12 hours ago, andrew.deboer said:

I build the best kit of a given subject that’s available. [My] life is too short for 40-year-old tooling and molds. 

So you don’t put the parts together without glue first just to check the fit? I’ve put together many kits where the parts fit perfectly when dry fit and I went on to apply glue right then. But, if I put the parts together and they don’t mate like I think they should, I true up the mating surfaces with a sanding stick or a blade so they fit right prior to the glue. I hate filling and sanding, so if I can make the seam as good as possible before glue, that’s the way I prefer to go.

So really, it’s not BS (thanks for your opinion)..

I’ve put together many kits where the parts fit perfectly when dry fit and I went on to apply glue right then. But, if I put the parts together and they don’t mate like I think they should - this had happened to me on several occasions.

14 hours ago, Mstor said:

Wow, that is disconcerting. I'd have to agree with most posts that it doesn't look like the builder did much in the way of dry fitting. I will say this, you'd have to really work at it to get the Tamiya kit to do what the AMK kit has done for that builder. It would be real helpful if someone could translate the text in the pics.  Google Translate can do the the text in the posts but not the text that is part of a graphic image.

He is for the Guiness Book. He couldn't have made it any worse!

18 hours ago, andrew.deboer said:

Having seen many AMK F-14s assembled at this point, I think it’s clear that that modeler is not a dry-fitter. You can’t just cut the parts from the sprues and smash them together, no matter which kit you’re working on. He had gaps where I haven’t seen them on any other build, both from not addressing the mating surfaces of the parts and from placing the parts wrong.

You are absolutely correct. I don't have a dog in this fight and even I can see places where it doesn't even look like some parts were sanded, and other parts look to be over-sanded. the photo of the misalignment between the forward fuselage and rear fuselage was consistent and my first thought was "why didn't he just push down on the assembly?" The ejector pin marks are inexcusable but the poor assembly is just...poor assembly.

38 minutes ago, jgrease said:

You are absolutely correct. I don't have a dog in this fight and even I can see places where it doesn't even look like some parts were sanded, and other parts look to be over-sanded. the photo of the misalignment between the forward fuselage and rear fuselage was consistent and my first thought was "why didn't he just push down on the assembly?" The ejector pin marks are inexcusable but the poor assembly is just...poor assembly.

You're talking about these assemby?

1574235756_16_2.JPG

These particular fit/gap is present on all builds I saw, Zacto pointed this aera earlier too.

In fact, in this case, builder have to pick his poison:

- reduce the angle between the top fuselage plan and the tail part, in this case, major putty + sanding  work is  localized at the underside.

- choose a middle position, and work to do on both topside and underside.

Most builds I saw, builder just skip this sequence (eventual putty+ sanding sessions) and skip the underside or close-up photos on the finished model.

Edited by shion
10 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

Once I get mine I'll give a fair, honest review of it. 

Darn right you will, Mr Tomcat Guy! I'll be holding off on mine, waiting to see it done properly!

Thanks Darren!

Same thing with the intake parts.

He explained that he wrestled with them a lot, with clamps and other tools.

Despite these mesures, he's still got problems.

And it's exactly the same area, same problems you can find on other builds, they simply don't conform with the fuselage underside.

I also don't have a dog in this fight but I am not 100% convinced its entirely user error on the builders part. I mean his/her wheel well and cockpit painting looks quite nice to me. So some effort has gone into making those areas look presentable. Why do all that just to intentionally botch the rest of the build? I suppose if they had a large beef with AMK then sure. But boy that's  pretty extreme  to buy a not cheap kit only to intentionally butcher it out of malice or spite. Who knows? I just don't think every issue in that build is builder error. He does point out some nasty areas on the kit that shouldn't be there on a new and modern kit that others have already mentioned, like those ejector pin marks, as well as fit issues already documented by other builders. I wish I could read the modelers language though as it looks like an interesting article.

Happy modeling all!

11 minutes ago, Petarvu said:

After couple of years in this discussion I finnaly decided not to buy it.

Whoo-hoo...!!! :yahoo:My work in this thread is done!

I mean, if Matt from Doog's Models (shut up, compressor!) can advise on which kit not to buy, why can't anyone else? AMK never took advise from modellers with regard to the odd-looking rear, IFR panel and whatnot, why would I buy it that way? I'd rather buy a dozen Tamiya kits split into As and Ds instead...  

On 11/22/2019 at 7:22 PM, masanissa said:

Being average is not something to excel at. Some of us strive to be an Excellent Joe. :thumbsup:

Would you want your Neurosurgeon to just be average? How about the movie you spend over $20 on when you go to the movie theater?

Having a model scrutinized in no way shape or form hurts the plastic modeling business. In fact there are some manufacturers that take constructive criticism to heart and improve their products: improved accuracy, better cockpit detailing, included aftermarket and masks in the box.

Over the years the Monogram, Hasegawa, and HB F-14's have been scrutinized. AMK saw an opportunity, but failed to live up to it's promise after half a decade of trying. In the meantime Tamiya seize the opportunity and now Great Wall sees an opening to corner part of the 1/48 F-14 market. The envelope is pushed because of nerdz.

The average Joe benefits from the "nerds".

That's a solid point.  I don't have the energy/interest in getting involved in kit QA stuff..i just want to buy a nice kit that goes together reasonably simply and looks like the real thing. I have more options and the opportunity to enjoy this hobby because of People who measure, compare and pressure manufacturers to raise standards.  

Okay, something for a change on this thread:

Is there a way how to disable Jester suddenly going AWOL in a furball every time the DCS Heatblur Tomcat is manoeuvering close to the ground? It's an awful glitch that turns the airplane into a flying Cabriolet! So annoying...

Example 1

Example 2

I was just told there's one more video on YouTube regarding this issue posted by Growling Sidewinder.

3 hours ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

Is there a way how to disable Jester suddenly going AWOL in a furball every time the DCS Heatblur Tomcat is manoeuvering close to the ground? It's an awful glitch that turns the airplane into a flying Cabriolet! So annoying...

Example 1

Example 2

I was just told there's one more video on YouTube regarding this issue posted by Growling Sidewinder.

This is the wrong forum for this. May I direct you to the Eagle Dynamics/Heatblur Sims one?

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=395

Mark

On 11/30/2019 at 8:58 PM, Hubbie Marsten said:

Example 1

Example 2

Ha ha ha, I got confused there for a while. I had to check which forum I was scanning. 
I don´t think you can blame Jester on AMK! 😄

WoW!

Sprue had 300 yesterday morning.

As of this morning he has 169!

He sold 131 Tomcats in the last 24 hours!

Looks like the kit is selling fast. At this rate the kit will be OOS by the end of the week.

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

And I, and probably the rest of the indiegullible folks, have yet to get ours.After this debacle, I wonder how many will be pre-ordering the F-104 they say they're developing? I can say for sure,NOT THIS GUY. Kinetic AND Hasegawa are real, and I can touch them. What minimal faith I had, is as gone. Better chance of me kissing my ex, than ever trusting that process ever again.