23 hours ago, Martin @ AMK Models said:

Hi Dave,

I lost your address by the way, if you could PM me that would be great as I owe you a Christmas card.

We would be most grateful if you could check our drawings and cads for the next sets. Would you be happy to do that for us?

23 hours ago, GW8345 said:

Are you addressing me or Dave Roof?

23 minutes ago, Martin @ AMK Models said:

You 🙂

Martin,

Can you clarify this please? In your first post, you addressed me by name. 

Dave

Why are there more Tomcat's at the bottom of the ocean than Hornet's/Super Hornet's......................

Because plastic floats.

Just doing my part to bump this thread closer to 300 pages.

8 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

Why are there more Tomcat's at the bottom of the ocean than Hornet's/Super Hornet's......................

Because plastic floats.

Just doing my part to bump this thread closer to 300 pages.

🤣

26 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

Martin,

Can you clarify this please? In your first post, you addressed me by name. 

Dave

Sorry Dave, was addressing Gerry. Sausage fingers my end lol. Dave = Gerry. Or so it does in my brain haha. Sorry mate.

He and I have been sending cards to each other for a while.

Not to say I wouldn't be very happy to send you one too.... just PM me your address brother 🙂

8 hours ago, Ventris said:

Even in packing their kits AMK gets beaten by everyone else.

That sounds like horrible quality control . Iam not surprised though.

It's not a packing problem.

These canopy and windshield parts are maybe the most protected parts in the kit.

See:

IMG_4272.jpg

And cracks caused by hit/impact don't look this way.

All the defects, visible on the photos or described by the original author, are defects typically induced by bad plastic injection settings and/or mold design.

1 hour ago, shion said:

IMG_4272.jpg

Incidentally that is the very same photo that piqued my interest and turned me on AMK as a kit manufacturer.
I was astounded by the new technology of plastic injection displayed in the photo and decided that it would be worth a try.
As I have no interest in the F-14, I ordered AMK 1/48th Fouga Magister which turned out to be a fantastic kit and the most pleasurable build I had in years. 

Of note is the quality of the crystal-clear parts, thin, sparkling and without any distortion. Is it the molding technique or the composition of the plastic? I don’t know but the result is striking.

It’s only me, of course. YMMV 😜

Cheers,

Quang

Edited by quang
grammar
13 hours ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

My sweet wife is, habu. She just translated "Prepadliny na čelnom štítku nedostrieknuté rámovanie čelného štítku, kaz (prasklina) na hlavnom prekryte" in the first picture for me.

Says the windshield has not only cracks, but it also lacks the frame. And also that the canopy has an awful crack.

What was that again, hun...?

Oh, she will no longer translate for me any more. :crying:

Greetings to your wife. She translated the text exactly.

1 hour ago, quang said:

Incidentally that is the very same photo that piqued my interest and turned me on AMK as a kit manufacturer.
I was astounded by the new technology of plastic injection displayed in the photo and decided that it would be worth a try.
As I have no interest in the F-14, I ordered AMK 1/48th Fouga Magister which turned out to be a fantastic kit and the most pleasurable build I had in years. 

Of note is the quality of the crystal-clear parts, thin, sparkling and without any distortion. Is it the molding technique or the composition of the plastic? I don’t know but the result is striking.

It’s only me, of course. YMMV 😜

Cheers,

Quang

In the very same review, the reviewer points a slight lens distorsion on the same parts.

IMG_4273.jpg

But as you see, it's not the only and the worst problem on these parts.

Edited by shion

Indeed, we can always find something wrong when we look long enough.
But let’s put things in perspective. We’re not dealing here with a scientific precision instrument. We’re dealing here with a toy, no matter how elaborate it could be.

Of this hobby only 30% comes from the plastic. The remaining 70% comes from the time and skill the modeler puts into it. That is why this occupation is called a hobby.

The above 280+ pages only deal with the plastic. What about the remaining 70%?

Only my 2 cents,

Quang

1 hour ago, quang said:

Indeed, we can always find something wrong when we look long enough.
But let’s put things in perspective. We’re not dealing here with a scientific precision instrument. We’re dealing here with a toy, no matter how elaborate it could be.

Of this hobby only 30% comes from the plastic. The remaining 70% comes from the time and skill the modeler puts into it. That is why this occupation is called a hobby.

The above 280+ pages only deal with the plastic. What about the remaining 70%?

Only my 2 cents,

Quang

Errr, when the issues in shape or mould quality can not be denied, then comes the excuse that we are dealing with "toys" and "30%", what happed to the "turned me on AMK as a kit manufacturer" and "astounded by the new technology of plastic injection" earlier, LOL, "let’s put things in perspective", what was the fuss?

To be fair, I find AMK's packaging second to none, but the content... regarding the mold/injection quality I think AMK can do better and has done better. 20% spare parts to distributor sounds good, probably more than other manufacturers, but then again, one may not need that much with better quality.

Truth is there's absolutely nothing new in the technology used by AMK, others model kits manufacters used it since decades.

Problem is to show off "new" technologies you used, but to master none, not even the old and very basic ones.

Single part front fuselage or multi-part canopy are worthless if you must take hours to correct NC parts or worse wait for a remplacement.

17 minutes ago, delide said:

Errr, when the issues in shape or mould quality can not be denied, then comes the excuse that we are dealing with "toys" and "30%", what happed to the "turned me on AMK as a kit manufacturer" and "astounded by the new technology of plastic injection" earlier, LOL, "let’s put things in perspective", what was the fuss?

Yes, it's funny, it looks like a product rep talking points.

17 minutes ago, delide said:

To be fair, I find AMK's packaging second to none, but the content... regarding the mold/injection quality I think AMK can do better and has done better. 20% spare parts to distributor sounds good, probably more than other manufacturers, but then again, one may not need that much with better quality.

20% spare parts to distributor is heresy.

49 minutes ago, shion said:

Yes, it's funny, it looks like a product rep talking points.

20% spare parts to distributor is heresy.

Just to be fair, I will talk like that too, but only when I'm truly amazed by the kit/the kit is indeed the best. In my view there just can be SO much to learn, to discover, to admire... in that supposed "30%" and the so called "toys".

I can not judge, but if I was a distributor, I might not be liking it, I mean who's is going to pay for the postage and work to send many spare parts? I'd guess that modellers would need way less than 20% replacement parts, if the reason's their own wrong doing.  Particularly with packaging as NICE as AMK's, I'm surprised by the 20%.  Anyway, the best packaging would be wasted, if the quality control can't keep up. A pity, especially when the perfectly molded replacement parts are normally just sent in envelopes with insufficent protection.

Edited by delide
48 minutes ago, delide said:

Just to be fair, I will talk like that too, but only when I'm truly amazed by the kit/the kit is indeed the best. In my view there just can be SO much to learn, to discover, to admire... in that supposed "30%" and the so called "toys".

I can not judge, but if I was a distributor, I might not be liking it, I mean who's is going to pay for the postage and work to send many spare parts? I'd guess that modellers would need way less than 20% replacement parts, if the reason's their own wrong doing.  Particularly with packaging as NICE as AMK's, I'm surprised by the 20%.  Anyway, the best packaging would be wasted, if the quality control can't keep up. A pity, especially when the perfectly molded replacement parts are normally just sent in envelopes with insufficent protection.

The main cost is the storage.

1 hour ago, shion said:

The main cost is the storage.

Well I have no idea... But I did forget that it's 20% of each order, which should include compensation for additional costs. But anyway, I still think that better quality control would be better than more spares, for modeller/buyer and maybe for the manufacturer too. 20% certainly sounds a lot to me.

Edited by delide
4 hours ago, delide said:

That is your opinion. Just permit me to have mine.

Thanks.

Quang

4 hours ago, shion said:

Truth is there's absolutely nothing new in the technology used by AMK, others model kits manufacters used it since decades.

Problem is to show off "new" technologies you used, but to master none, not even the old and very basic ones.

Single part front fuselage or multi-part canopy are worthless if you must take hours to correct NC parts or worse wait for a remplacement.

Thanks.

Quang

1 hour ago, quang said:

Thanks.

Quang

Not a opinion, facts.

Tamiya used slide-mold tech to inject parts of their 1/12 motorcycle kits since decades: fact.

Hasegawa used slide-mold tech to inject parts of their 1/72 and 1/48 kits since decades: fact.

An example? Every time you see a parting line in the middle of a aviation kit canopy, it means use of slide-mold.

Now go and find a 1/72 Hasegawa F-14 kit or  it 1/48 sister and look at their release/injection date. 

Edited by shion
16 minutes ago, shion said:

Not a opinion, facts.

Tamiya used slide-mold tech to inject parts of their 1/12 motorcycle kits since decades: fact.

Hasegawa used slide-mold tech to inject parts of their 1/72 and 1/48 kits since decades: fact.

An example? Every time you see a parting line in the middle of a aviation kit canopy, it means use of slide-mold.

Now go and find a 1/72 Hasegawa F-14 kit or  it 1/48 sister and look at their release/injection date. 

So what? Electric car was from 19th century. We have Teslas now. AMK is the pioneer when it comes to slide mold, FACT. When hesagawa is selling weapons on the side and including almost no weapons in their kits, AMK started to sell Mig-31 with single piece full load R-33s in their kit.

You guys keep bashing. time to time, I will stop by and keep defending 😄 lol.