often for Health IT Service Executives to work for scale modelling companies 😜😜😜

Otherwise, I just feel that the criticism that the AMK model has undergone for 200+ pages without the plastic in hand, has been at least ridiculous.

I would feel exactly the same for any other company, although such negativity is unprecedented. Here is definitely a lessons learnt for AMK as well. But I think they already know.

11 minutes ago, DIO said:

Yes, correct, I am having a salary. It is very often for Health IT Service Executives to work for scale modelling companies 😜😜😜

Otherwise, I just feel that the criticism that the AMK model has undergone for 200+ pages without the plastic in hand, has been at least ridiculous.

I would feel exactly the same for any other company, although such negativity is unprecedented. Here is definitely a lessons learnt for AMK as well. But I think they already know.

ok fair enough. I understand that. but consider this, some people such as yourself have equally suggested the kit is near perfect with only having the exact same images and communication from AMK as the people who have been calling out "errors" they see. Wouldn't it stand to reason that if having a strong negative stance based on photos is "at least ridiculous" then having a strong positive stand based on those same photos is at least equally ridiculous? If everything has been subjective guessing then it's ALL subjective guessing, be it positive or negative. So...there we are. 

Again, I'll say there are some impressive things happening with this kit. There are also some things that might not be as impressive as other kits. Balls and strikes.

Edited by niart17
grammar...eh
29 minutes ago, niart17 said:

ok fair enough. I understand that. but consider this, some people such as yourself have equally suggested the kit is near perfect with only having the exact same images and communication from AMK as the people who have been calling out "errors" they see. Wouldn't it stand to reason that if having a strong negative stance based on photos is "at least ridiculous" then having a strong positive stand based on those same photos is at least equally ridiculous? If everything has been subjective guessing then it's ALL subjective guessing, be it positive or negative. So...there we are. 

Again, I'll say there are some impressive things happening with this kit. There are also some things that might not be as impressive as other kits. Balls and strikes.

Just one correction: I never suggested it near perfect. In their own AMK group I state "it is an awesome model, with some issues, and since nothing is perfect, I will enjoy building it".

Their models from the very beginning had some features that I loved: plenty of engraved detail that was deep enough so that wouldn't get lost after a couple of layers of paint or varnish. A lot of detail. And some extra features that usually came from after market companies. I think I will never get over this Fugga Magister...

5 hours ago, terrysumner said:

Gee I don't know about the pivot point being too low.  It looks pretty low here on this shot from The Squadron Walkaround....

2v2Ed3dcrx9trR.jpg

Oh yes, you are correct. It is fairly low, but not quite as low as the AMK kit has it. Here's The Tamiya kits position of the pivot:

Tamiya F-14 bump

And a pic, albeit with the pivot cover off, that shows that the armature extends out a bit above where the AMK kit has it:

f-14d_159600_christine_parts_112_of_354.thumb.jpg.367bd503ee8f1db453d8e5d419d064b4.jpg

Now, got any more straws for me to grasp, as I'm done splitting hairs for now. I know these are minor issues. Just bringing them up to point out that there are issues being found with this kit. I'm not convinced by drawings that may or may not be completely accurate. As I noted before, I have ordered the kit. When it comes, we'll see if I have to eat crow in regards to the rear end shapes, heaven forbid :whistle:

Edited by Mstor

The problem is that nothing AMK did or could have done was perceived as right or correct. Now, I don't agree with many of the things they did, such as the crowd-funding stunt or the way pre-orders were handled, then changed and changed again. However, at NO point did AMK owe anyone here or elsewhere, pics or any further information. In fact, it was the sharing of pics that started this whole fat arse thing to begin with and I perceive that they went by the "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" train of thought (who could blame them?). Many of us (including yes, me) tried to council patience, but once it was written on the interwebs, it was taken as gospel by many. And there ensued a great gnashing of teeth!

I don't work for AMK, I have never received a penny from them, in fact I have only paid my money to them. But, if I could have given them some advice, it would have been to forgo the PR stunts et al, focus on getting the kit out on their timeline and just let everything work itself out. I have always said that the modelers will vote with their wallet. Hobby Boo-Boo cocked up their Tomcats much worse and there are still many who bought them, including one or two by ME. 

All that to say, is this kit perfect?, of course it isn't. It is ONE company's interpretation of a Tomcat model. For gosh sakes, even the vaunted holy grail of the Tamiya Tomcat is not perfect (yeah, I went there). Then again as has been pointed out numerous times, show me a perfect kit and I'll show you a million dollars. Anyway, I look forward to getting my 5 in due course, although I will probably sell one or two, simply due to limited space in the stash. 

Am I going to have to break out my red crayon to prove I'm not seeing things?

Crayon_1_zpslchmm33g.jpg

6 hours ago, terrysumner said:

Ok this is my photo. I think it's the area some of you guys have been discussing?...I don't know if this angle is sufficient...

Thanks for providing all the pics Terry.
Could you possibly take a straight side view of the rear half of the plane keeping the engine fairing part in place, and if possible include the inflated wing bladder.

The other area I'm still curious about is the windscreen, simply because we haven't seen (to my knowledge) any decent pics of it. I'm curious to see if they captured the shape of the front corner of the side panes.
I know it will be difficult to photograph the unpainted part showing the framing, but could you please give it a try, ideally a couple of pics matching these views (TIA!):

Windscreen_1_zpsscri3o71.jpgWindscreen_2_zpsvml9whyt.jpg

22 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Oh yes, you are correct. It is fairly low, but not quite as low as the AMK kit has it.

And a pic, albeit with the pivot cover off, that shows that the armature extends out a bit above where the AMK kit has it:

You're assuming they have the hole the same scale diameter as the shaft on the real plane, which may not be the case.

You're also assuming that they got the size and shape and vertical location of that fuselage section correct...

:cheers:

34 minutes ago, madmanrick said:

All that to say, is this kit perfect?, of course it isn't. It is ONE company's interpretation of a Tomcat model. For gosh sakes, even the vaunted holy grail of the Tamiya Tomcat is not perfect (yeah, I went there). Then again as has been pointed out numerous times, show me a perfect kit and I'll show you a million dollars. Anyway, I look forward to getting my 5 in due course, although I will probably sell one or two, simply due to limited space in the stash. 

I could have swore that AMK said that their F-14D would be the most accurate F-14D model ever.

I don't remember Tamiya ever making that claim.

If you are going to claim to have the most accurate model of something, you might want to get some of the basic details correct.

And the rear is off, the proportions just aren't right.

Edited by GW8345
2 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

I could have swore that AMK said that their F-14D would be the most accurate F-14D model ever.

If you are going to claim to have the most accurate model of something, you might want to get some of the basic details correct.

Rear is perfect. From the pictures, AMK model is better than Tamiya.

2 hours ago, GW8345 said:

Ok,. Move on.