24 minutes ago, ChernayaAkula said:

I am serious.

Your Surfacer dries and sands in 15 seconds?

Also, basic modelling skills and all that.... It's not that I can't fix it. I just  don't want to. I don't want to have to fix something that shouldn't need fixing in the first place.

Mate, you make a big deal for something that happens to all modern models at some part or another.

Like saying that the cockpit is out of scale because the plastic is not as thin as the real metal side walls in the real thing (yep, I have heard that too).

But keep on. It is rather obvious what is happening with this kit here. And it is a joke.

Edited by DIO
4 minutes ago, DIO said:

<...> But keep on. It is rather obvious what is happening with this kit here. And it is a joke.

Just.... no. I don't have a horse in this race. 1/48 isn't my scale. If anything,  want this Tomcat kit to sell by the hundreds. I hope AMK will be around for a long time. I hope they'll scale down that lovely Foxhound of theirs.

You didn't hear that thing about wall thickness from me.

Does this happen to all models at one point or another? The parts break-down and the mould design was supposed to make things easier. Well, it doesn't make it easier if it requires fixing. In case of the Tomcat here, it's probably not that hard to fix (a fix it shouldn't need). In case of some of the bombs in the 1/72 Kfir kit, they're beyond economical repair.

3 hours ago, ChernayaAkula said:

Once you have to bring Surfacer into play, the 15 seconds thing is well and truly busted!

To fix something that shouldnt even need fixing. To fix something that was even touted as a fix to potential problems introduced by the modeller during construction.

This misalignment might even be one of the more manageable instances. When bomb moulds are misaligned, the resulting plastic parts are close to useless. Again: intended to make the modeller's life easier by taking away the need to carefully align bomb halves. Fine in theory.....

what are you talking about??? It is easier to glue two pieces and try to get rid of the seam line than this single piece gem???!!!? lol, You are lost mate. 🙂 you guys don't deserve these models. 😜

Wow, some of the comments are truly incredible.

Paraphrasing here but;

If you don't model as good as me you shouldn't even have this kit.

you guys don't deserve these models.

It appears that unless you are true blue fanboy of this kit there are some members here who think you should not be allowed to purchase this kit. It's amazing how some members are attacking other members simply because they are expressing their opinion of a plastic model kit. Guess the concept of free speech is lost on some members here.

This is kit bashing and the scale is unprecedented.

To my eyes raising issues that have to do with the technology used, that are not in particular with this kit, are just meant to create an overall negative climate. And this is so much annoying here, as it would be for any other kit/manufacturer.

Have a look (if not terribly bored doing so) at an example I have mentioned before over the kit plastic cockpit walls. Just rediculus.

8 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

Guess the concept of free speech is lost on some members here.

I think it bears mentioning that this is a privately owned and run forum. There is no such thing as free speech under these conditions. If the owner doesn't like what you have to say, they have every right to kick you off the forum or at very least read you the riot act. We are here at the sufferance of the owner's good graces. Let us not forget that unless we want to find ourselves looking for a new venue to post on.

1 minute ago, Mstor said:

I think it bears mentioning that this is a privately owned and run forum. There is no such thing as free speech under these conditions. If the owner doesn't like what you have to say, they have every right to kick you off the forum or at very least read you the riot act. We are here at the sufferance of the owner's good graces. Let us not forget that unless we want to find ourselves looking for a new venue to post on.

Word

3 minutes ago, DIO said:

Have a look (if not terribly bored doing so) at an example I have mentioned before over the kit plastic cockpit walls. Just rediculus.

When the misalignment issue on the canopy was brought up, it was investigated by Terry and others and determined to be a minor if not non-existent issue. That's just fine. Something comes up, it is discussed, people provide further evidence and the controversy was resolved with the minimum of fuss. We should be able to do the same with this possible fuselage alignment issue. After I posted my opinion of doing a fix, someone (sorry don't remember) stated that it was almost invisible when not magnified. That's great. Hopefully it just looked like a bigger issue in the close up (I will reserve final judgement till I receive my kit). There should be no need to be throwing insults and aggravation around here. Can't we start acting like adults, please?

Cross post (Thanks to Mr. Fishbone):

As the tail fin of this F-14D is fully black so I decided to try the decals which produced by Furball Aero Design. I sprayed SF288 Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500 Black onto both tail fins - I love the finishing so much, it's fully flat black! I begin the decal work after few layers of clear coat which will make the decals much more easier to slide. 

Decals are very good, thin and tough but please remember to put a little more water on the surface otherwise it'll very hard to slide it around. The decals are perfectly settled on the tail fins after 2-3 layers of Softener.

70629454_10220833576733226_3341524748591

71474407_10220833572253114_7584902404965

71029547_10220833576053209_1891267803453

71709458_10220833575133186_1345150213412

70618588_10220833579253289_3672196814741

70587176_10220833584413418_8481016390331

71708083_10220833579853304_5480552529404

70538224_10220833586213463_8662511507713

70917382_10220833585653449_5282599784538

71230815_10220833589053534_1756978474054

71467115_10220833588613523_8190804045686

AMK 1/48 F-14D updates:

Pre-shaded with SF288 & Gunze 40, this Felix is too big...my thumb is pain and tired, so that's all for the night.

71765997_2330215930573902_61263134466118

68664077_2330216270573868_60506769551104

70776439_2330216147240547_60470529561953

69872585_2330216297240532_68763392862500

71835271_2330216387240523_48904345842582

70849090_2330216467240515_49013588894102

71803099_2330216753907153_36798052247525

70828631_2330216930573802_26717228378441

70870915_2330216963907132_41952869891650

70899379_2330217000573795_38819273263001

Edited by foxmulder_ms
9 hours ago, Mstor said:

When the misalignment issue on the canopy was brought up, it was investigated by Terry and others and determined to be a minor if not non-existent issue. That's just fine. Something comes up, it is discussed, people provide further evidence and the controversy was resolved with the minimum of fuss. We should be able to do the same with this possible fuselage alignment issue. After I posted my opinion of doing a fix, someone (sorry don't remember) stated that it was almost invisible when not magnified. That's great. Hopefully it just looked like a bigger issue in the close up (I will reserve final judgement till I receive my kit). There should be no need to be throwing insults and aggravation around here. Can't we start acting like adults, please?

Sorry if it was my comments that offended you. Honestly had no intention for doing so...

11 minutes ago, DIO said:

Sorry if it was my comments that offended you. Honestly had no intention for doing so...

No offense taken DIO. I wasn't even really talking about the post you were referring to (not even sure which one that was, I got s&%* for brains these days :naughty:). Just used it to bring up the canopy frame misalignment discussion. All is cool my friend :thumbsup:.

10 hours ago, Mstor said:

Then only the owner and Mod's should determine what can/cannot be said on this site, not regular members.

11 hours ago, GW8345 said:

If you don't model as good as me you shouldn't even have this kit.

To me it looks like a good summary. "If you aren't skilled enough then this model is too difficult for you."

In my opinion if kit is good then the plastic need no defender, because quality will defend itself.

Edited by Tapchan
21 hours ago, terrysumner said:

Well I'm telling you now that this photo is GREATLY exaggerating this misalignment. I mean come on...the photo is a closeup and is at least 5 times the size of the part.  You can't see this "misalignment" unless you use some kind of magnifying device!  I had to use my reading glasses AND a 4X magnifying headset to see it. Good grief.....

Back to the kit. Above Terry is referring to the misalignment seen on the forward fuselage. Since he is the only one here (that I know of, correct me if I'm wrong) that has the kit, I will accept his evaluation until I have a kit in hand.

20 hours ago, GW8345 said:

They look like patches, probably on the real aircraft they used as an example.

The patches most like were the results of a "basket strikes", i.e. the refueling basket hitting the aircraft. It was not unknown for that panel to get hit every so often during air to air refueling,

Above is in regard to the small rectangular raised panels seen on the kit's forward fuselage. Thanks GW8345. That makes sense. a few swipes of a sanding stick should fix that one then (unless someone actually finds and builds the actual airframe with those patches).

12 hours ago, DIO said:

This is kit bashing and the scale is unprecedented.

To my eyes raising issues that have to do with the technology used, that are not in particular with this kit, are just meant to create an overall negative climate. And this is so much annoying here, as it would be for any other kit/manufacturer.

I'm sorry. You are absolutely correct. I don't know why I would think that people should be allowed to discuss something they see that might be a problem with a new kit. It clearly is a perfect model that is above all critiques and criticisms. Honestly, you guys are right in saying we don't deserve such a kit. It should be enough that we are allowed to watch other people build it, in all it's glorious beauty. And anything that might be construed as a possibly flaw is CLEARLY beyond our measly modest skills. If we can't re-scribe panel lines perfectly then we probably shouldn't even be allowed to buy this model let alone be model builders at all. I'm on board with you guys now. Next time I see someone post a question or concern about this kit I think i may be the first in line to tell them to shut up and build it. It's a perfect model and any shape or molding issues is likely due to them not knowing what a drawing is, or not knowing anything about what panel lines look like in a photo. I hope you guys can forgive me for even wanting to hear what people might find wrong with the model before I spend money on it. 

Come on 300!!!

1 hour ago, GW8345 said:

Then only the owner and Mod's should determine what can/cannot be said on this site, not regular members.

While this is true, I don't think one should take it as license to feel they can get away with poor behavior (not saying that you were inferring that). I cannot speak for Terry, but I think he would frown upon someone pushing the limits of acceptable discourse.

On the other hand, it does mean that other members should not take it upon themselves to decide what can or cannot be said by any other member (assuming the discussion is within the guidelines put forth by the forum owners and mods).

Essentially, there are NO free speech guarantees on a privately owned forum. I have seen this argument come up on other forums. People complaining that their "free speech rights" are being violated. If this were a government funded or controlled forum then yes, those rights would apply as the government cannot censure free speech. But here, no, it does not apply and the owner and the mods, subject to the owner, have full discretion as to what type of discourse they will allow.

Edited by Mstor
6 minutes ago, niart17 said:

I'm sorry. You are absolutely correct. I don't know why I would think that people should be allowed to discuss something they see that might be a problem with a new kit. It clearly is a perfect model that is above all critiques and criticisms. Honestly, you guys are right in saying we don't deserve such a kit. It should be enough that we are allowed to watch other people build it, in all it's glorious beauty. And anything that might be construed as a possibly flaw is CLEARLY beyond our measly modest skills. If we can't re-scribe panel lines perfectly then we probably shouldn't even be allowed to buy this model let alone be model builders at all. I'm on board with you guys now. Next time I see someone post a question or concern about this kit I think i may be the first in line to tell them to shut up and build it. It's a perfect model and any shape or molding issues is likely due to them not knowing what a drawing is, or not knowing anything about what panel lines look like in a photo. I hope you guys can forgive me for even wanting to hear what people might find wrong with the model before I spend money on it. 

:thatfunny:

While I do think you are walking on the edge with this post, it IS a wonderfully sarcastic and funny comment. Needs an emoji or two, though, to take the edge off it, else you're really going to start pissing someone off. :thumbsup::naughty:

8 minutes ago, Mstor said:

While this is true, I don't think one should take it as license to feel they can get away with poor behavior (not saying that you were inferring that). I cannot speak for Terry, but I think he would frown upon someone pushing the limits of acceptable discourse.

On the other hand, it does mean that other members should not take it upon themselves to decide what can or cannot be said by any other member (assuming the discussion is within the guidelines put forth by the forum owners and mods).

Essentially, there is NO free speech guarantees on a privately owned forum. I have see this argument come up on other forums. People complaining that their "free speech rights" are being violated. If this were a government funded or controlled forum the yes, those rights would apply as the government cannot censure free speech. But here, no, it does not apply and the owner and the mods, subject to the owner, have full discretion as to what type of discourse they will allow.

True. There is no "right to free speech" on a forum. Anything at all anywhere on a forum is indeed subject to whatever the owner sees fit. And the moderators, while we discuss things sometimes, are bound to moderate the forums by the owner's edicts or wishes. And hell, this forum's owner is Canadian and I personally have no clue what free speech rights there even are in Canada! The whole free speech thing is American.😉

Point taken.  I totally respect you guy's right to shut any of this conversation down or whatever. Just adding a little levity to what I already see as pretty humorous. I totally understand that some of you guys think that there is nothing but bashing going on here and I can respect that. But I also see a concerted effort to defend the model at pretty much all cost. It's kind of funny more than anything. I've followed this thread from the beginning and it's pretty much started off just as it is now. Someone pointing out something and someone knocking them over the head for questioning it. But we are after all a funny species, model builders. If there's one thing we know its that everyone else doesn't know it. 😀

1 hour ago, terrysumner said:

True. There is no "right to free speech" on a forum. Anything at all anywhere on a forum is indeed subject to whatever the owner sees fit. And the moderators, while we discuss things sometimes, are bound to moderate the forums by the owner's edicts or wishes. And hell, this forum's owner is Canadian and I personally have no clue what free speech rights there even are in Canada! The whole free speech thing is American.😉

You bring up a good point Terry. When I was referring to "Free Speech", I was referring to it as defined by the government of the USA. Now, while the owner is Canadian, do you know where the forum as actually hosted? I think that, more than the nationality of the owner, would define what laws govern speech as it applies to online forums. If this where hosted in China, the government could take the whole thing over at any time for any reason. I know some of our Chinese members might disagree, but the Chinese government has pretty much absolute power over all forms of speech. Like Terry, though, I don't know what Canada or perhaps Australia have as far as free speech guarantees (those two countries along with European countries being likely locations to host a forum like this, if not the US).

15 minutes ago, niart17 said:

Point taken.  I totally respect you guy's right to shut any of this conversation down or whatever. Just adding a little levity to what I already see as pretty humorous. I totally understand that some of you guys think that there is nothing but bashing going on here and I can respect that. But I also see a concerted effort to defend the model at pretty much all cost. It's kind of funny more than anything. I've followed this thread from the beginning and it's pretty much started off just as it is now. Someone pointing out something and someone knocking them over the head for questioning it. But we are after all a funny species, model builders. If there's one thing we know its that everyone else doesn't know it. 😀

It's just not a perennial way to promote and sell a kit.

Like Tapchan says earlier "plastic needs no defender, bc quality defends itself". He's 100% right about these one.

Normally, manufacturers just need  to show pictures of their kit to sell thousands (see what happens with the Eduard P-51 first release at the Nats)

Here, we are before a pretty new paradigm: a manufacturer who manifestly didn't and still doesn't want to show the kit (why? that's the question) , makes most of his promotion through promises/talks (not concret matters, no definitive plastic, no definitive pics), and restrains information the more it can (why? that's the question too). This does not give a good feeling about what will happen next.

And contrary to the narrative some people are trying to infuse here, the way the discussion works on this specific topic on ARC, is not endemic.

You can found the exact same way of discussing on other boards and social networks, as soon people talks about this kit and these brand in general.

Few weeks ago, I made a reference here about a discussion I saw on Britmodeller, where concret proofs about the canopy suddenly  disappeared.

There was previously on the same topic a discussion about the same subject you talked about ironically in your previous post. And guess what? Nuked too.

And it seems there is the very same "mood" in the famous AMK private fan page on FB.

So it's not a surprise to see people here attacking others people because the formers have the gal to see something obvious or perceptible.

There are different manners to deal with a bad news, some people prefer attack others, their choice.