2 hours ago, KenM said:

Cue Buffalo Springfield...

57 minutes ago, habu2 said:

There's battle lines being drawn.

I don't think it's time to stop. I thought I had stated that the lines I had drawn were approximate (close enough for government work), but apparently didn't make that point exactly clear. So here, "these lines are approximate" (Red = AMK; Blue = Tamiya = Grumman):
Side_hips_zpsn4na8heb.jpg

Edited by Zactoman
Lyrics conformity
17 hours ago, foxmulder_ms said:

errrrrr. lol. It is because as a model it is almost perfect. The mold line etc is absolutely a tiny thing if you can even notice it. All I can say from your comment is that you did not see the model in your hands. I dont have the tamiya f-14 but I have tamiya F-16 and AMK F-14 has nothing short compared to f-16 and details and single piece missiles actually makes it much better. From what I've seen I think tamiya f-16 and f-14 look comparable. 

If you can take time off from the crazy toxic environment of this topic and actually look at the model in your hands, it is pretty awesome model. 

i think you add quite happily to the toxic environment by ignoring clear issues that people who gave spent good money on kits gave with multiple kits.

Passing off their issues as tiny because this kits “perfect”...utter rubbish.

You think sink lines that run the full length of intakes are a “tiny thing”?

incomplete and variable depth panel lines are ok.
I have four AMK F-14’s all with extensive and visible sink lines and marks.

There are other production issues ie decal misregistration and inconsistent panel lines.

So please dont dismiss clear and prominent visual issues that will be plainly visible with washes and matt coats as tiny things as they will stand out like dogs balls with a TPS scheme.

Hyperscales review is quite disgraceful to omit every single production issue i have on 4 kits.

I paid good money for my 4 kits, got shafted by not having weapon sets supplied and to to top it off i got a load of sink lines and underdone panel lines thrown in for free.

If you think this kit is perfect and better than a Tamiya kit you dont even own which has basically perfect engineering, panel lines and dimensions all ill say us go buy the Tamiya kit and see how a model kit should be produced.

Edited by dehowie

Whats the opinion on the wheels? Should they be replaced with the new Eduard set?

The kits tires have a strange "raised line detail" on the tire, close to the hub area. Maybe it can be sanded off to look better?

http://www.hyperscale.com/2020/reviews/kits/p7hg_img_10/fullsize/18_fs.jpg

Boxart F-14D wheels AMK 648530 Eduard

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

On 1/26/2020 at 10:59 AM, dehowie said:

i think you add quite happily to the toxic environment by ignoring clear issues that people who gave spent good money on kits gave with multiple kits.

Passing off their issues as tiny because this kits “perfect”...utter rubbish.

You think sink lines that run the full length of intakes are a “tiny thing”?

incomplete and variable depth panel lines are ok.
I have four AMK F-14’s all with extensive and visible sink lines and marks.

There are other production issues ie decal misregistration and inconsistent panel lines.

So please dont dismiss clear and prominent visual issues that will be plainly visible with washes and matt coats as tiny things as they will stand out like dogs balls with a TPS scheme.

Hyperscales review is quite disgraceful to omit every single production issue i have on 4 kits.

I paid good money for my 4 kits, got shafted by not having weapon sets supplied and to to top it off i got a load of sink lines and underdone panel lines thrown in for free.

If you think this kit is perfect and better than a Tamiya kit you dont even own which has basically perfect engineering, panel lines and dimensions all ill say us go buy the Tamiya kit and see how a model kit should be produced.

Maybe you could put them on a sales site like ebay?
Im sure there are many people out there who would want them.

maybe if you get your money back you wouldnt feel so bitter?

1 hour ago, F-16 said:

Whats the opinion on the wheels? Should they be replaced with the new Eduard set?

The kits tires have a strange "raised line detail" on the tire, close to the hub area. Maybe it can be sanded off to look better?

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

Replace them.
But those brassin is not for the F-14D

3 hours ago, F-16 said:

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

I have had a look at them on the Eduard site, I don't know if maybe they just show the wrong images for them, but what they show are not D-wheels, those are A and B. That is not to say that there might not have been a few Ds that had those wheels at some point, but the average D did not use those.

Edited by Shadrik
11 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

M

11 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Doubtful......

3 hours ago, Grand Toad said:

This.

Remember all the falderal about the Academy 1/48 F-4B when it was released? Oh, and the shape of the back half of the Zoukei-Mura 1/48 F-4J.

What you're doing is comparing apples with oranges. These two kits have just a couple of issues each. The AMK Tomcat has way more than a couple of issues.

Actually, what is really surprising about this kit it's that, when it comes to fit and accuracy, is worst of the now over tirthy years old Hasegawa Tomcat.

Just to keep injecting this concept (pardon the pun) but just because ALL models have flaws, does that mean that the flaws that do exist on any model should not be discussed? Because if that's the case I find that it's going to get REALLY hard to improve anything. Yes, there is a difference between bashing a kit for the sake of bashing it and calling it a piece of worthless goat droppings that should have never been made as opposed to actually pointing out all of these very minor or even potentially major flaws. One approach is absolutely zero help and I don't feel applies to this model. The other approach is actually very helpful to those that wish to build an accurate model and even those that design models in the future. Does AMK read all of these evaluations like what Zacto has been posting? Perhaps, perhaps not. But if I were the person designing models for a living and I came across a thread where there are skilled craftsmen taking a look at the work I'd done and pointing out where I could have improved and using actual hard evidence...well I'd consider that free advice and potentially education. There are some things being pointed out that might not have been realized. Now for the next project, this level of detail might be better. And if your goal is to be the very best, then you HAVE to get to that level of dissatisfaction with your own work. AMK seems to want to reach that goal so the first thing they probably should do is say "we didn't make 100% YET...but we can try harder"

Or we could just say that no kit is perfect and never talk about those imperfections. And never strive for close to perfect. After all, it's just a plastic model. 

Edited by niart17
3 hours ago, niart17 said:

The other approach is actually very helpful to those that wish to build an accurate model and even those that design models in the future.

(my underlining)

I think it is no coincidence that the expressed desires of model builders for more accurate and detailed models over the years and the rapid and continuous improvement by model companies in creating more accurate and detailed kits has led to a renaissance of sorts in the quality of models over the last decade. I think we, the customers, have made it clear that we want accurate, detailed and well designed model kits and the model companies have, for the most part, competed heavily in these areas. As customers, our expectations have risen with each new interation of model kit technologies. It is no longer enough that a model "looks" like the subject. It must, to a higher and higher degree, match the subject in shape and detail. All this, plus, we want the models to assemble with relative ease, i.e. parts should fit. It should satisfy everyone from the casual modeler that wants something easy to build that will just "look" like the subject, to the most discerning modeler that wants the shapes and details of the model to match those of the real thing because that modeler will check those details and shapes and will report back to forums like this one. If there are mistakes, the modeling community will know about them in short order.  One might argue that the percent of modelers that participate on these forums as small. Probably true, but the online communities on Facebook are much larger, growing fast and much easier for today's casual modeler to find and participate in. The same information regarding the quality of a model kit will find its way to those online communities as well. That is where a model companies reputation can be built or broken.

tl;dr - All that to say, we've wanted better models and over the years the model companies have produced better models. Now, online communities can make or break a companies reputation in those areas.

On 1/28/2020 at 1:01 AM, ElectroSoldier said:

Im not bitter what i am tired if is guts openly denying the existence if clear and plain issues with the kit?

The kit is “perfect”..blah blah.

Complete denial of reality.

Im not selling my kits but it doesnt mean you cant have a cold rational opinion on exactly where it stands in relation to other 48th Tomcats.

Something many modellers are completely unable to do.
As i said im sure we will see and we have seen some great builds of the kit that doesnt mean its “perfect” by a long stretch.

Edited by dehowie
On 1/28/2020 at 6:16 AM, galfa said:

What you're doing is comparing apples with oranges. These two kits have just a couple of issues each. The AMK Tomcat has way more than a couple of issues.

Actually, what is really surprising about this kit it's that, when it comes to fit and accuracy, is worst of the now over tirthy years old Hasegawa Tomcat.

I've built both. The Hasegawa kit is much more finicky to build. The AMK has its issues, but it's still easier than the Hasegawa. Not by a whopping amount, but it is easier.

9 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

I've built both. The Hasegawa kit is much more finicky to build. The AMK has its issues, but it's still easier than the Hasegawa. Not by a whopping amount, but it is easier.

If so, why several seasoned HAS Tomcat builders (some pros among them) have so much problem with the AMK kit?

Edited by shion
51 minutes ago, shion said:

If so, why several seasoned HAS Tomcat builders (some pros among them) have so much problem with the AMK kit?

In my opinion it's a mistake to think that because one person, or even a majority of the builders, can build a model without issues, that it means that other seasoned builders won't have issues and vice versa. There's a LOT of factors when it comes to kit builds. Some kits are very consistent and if there are issues it USUALLY means the builder did something "wrong". (Bandai Sci-fi comes to mind, they just work and it's hard to mess up) But others have some areas that if it's not done in a certain way in a certain order, then some small issues snowball into harder builds and trouble down the road. (i.e. the Has Tomcats)That's not to say it's un-buildable or that if you have issues then you're not good builder. It just has to be approached differently. That's the beauty of these forums. Others can benefit from people pointing out potential issues so maybe their build will flow more smoothly. Heck, I've build a kit before and the first time had no issues at all. Then built the exact same kit a couple of years later and because I did one small thing different the whole build fought me tooth and nails. I'm sure we've all been there. 

Edited by niart17
42 minutes ago, shion said:

Pardon my ignorance, but who decides who's a MATURE and / or a PRO builder? You? Darren has built more

Tomcats of all brands than you've probably ever seen, so there's absolutely no reason to doubt his word - compared

to your mediocre statement. Does the word "ellbow grease" ring a bell? 

58 minutes ago, niart17 said:

In my opinion it's a mistake to think that because one person, or even a majority of the builders, can build a model without issues, that it means that other seasoned builders won't have issues and vice versa. There's a LOT of factors when it comes to kit builds. Some kits are very consistent and if there are issues it USUALLY means the builder did something "wrong". (Bandai Sci-fi comes to mind, they just work and it's hard to mess up) But others have some areas that if it's not done in a certain way in a certain order, then some small issues snowball into harder builds and trouble down the road. (i.e. the Has Tomcats)That's not to say it's un-buildable or that if you have issues then you're not good builder. It just has to be approached differently. That's the beauty of these forums. Others can benefit from people pointing out potential issues so maybe their build will flow more smoothly. Heck, I've build a kit before and the first time had no issues at all. Then built the exact same kit a couple of years later and because I did one small thing different the whole build fought me tooth and nails. I'm sure we've all been there. 

We're not talking about "resultant" fit issues here.

Just look at the fit front fuselage/main fuselage. If you know how the kit is designed, you know these parts aren't "builder dependant", width and height are from the sprues OOB.

Dry-fit: https://www.modelingtime.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19479&start=30

gaXxMlw03OZrJGMjlSK2Mx9ziGDSzibDEX9g1OvA

DVQVC3a2D7fmBuGWUmcneU7V4JA7w1rtllJC7tpX

sXEguEa3SQrCin1EFWGrWTp2694rcC9sovZDZYJg

JcO4btb7e5Qb39ZQs7LTmTyVl10Lf0o62ieDRNhH

And despite heavy work, he got this:

RjUCYjyZci5T1ivgDjLRRjqyKlFhiUMnT8uotdK9

The japanese builder (I gave a link of his WIPs) got exactly the same issue, same result and solved it with stretch sprues + classic putty + epoxy putty.

The builder from modelforum.cz (I gave a link too) got the same issue, same result and solved it with epoxy putty.

4 hours ago, shion said:

Because they've built the Hasegawa kit numerous times and have gotten a feel for it. I can bet you the first time they built the Hasegawa kit, it was a more difficult build than the AMK kit. If they were build multiple AMK kits, they find it gets easier to build each time. Many people find the Monogram Tomcat difficult to build. I have built so many of them I can get one together in a weekend. it's all about experience.

6 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

... Many people find the Monogram Tomcat difficult to build. I have built so many of them I can get one together in a weekend. it's all about experience.

Darren have you ever done a step-by-step build thread on the Monogram/Revell Tomcat here? I have tried (and failed) with that kit many times and I'd be interested in seeing how you do it. The cheap cost of that kit is a big seller for me but man its one of the most  frustrating Monogram/Revell builds!

Happy modeling!

18 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

Because they've built the Hasegawa kit numerous times and have gotten a feel for it. I can bet you the first time they built the Hasegawa kit, it was a more difficult build than the AMK kit. If they were build multiple AMK kits, they find it gets easier to build each time. Many people find the Monogram Tomcat difficult to build. I have built so many of them I can get one together in a weekend. it's all about experience.

They try other kits too, new ones among them, and succeed.

So no, the fact a seasoned builder knows how to deal with the HAS Tomcat doesn't imply this builder can't deal with other kits.