On 12/7/2019 at 6:11 AM, masanissa said:

In terms of accuracy I would rank the AMK kit just above the Academy F-14. If you don't care much about shape issues and want a 1/48 Tomcat that you can pose with dirty wings and a full weapons load for a moderate price then get the AMK kit.

Ok, I might not be the most anal guy regarding shapes that you can find in here, but when I was shopping for my first 1/48 tomcat I took one look at the Academy and said "no way". That nose looks weird even to me. So I bought the then brand new Hobbyboss kit. Instead I had to fix those intakes that are not properly angled. I haven´t seen anybody mentioning the intakes of the AMK kit in this thread, so I take it that they are at least ok shapewise. I prefer to display my aircraft with the nose toward the viewer, slightly angled, so I think I will be able to live with the inaccuracies of the rear end. If not, well, there is always Tamiya.

I've listed four AMK F-14's on Ebay and have sold them all within hours of listing. Just ordered four more, along with a couple more of the ordnance sets. You know what that tells me? For all of the criticism this kit has received from a handful of members here, most modelers simply don't care. Considering Spruebrothers pretty much blew through about 300 of the kits in a couple of days really proves the negative comments in this thread have had a very miniscule impact on other modelers decisions on whether or not to purchase the kit.

On 12/6/2019 at 11:11 PM, masanissa said:

In terms of accuracy I would rank the AMK kit just above the Academy F-14. If you don't care much about shape issues and want a 1/48 Tomcat that you can pose with dirty wings and a full weapons load for a moderate price then get the AMK kit.

I'd say it's further up the chain then "just above" the Academy kit. The AMK kit, with it's accuracy issues, is far better than the Academy kit. As much as I love the Monogram kit, I'd say the AMK kit is above that as well. Overall, including accuracy, ease of construction, ordnance, and detail, AMK, Hobbyboss, and Hasegawa are all battling for the 2-4 spots. Where they land depends on what you are looking for in a build. If you want ease of construction, Hobbyboss is probably #2. I'm just getting started on my AMK kit, but so far it's been a pretty easy build, so it might take over the #2 spot. We shall see.

6 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

I've listed four AMK F-14's on Ebay and have sold them all within hours of listing. Just ordered four more, along with a couple more of the ordnance sets. You know what that tells me? For all of the criticism this kit has received from a handful of members here, most modelers simply don't care. Considering Spruebrothers pretty much blew through about 300 of the kits in a couple of days really proves the negative comments in this thread have had a very miniscule impact on other modelers decisions on whether or not to purchase the kit.

For the win!

8 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

That tells me some of us should really get more relaxed towards red lines and things, shall we? Let others discuss if one doesn't care.

Edited by delide
16 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Looks like an F-14 Tomcat to me.

If "Looks like an F-14" was the only requirement, then we'd all be satisfied with the Monogram and Revell kits. But, we have never been "satisfied" with the status quo and the kit manufacturers have known this for a long time. Each company has striven to make their kits more accurate and more detailed. This is one of the things that has fueled competition within the industry and hence, we have new F-14 kits being released. Each company trying to outdo the other in detail and accuracy. Sure, the AMK kit looks like an F-14. I've seen kids toys that "look like an F-14". That's not the point and some of us here on this forum want the kit to be as accurate a representation of the F-14 as possible. Heck, why do we buy aftermarket parts or scratch build other parts. It is to improve accuracy and detail. So, to that end we analyze kits' accuracy because some of us want to most accurate kit (or at least would like to know which is most accurate).

I will admit that the AMK is a special case. AMK stated that it would be the most accurate and most detailed F-14 model every made. Big words and we have called them to task on them. In my mind, they have fallen woefully short of the mark. We know the major problems with the kit due to the careful analysis of some very knowledgeable persons here (that does NOT include me). I think that now we are into more of an intellectual exercise to determine exactly where AMK went wrong in the design of their kit. If you are not interested, that's fine. Some of us are interested. Zactoman has hinted that there may be some fixes that may correct some of the AMK kits errors. That may be of interest to anyone who bought the kit but is dissatisfied with the what they bought. So, as others have pointed out, if you are tired of listening to the analysis of this kit, then don't read this thread. Please let those that want to do so in a a civilized manner.  

Oh, and one more thing...

300 here we come!

1 hour ago, jgrease said:

Not to the red line brigade. I feel the same way - it's my hobby and not a lifestyle.

You dont need red lines to see the problems with this kit.

Thats the problem.

If it needed red lines to point them out it would be fine.

20 hours ago, IAGeezer said:

For the win!

ahhh....but that's the thing. This isn't a winner and loser kind of discussion. I think that's where the problem starts and arguments begin. People that don't worry about as much accuracy as others are going to be happy with the kit and hopefully AMK will make a nice profit and everyone is happy. For those that do worry about extreme accuracy, there are threads like this one that point out areas of concern and people like Zacto will likely come up with some different approaches on how to fix the "problems". Then people that want to choose to buy the kit and "fix" it will be happy and those that don't want to tackle that will be more informed about their choice to buy or not. So basically, it's a win for most everyone. Sure, there are those that are never happy, and those that have a gripe against the company (some legitimate and some not) but overall for the most part, I think this thread is helping more people than you guys realize. But as long as this "our side is right and your side is wrong" keeps going, it's just going to get more and more heated. 

Bill

In one of the few builds of the kit I follow, the builder finally succeed in the jonctions fuselage parts-intakes-cockpit: https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=129855&p=2270379&hilit=amk#p2270379

- the upper aft fuselage is wider than the bottom aft fuselage = a visible step to correct.

- the inflatable bags don't fit

- intakes don't fit with the bottom fuselage

- front section doesn't fit with the fuselage.

- aft section-engines section have all kind of fit issues.

file.php?id=1545806

file.php?id=1545805

file.php?id=1545804

file.php?id=1545807

file.php?id=1545808

file.php?id=1545410

file.php?id=1545412

file.php?id=1545413

3 hours ago, Mstor said:

Zactoman has hinted that there may be some fixes that may correct some of the AMK kits errors.

Chris is one fella that deserves respect - that's for sure. The fat hinds issue is what puts me off the most with regard to the purchasing of the AMK kit, so if Mr Wilson is able to come up with a fix for that, I'll personally build a monument in his honour.

1 hour ago, shion said:

file.php?id=1545806

file.php?id=1545804

file.php?id=1545807

file.php?id=1545808

Oh-la-la... :yahoo:Those wings are as sweet as my wife's rump!

23 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Looks like an F-14 Tomcat to me.

AMK didn't plan on making a "looks like a Tomcat to me" 1/48 F-14D.

"Looks like a ______ (fill in blank)" suggest a failure, a falling short, an endeavor that almost reached it's goal. You have to make a compromise and accept something that's almost what you want.

AMK set out to make the most accurate, the best and most detailed F-14D ever seen in plastic. They didn't do that. They fell short of their stated goal. I hope they figure out what worked and didn't work out for them. Yes they are selling kits. Monogram still sells their ancient 1/48 P-51D.

We know Amundsen was the first to the South Pole.

At_the_South_Pole%2C_December_1911.jpg

We remember Scott because of the epic failure.

Three figures are depicted in coloured glass, standing by a cairn of snow topped by a large cross. The scene is framed by a decorative arch.

35 minutes ago, sideshow said:

I just got my kits from Kitlinx, but there were no ordinance sets. I guess I thought they would be included with all pre-orders. Anyone else find this to be the case?

Thanks!

The free ordinance sets were given out to those who pre-orderd the kit almost three years ago.

They are very nice and you'll have a box full of extras for other kits. Also the AMK F-14D comes with a lot of weapons and pods included.

On 12/8/2019 at 4:35 AM, Dave Roof said:

The kit is selling well but how many will get built because of fit issues?

So yes, the kit is popular. People buy Justin Bieber and Adele albums. :doh: They both sell out huge stadiums. Everyone has different tastes.

Now I'd buy a ticket to see Adele, if she performed in Adelaide Australia with Adélie penguins, and a pack of howling dogs as her backup vocalists. :whistle:

tenor.gif?itemid=15746541&f=1&nofb=1

On 12/8/2019 at 6:35 AM, Dave Roof said:

Considering Spruebrothers pretty much blew through about 300 of the kits in a couple of days really proves the negative comments in this thread have had a very miniscule impact on other modelers decisions on whether or not to purchase the kit.

Alternatively, it may be that sales have been so good in part because of this thread. If anything, this thread has certainly kept the AMK kit on the radar and in the conversation of many people who might have even forgot it was going to come out eventually or would not have considered buying it anyway. But some people buy kits just to see what all the hubbub is all about. I'm not suggesting that's the only reason sales are doing so well, I'm sure it would have done well regardless because it's a new kit of a popular subject. But I would suggest that this thread might have helped.

1 hour ago, niart17 said:

Alternatively, it may be that sales have been so good in part because of this thread. If anything, this thread has certainly kept the AMK kit on the radar and in the conversation of many people who might have even forgot it was going to come out eventually or would not have considered buying it anyway. But some people buy kits just to see what all the hubbub is all about. I'm not suggesting that's the only reason sales are doing so well, I'm sure it would have done well regardless because it's a new kit of a popular subject. But I would suggest that this thread might have helped.

I think you're giving this thread, and ARC in general, too much credit. I know of several dozen modelers on Facebook that don't frequent any of the modeling forums (LSP/HS/ARC, etc.) and I personally know of several that have never even heard of ARC, much less care to join. I worked at the local Hobbytown and the majority of the modeling customers didn't visit any of the on-line forums. Hell, one of my best friends here is one of the most well known modelers in the Atlanta area and he doesn't visit any of the forums or FB. 

This thread has only kept the kit on the radar for the members of this forum. The kit is popular because of the length of time it's taken to be released and the constant discussions about it on dozens of platforms. The scale modeling world does not revolve around this site.