This has now become version two of the "Tomcat Sunset" thread...actually only close to that one because that one was almost legendary for those of us who were here...but still, this has become much more spicy now.

Related image

Carry on gents...

:popcorn:

8 hours ago, 11bee said:

I just discovered this thread, it's truly an amazing piece of work.

Good God man, where have you been? Join the fun and frivolity! Yes indeed, were one big bunch of happy go lucky guys here, just having a good old time. Don't mind the hand grenades and land mines, just part of the fun. We're all one big happy family here, so take a side and get out your rifle (head shots are not allowed, neither are knifes in the back). Be on the look out for the extra special bonus posts where useful content might be displayed. Don't be fooled by those, oh no, just ignore those. Just us wild guys here practicing anger management techniques. :fight:

7 hours ago, madmanrick said:

The Navy didn't decide that it's next fighter aircraft have the features you mentioned, McNamara in his infinite wisdom pushed the Air Force and Navy to share a common airframe, in order to save on development costs and that Air Force TFX proposal was where those design elements derived from. This led to the F-111B an airframe that was forced upon the Navy by DefSec. The other mistake made was designating the USAF as the project manager, thereby ensuring that while the F-111 may fulfill their needs (and this is endlessly debatable), almost nothing about the 111 would fulfill the Navy's. Something you forgot to mention is that the AF/Navy had learned its' lesson regarding a lack of onboard guns and this was yet another feature lacking in the B.

The crew capsule was part of the 111's weight problem, it added unnecessary weight and complexity and the USAF also chose to ditch (no pun intended) the crew capsule concept with the B-1. The side by side seating was something the Navy had done away with in designing fighter/attack aircraft in the '50's. Lastly, the swing wings were a very popular design choice in the '60's. With the possible exception of the Su-24 and Tornado (both of which began design work in the '60's), they really haven't been used since, again weight and complexity being the death kneel (and before you jump and say B-1, the B-1 was initially designed in the '60's to replace the failed B-70 and wasn't actually put into production until the 80's).

TBH and you are going to HATE this, the F-111 was an aircraft the USAF didn't want and didn't really need. They had to search for a mission for the airframe and as you yourself admitted, it wasn't until the F model, that the airframe even began to realize its' potential. TAC had cheaper, more versatile options available for flying bomb trucks and SAC surely could have used an airframe with the range to actually reach the targets it was intended to strike, without having to rely on a string of aerial refuelings. While the 111  may be sexy(?), it was not really an effective combat aircraft, when you evaluate cost vs. capability. It is no wonder that the 111 was retired 10 years before the Tomcat.

I would say we certainly have both read the same books on the subject. 

Neither of them wanted it, it didnt fulfil either requirement. Considering that its amazing that the F-14 only lasted 10 years longer than the F-111 which was about 5 years older than it.

Swing wings were very much the thing at the time, which is why so many jets of the time ended up with them including the F-14.Both services put so many kinks into the F-111 its only because of McNamara it entered service.

Considering that neither wanted it the F-111 had an excuse for being bad. The same cant be said for the F-14, the nevy developed it all the way!

6 hours ago, Don said:

This has now become version two of the "Tomcat Sunset" thread...actually only close to that one because that one was almost legendary for those of us who were here...but still, this has become much more spicy now.

Carry on gents...

:popcorn:

Animated gif is a very modern thing.
It seems to be a mask for people not really being able to articulate the ideas they want to convey in words.

Its like, yeah I cant really think of the words so Im just going to put this instead... A last desperate gasp of somebody wanting to contribute but just cant really think of the words.

Edited by ElectroSoldier

“A picture is worth a thousand words”

An animated picture is worth a thousand animated words. 

What do you call it when, rather than articulating the idea you have the words for, you know an animated GIF would be more effective?

Example: the use of “redlines” on photos in this thread. 

another example: ( just for 11bee)  The aforementioned Kamasutra would not be nearly as informative / entertaining / famous if it were all articulated words without any pictures.  Imagine an animated version of the Kamasutra......  😎

obligatory animated GIF:   :monkeydance:      (I can think of the words but this is soooo much more appropriate)

Edited by habu2
1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:

It seems to be a mask for people not really being able to articulate the ideas they want to convey in words.

Its like, yeah I cant really think of the words so Im just going to put this instead... A last desperate gasp of somebody wanting to contribute but just cant really think of the words.

Honestly dude life is way too short to take things like this thread seriously. Lighten up...open a window...have a drink...flow with it...

Image result for lighten up gif

1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Is it really modern when it is over three decades old???

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/brief-history-gif-early-internet-innovation-ubiquitous-relic-180963543/

Well I guess it IS more modern than the F-14......

https://sofrep.com/fightersweep/today-aviation-history-1970-first-flight-grumman-f-14-tomcat/

obligatory (non-animated, sorry) GIF      :smiley-transport006:

On 12/25/2019 at 7:09 AM, foxmulder_ms said:

You have a personal vendetta against AMK. I  used give value to your opinion but when it comes to this. zero. 

No, I don't have a vendetta against AMK. In fact I've tried to keep my comments as much about the model as possible and not about AMK.

If I had a vendetta there have been many instances where they were being trashed upon that I could have easily piled on. 💩
Thank you to those that stepped up in my defense during my absence. :worship:
If anything, I have a vendetta against those in denial when problems are pointed out with kits (be they CADs, test shots, pre-production or released kits) and those that try to shut down the conversation when problems are being discussed.
I try not to attack the people but rather to prove that the problems exist. If I can clearly see a problem and I'm told it's just an illusion, I consider that a challenge. :coolio:
I'm more interested in illustrating to those that are interested but have trouble clearly seeing or understanding the problems, and when possible suggesting or showing how to fix the problems.

:cheers:

1 hour ago, Zactoman said:

No, I don't have a vendetta against AMK. In fact I've tried to keep my comments as much about the model as possible and not about AMK.

If I had a vendetta there have been many instances where they were being trashed upon that I could have easily piled on. 💩
Thank you to those that stepped up in my defense during my absence. :worship:
If anything, I have a vendetta against those in denial when problems are pointed out with kits (be they CADs, test shots, pre-production or released kits) and those that try to shut down the conversation when problems are being discussed.
I try not to attack the people but rather to prove that the problems exist. If I can clearly see a problem and I'm told it's just an illusion, I consider that a challenge. :coolio:
I'm more interested in illustrating to those that are interested but have trouble clearly seeing or understanding the problems, and when possible suggesting or showing how to fix the problems.

Is it not in your best interest to create flaws to enable you to sell aftermarket revisions?

Glt

11 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Good God man, where have you been? Join the fun and frivolity! Yes indeed, were one big bunch of happy go lucky guys here, just having a good old time. Don't mind the hand grenades and land mines, just part of the fun. We're all one big happy family here, so take a side and get out your rifle (head shots are not allowed, neither are knifes in the back). Be on the look out for the extra special bonus posts where useful content might be displayed. Don't be fooled by those, oh no, just ignore those. Just us wild guys here practicing anger management techniques. :fight:

I suddenly feel the need to go find a picture, any picture, and start adding red lines.   

12 minutes ago, ChesshireCat said:

Is it not in your best interest to create flaws to enable you to sell aftermarket revisions?

Glt

I'm a modeller first (though I never have time to build anymore :bandhead2:) and prefer accurate kits, without errors requiring lots of extra work.
If an error is something I don't feel is worthy of aftermarket, I'm happy to share how I'd fix it (time permitting).
As an aftermarket guy there are lots of correction parts I can still make, the list is long, but I'd prefer to be making detail parts and conversions.

3 hours ago, Don said:

Honestly dude life is way too short to take things like this thread seriously. Lighten up...open a window...have a drink...flow with it...

Image result for lighten up gif

I know there is an animated gif in there, I just cant see it!

It reminds me of the lyrics of a song. The title of which is rather apt...

"Welcome to a new kind of tension, all across the alien nation"

Does your gif add to the tension or try to take it away Donny?

2 hours ago, habu2 said:

Is it really modern when it is over three decades old???

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/brief-history-gif-early-internet-innovation-ubiquitous-relic-180963543/

Well I guess it IS more modern than the F-14......

https://sofrep.com/fightersweep/today-aviation-history-1970-first-flight-grumman-f-14-tomcat/

obligatory (non-animated, sorry) GIF      :smiley-transport006:

The lack of articulation is relatively new compared to the age of the technology it uses.

Did you google search of the animated gif also show you when "we" started getting movie gifs?

Well, based on the number of AMK F-14's that are actually being built on a number of Facebook modelings groups, I would venture to guess that a lot of modelers just don't care about its inaccuracies. Several haven't had the fit issues that some have had as well. 

Despite the negative comments/critiques it has received here, it has also been selling extremely well based on comments from a number of retailers throughout the world. Hell, Spruebrothers moved over 300 kits in a week!

I'm looking forward to starting mine this week!

35 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

I know there is an animated gif in there, I just cant see it!

It reminds me of the lyrics of a song. The title of which is rather apt...

"Welcome to a new kind of tension, all across the alien nation"

Does your gif add to the tension or try to take it away Donny?

Its a good one actually. Shame you can't see it. Tension? Where? You? You should really get that looked at. Bad for your health. Try this...

Related image

Oh forgot... you can't see it. Oh well it was a good one.

:dontknow:

One more post on the march to 300. Thanks for helping out:thumbsup2:

^^^Seriously, sorry to hear that. They were kind of funny...well humorous... o.k. chuckle worthy perhaps.  Just trying to spread a little light heartedness in a thread that gets some peoples hackles up. Like I wrote earlier, life's too short. I'd add a beer cheers gif here but...LOL!

Cheers :beer4:<------happy faces cheering animated gif.

1 hour ago, ChesshireCat said:

Glt

Whoa there buddy! You are way off the mark on this one. I've conversed with Mr. Wilson aka Zactoman a few times and, based on what he has told me, the last thing he needs to do is create more work for himself by "creating flaws". He works very hard to keep up with his current work load, and as far as new product, I am sure he has had numerous project he wants to do long before the AMK kit made it appearance.

Personally, I don't think the rear end of the AMK kit would be a easy fix anyway, and would end up more expensive than most modelers would be willing to spend.  I'm not going to argue with you about the flaws in the AMK kit as it appears you have your mind made up already. If you choose to deny their existence, that's your problem. Just leave Zactoman out of it. As far as I'm concerned his integrity is beyond reproach.

25 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

The amount of times you post blank posts is astounding. To me it just makes you look illiterate because you post nothing.

I can see the gifs he's posting just fine. If you can't see them then the problem is on your side. Oh and you realize you posted three copies of Don's post? Guess that's Ok though. Helps get us to 300 faster.