8 hours ago, delide said:

For me no, it's a cross section and complex issue, as can see by comparing the slope of the front and rear edges:

I believe it is both. The AMK has too much slope in the upper hip area and the outer shape is rounded where it should be straight. Maybe sanding would make the outer shape area look better, but if you look closely at photos of the real thing, there are some complex curves along the upper edge. Fixing the cross section would probably mean building a new rear end.

Its a shame. After we pointed out where the issues were I thought they were taking all the time we waited to redo the molds. I have no idea what they were doing during the time now. Oh well. I think most people will just have to live with these problems, along with the IFR probe problem.

Now to more important matters. Who is conspiring to keep us from 300 pages! :hmmm::explode:

3 hours ago, Space Tiger Hobbes said:

The IFR probe could be fixed with a drop in part and maybe a keyed vinyl cutting template. But that's optional. Start looking at F-14s from the past and none are perfect. This kit's a beauty. 

You don't need to do the equivalent of Crainomaxilofacial surgery on Tamiya's F-14 family. Just requires some cosmetic enhancements (Aires/Eduard/Quickboost resin) not severe or profound corrections.  

This is more than an owie :woot.gif:

Concepts in Management of Advanced Craniomaxillofacial Injuries | IntechOpen

Maybe because they have never advertised their kit as the most accurate Tomcat model ever. Without big talks, thay just did it and let the plastic speak for itself. Oh, and they didn't had ~2 year delay. On the other hand problem with AMK hip area was recognized by us just like over year ago, from first test shot photos. Nothing was done with it. 

5 hours ago, DIO said:

It is not that Tamiya does not need any fixes. It is that the Tamiya kit has not been bashed in a similar way.

Maybe because they didn't overhype their product 4 years ago,

maybe bc they didn't announce several release dates and disappear every time,

maybe bc they didn't organize a crowfunding to help them inject the kit and disappear,

maybe bc they didn't lie several times to their own customers and potential ones,

maybe bc they didn't spread fake news with the aim of not having to assume their own statements, comments and errors.

maybe bc they don't need to give free kits to a overly select panel to have good reviews about their kits. 

maybe bc they don't need to instruct the same hypothetical select panel which photos are good or not in their reviews, 

maybe bc they don't need to try to censor discussions and pictures about their own kits.

3 hours ago, Tapchan said:

Maybe because they have never advertised their kit as the most accurate Tomcat model ever. Without big talks, thay just did it and let the plastic speak for itself. Oh, and they didn't had ~2 year delay. On the other hand problem with AMK hip area was recognized by us just like over year ago, from first test shot photos. Nothing was done with it. 

About this, it's funny to see the difference between the release of the AMK "supertomcat" and the Tamiya P-38.

I litteraly saw more builds by people who buy the kits, reviews, built kits, macro shots and articles... of the Tamiya P-38 than the AMK kit.

For the time being, I only saw one "preview" about the latter, in Scale Aviation Model International, and the article is  -to put it politely- unexpected.

1 hour ago, shion said:

Maybe because they didn't overhype their product 4 years ago,

maybe bc they didn't announce several release dates and disappear every time,

maybe bc they didn't organize a crowfunding to help them inject the kit and disappear,

maybe bc they didn't lie several times to their own customers and potential ones,

maybe bc they didn't spread fake news with the aim of not having to assume their own statements, comments and errors.

maybe bc they don't need to give free kits to a overly select panel to have good reviews about their kits. 

maybe bc they don't need to instruct the same hypothetical select panel which photos are good or not in their reviews, 

maybe bc they don't need to try to censor discussions and pictures about their own kits.

An obliterating post with which I WHOLLY agree. Last three maybes are quite shameful for those who have complied with...

Maybe because they have dismissed the issue with the awful hips as being and optical illusion! :hmmm:Yes, sure.

2 minutes ago, DIO said:

Just the same people, continue the same tactics. This alone says a lot.

If saying the truth and recalling people facts are a tactic for you,

maybe the problem isn't people you are pointing your finger at.

10 hours ago, Solo said:

Regarding the hips: the differencies between Tamiya and AMK are so small and insignificant, so I can say AMK's kit has got only one problem, with too wide panel lines.

In your opinion. To me, it screams out at me every time I look at it and its not insignificant when I can see it from six feet away. Let's say we agree to disagree. :dontknow:

Edited by Mstor
2 hours ago, Mstor said:

Too me, it (the hip issue on the AMK Tomcat kit, that is) screams out at me every time I look at it and its not insignificant when I can see it from six feet away.

I'm with Mark on that one; the problem with the hips is quite evident when viewing the AMK kit from virtually every angle. It jumps out at you like it never happened with any other 1/48 Tomcat kits I've got. It was evident right from the start, when that infamous picture was posted back in page number 40-some? (the one on which everybody sketched their red stripes).

It's a shame because I think the wings on the AMK kit are the best there is out there today. But with those hips, I'll pass...

I've got an AMK F-14 kit on pre-order and am looking forward to seeing it in-hand but I have to admit, it does feel like a mixed bag.   

I see some great ingenuity mixed in with some unnecessary errors.  It truly is a shame that the errors were not caught and/or addressed before manufacturing started.

30 minutes ago, FlyAndFight said:

I see some great ingenuity mixed in with some unnecessary errors.

This.

I'm looking over the kit right now and so far all of the errors pointed out seem validated (, IMHO).

As time permits, I'm going to do some digging and see if I can't figure this thing out.

:cheers:

1 hour ago, Zactoman said:

This.

I'm looking over the kit right now and so far all of the errors pointed out seem validated (, IMHO).

As time permits, I'm going to do some digging and see if I can't figure this thing out.

You mean you're going to continue to "bash" this kit? You hater! :whistle:

1 hour ago, niart17 said:

You mean you're going to continue to "bash" this kit? You hater! :whistle:

I need to properly compose my thoughts, but will likely have some good things to say about the kit and AMK (and I'm going to bash the kit :taunt:).

32 minutes ago, madcop said:

No, now he is going to make (some) bucks out of it. AMK may have missed something, he won't ! 😉

I doubt I'll be doing any aftermarket for this, at least the hips. I suspect that a proper fix would involve too many parts at a higher cost than most would be willing to pay. I suppose some band-aids might be possible, we'll see.

I am hoping to diagnose the underlying problem(s) and possibly make suggestions on how builders can fix it themselves.

26 minutes ago, Zactoman said:

I need to properly compose my thoughts, but will likely have some good things to say about the kit and AMK (and I'm going to bash the kit :taunt:).

I doubt I'll be doing any aftermarket for this, at least the hips. I suspect that a proper fix would involve too many parts at a higher cost than most would be willing to pay. I suppose some band-aids might be possible, we'll see.

I am hoping to diagnose the underlying problem(s) and possibly make suggestions on how builders can fix it themselves.

Careful!  You'll be accused of being a rival model company and personal insults will follow!  :wmsmiley-poop-hits-the-fan:

Can't wait to see your thoughts and judgement!