2 hours ago, GW8345 said:

or it could have been an alien engine from Area 51

Ahhh, perhaps Zactoman and Gabor are really onto something. They knew all along that aliens have been supplying AMK with, what we now know is, questionable F-14D plans. Probably the government is in on to it too. Its a mass conspiracy designed to brainwash the minds of modelers around the world! Luckily, we are smarter than they thought we were and we are onto there evil machinations. Zactoman and Gabor are out there to confront this evil plot and force them to use time travel technology to correct their evil works. Our brave soldiers of scale modeldom (is that even a word?) out there sacrificing there very lives for us (by drinking mass quantities of alcoholic beverages). :gr_eek2::OMG-OMG::whistle:

But really, what were they looking at when they designed those afterburner parts? I thought they looked weird, but then what do I know. :dontknow:

Edited by Mstor
2 hours ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

Interesting. Elastic Resin? Not sure what that is, but the wheels look good. In the instructions they say to remove the inside part of the tires and then "drill" something. Not sure what they are asking you to drill on the tire. The price is good though. Others will have to determine the accuracy of the wheels themselves.

4 hours ago, Mstor said:

Interesting. Elastic Resin? Not sure what that is, but the wheels look good. In the instructions they say to remove the inside part of the tires and then "drill" something. Not sure what they are asking you to drill on the tire. The price is good though. Others will have to determine the accuracy of the wheels themselves.

Probably a polyurethane elastomer. I've used it for flexible parts many times with great results. Some of the oldest parts I have (14+ years) are still as good and flexible as the day they came out of the mold.

On 9/20/2019 at 6:25 PM, JeffreyK said:

Let's just say "nun's hat" 🙂

Examples of non-3D scanned errors due to copying of non-standard detail: Tamiya 1:32 F-4 (battle damage patches), Czech Model F3D (ex-Raytheon test bird with added ducting etc.)...

I don't think that a 1:1 translation of 3D scan data into a CAD model is a sensible method for creating a scale model. A 3D scan will give you and unbelievable amount of surface data, too much and too "noisy" to work with. You need to clean it all up and create workable shapes. Even cross sections from a 3D scan contain too much data - clean cross sections with a vastly reduced point count need to be created in order to create something usable and that's best done from scratch. The 3D scan (plus drawings, measurement data and photos) will work as a constant reference object, not just for shape check, but also for detail creation and location.

Jeffrey

Been meaning to respond to this. Thanks for this info Jeffrey. I am fascinated with the whole process and what you're saying makes sense. So, despite the problems inherent with the use of 3D scans, they can be a valuable resource, yes?  It sounds like that company mentioned earlier may actually do a lot of what you mention - creating workable CAD models from 3D scan data.  I would think one would have to work closely with the company like that to get the kind of data needed for a model. Correct shapes, accurate surface details, etc. In any case, a model company would be hard pressed to keep that kind of expertise on staff (unless you are big like Tamiya). Another reason to use a company like the one mentioned.

Well, sorry for the diversion again. Back to weird afterburners and alien conspiracies.

41 minutes ago, GunsightOne said:

Probably a polyurethane elastomer. I've used it for flexible parts many times with great results. Some of the oldest parts I have (14+ years) are still as good and flexible as the day they came out of the mold.

Interesting. Will look forward to someone getting a set and trying them out.

23 hours ago, DIO said:

So, now we will be looking for kit and AMK errors on how the modelers model their kits? Nice one, go ahead!!!

(This keeps being rediculus)

So you are telling me that the builder scratch built that flame holder and that it is not a kit part?

Next you're going to tell me that the builder either modified the flame holder because he was using bad reference or that he adding "artistic license" to his build.

Edited by GW8345

If your interested in 3D scanning and then getting that to actually accurately reflect reality search for Wingnut Wings and the lessons learnt on the Fokker D7.

5 different versions of software, project restarted several times and piles of money lost.

Reading that story very quickly dispelled the myth of how easy 3D scanning and CAD design is.

10 hours ago, Manuel J. Armas S. said:

HobbyEasy:

Release Date:

2019-09-28

:whistle:

Release dates on Hobby Easy are like going halfway to a wall, then halfway to a wall, then halfway to a wall, then.....

You never ever get to the wall. 

IMHO, not picky.

Just different people with different interests. And both (the ones ecstatic about this kit vs the ones expecting better) are probably right.

I do not like what I see overall (and I am dead certain it is not an optical illusion or lighting/reflection stuff) but I will probably buy one kit just for the dirty wings and sell the remainder. I just hope the recessed details on the wings are not that far off Tamiya's recessed details finesse.

Edited by Silver Seraph
12 minutes ago, phantomdriver said:

No big deal to fix....

I don't know. To do it right, you'd have to fill in all the lower parts of the panel lines and rescribe new lines right next to the old ones. Tricky unless you use CA to do the filling. A lot of work I'd rather not have to do.

P.S. What are those two small rectangular panels below the front formation light? BDR?

Edited by Mstor
37 minutes ago, phantomdriver said:

No big deal to fix....

Well I'm telling you now that this photo is GREATLY exaggerating this misalignment. I mean come on...the photo is a closeup and is at least 5 times the size of the part.  You can't see this "misalignment" unless you use some kind of magnifying device!  I had to use my reading glasses AND a 4X magnifying headset to see it. Good grief.....