17 hours ago, MoFo said:

FWIW, they weren't deleted, specifically.  There was an error with the board's software and it had to be reset to a version that was saved a couple of days earlier.  Everything that was posted from the 28th to the 30th was lost.  It sucks, but there really wasn't any other option.

So no, your (very valid) complaints weren't targeted by the mods for not being about the plastic.

Okay thanks for the information about pages being lost from a software glitch. I stand corrected.

2 hours ago, Mstor said:

I think there is more going on than just a depression to be filled in. There is the issue of too steep a slope from that edge back to the tail. I have a feeling the problem starts further forward, else how is there room for this slope? No, there is some error somewhere that is propagating back and allowing for the strange configuration of the rear end. I'm hoping that Zactoman will be able to figure this out. He seems to have a knack for this kind of thing (no pressure Zactoman, just the hopes and desires of thousands of crazed scale modelers obsessed with the minutia of this F-14 kit).

P.S. Looking at the AMK kit, if you were to fill in the depression with putty to level it out more, it would make the side panels too high. That's why I think there is something else going on here. The side panels on the Tamiya and AMK kits and the photo of the real thing are all about the same height. Adding more material to the AMK kit throws off the proportions of the side panels.

I have been looking at the area over the wing pivot points. It seems to bulge upward. This results in a gap between the top of the wing and the wing gloves on the builds posted online and in naked builds.

de6d1795d143ad4b65c135cf8f025aafa50f06b4.jpg?w=620

72202216_10221008759032674_1357672134729531392_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&cachebreaker=sd&_nc_oc=AQlTkG9yVtj_tvRJNTpS5E1DQwsn1IBOCrQ837Tvi-d-EUDshH_a466u6vTtbwYnr8AnAAZrGMe8OxUPKoUsa0ew&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.xx&oh=8a2318db24ddafca3fe3259990c5a84f&oe=5E638915

72357332_10220929433649589_3057356535328

The Tamiya kit for comparison. The bulge is subtle on the AMK kit.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.starcraftwars.com%2Fmech9%2F2017%2F05%2Ff14b.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Also look at the relationship of the cockpit pod to the fuselage. (Never mind the test shots fat hips.)

AMK 1/48 F-14!!! - Page 115 - Jet Modeling - ARC Discussion Forums

Looks like the side of the fuselage and the wing bladder need to rise to meet the front.

"I could be wrong. I could be right." PIL

21 minutes ago, masanissa said:

I have been looking at the area over the wing pivot points. It seems to bulge upward. This results in a gap between the top of the wing and the wing gloves on the builds posted online and in naked builds.

There are some other AMK builds that don't show that gap between the wing and the gloves. I think whoever did that build, messed something up. There is a bulge over the wing pivot on the real thing but I don't think it quite as noticeable as AMK's.

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

There are some other AMK builds that don't show that gap between the wing and the gloves. I think whoever did that build, messed something up. There is a bulge over the wing pivot on the real thing but I don't think it quite as noticeable as AMK's.

The gap has been pretty consistent on multiple builds. (Always pose the tail plane in the up position to hide the pinched rear end.) Yes this does "look like a Tomcat" and there is some nice details, but in a crowded 1/48 F-14 market the competition is ferocious. So for your hard to earn dollars it's good to be informed.

My friend who has the AMK kit is off on vacation in Hawaii right now, so I'm unable to measure the plastic and check the bulge.

No photo description available.

Image may contain: airplane

I've been grinding away on my Hobby Boss F-14A, because I made the wonderful choice of installing the Aires wheel wells, but test fit of the wings doesn't show this sort of gap.

Here's the venerable 1/48 Hasegawa kit with known fit challenges.

UK Airshow Review Forums • F-14D Tomcat 1/48 Hasegawa Finished!

6 hours ago, Mstor said:

There is the issue of too steep a slope from that edge back to the tail. I have a feeling the problem starts further forward, else how is there room for this slope? No, there is some error somewhere that is propagating back and allowing for the strange configuration of the rear end.

Have a look back at the overlays I posted on page 253: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/285277-amk-148-f-14/&do=findComment&comment=2976850

Most of the answers are there, and, if you look closely, you can find other issues that haven't been discussed yet.

I didn't necessarily want to turn this into a direct comparison of the AMK kit to the Tamiya so didn't include the Tamiya lines overlayed with the AMK on pg 253. However, the more I look the more it becomes evident that the Tamiya kit is dead-nuts, spot on as far as size and shape. It seems that if you compare the kits and find a difference you can assume that Tamiya got it right.
Here is an overlay of the Tamiya lines on the AMK decal chart (I'm now confident that the decal chart artwork was taken from the CAD drawing used to tool the kit):

Overlay_Tamiya_AMK_zps1iq0ioka.jpg

5 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

The curvature of the the horizontal stabilizer will have to be corrected as well after fixing the hips.

More than the curvature if you want an accurate build...

Stab1_zpslsrg360t.jpg

I've been busy and haven't had much time to analyze the kit yet. I'd like to hold back my conclusions until I can show comparison photos and hopefully, similar views of the real plane for comparison, but will comment if I can add to the discussion.

:cheers:

Thanks Zactoman. The only problem with the Tamiya drawing over the AMK is the the wing is swept and covering much of an area of interest. There seems to be something going on with how the top of the fuselage aft of the canopy is sloping. If I''m looking at it right, there isn't enough slope. Its also difficult to see what going on with the rear of the fuselage under the wing bladders and back, but things don't seem to line up there either.

That's all I'm going to venture right now and will wait until you have had a chance to investigate further. Now if I could just get my current project off the worktable, I'd have room to unpack my AMK kit and compare it to my 90% complete Tamiya F-14A.

10 hours ago, Zactoman said:

I've been busy and haven't had much time to analyze the kit yet. I'd like to hold back my conclusions until I can show comparison photos and hopefully, similar views of the real plane for comparison, but will comment if I can add to the discussion.

Zacto, please pay attention on "shouldes" (fixed wing root areas over engine intakes) when you will examine AMK model. It ls look like that they have exessive thikcness at the front edge comparing real thing. I suspect wrong cross-cection profile in these areas.

Edited by Alex Matvey

So did I. But I still have asked him (her) when she (he) was planning the expedition of the package... Anyway looks like it's moving ... Good thing ! It's never too late 😉

Edited by madcop
5 hours ago, flanker27 said:

Vicky from AMK just email me to confirm my address in indiegogo, so it seems those who pre-order from indiegogo should receive their kits soon I hope.

Thanks for posting this, I was going to ask Indiegogo people if they had been contacted. I received an email this am from Vicky as well. AMK finally will be getting kits to the project backers.

On Saturday I sent AMK another email (with some stern wording) informing them of my disappointment and that they had lost a customer, since on October 15th I was told the kits would ship in "just a few days" and nothing happened. Vicky responded to that email. 

When you respond ask for a tracking number. We're not getting hats or a t-shirt. Which doesn't disappoint me at all. 

It will be nice to finally have this matter settled.

5 hours ago, madcop said:

So did I. But I still have asked him (her) when she (he) was planning the expedition of the package... Anyway looks like it's moving ... Good thing ! It's never too late 😉

"planning the expedition of the package"

There's the rub. :rofl:

Not like we're needing these at the K2 Base Camp.

6 minutes ago, flanker27 said:

yes nice to have this finally settled, now on to 300 threads and the free Tomcat 😁, though that might take another year to ship ....

Can we talk about F-104Gs? For FIVE YEARS:chain-gun:

Thirty six pages of Tomcats to go 

You post some more

or so you swore

Thirty five pages of Tomcats to go . . . :cheers:

Edited by masanissa
38 minutes ago, masanissa said:

"planning the expedition of the package"

There's the rub. :rofl:

Not like we're needing these at the K2 Base Camp.

Yeah, " When does she plan to send the package " would have been better...but after all after 3 years of preparation it sounds well like an expedition.......:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, masanissa said:

You post some more

or so you swore

Thirty five pages of Tomcats to go . . . 

Absolutely Excellent!!!:rofl::clap2:

300 here we come!

Indiegogo kits should go out soon . . . hopefully by the end of this week?

Received an email follow up from Vicky at AMK. Tracking numbers should be sent out as well.

From Vicky:

"Thank you for your confirm.

I will arrange all the kits send out as soon as possible. And also will give the tracking Number. Don’t worry.

Cheers" 

:pancake20bunny0xf:

Is it me or do the slats on the AMK kit look like they just go straight out when deployed instead of angling downward like on the real aircraft?

On the real aircraft the slats deploy forward and down, the slats on the pictured builds looks like they are just forward with no downward angle. Not a huge deal and I'm sure fixable but something to be aware of.

32 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

Is it me or do the slats on the AMK kit look like they just go straight out when deployed instead of angling downward like on the real aircraft?

On the real aircraft the slats deploy forward and down, the slats on the pictured builds looks like they are just forward with no downward angle. Not a huge deal and I'm sure fixable but something to be aware of.

It is you...

1 hour ago, GW8345 said:

Kind of looks that way to me as well. But like you said, it could just be an illusion and/or something very simple to fix if it's off. Honestly though, I wouldn't have known how the actual slats deploy if you'd not said anything and maybe wouldn't have noticed. But yes, they do appear to be just pulled forward with no droop.

On 11/5/2019 at 3:46 PM, niart17 said:

Kind of looks that way to me as well. But like you said, it could just be an illusion and/or something very simple to fix if it's off. Honestly though, I wouldn't have known how the actual slats deploy if you'd not said anything and maybe wouldn't have noticed. But yes, they do appear to be just pulled forward with no droop.

Looks that way to me too. With the slats extended and looking from above, you should be able to see more of the red wing surface due to the slats moving down as well as forward. See the pic below (from an advertisement for Danny's book I think). Compare the pics of the slats from above to those of the kit.

BF14p03.jpg.5136e3c23c76f5d657c060e016207a54.jpg

Edited by Mstor
2 hours ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

Careful now, fellas, as the British @terrysumner over on Britmodeller has chosen to close the AMK Tomcat thread for posting.

It might as well happen to us on here, huh, Terry...?

Good move by Julien

We're discussing a popular model subject on a model discussion forum and doing so in a civil maner.

Why would you want to shut down free speech?

On 11/5/2019 at 1:37 PM, GW8345 said:

The slats do angle downward:

Slat_droop_zps8lf8p2kp.jpg

2 hours ago, Mstor said:

With the slats extended and looking from above, you should be able to see more of the red wing surface due to the slats moving down as well as forward.

You can see 3 different finished builds here; https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235061980-148-amk-usn-vf-31-f-14d-super-tomcat-tomcatters/

The VF-31 build includes a top view. Nice build but note that the angle of the left slat is a bit different than that on the right.

On page 2 the VF-2 build has modified slats that are only partially extended.

Towards the bottom of page 2 there is a VF-213 build with fully extended slats.

I previously asked why there was a big gap between the inboard slat edge and the wing root but nobody with the kit replied. I think I've figured out why.

Note the difference between the red line and the slat at the root and towards the wingtip and angle the slat sits at:

Slat_fit_zpsqo1ipmhg.jpg

I don't have measurements but they should be closer to parallel with only a slight angle, something like this:

Slat_fit_fix_zpsud2z6eo1.jpg

Note how changing the angle reduced the big gap between the slat and the root.

To fix this the modeler is going to need to extend the slots the slats fit into and tweak the slat guide rails.

Edited by Zactoman

More molding issues and inconsistencies...

The undersides of the dirty wings have a bunch of missing rivets on one wing and the rivets that are there are finer than those on the other wing:

Wing_bottom_flaws_zps0royoltn.jpg

The underside of the slats have big inconsistencies.

At the top of this pic is one of the separate slats next to the clean wing fixed slat. One of these is not the same.

Note that the fixed slat has raised circles with fine holes for rivets. These could be sanded down but the rivets will likely need to deepened or lost.

At the bottom are the two separate slats. One of these is not the same.

Note that the upper slat has a row of fine dashed lines and large, soft engraved rivets while the lower slat has sharper rivets and a continuous line.

Slat_bottom_flaws_zpshcpoljuc.jpg

Fortunately(?), these problems are on the underside where they won't be seen as much...

Edited by Zactoman