5 hours ago, terrysumner said:

Must be the photos cuz I see no misalignment whatsoever holding it in my hands. This canopy is just about perfect.

Ok, good deal then. False alarm everyone, nothing to see, please move along... :whistle:

On 9/11/2019 at 3:06 PM, foxmulder_ms said:

????

Hobbyeasy prices for AMK F-14 is = *428* HKD , Tamiya F-14A = *649* HKD. 

Plus shipping for both. 

Have you ever heard of a “currency converter” and you do realize shippng is part of the comparison?

you know shippng aint exactly cheap in 2019.

So exactly like i said the prices of kits is relative to where YOU are in the world and how much it costs to get the kit to YOU.

Retail means nothing unless you can walk out the door with the kit tucked under your arm.

Playing your silly game.

Joshin in Osaka Tamiya F-14D 5400¥ ie 50USD two hours ago...AMK no idea as you cant buy them as its still not released..what a surprise.

20 minutes ago, gb_madcat_sl said:

This little bit right here. 

48742738302_82e27f5cfb_b.jpg

Mark

I've actually held the part in my hand and it is literally a non-issue. Of course under a high resolution image you can see it, but to the naked eye it is indistinguishable. FFS, some of you are just picking at straws now and appear to be going out of your way to find any fault with this kit. 

24 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

I've actually held the part in my hand and it is literally a non-issue. Of course under a high resolution image you can see it, but to the naked eye it is indistinguishable. FFS, some of you are just picking at straws now and appear to be going out of your way to find any fault with this kit. 

FFS? How bout it's a noticeable potential issue that was pointed out from photos that people have posted of the kit. You don't see it fine. No reason to get your panties in a wad because others have questioned if it's a thing or not. I swear you guys really get irate when people ask questions or point out possible flaws that are clearly seen by everyone as if it's an emotional attachment or something. You love the kit, GREAT. Why get all bent when someone isn't in love with it yet and simply wants to know about it? Honestly, I thought the canopy concept was a great idea UNTIL I saw dual seams. That seems like a pretty bad idea. Let's take the one thing most modelers hate about doing on canopies and then double it? FFS is right.

Edited by niart17
54 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

Erm. I wasn’t trying to find fault with the kit. I just figured out what some of the others were talking about when then mentioned “axial misalignment” and pointed it out to Terry who didn’t recognise it from the photo posted earlier. 

Mark

41 minutes ago, zerosystem said:

No, Dave and Terry really are on to something.

I'm literally looking at the part right now and am only seeing 2 mold lines to remove, just like almost every other modern aircraft canopy.  The molds are aligned really well at both ends.

that's good to know. It does look like a misalignment in that photo but I suppose there could be several explanations to it looking "wonky". But you have to admit, looking at the apparent sudden jog on the canopy frame it DOES at least look like a misaligned line. If it's not then that's great news. But surely you can understand why the question was asked, yes?

46 minutes ago, niart17 said:

FFS? How bout it's a noticeable potential issue that was pointed out from photos that people have posted of the kit. You don't see it fine. No reason to get your panties in a wad because others have questioned if it's a thing or not. I swear you guys really get irate when people ask questions or point out possible flaws that are clearly seen by everyone as if it's an emotional attachment or something. You love the kit, GREAT. Why get all bent when someone isn't in love with it yet and simply wants to know about it? Honestly, I thought the canopy concept was a great idea UNTIL I saw dual seams. That seems like a pretty bad idea. Let's take the one thing most modelers hate about doing on canopies and then double it? FFS is right.

"As if it's an emotional attachment or something"

This coming the guy that has posted multiple times in this thread to my few. Seems the only person getting bent out of shape here is you.

23 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

"As if it's an emotional attachment or something"

This coming the guy that has posted multiple times in this thread to my few. Seems the only person getting bent out of shape here is you.

NO, Not bent out of shape at all. Its just that when you start using things like FFS at someone because they asked a simple question about an issue they thought might be present, that seems a bit emotionally over the top. It was an honest question. It just seems that any and all questioning of this kit is met with similar type responses. If people aren't to ask those questions then perhaps this forum is only left for "atta boys" and ohh and ahhs over kits and not honest discussions? I don't think that's the case but if all things are met with a bunch of FFS's then what next?

And yes, perhaps I've posted more than I should in this thread. Sorry if I'm too interesting in knowing how good this kit is. I wasn't on the list of getting one to try out so might spend my money on it. I do love a good dirty F-14.

Edited by niart17
1 hour ago, zerosystem said:

No, Dave and Terry really are on to something.

I'm literally looking at the part right now and am only seeing 2 mold lines to remove, just like almost every other modern aircraft canopy.  The molds are aligned really well at both ends.

Sorry, but usually there just one line in the middle. Two of them, is not ideal...

And the misalignment is actually an issue for most newcomers to the hobby. Even for some more experienced...

The fact that the separate canopies are perfect, is satisfying for me as I always pose my models with everything open.

This is a great model that can result in an amazing F-14. The canopy issue can definitely be fixed in a future release (I reckon).

Edited by DIO
21 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

There are in fact two mold seam lines located on the upper sides of the canopy, and not along the center line. I was lent a canopy last week to create a masking set for it.

Will be buying one. (Correction) Ordered. Thank you for doing that as I suck at masking canopies. Bought one for the Tamiya as well. 

Edited by afterburner

Hopefully this can put this nit to rest. There is no axial misalignment. What you are seeing is the little notch in the canopy to place the photoetch mirror into. There are two notches...one on each side of the end of the canopy. Hopefully this shot can end this.

2v2EyBcrrx9trR.jpg

Edited by terrysumner
1 minute ago, terrysumner said:

Hopefully this can put this nit to rest. There is no axial misalignment. What you are seeing is the little notch in the canoipy to place the photoetch mirror into. There are two notches...one on each side of the end of the canopy. Hopefully this shot can end this.

2v2EyBcrrx9trR.jpg

That's a nice touch. 

Thanks for the info Terry...

I was wondering if you could...

1. Give a total sprue count, including the individual weapons sprue's. How many sprue's are there?

2. If you have it, what does the P/E sheet look like?

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

9 hours ago, dehowie said:

Have you ever heard of a “currency converter” and you do realize shippng is part of the comparison?

you know shippng aint exactly cheap in 2019.

So exactly like i said the prices of kits is relative to where YOU are in the world and how much it costs to get the kit to YOU.

Retail means nothing unless you can walk out the door with the kit tucked under your arm.

Playing your silly game.

Joshin in Osaka Tamiya F-14D 5400¥ ie 50USD two hours ago...AMK no idea as you cant buy them as its still not released..what a surprise.

? Prices are here mate. We checked the online store you referenced. AMK is 50% cheaper. It is the cheaper model for wast majority of the world. 

Hi Terry. thanks for posting that close up image, very nice. Not trying to nit pick just looking to help clear it up even more but I think when they say axial misalignment, that's not quite what was appearing to be a slight issue. It LOOKS like the frame line that separates the glass from the frame has a slight "jog" and doesn't create a completely straight frame. I highlight LOOKS because it could be a camera anomaly or something. But based on the pic and close up of that pic that was posted earlier, it seems like the frame is not aligned. The part itself doesn't appear to not align, just the frame "panel line". If you could post a straight on shot looking at the frame to glass transition at the mold line I think that would clear it up nicely. Thanks.

7 minutes ago, niart17 said:

Hi Terry. thanks for posting that close up image, very nice. Not trying to nit pick just looking to help clear it up even more but I think when they say axial misalignment, that's not quite what was appearing to be a slight issue. It LOOKS like the frame line that separates the glass from the frame has a slight "jog" and doesn't create a completely straight frame. I highlight LOOKS because it could be a camera anomaly or something. But based on the pic and close up of that pic that was posted earlier, it seems like the frame is not aligned. The part itself doesn't appear to not align, just the frame "panel line". If you could post a straight on shot looking at the frame to glass transition at the mold line I think that would clear it up nicely. Thanks.

Not sure exactly what angle you mean...  90 degrees to the side of the canopy? Straight down over the top? Or straight in at the end of the canopy?  I mean, no matter what angle I shoot, there isn't anything misaligned...

3 hours ago, gb_madcat_sl said:

This little bit right here. 

48742738302_82e27f5cfb_b.jpg

Mark

Terry- top down/Gods eye picture showing this spot- this canopy frame “line” is off in the circle - that’s what everyone is talking about.  

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi

Again, please understand it's not a slam, just trying to figure out what we (they) are seeing. You do have to forgive me as well, I work at a company where I'd get in serious trouble if I'm off by .001" on some parts, so what would be trivial to some is the kind of thing I deal with on my job. And yes, it's not THAT important on a model kit, but it's the nature of what I look at even if I'm not talented enough to fix "issues". So I'm not trying to be stubborn for the sake of being stubborn.

Edited by niart17