1 hour ago, Grand Toad said:

The link is in my post.

Yes I should have added that I was going to use the link you posted. Good info Darren and I'll definitely be using it on my next attempt at the Monogram F-14A. I hope it won't end up in the bone yard like the other failed attempts.

Happy modeling all!

15 hours ago, Zactoman said:

Not defending the kit, but with a little work (more than should be necessary for a modern kit) the parts can be adjusted to fit to an acceptable level.

Granted, I don't have anything glued together and the internal parts aren't installed, but if you make sure those internal parts don't interfere (i.e. cockpit/nose gear well fit) then the actual assembly should match what I'm showing here.

There is still an annoying gap that will need to be dealt with.

Had the nose been molded in two halves this could have been molded like traditional Tomcat kits and wouldn't be a problem.

:cheers:

As pointed by the builder himself, the fit is quite different between when he "dryfitted" the parts and now when everything is inside/ mounted.

he succeed at last: https://www.modelingtime.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=19479&start=50

That not completely finished, of course

K8ZMBG6198f0SVaAYpdZPz8Qq5S8jn5CrzxhU0AJ

XIDu5bCWuUrcbxMm1pZDgVoAJLBxSRamefPvM3OV4ocgAnjlXrMTrZgqrqhG4JWYmaeWMSWe4Uqfd3Qn

9ywKkEKBcSyUHIY2iX77sHvwaLHGBFFTXhCwZIua

Edited by shion
14 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

You completely missed the point. I'm not trying to say the AMK kit doesn't have issues. I'm countering your point that it's horrible. I built the AMK kit and I didn't have near the issue with the front fuselage to rear fuselage mating area. What does that say? Does that say I'm a better builder than the ones you are referencing? Or maybe I got lucky? I'm not sure why you keep hounding on this and referencing other builders. I don't know them from Adam. They are probably very proficient builders. But that doesn't mean they are the end-all, be-all of modeling. Their's is not the final say. My whole point is that he had issues, but if he were to build it a couple more times, he would find ways to mitigate and overcome the issues. That's where experience of the build comes in. That was my point. 

You know what this build reminds me?

The 1/32 new revell Superhornet.

Where the manufacturer himself directs the builder to cut/trim/rease some signifiant parts/aeras of the kit, to have decent fittings.

And no one, expect trolls trying to shut down the discussion, used this  "horrible" adjective here.

8 hours ago, shion said:

You know what this build reminds me?

The 1/32 new revell Superhornet.

Where the manufacturer himself directs the builder to cut/trim/rease some signifiant parts/aeras of the kit, to have decent fittings.

And no one, expect trolls trying to shut down the discussion, used this  "horrible" adjective here.

The direction of the thread has changed from a month ago.

It is most interesting to see the builds taking place in other places, I dont go in for build reviews myself so I wouldnt normally see it.

Was the Revell F-18E/F not a good kit?

I confess I'm not too much around all the various modelling spaces anymore but I haven't seen all that many builds othe rthan the obvious incentive/promotion builds.

I hope I'm not crossing any red lines but can anyone maybe share some links to all those builds that are written about?

2 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

The direction of the thread has changed from a month ago.

It is most interesting to see the builds taking place in other places, I dont go in for build reviews myself so I wouldnt normally see it.

Was the Revell F-18E/F not a good kit?

It was kind of a dumpster fire.

Has AMK said anything about other boxings of this kit?  From the breakdown of the parts earlier versions seem possible. I’ve lost track of where this thread is going so many times now, I can’t say what is in or out. I have 5 copies of the Tamiya kits in A and D form, I bought one of the AMK so far figuring at least I could use the extra weapons, and the dirty wing on the Tamiya if overall the AMK kit was not up to snuff.  As it was less to buy the AMK kit than the KSL wing and some extra missiles and bombs. So far the AMK kit seems pretty good, some issues here and there, but nothing to stop me from making it. Having actually finished a Tamiya alpha, I will say this kit has some pretty high standards to live up to in terms of ease of build and fit. 

16 minutes ago, Grand Toad said:

I'll always remember a Francios Verlinden quote about model building. To paraphrase, "If you are building an F-104, and it looks like an F-104, and it doesn't look like a vacuum cleaner, you have succeeded."

I believe that was a different time, quite a while ago. Francios would sometimes make up details on models just to make an area "look" busy and detailed. Standards are higher now. Many of us expect our kits to be highly detailed and accurate. If details are missing or inadequate we will often supplement them with aftermarket details.

3 minutes ago, Mstor said:

I believe that was a different time, quite a while ago. Francios would sometimes make up details on models just to make an area "look" busy and detailed. Standards are higher now. Many of us expect our kits to be highly detailed and accurate. If details are missing or inadequate we will often supplement them with aftermarket details.

Shep Paine called it "gizmology". And, back then we didn't know any better. Funny thing is Shep Paine sure had a lot models and dioramas on display in museums.

I remember guys using model railroad chain hooks for canopy latches. 

1 minute ago, Grand Toad said:

Shep Paine called it "gizmology". And, back then we didn't know any better. Funny thing is Shep Paine sure had a lot models and dioramas on display in museums.

I remember guys using model railroad chain hooks for canopy latches. 

Yea, we had to use what we could find. Not like today with all the resin, PE and brass sets to replace just about every little detail. I remember when the Waldron placards and instruments where the top of the line for cockpits. Used them on a Hasegawa 1/32 F-16A. Looked pretty good for back then. Those placards where actually more accurate than a lot of the PE we have today. Of course, you had to drill hoes and use stretched sprue to make all the little switches. Not for the faint of heart.

On 1/30/2020 at 11:47 AM, habu2 said:

Well I am now thoroughly confused.  Last year I built a piece of furniture - specifically a chair with armrests.  I then sold the chair and was paid in cash.

Does that make me an Armchair builder?  or a Pro builder?

:touche:

That makes you a mercenary wood butcher

55 minutes ago, weirich1 said:

Why are members posting about an upcoming Super Hornet kit in this thread!

1. The SH kit is not upcoming, it has been out for a while.

2. For me the main, if underlying, purpose (or maybe lesson learned) of this thread is "know before you buy".  That sage advice applies to any new kit.

18 hours ago, Mstor said:

I remember when the Waldron placards and instruments where the top of the line for cockpits. Used them on a Hasegawa 1/32 F-16A. Looked pretty good for back then. Those placards where actually more accurate than a lot of the PE we have today. Of course, you had to drill hoes and use stretched sprue to make all the little switches. Not for the faint of heart.

My thoughts exactly, Mark. How I miss those placards, bezels and instrument dials. Still have some stored somewhere in the stash.

So I guess Bobby Waldron from Genessis Models hasn't got a thing to do with that company?

18 hours ago, Mstor said:

Yea, we had to use what we could find. Not like today with all the resin, PE and brass sets to replace just about every little detail. I remember when the Waldron placards and instruments where the top of the line for cockpits. Used them on a Hasegawa 1/32 F-16A. Looked pretty good for back then. Those placards where actually more accurate than a lot of the PE we have today. Of course, you had to drill hoes and use stretched sprue to make all the little switches. Not for the faint of heart.

Back in the mid 80s, I tried doing the Waldron placards on a 1/32 Tamiya F-14A. I got totally frustrated and gave up. Shelf of doom time. I never did finish that kit.