15 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Not really sure why there's a whole page of people going back and forth about how to BUILD a model, as that's not what the discussion is about. It should not be commented upon that the line for the radome and nosecone is fixable by the modeller themselves, as that should be a given. Basically a "duh, no s***" moment. i have several F-14 kits by Hobby Boss, Tamiya, Hasegawa, and Monogram. There are imperfections on most, if not all of them, that need to be fixed or corrected by me, the modeller, if I choose to do so. To clarify further, if you have seen a build by anyone that doesn't have the line showing so prominent, then they have taken the necessary steps to fix it. I only want to discuss what it looks like OOB as that is really what this entire thread is supposed to be about. What the kit looks like without any modifications or corrections so that we, as modellers, can judge it for what it's actually worth and determine what DOES need to be done. 

I believe that the fact that I am having to explain all of this even further is slightly disconcerting.

:thumbsup2:

14 hours ago, shion said:

Saw it few weeks ago.

It seems to me more a caricature than a real and serious review, the last quote you made and the signed box are the cherry on the cake.

I saw it too. It just made no sense what so ever. Made me think that either he's looking at some other kit, or he's got some sort of bias for some reason. Oh well :dontknow:

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

I saw it too. It just made no sense what so ever. Made me think that either he's looking at some other kit, or he's got some sort of bias for some reason. Oh well :dontknow:

I don't read sponsored / promotional reviews in general, bc of this bias, the only useful contents of them being pics of the parts (when these pics aren't doctored/photoshoped).

And in fact, text reviews are remains of the past, you've got more info in video reviews, their best bonus being you can turn off the sound.

About this "review" in particular, the first time I readed it, some parts mesmerized me.

I test fit a few parts from the kit including the upper and lower fuselage halves.  The fit is perfect.  I’m talking airtight and seamless.  The plastic surfaces are as smooth as glass.  The majority of surface details (e.g., panel lines, fasteners) are delicately recessed and perfectly executed with a high degree of accuracy (but see below for a few observations).  They are not over-done or over-scaled.  In places where there are raised rivets on the aircraft, such as the inside of the speed brake wells, the kit has raised rivets.  There are also a lot of construction options here, but I would not characterize this as “over-engineered.”  It gets the job done.  Further and most importantly, there are also numerous features of the F-14, as described throughout the following, which no other kit manufacturer has ever correctly represented in Tomcat kits before, but it’s here in the AMK kit.

The nozzles are very well done single-piece items, and four parts per open nozzle are provided for the inside petal surfaces. 

11 hours ago, GW8345 said:

Dude, I'm not going to play your little gotcha game.

I was pointing out a technical thing about the real aircraft using a model posted as an example, which regularly happens on a modeling discussion board. Now, if you don't like me posting technical information while using someone's build as an example I recommend you utilize the ignore function this site offers, it will help prevent you from getting sand in certain places.

Now, to answer your question, yes, if a builder wants to open every panel I couldn't care less. But, I do reserve the right to point out technical aspects of said action, after-all, isn't that one of the major purposes of a model discussion board?

I think you just did.

I know where you are coming from, Ive seen it often and been told the same thing.

I neither said nor implied you cant have nor did I say you cant voice an opinion. They are always welcome no matter what they are.

2 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

I think you just did.

I know where you are coming from, Ive seen it often and been told the same thing.

I neither said nor implied you cant have nor did I say you cant voice an opinion. They are always welcome no matter what they are.

54e10d77e41c4.jpeg

9 hours ago, shion said:

About this "review" in particular, the first time I readed it, some parts mesmerized me.

I test fit a few parts from the kit including the upper and lower fuselage halves.  The fit is perfect.  I’m talking airtight and seamless.  The plastic surfaces are as smooth as glass.  The majority of surface details (e.g., panel lines, fasteners) are delicately recessed and perfectly executed with a high degree of accuracy (but see below for a few observations).  They are not over-done or over-scaled.  In places where there are raised rivets on the aircraft, such as the inside of the speed brake wells, the kit has raised rivets.  There are also a lot of construction options here, but I would not characterize this as “over-engineered.”  It gets the job done.  Further and most importantly, there are also numerous features of the F-14, as described throughout the following, which no other kit manufacturer has ever correctly represented in Tomcat kits before, but it’s here in the AMK kit.

Of the statements you quoted in bold the only questionable one is about the accuracy and execution of surface detail, where it was clearly demonstrated that they are not nor accurate nor perfectly executed.

Fit of main fuselage parts is indeed quite perfect and plastic surfaces are as smooth as they any other top quality kit (the "machining" marks on the surface in the build you posted are just nonsense).

Panel line size/scale is just a matter of personal taste: even the worst maintained and battered A/C in quarter scale should be as smooth as silk with almost invisible surface detail considering a panel gap of 2mm would scale to 0.04mm or 0.001in; look into the "in progress" section and you will found someone re-scribing and deepening the "perfect" Tamiya kit, and you can bet it will turn out an amazing build.

Regarding the nose cone fit I checked on my kit and as supposed you can add part U2 to the cockpit tub before inserting the whole assembly into front fuselage; that part is not really needed to keep the nose cone in place so if you think it can be more a problem than a solution you can avoid to use it; even if you follow the instructions that part fit without any major issue in it's place without need of pliers or brute force shown in video from your post.

18 minutes ago, Andrea Bolla said:

Of the statements you quoted in bold the only questionable one is about the accuracy and execution of surface detail, where it was clearly demonstrated that they are not nor accurate nor perfectly executed.

Fit of main fuselage parts is indeed quite perfect and plastic surfaces are as smooth as they any other top quality kit (the "machining" marks on the surface in the build you posted are just nonsense).

Panel line size/scale is just a matter of personal taste: even the worst maintained and battered A/C in quarter scale should be as smooth as silk with almost invisible surface detail considering a panel gap of 2mm would scale to 0.04mm or 0.001in; look into the "in progress" section and you will found someone re-scribing and deepening the "perfect" Tamiya kit, and you can bet it will turn out an amazing build.

Regarding the nose cone fit I checked on my kit and as supposed you can add part U2 to the cockpit tub before inserting the whole assembly into front fuselage; that part is not really needed to keep the nose cone in place so if you think it can be more a problem than a solution you can avoid to use it; even if you follow the instructions that part fit without any major issue in it's place without need of pliers or brute force shown in video from your post.

Come on!

Ignore this guy! He is working for someone!

26 minutes ago, Andrea Bolla said:

Fit of main fuselage parts is indeed quite perfect.

There are two problems.

First the claim he made is a sophism. You can't judge the general fit of a kit, just by testing the fit between 2 parts, particularly without the numerous parts you've got to insert between them during the build.

And second and the least, we already saw the result when inner parts are inside:

Dry fit version of one of the build sponsored by AMK:

69471723_10220710111846681_7660830056595

Cemented version of the same build:

70717992_10220795760507844_3553217063772

70302808_10220795760947855_6449877118548

Sorry but it's not what I called a perfect fit/airtight/seamless.

And the builder himself said there are fit issues.

26 minutes ago, Andrea Bolla said:

and plastic surfaces are as smooth as they any other top quality kit (the "machining" marks on the surface in the build you posted are just nonsense).

Really?

Pic in the italian review few pages ago:

foto-08.jpg

Is it what you called "as smooth as they any other top quality kit" or he called "as smooth as glass"?

Not me.

Every high quality model company (among which many count AMK for their previous kits, 309 pages as proof, no Italeri could've pay such attention) should provide a test build. It's common in paper models, company hires a tester to build their project - no paint, no putty. Same should work in this part of modelling world, no paint, no putty, just pure plastic and glue. Such build can show fitting level.

1 hour ago, Sio said:

Come on!

1 hour ago, Sio said:

If you want to know, I can tell!

I think the worst AMK enemy in the whole AMK F-14 case was AMK itself. No external bashing can hurt the opinion of good kit (not shape-wise IMO) as much as bad designer company internal decisions.

Edited by Tapchan
27 minutes ago, shion said:

Pic in the italian review few pages ago:

foto-08.jpg

Is it what you called "as smooth as they any other top quality kit" or he called "as smooth as glass"?

Not me.

Let compare AMK with a recent kit (GWH Su-35) under the same conditions (Celestron digital micro at same enlargement):

GWH

y4mylbjtf3BFgxqLafhLMsSFrpFhwECczGU0TqmS

AMK

y4myhnn3yaI8FqteQqoRG3d48JVCFdupocDaOeUj

My nose section has been reworked (see my slow start build in "in progress" section) so you can see the original plastic only around the antenna plate (there is a bit of primer left I that used to check the panel re-scribing work around the IFR):

y4mmaCwhPgV00XkzQL1Yqps3fYDEL_YXH9qFbIu5

and here the slime light frames toned down a bit and polished with 00000 steel wool (lot of cleaning required here):

y4mFaRUyaaB4j14wez7YyDxDNUksf9uC0R2g2lAs

Sorry not to include a Tamiya kit in this comparison but their most recent A/C kit in my stash is the He162 Salamander that is 14 years old.

17 minutes ago, Tapchan said:

Every high quality model company (among which many count AMK for their previous kits, 309 pages as proof, no Italeri could've pay such attention) should provide a test build. It's common in paper models, company hires a tester to build their project - no paint, no putty. Same should work in this part of modelling world, no paint, no putty, just pure plastic and glue. Such build can show fitting level.

If I remember right, Tamiya have a panel of testers, who provide feedback about the fit and if the engineer team must alter the assembling sequence.

And they and others companies have pro-builders, who build OOB kits  we can see on the box side/ catalogue/ adds.

17 minutes ago, Tapchan said:

I think the worst AMK enemy in the whole AMK F-14 case was AMK itself. No external bashing can hurt the opinion of good kit (not shape-wise IMO) as much as bad designer company internal decisions.

This.

And the fact they definitely gave up the promotion of their own kit, prefering to use all means possible, dubious ones included, to change the subject of the discussion, tells a lot.

Cluck, cluck, cluck.....you hens are amazing. It's your hobby, but I don't get how you receive more enjoyment bitching about a kit than actually building one you like. It's like arguing is the most enjoyable part of the hobby. As I said....it's your hobby 🙄

Maybe head to

You're welcome!

FFS

Edited by sideshow
On 1/12/2020 at 12:27 PM, Tapchan said:

Well, I was always told the proverb "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth".

If they send me free review sample I am also going to say it's excellent and even better than Grumman's snot.

Yeah, you will.. lol. and expected. Give me your address I am going to send you one. 😉

20 hours ago, weirich1 said:

I just read a review on this abomination on another website. Who in the hell decides to give modelers the wing positionable leading and trailing flaps with swept-forward option? Seriously an F-14 model that does not allow wing sweep?  

On the other hand I do like the concept of one piece missiles and forward fuselage. The canopy frame and glass seem remarkable too. Furball Aero decals look amazing as always.

I'm going to show your post (minus the naughty word) to my 4th graders. We are currently studying author's bias/tone/perspective/attitude and the use of "juicy" (as one of my kids calls them) words to strengthen your position. Abomination is a perfect example. Nice hyperbole. However, they are going to get whiplash when they read the second part and you use the word "remarkable". It should be a fun lesson!

Remarkable as in Amazing ?

or

Remarkable as in worth making a Remark ?

”Your remark was remarkable”

I think a lot of the content of this thread may be below 4th grade level...... 🙉🙈🙊

4 hours ago, Sio said:

Why not name it right here, right now so that everyone would know rather than leaving everyone guessing and at the same time, to avoid the impression that you're blaming everyone who gives honest opinions and observations as coming from competitor companies.

Edited by flybywire
15 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

I think you just did.

Yep, I called it, thanks for confirming.

15 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

And yet you've been wanting to shut down other's opinion for months.

7 hours ago, Sio said:

7 hours ago, Sio said:

3 hours ago, flybywire said:

Why not name it right here, right now so that everyone would know rather than leaving everyone guessing and at the same time, to avoid the impression that you're blaming everyone who gives honest opinions and observations as coming from competitor companies.

And while you're at it Sio, please answer the questions I asked after you posted this: 

On 12/11/2019 at 1:16 PM, Sio said:

Zactoman, I don't know him! I just know the one developing OV-10 and the one sold our design to some other manufacturer without our authorization. Also, LAU-3 and LAU-68 rocket pods in our ordnance set.

I replied here: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/285277-amk-148-f-14/&do=findComment&comment=2983930

But you ignored my post and left the accusation hanging out there.

Are you accusing me of something or are you accusing Terry (HazMAT Models owner)?
What design of yours was stolen/sold? Who was it sold to?
Did AMK receive permission from Terry to use the HazMAT LAU-3 and LAU-68 parts in your weapon set?

On 12/11/2019 at 8:53 PM, Mstor said:

Zactoman is a well known and respected member of the modeling community and an aftermarket parts maker of extraordinary talent. I find it curious that you would claim not to know him but in the same paragraph accuse him of stealing your designs. If there is some history between you and him, it would be best to take it offline. Airing this type of stuff in an open forum is entirely inappropriate, IMHO.

Respected?  :doh: Though I don't think everybody here agrees, thank you sir. :cheers:
For the record, I have personally had no interactions with AMK other than the banter on this thread.
I did work with HazMAT Models who hired AMK to tool the failed Bronco project. I quit HazMAT before finding out that they had given up on AMK finishing the Bronco tooling. I no longer work for any other company other than Zactomodels. And no, Zactomodels is not a competitor of AMK.

:cheers:

3 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

This seems to imply that you know there is commonality between the two.

I have test shots of the Bronco parts. The pics of the AMK parts look identical.

Dave Roof pointed out an error in the length of the AMK LAU-68 parts: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/285277-amk-148-f-14/&do=findComment&comment=2983951

The Bronco parts have the same error: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/285277-amk-148-f-14/&do=findComment&comment=2984376

I'm pretty certain they are the same parts.

:cheers:

6 hours ago, foxmulder_ms said:

Yeah, you will.. lol. and expected. Give me your address I am going to send you one. 😉

I will gladly get one of those superb, flawless kits, greatest among 48 scale Tomcats! (That's just a sample :))