27 minutes ago, Andrea Bolla said:

What do you mean? Do you think is the inner part (U2) that cause the gap? That part is absolutely unnecessary, it may have been designed to help to align the nose cone but it fits perfectly without it.

U2 part is not only absolutely useless, I suspect it disturbs the fit between nose section and radar cover (in the longitidunal axis),

and maybe worse, it widens the one-part nose section (reason why the author had to use pliers to pull it out).

45 minutes ago, shion said:

U2 part is not only absolutely useless, I suspect it disturbs the fit between nose section and radar cover (in the longitidunal axis),

and maybe worse, it widens the one-part nose section (reason why the author had to use pliers to pull it out).

Considering the conical shape of the nose and that part U2 attach to the front of the cockpit tub I suspect that it should be mounted before sliding the tub assembly into the fuselage.

Beside that, if I was the video's author I would not have wasted the 3 minutes shown and would have sent that part directly to the scrap box.

33 minutes ago, zerosystem said:

Nope, not an issue

Did you at least read the question asked?

For reference:

5 hours ago, Whiskey said:

I'm no Tomcat expert by any means as I defer to others much more knowledgeable for that but do keep plenty of reference resources. And I don't have the kit in hand to examine it myself.

My question is, and I posted this a while back but don't think I read an answer to it, what is the deal with the large panel (?) or seam (?) line that wraps around the radome? I don't believe I've ever seen such a pronounced line on the real thing or any other model kit either. In my eyes it just looks way more exaggerated than it actually is and takes away from the overall look of the kit. The few builds I've glanced at I can't seem to veer away from that line on the radome.

So he asked where the seam comes from,

I answer.

If you've got problem about it , what''s the point to keep following this thread?

4 hours ago, andrew.deboer said:

Are you talking about the seam between the radome and the rest of the fuselage?

I am referring to the large line that runs along the longitude axis that is denoting the radome and fuselage. in this picture it's right under the tape holding the nose cone on. It just looks massively over-proportioned to me. Maybe I'm wrong but that's why I am asking.

foto-34-1068x652.jpg

Edited by Whiskey
22 hours ago, DIO said:

Once again you do not understand what I wrote, once again missing the point. Sorry cannot help you.

Well I guess I need a Master's Degree to understand your level of sarcasm then.

21 hours ago, madmanrick said:

You Squids sure talk funny! 🤣🤣

Sorry, can't write in Crayon for you Air Force types and us squids will try to you smaller words next time.🤣🤣🤣🤣

8 hours ago, Andrea Bolla said:

Thanks for your kind reply!

So we can see a "full dirty" wing just for seconds during spoiler checkup and in that precise spot on the deck, is this correct?

Yes, you can do a "full dirty" wing while the bird is on the cat, just don't have the launch bar in the shuttle though. There are times that they would taxi the bird up to the point the launch bar was on top of the shuttle before spreading the wings and doing the spoiler check. As long as the launch bar isn't in the shuttle you can do full dirty wings when the bird is on the cat and it would be accurate.

Hold back bar is attached by the same guy?

No, there is another green shirt that connects the holdback bar, once he hooks it up he moves away from the aircraft.

And a last general question,  watching a few youtube videos about deck operations saw sometimes jacket/shirt color mismatch like a yellow jacket on a green shirt or brown on a white one: is this common or just an excepion.

No, they are not exceptions.

A green shirt with a yellow jacket (vest) is the Catapult Safety Petty Officer, he signals when it is safe to fire the cat. This person will only be on the cat when they are using the "bubble" to during launchers.

A white shirt with a brown jacket (vest) is a Quality Assurance person, they sometimes fill in as finalcheckers also.

When I was finalchecking I wore a white shirt and red vest (Ordnance Quality Assurance), caused a few folks to do a double take because it was unheard off (at the time I started doing it) for an Ordnanceman to be a qualified finalchecker.

Thanks in advance for you patience...

No worries, I always enjoy answer questions so ask away.

1 hour ago, Whiskey said:

I am referring to the large line that runs along the longitude axis that is denoting the radome and fuselage. in this picture it's right under the tape holding the nose cone on. It just looks massively over-proportioned to me. Maybe I'm wrong but that's why I am asking.

foto-34-1068x652.jpg

In the real aircraft the radome/fuselage joint is not that big, IMO it is rather exaggerated on this kit.

1 hour ago, shion said:

Followed build completed here: https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=131488&p=2279351&hilit=amk#p2279351

A pretty nice work.

file.php?id=1554439

file.php?id=1554438

file.php?id=1554437

file.php?id=1554436

file.php?id=1554433

file.php?id=1554459

Just one technical note and please don't take it that I am slamming the builder, just want to pass along something technical I see with this build.

The small door just forward of the IFR probe will not be open when the probe is fully extended, it opens just enough for the probe to clear it then closes. It closes when the probe is about a third way extended.

Edited by GW8345
17 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

In the real aircraft the radome/fuselage joint is not that big, IMO it is rather exaggerated on this kit.

Thank you GW, that answered my question exactly.

12 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

Just one technical note and please don't take it that I am slamming the builder, just want to pass along something technical I see with this build.

The small door just forward of the IFR probe will not be open when the probe is fully extended, it opens just enough for the probe to clear it then closes. It closes when the probe is about a third way extended.

Another builder's note to add to the collection. Thanks once more!

3 hours ago, shion said:

Did you at least read the question asked?

For reference:

So he asked where the seam comes from,

I answer.

If you've got problem about it , what''s the point to keep following this thread?

Because I've actually built the kit and am happy to point out where there are issues and where others are just made up. 

12 minutes ago, zerosystem said:

Because I've actually built the kit and am happy to point out where there are issues and where others are just made up. 

Understood that you have built the kit and hat's off to you sir. i am not making it up however because every kit picture I have seen there is a prominent line that distinguishes the nosecone from the fuselage. It is even more apparent when looking at pictures with a top view. I don't believe that it is that over-exaggerated on the 1:1 aircraft so that is why I asked. It kinda reminds me of how big the panel lines on the Hobby Boss F-14's are. In this instance it stands out, to me, because other panel lines are finer while this is huge. 

On 1/11/2020 at 7:55 AM, andrew.deboer said:

So far I do like the model, but I wouldn’t pick it over the Tamiya unless I was looking for extended flaps, slats and speed brakes.

If the flaps & slats are THE ONLY THINGS to seek in this kit, if this  is THE ONLY REASON to buy this kit, then  it won't be a hard decision to say that Tamiya still  firmly secured the top spot.

Edited by flybywire
On 1/10/2020 at 7:42 PM, Zactoman said:

Sorry I'm taking so long to show what I've done. I've been busier than ever lately and family and paying work comes first.
I have been working on a quick and dirty hip correction demonstration between things, when I have time.

I have been taking loads of (crappy) cell phone pics of each step. I need to pick the few most meaningful of the 200+ pics and edit/resize them. Hopefully I didn't miss anything important.

Rather than spread it out over tens of pages in this thread, I'm holding off until I finish the demo, get some final (better) pics and compose an explanation of what I've done.

I am getting close.

Nothing to be sorry about Zactoman. We (well I) understand that keeping roof over head and food in the larder has to be priority number one. When you have the time and energy is fine by me. I can wait.

2 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Understood that you have built the kit and hat's off to you sir. i am not making it up however because every kit picture I have seen there is a prominent line that distinguishes the nosecone from the fuselage. It is even more apparent when looking at pictures with a top view. I don't believe that it is that over-exaggerated on the 1:1 aircraft so that is why I asked. It kinda reminds me of how big the panel lines on the Hobby Boss F-14's are. In this instance it stands out, to me, because other panel lines are finer while this is huge. 

It's a line between two separate parts not an engraved one, up to the builder how to finish that seam.

6 hours ago, zerosystem said:

So because "you've actually built the kit", it makes disappear something everybody can see?

Whiskey is right about this, this line is not only quite visible, it is present in a location which makes it unavoidable, bc it's a focal point on any jet kit.

6 hours ago, Whiskey said:

And worse, on some builds, the fit is so wrong that both parts aren't aligned.

Despite a huge part which the one and only role is to be a locator.

I've been fighting with the same stuff on my HB kit 😄 I made the joint so ugly that after priming I decided to fill it and rescribe. And because my scribing skill was so low I had to fill it and rescribe again. And again. Initially it was worse than on any AMK radome lines I saw.

But finally went out "ok enough to me" (or all other lines are just huge).

49372164557_d768fbb780_o.jpg

Edited by Tapchan
59 minutes ago, shion said:

And worse, on some builds, the fit is so wrong that both parts aren't aligned.

Despite a huge part which the one and only role is to be a locator.

I agree that it would be good for the parts to fit more precisely. However, as with any kit, when I run into parts that don’t mate quite right, I don’t just glue them together and curse the maker. I fix the issue to my satisfaction.

if a builder leaves the nose cone misaligned, that’s on them. Same with the janky ejection seat halves or the fiddly flap assemblies or the multipart canopy (which you don’t have to use). 

Personally, one of my biggest “issues” with the kit is that the vertical stabilizers are molded in halves instead of a big part + an insert. But that’s just an inconvenience for me.

39 minutes ago, andrew.deboer said:

I agree that it would be good for the parts to fit more precisely. However, as with any kit, when I run into parts that don’t mate quite right, I don’t just glue them together and curse the maker. I fix the issue to my satisfaction.

if a builder leaves the nose cone misaligned, that’s on them. Same with the janky ejection seat halves or the fiddly flap assemblies or the multipart canopy (which you don’t have to use). 

Yes, the final result and build is on the builder, but when a manufacturer provides a locator to precisely assemble 2 parts and this locator does not help at all and maybe makes things worse, what we're talking here, the fact that the fit isn't good and both parts don't fit and the assembly leave a huge seam, is on the manufacturer.