5 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Ummm those are US Army soldiers, not Marines.

9 hours ago, madmanrick said:

Sorry to disagree. The U.S. Government classifies model kits as Toys...

I think it is safe to say that none of us can agree on anything. So, lets all agree to disagree and call it a day. :cheers:

Now, as far as the AMK F-14D is concerned, Zactoman has given us some great analysis to consider. I've been looking at the AMK fuselage and comparing it to my Tamiya F-14A. I've been trying to figure out how the AMK kit's rear end gets the room to allow for the steeper slope from the Vertical Stabs down to the outer edge of the fuselage. I still can't figure it out, but I'm not that good at visualizing these things in my head. I think it fair to say that there is a difference in that area the slopes down (or up depending on your point of view). Its much steeper on the AMK kit. You can see the difference if you look at the edge where the wing bladder fits. The Tamiya kit is almost flat but the AMK kit is very curved.

Why am I spending time looking at this stuff? Because I think it is at the root of the problems with the shape of the rear end, the "hips". I am not convinced that the problem doesn't start even further up the fuselage towards the cockpit and in the turtle back area.

Now, those concerned for my sanity need not be concerned. I'm taking all my medications as the Dr. ordered. I have an appointment with the Vulcan high counsel next week  on Vulcan to discuss my application to study for the Kolinahr. (yea, now you're all jealous aren't you :taunt:). So all is well. :naughty:

On 11/22/2019 at 7:22 PM, masanissa said:

Being average is not something to excel at. Some of us strive to be an Excellent Joe. :thumbsup:

Would you want your Neurosurgeon to just be average? How about the movie you spend over $20 on when you go to the movie theater?

Having a model scrutinized in no way shape or form hurts the plastic modeling business. In fact there are some manufacturers that take constructive criticism to heart and improve their products: improved accuracy, better cockpit detailing, included aftermarket and masks in the box.

Over the years the Monogram, Hasegawa, and HB F-14's have been scrutinized. AMK saw an opportunity, but failed to live up to it's promise after half a decade of trying. In the meantime Tamiya seize the opportunity and now Great Wall sees an opening to corner part of the 1/48 F-14 market. The envelope is pushed because of nerdz.

The average Joe benefits from the "nerds".

That's a solid point.  I don't have the energy/interest in getting involved in kit QA stuff..i just want to buy a nice kit that goes together reasonably simply and looks like the real thing. I have more options and the opportunity to enjoy this hobby because of People who measure, compare and pressure manufacturers to raise standards.  

I have had some of the same issues. The intakes have kicked my fool but I keep trucking along. I have found this to be one of the slowest build I have done in a long time. I am not enjoying it at all, but I'll figure it out. It just seams that they were lazy at times when they made this kit.

Dave

13 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Well I was just speaking as a retired Soldier, that the picture is of Soldiers, not Marines.

As a retired lifer also, I must admit to being ......... er......ummmm... mistaken (Wrong in 1SG speak). That new uniform, which is a vast improvement over those crap ACUs, photographs much like the Marpat that Marines wear. I must be gettin' old!

2 hours ago, Alex Matvey said:

AMK F-14 fitting close-ups. Somebody has some troubles. Photos may be useful for part treatment and dry-fitting.

It's interesting to see the difference, no the gap between pics of the kit during the review/ad  here: https://ipmsnymburk.com/forum/viewtema.php?ID_tema=40611&page_d=0&idp_d=0&idc_d=1&show_html=

and pics of the WIP like this one:

1574410820_17_4.JPG

Not glamour anymore.

Yikes.

2 hours ago, Alex Matvey said:

AMK F-14 fitting close-ups. Somebody has some troubles. Photos may be useful for part treatment and dry-fitting.

WOWZERS!!!! The "big hips problem" was not a deal breaker for me, but this stuff sure is. Hopefully, there will be a few more WIP's posted to illustrate this, or if this builder had just made some mistakes. Right now, this kit is going from the "must buy" to the "maybe I'll pass" department for me!

1 hour ago, shion said:

It's interesting to see the difference, no the gap between pics of the kit during the review/ad  here: https://ipmsnymburk.com/forum/viewtema.php?ID_tema=40611&page_d=0&idp_d=0&idc_d=1&show_html=

and pics of the WIP like this one:

1574410820_17_4.JPG

Zato toto mi sedlo přesně a... = Slovak for This fits exactly...

And you know I'm the least interested in standing up for the AMK kit. Actually, I'm glad to be at "I'll surely pass it by" department. 

4 hours ago, Alex Matvey said:

Having seen many AMK F-14s assembled at this point, I think it’s clear that that modeler is not a dry-fitter. You can’t just cut the parts from the sprues and smash them together, no matter which kit you’re working on. He had gaps where I haven’t seen them on any other build, both from not addressing the mating surfaces of the parts and from placing the parts wrong.

23 minutes ago, andrew.deboer said:

You can’t just cut the parts from the sprues and smash them together, no matter which kit you’re working on.

BS

Not sure what kits you are building but I've put many kits together without dry fitting the parts and rarely had to use a drop of putty when I do.

4 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

BS

Not sure what kits you are building but I've put many kits together without dry fitting the parts and rarely had to use a drop of putty when I do.

I took Andrew's post to mean you can't just cut parts off the sprue and dry fit them without cleaning up nubs, flash, etc. I personally never dry fit. I just cut the parts off and smash them together. If they don't fit exactly, I bend them to my will...sometimes literally. 😊

my first thoughts were that the kit was being assembled by someone with very little experience with building a model. the Mig-31 kit fits perfectly if you test fit and pay close attention to the instructions. I managed to put my engines in the wrong side and the exhaust did not fit at all.

I am still waiting for an unbiased build up of the F-14 kit

13 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

BS

I build the best kit of a given subject that’s available. [My] life is too short for 40-year-old tooling and molds. 

So you don’t put the parts together without glue first just to check the fit? I’ve put together many kits where the parts fit perfectly when dry fit and I went on to apply glue right then. But, if I put the parts together and they don’t mate like I think they should, I true up the mating surfaces with a sanding stick or a blade so they fit right prior to the glue. I hate filling and sanding, so if I can make the seam as good as possible before glue, that’s the way I prefer to go.

So really, it’s not BS (thanks for your opinion)..

36 minutes ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

And you know I'm the least interested in standing up for the AMK kit. Actually, I'm glad to be at "I'll surely pass it by" department. 

Look at the picture:

-  both parts of the IRST do not fit exactly despite they are glued together.

- rivets and panel lines are not only soft, they have different sizes too.

- some panels lines and rivets lines aren't even straight.

31 minutes ago, andrew.deboer said:

Having seen many AMK F-14s assembled at this point, I think it’s clear that that modeler is not a dry-fitter. You can’t just cut the parts from the sprues and smash them together, no matter which kit you’re working on. He had gaps where I haven’t seen them on any other build, both from not addressing the mating surfaces of the parts and from placing the parts wrong.

Some fit problems are present on every WIP and the few built kits I saw.

5 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

BS

It depends on two things: builder proficiency and how the parts of the kit fit together.

Clearly, the builder here doesn't know what is dry-fitting.

But the kit doesn't help, I saw other builder having problems in the eaxct same aeras.

It's not surprising we saw so few builds of this kit.

41 minutes ago, shion said:

Look at the picture:

-  both parts of the IRST do not fit exactly despite they are glued together.

- rivets and panel lines are not only soft, they have different sizes too.

- some panels lines and rivets lines aren't even straight.

I'd rather go take a look at a snail twisting on a pond of salt... :rolleyes: i.e., I couldn't care less about the AMK Tomcat kit.

I JUST TRANSLATED WHAT THE BUILDER TYPED ON THAT PICTURE!

8 hours ago, Alex Matvey said:

Wow, that is disconcerting. I'd have to agree with most posts that it doesn't look like the builder did much in the way of dry fitting. I will say this, you'd have to really work at it to get the Tamiya kit to do what the AMK kit has done for that builder. It would be real helpful if someone could translate the text in the pics.  Google Translate can do the the text in the posts but not the text that is part of a graphic image.

5 hours ago, Mstor said:

Wow, that is disconcerting. I'd have to agree with most posts that it doesn't look like the builder did much in the way of dry fitting. I will say this, you'd have to really work at it to get the Tamiya kit to do what the AMK kit has done for that builder. It would be real helpful if someone could translate the text in the pics.  Google Translate can do the the text in the posts but not the text that is part of a graphic image.

I mean i just looked at that link. Looks like hes doing it on purpose. I can take the best kit out there and butcher it too. After seeing the facebook group builds this seems like a  code 18 i.e the problem is 18 inches away from the model

2 minutes ago, Neo said:

I mean i just looked at that link. Looks like hes doing it on purpose. I can take the best kit out there and butcher it too. After seeing the facebook group builds this seems like a  code 18 i.e the problem is 18 inches away from the model

Problem between chair and model? ID 10 T error?

12 minutes ago, Neo said:

Looks like hes doing it on purpose. 

It doesn’t make much sense to go to all the effort to photographically document your crappy modeling skills then post them on a modeling website where you try to blame the model kit for fit issues.   (and by you/your I mean he/him)

Unless said modeler has an agenda....

46 minutes ago, Neo said:

Looks like hes doing it on purpose. I can take the best kit out there and butcher it too. After seeing the facebook group builds this seems like a  code 18 i.e the problem is 18 inches away from the model

agreed. I have no love for AMK after this whole fiasco, but I don't think it is fair to lie to us. 

I am still excited to see a build review that is not biased.

11 hours ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

Not Slovak but Czech. 😉