I think this is about as best as I can get. It's hard to photograph this clear piece!  I think what some of you are seeing as a misalignment is just some kind of reflection of the notch there for the mirror shining through the clear and distorting the image.

2v2EyBPavx9trR.jpg

1 minute ago, terrysumner said:

I think this is about as best as I can get. It's hard to photograph this clear piece!  I think what some of you are seeing as a misalignment is just some kind of reflection of the notch there for the mirror shining through the clear and distorting the image.

2v2EyBPavx9trR.jpg

Indeed Terry. The reflections are playing with the line. Thanks for continuing to update the forum. Just ordered some masks from Dave. I'm ready for these kits to land. 

yes, it is hard to tell. If it's not actually a misalignment of the line then perhaps the inside area thickness is causing it to look wonky. There is definitely something that looks funny but hopefully like you said it's just the clear parts causing the reflections to bounce around or something. Thanks for taking the time to take that pic. I think the MAY clear it up....pardon the pun,

Bill

2 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

It is perfectly clear that based on this misalignment (even if it is not there) the kit is completely unbuildable!

Best regards

Gabor

Dude, seriously? Comon' man, why do you guys keep thinking that any question is someone saying the kit sucks? Just trying to see what's what on a new and exciting kit. Nothing less and nothing more. 

3 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

It is perfectly clear that based on this misalignment (even if it is not there) the kit is completely unbuildable!

Best regards

Gabor

Bwahahahaaaaaaa... I got the joke

Edited by terrysumner
spelling

oh, I got the joke as well. Along with all the other jokes making fun of people interested in the accuracy issues of the kit. I mean, it's not like we're trying to find out if the weapons pylons on the Academy F-18 are accurate or anything. I know that's MUCH more serious than the canopy on a newly tooled kit. 😀:cheers:

Everyone knows that no kit is perfect. There are mistakes here and there on every kit. It is just sad that by now pages have been wasted on a point of existing or not existing misalignment measured in microns which are found on almost every kit. Instead of real discussion with people who really have the kit in their hands and can give an insight of what the kit holds for modellers.

Best regards

Gabor

Yup, totally wasted since it's the highest viewed thread on the site I believe by far. And totally wasted since it possibly fostered in the changes that AMK made to make the kit more accurate kit for you guys to enjot. And totally wasted as it's discussing things like masking templates as well as potentially other after-market items that will probably help sell more AMK kits and benefit those making the products for this kit. And totally wasted by showing that the kit has a LOT of interest in it. I agree, what a waste of internet space. Oh, I forgot the other wasted space going on. Totally wasted on people who keep making fun of people that care about very minor issues on a kit and find it interesting researching and looking for such things. Yea, there's a LOT of waste going on here. 

10 minutes ago, niart17 said:

Dude, seriously? Comon' man, why do you guys keep thinking that any question is someone saying the kit sucks? Just trying to see what's what on a new and exciting kit. Nothing less and nothing more. 

There are issues with this kit as pointed out earlier (what 250 pages), but there are also some non-issues over which there is little point in spending more time!

Sorry that I did not add several  😊  😁   😊  😁   😊  😁   😊  😁   to my comment but I think it was obviously a joke to try to break the over serious discussion. 

Best regards

Gabor

1 minute ago, ya-gabor said:

There are issues with this kit as pointed out earlier (what 250 pages), but there are also some non-issues over which there is little point in spending more time!

Sorry that I did not add several  😊  😁   😊  😁   😊  😁   😊  😁   to my comment but I think it was obviously a joke to try to break the over serious discussion. 

Best regards

Gabor

So you're telling me that IF that panel line was actually misaligned as much as it looked like in the pic that wouldn't have been worth the question? I beg to differ. I think that would be a bigger issue than the hips in my opinion. It looks like it might not be an issue and that's great. But to say it wasn't worth asking the question and looking for clarification only furthers the thought that to some people there are NO questions that are legitimate about this kit. 

I just finished catching up on the canopy frame discussion. I am really amazed at the emotional bickering. Both sides of this discussion were right. A few of us saw what looked like an issue. Yes, its probably a small one, but one that, if it was truly there, would be seen as something to be corrected by many modelers. Terry has provided pics that show that, if there is an issue, it is so small as to be almost unseeable. There may or may not be some other issue causing what I and others originally saw. Whether it constitutes something that will need "fixing" will be up to the individual modeler. 

Now, why would someone want to belittle a person for wanting to discuss a potentially visible problem. If there had been an actual misalignment issue here, I for one would want to know about it, so I knew it was something that needed correcting. We should have been able to discuss this potential issue calmly and view the gathered evidence and make our conclusions. This is what I like to see in critiques of models. How many times has someone bought a kit (or is thinking about about buying a kit) and come to this forum and asked for a list of accuracy issues and build problems so they knew what they were getting into before they started?  So, a potential error is found to be a non-starter or extremely trivial. Great! We figured it out. Instead of getting all huffy over it, we should be patting ourselves on the back. Good Job guys! Its Miller time! :beer4:

Edited by Mstor
2 minutes ago, Mstor said:

I just finished catching up on the canopy frame discussion. I am really amazed at the emotional bickering. Both sides of this discussion were right. A few of us saw what looked like an issue. Yes, its probably a small one, but one that, if it was truly there, would be seen as something to be corrected by many modelers. Terry has provided pics that show that, if there is an issue, it is so small as to be almost unseeable. There may or may not be some other issue causing what I and other originally saw. Whether it constitutes something that will need "fixing" will be up to the individual modeler. 

Now, why would someone want to belittle a person for wanting to discuss a potentially visible problem. If there had been an actual misalignment issue here, I for one would want to know about it, so I knew it was something that needed correcting. We should have been able to discuss this potential issue calmly and view the gathered evidence and make our conclusions. This is what I like to see in critiques of models. How many times has someone bought a kit (or is thinking about about buying a kit) and come to this forum and asked for a list of accuracy issues and build problems so they knew what they were getting into before they started?  So, a potential error is found to be a non-starter or extremely trivial. Great! We figured it out. Instead of getting all huffy over it, we should be patting ourselves on the back. Good Job guys! Its Miller time! :beer4:

thanks, that's exactly what I was saying. 

And just to be clear, I do apologize to ANYONE who felt I was flying off the handle at them over a post or a joke or whatever. I don't intend to come across too brash. It just is pretty frustrating when you're looking to find real conversation about the details of a subject and find that at every turn when something is brought up and questioned, that question is ridiculed. I simply don't see the point in having a modeling discussion forum when you can't have discussions about models. I mean freely expressed ideas, concerns, praises, and critiques over model kits. That's the kind of thing that makes this forum so interesting to me. I can go anywhere and see build-up of great models and a bunch of "great job" comments. And there's a place for that as well. But I get into seeing obsessively thought over details. I find that kind of dedication extremely interesting. It's what makes this hobby set apart from quilting or basket weaving etc... It's that pursuit of perfection that I think is so awesome. And I think that can coexist with the people who just want to build a model and not worry about panel lines and shape precision.There doesn't have to be animosity between the groups.

1 hour ago, niart17 said:

Yup, totally wasted since it's the highest viewed thread on the site I believe by far. And totally wasted since it possibly fostered in the changes that AMK made to make the kit more accurate kit for you guys to enjot. And totally wasted as it's discussing things like masking templates as well as potentially other after-market items that will probably help sell more AMK kits and benefit those making the products for this kit. And totally wasted by showing that the kit has a LOT of interest in it. I agree, what a waste of internet space. Oh, I forgot the other wasted space going on. Totally wasted on people who keep making fun of people that care about very minor issues on a kit and find it interesting researching and looking for such things. Yea, there's a LOT of waste going on here. 

Nope. People just have ulterior motives: bury a brand. Even thought we are looking at the best F-14 model. No one talks about good things but a 1micron reflection is turning into an opportunity to smear the kit. Even though there is no error and the kit has 2 *more* canopies. LOL>>!>!>!>!>

If you want to discuss this model how about the 10 other very good things you may talk about?? Like multiple canopy options. A frame+glass approach as an option which is a first, I believe, and looks extremely good.

How about fully extended wing option?

How about crazy details in cockpit and landing gears? 

Single piece missile galore?

Decal options? 

Single piece front fusalage? 

There is 100% place for accuracy discussion but sorry this thread is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond that. 

8 minutes ago, foxmulder_ms said:

Nope. People just have ulterior motives: bury a brand. Even thought we are looking at the best F-14 model. No one talks about good things but a 1micron reflection is turning into an opportunity to smear the kit. Even though there is no error and the kit has 2 *more* canopies. LOL>>!>!>!>!>

If you want to discuss this model how about the 10 other very good things you may talk about?? Like multiple canopy options. A frame+glass approach as an option which is a first, I believe, and looks extremely good.

Decal options? 

There is 100% place for accuracy discussion but sorry this thread is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond that. 

I'm pretty sure if you read, you'd see that I've definitely posted good thing about this kit. I agree there are some extremely good things and have continually said that. There are also things that are questionable. As for thinking that those that talk about those questions are only out to smear a brand is COMPLETELY inaccurate. I could care less about AMK as far wanting them to fail. If anything I'd LOVE to see them succeed and create other great kits. As for looking at the BEST F-14 Model, that's yet to be determined. But as of now, your opinion of that holds no more weight than those that don't share that opinion. And I'll state this again. One of the huge contributions to this thread being so long winded is equally that you guys keep shooting at the people asking the questions. It's pretty remarkable actually that you can't see that.

Edited by niart17
1 hour ago, ya-gabor said:

Best regards

Gabor

Nah. It’s unbuildable because it doesn’t come with pilot figures! 😂

How about a list comparing this kit with the Hasegawa Tomcat? 😬

Mark

18 minutes ago, foxmulder_ms said:

Decal options? 

Give me a break. 

If you look at my post history it's clear I was an AMK defender for a long, long time. I had two on pre-order, defended them, enjoyed what I was seeing..

What eventually soured me was being lied to. AMK straight up lied to their customers, not even about accuracy issues..but about production status, about pre-orders, about import status issues. It was all a lie to cover their tracks.  

Now about the accuracy issue..they did that themselves. They said they were going to produce the most accurate F-14 model ever. It isn't. They failed. But their ego in proclaiming they were going to be the best means that they invited attention that normally wouldn't have ever been paid to them in other circumstances..had they not made such a massive claim. 

Now if they had said "we're going to make the best F-14 we can make" and there were these issues, none of this would have ever happened. Or if they had said "we're in the development process on this and we'll post more when it's ready to be released"...really no one would have even paid attention for years and years like this has happened.  Because of the time involved and claims made...the bar was set obscenely high, even higher than what was expected from Tamiya. 

I don't want to bury AMK, but I hope they learned their lesson. 

11 minutes ago, gb_madcat_sl said:

Mark

I just bought 3 of those lol. 

20 minutes ago, gb_madcat_sl said:

Mark

Maybe we should just compare it to a Testors F-14 and then it can really shine. Might as well right?😁