You can add those, saw on modelforum.cz: 

file.php?id=1528349

file.php?id=1528379

Someone was in a hurry.

Wow! That's just . . . disappointing to see. Looks like a research paper written at the last minute while ignoring spell check.

The panel lines near the intake lip?????? and all the rest. Why is there such inconsistency here? I don't think any other AMK kit had issues like this.

There are those that will be happy with their kits.

Wow! That's just . . . disappointing to see. Looks like a research paper written at the last minute while ignoring spell check.

The panel lines near the intake lip?????? and all the rest. Why is there such inconsistency here? I don't think any other AMK kit had issues like this.

There are those that will be happy with their kits.

The one on the right seems more refined. It's almost as if they made some error and used the old CAD for the left part.

IMG_4317.jpg

Fortunately it's on the bottom side so I'll still get the kit, but it would be nice if AMK would mold the corrected part and make it available for their customers through the distributors. Perhaps for the next production run?

Can we not get a photo of this from someone that is directly here and has the kit in hand? I only ask cause it seems the issues are popping up from third-party sources and not anyone here. Just a thought.

These two photos are from two different sources. The plastic in the box is this plastic. Photography captures reality - to a degree - so these are facts that can be accepted by everyone. I doubt these two sources for the photographs are part of some super secret cabal out to take down a minor company that makes plastic kits.

I get it that there are consumers who really don't care about the quality of the products they buy. But then there are many of us who value the effort that we put in, trading the time out of our lives, earning money. The $65 I gave AMK for this kit represents part of my life. The product should then measure up to the value I place on my life. AMKs effort here has fallen short of their own stated goal of making "The Best F-14D" ever. 

As consumers we can evaluate this kit, compare it to the competition, and decide which kit it is we wish to trade part of our dollars=time=life for.

BTW I won't trust any of the Influencers AMK gave the kit to before it was allowed to get an impartial review. They are a business and they want to make a profit. I have no problem with that. However to post a blurry photo of the rear fuselage resting on top of respected scale plans and claim the kit has no issues, when it clearly does, tells me a lot about AMK.

file.php?id=1528349

IMG_4317.jpg

I can confirm that the pics above reflect the plastic that is contained within the two kits I have received. For some reason I cannot upload the pics I took, so I can only confirm verbally.

Edited by madmanrick

I have maintained since the release of the test shot plastic that we should withhold judgement, until such time as the actual kit was released. But, now many of us have this kit in hand, so let the flames begin (if that's what float your boat). However, those flames should only be directed at said plastic and not any one person or group. If this kit represents the Kitty Hawkization of the model industry to you, well so be it. Now that it is actually for sale, let the kit speak for itself or not.

I can confirm that the pics above reflect the plastic that is contained within the two kits I have received. For some reason I cannot upload the pics I took, so I can only confirm verbally.

Thanks Rick, that's basically what I was looking to hear or see.

From all the fictitious errors I have seen mentioned here, this the first one that appears to be a real one. And one that is not easy to fix, without a good experience in re-scribing details.

That it is at the under side is some comfort, but not for detailers, like myself. Bummer!

Edited by DIO

I see a difference in how the hinges (?) were represented, but the panel lines on both look nice and sharp. 

No, those panel lines are not sharp and nice.

Definitely.Those lines on the right inlet are such nice and sharp, but mostly panel lines on AMK F-14D are very wide and shallow, what looks really, really bad for me.

I do believe such soapy panel lines are one of the major issues of this kit.

afvTVCR.jpg

Disagree completely with the statement that the panel lines are wide and shallow. They are finer than previous iterations in AMK kits, but that is in reaction to what some called the overly wide and deep panel lines in the AMK MiG-31 (which were and are not a problem for me). For me the panel lines on their F-14D are acceptable in terms of depth and sharpness for the most part (there are inconsistencies). MY takeaway from the photos posted above are that the kit panel lines are not consistent between the intake shrouds. In other words, what is engraved on the left is not what is engraved on the right and that is also the case with my kits, so it isn't a pre-production error. While the difference won't affect the building of the kit and will hardly be noticable when the kit is complete, they DO exist and it should have never happened, particularly with the extended gestation of this kit. I believe it shows an inattention to detail by persons completely unfamiliar with the subject matter. Deal breaker? No (at least for me). But combined with the incorrectly located refueling probe door and other reported errors, it does make one question what AMK was looking at when this kit was being designed.

For the most part AMK got the basic shapes right (reported errors notwithstanding) and it looks like an F-14D to my eyes. But, there are some very inexplicable choices that were made during the design phase, that either were missed or ignored for whatever reason. This is inexcusable and something that AMK will need to fix before they release another kit.

12 hours ago, Solo said:

Hips don't lie:

RZT3pp1.jpg

So this was saved in my cookies, so here ya go!

Also I believe the loss was due to a conspiracy to prevent us from reaching the mythical 300 page mark and someone from earning the promised two kits from Sio.

(actually I really don't, I am being facetious)

Edited by madmanrick
2 hours ago, madmanrick said:

Also I believe the loss was due to a conspiracy to prevent us from reaching the mythical 300 page mark and someone from earning the promised two kits from Sio.

:woot.gif: I'm filing a complaint with OAS regarding this utter subjugation of our freedom of speech; y'all see...

So I guess to correct it the hips need to be sanded down to straighten them a little (probably requiring some two-part putty from the inside so as not to create a hole), then the inner edge of the horizontal stabs will need to be extended with a little styrene to match the new shape?

2 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

So I guess to correct it the hips need to be sanded down to straighten them a little (probably requiring some two-part putty from the inside so as not to create a hole), then the inner edge of the horizontal stabs will need to be extended with a little styrene to match the new shape?

For me no, it's a cross section and complex issue, as can see by comparing the slope of the front and rear edges:

Unbenannt.jpg.960d526cb453e5bc5f30aeaa4eb3f43b.jpg

On the AMK it's rather uniform(red lines more or less parallel), on the Tamiya one, like the real thing, there is a noticeable twist, the slope is greater at the rear(comparable to AMK) but decreases towards the front, the front becomes flatter. I think that's also why the inflated air bag on the AMK kit appears to be much thicker. Surely the photo show the parts still on the sprues, but on the build up models it has always been the same.

Edited by delide