4 hours ago, flybywire said:

How do you know if a member has already issued a warning? How many warnings can one get before being banned for good?  Can one create another account after being banned, seems like this guy has, if  I understood some posts here correctly? How do you report to a moderator/admin?

We don't. I don't think there are clear rules on that and it depends on severity anyway. Yes, he has had like a dozen accounts at this point. There is literally a "Report post" button on every comment on top right side.

Moderators are able to see the IP address that a post comes from. That is one way of finding out if a new account is from the same person. Doesn't always work. If the person posts from a different location it will have a different IP address. If the user is sophisticated, there are ways of spoofing your IP address, making it look like you are posting from a different IP address. This is the kind of work that keeps moderators busy (depending on the forum). Usually, the best way of finding these new accounts that banned users create is the users own mistakes and habits. A good moderator (mod for short) can recognize certain users by the language they use. These users just can't help themselves and eventually will give themselves away, or get banned for the same behavior that got them banned in the first place.

Forums like ARC are closed, meaning that you have to apply for access. On open forums, like some support forums, they often have to let any user post in order to make it easier for users to get the help they need. But that means that they are an open feeding ground for spam and trolls. My lady friend has moderated at the Mozillazine forums for years (they support Firefox and other Mozilla software). There are subforums there that are open and they can get hundreds of spam messages a day. There are sites that can help them spot spam accounts, but most of it is going through each forum and looking for spam, trolls and others just behaving badly. Its a lot of work and requires a lot of dedication on the part of the mods.

On 2/6/2020 at 6:59 PM, Mstor said:

Moderators are able to see the IP address that a post comes from. That is one way of finding out if a new account is from the same person. Doesn't always work. If the person posts from a different location it will have a different IP address. If the user is sophisticated, there are ways of spoofing your IP address, making it look like you are posting from a different IP address. This is the kind of work that keeps moderators busy (depending on the forum). Usually, the best way of finding these new accounts that banned users create is the users own mistakes and habits. A good moderator (mod for short) can recognize certain users by the language they use. These users just can't help themselves and eventually will give themselves away, or get banned for the same behavior that got them banned in the first place.

Forums like ARC are closed, meaning that you have to apply for access. On open forums, like some support forums, they often have to let any user post in order to make it easier for users to get the help they need. But that means that they are an open feeding ground for spam and trolls. My lady friend has moderated at the Mozillazine forums for years (they support Firefox and other Mozilla software). There are subforums there that are open and they can get hundreds of spam messages a day. There are sites that can help them spot spam accounts, but most of it is going through each forum and looking for spam, trolls and others just behaving badly. Its a lot of work and requires a lot of dedication on the part of the mods.

Just be careful about when you mindlock someone! :lockd:

and now this thread is Mindlocked!

Edited by masanissa
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 4:20 PM, madcop said:

Boeing fired Mr Muilenberg, and now Martin Wilson resigned from AMK. But Muilenburg got $62m in compensation and pension benefit. How much did AMK paid Martin Wilson to resign ? 100 boxes of F-14D ?

"He is too busy with his own business, and has no extra time for the heavy work for AMK." sounds a little bit like a Pravda official announcement ! 😜

My own businesses have taken over all my time. www.missingx.com and www.yourzbs.com have taken off so, yes, I am glad to say my own companies are booming.

This has unfortunately left me no time for models.

Some of my largest clients include Heathrow Airport, London City Airport and many airports and rail companies across the UK and EU.

So anyone who says I can't sell is a fool.

AMK and I are still in good spirits and health - there are ZERO issues between us despite whatever so called 'experts in the know' have said.
I can categorically say this was a decision taken in good faith and I still support AMK to the fullest degree. I always will. Sio and I are good friends and, I hope, always will be.

At least now, I no longer have to listen to some of the inane drivel on this site or any other from people who don't even make models just make red lines and remark upon things they have no qualifications in.

Some, of course, I have faith and respect for of course. They know this because we have engaged in discussions privately.

For me personally, I have moved to 1/35 dioramas because my eyes, they hurt so much........................

I will always be faithful to the companies I believe in but my own companies more so of course and these take primacy for me now.

Sio and the team are always trying to further the cause of modelling and some don't appreciate this for some reason. I have no idea why there are so many detractors I really don't. I can only assume that there are agendas at play here.

For clarity, AMK and Hazmat are not in any kind of 'cahoots'. I know Terry Chan from Hazmat and what you might not know is that he is ex Chinese Secret Service - or so he told me.

So I would be more than careful what you say about that person or company. IF he is to be believed.

Terry and I worked together at Bruntingthorpe where I stupidly invited him to see the Buccs in situ with kind permission  from Colin Robinson.

Oh yes, there is a huge amount I could tell that you won't know!

For those that actually make models - keep the faith and keep building what you like when you like and please don't worry about anyone who comments without showing their own work.

I am trying to get my profile name changed because I no longer speak for AMK now our business relationship has come to a close - respectfully and amenably I am happy to reiterate.

My words are my own and are NOT approved or sanctioned by AMK as they were never sanctioned previously. Anything I have ever said I said because I felt like it and that's that!

You know, I was happy to join AMK because they are a company who wanted to get involved in the scene and get modellers to help with projects, to ensure that everyone had access to the manufacturer and parts where needed. I am proud to say we were instrumental in changing some of the face of model companies into becoming more transparent and approachable. It is just a shame that some of you abused this and effectively lambasted us to the piint of no return.

You have no idea how difficult it is to read negativity daily when you are trying to change the face of a whole industry to make the modeller the leader in products and be part of the process.

I hope you are all proud.

For those who stuck with me through the horrible comments and needless agendas made for whatever reason, thank you from the bottom of my heart. I tried to help, I tired to assist you and tried to be approachable but answering over 700 emails and messages per day takes its toll.

I am happy that AMK will find a new representative in the western world whilst I continue to grown my own companies.

On 1/12/2020 at 5:05 PM, Tapchan said:

I quickly went to the part regarding aft fuselage and I'd rather trust to my own senses and what Zactoman provides rather than "to me it looks better that Tamiya" (and even Grumman I guess). Then I've not seen a word about incorrect position of IFR doors or weird details on engine nacelles in drawbacks sections, then saw some praising as "best F-14 with no doubt".

And then quickly rewind to the bottom, most valuable part:

"Sincere thanks to Sio SeiHoi, Martin Wilson, and Vicky in the front office at AMK (along with help from the great Scott Bricker) for the review sample."

I simply give no trust to sponsored reviews, they are not honest.

I have no idea who or what this is for clarity.
I / We always gave samples to people who asked and never had any say in what was written. Please do your research and ask anyone from the magazine fraternity.

Our caveat on supply was always to say - you write whatever you like we would just appreciate a right of reply. Nothing else so again, you make assumptions based on nothing except your own bad expectation or cynicism. 
Which eventually got to me you will be most pleased to hear. It's a shame that I couldn't be honest and transparent without someone calling foul.

Again, no axe to grind, it's you that have now lost out.

Well, we tried to be honest but this seems to have backfired because of the expectation that we would have supplied kits ensuring a positive review. Total rubbish!

On 1/14/2020 at 4:20 PM, madcop said:

Boeing fired Mr Muilenberg, and now Martin Wilson resigned from AMK. But Muilenburg got $62m in compensation and pension benefit. How much did AMK paid Martin Wilson to resign ? 100 boxes of F-14D ?

"He is too busy with his own business, and has no extra time for the heavy work for AMK." sounds a little bit like a Pravda official announcement ! 😜

Nothing and I am English and proud by the way!

23 minutes ago, Martin @ AMK Models said:

I have no idea who or what this is for clarity.
I / We always gave samples to people who asked and never had any say in what was written. Please do your research and ask anyone from the magazine fraternity.

Our caveat on supply was always to say - you write whatever you like we would just appreciate a right of reply. Nothing else so again, you make assumptions based on nothing except your own bad expectation or cynicism. 
Which eventually got to me you will be most pleased to hear. It's a shame that I couldn't be honest and transparent without someone calling foul.

Again, no axe to grind, it's you that have now lost out.

Well, we tried to be honest but this seems to have backfired because of the expectation that we would have supplied kits ensuring a positive review. Total rubbish!

Well, nothing can be proven. The fact is - this person received free "sample" (bad word, can't actually say you get a sample if you receive complete product, we could call it sample if he would have to send it back after review or make a giveaway) and it's review is completely devoid of any kind of negative points. I did not blamed you for paying for positive review. What I've said is this is sponsored review - giving somebody a free "sample" kit is in fact sponsoring him a kit. 

Review, as said before, is completely missing all flaws that were mentioned and proven here before. Maybe a person reviewing it does not know arc and subject of the kit any good? Maybe, but still what I said is that's just a rubbish as a review then.

Edited by Tapchan

Never sponsored any review or paid for a review. Not once, not ever.
Anything written is entirely the writers view and that's that.

Free samples as you call them are exactly that. Every magazine or reviewer gets a sample of a pre production product hence some of the time the final item is not in their hands.

But who cares anymore? Facts are not important it seems.

If it's a rubbish review then that's their look out. You either follow them or not it is up to the reader to decide.

I don't speak for AMK anymore so I can now tell the truth and the truth is that we never, not once gave a sample away expecting anything at all.

Edited by Martin @ AMK Models
fat finger spelling

Oh and I don't need to prove anything. I am happy with what I have written and sleep well at night.

I tell the truth and having served as a police detective for 20 years my personal integrity is worth to me than any model company or model forum!

Those that have actually met me at Telford or at model meetings here in the UK or Malaysia will attest to that I am sure.

45 minutes ago, Martin @ AMK Models said:

I know Terry Chan from Hazmat and what you might not know is that he is ex Chinese Secret Service - or so he told me.

So I would be more than careful what you say about that person or company. IF he is to be believed..

I always thought being in an organization like Secret Service was a lot like Fight Club. And we all know the First (and Second) Rule about Fight Club.

How do I know this?   Sorry I can’t talk about that ...

Not even asking you to prove anything. 

Can you tell me what differs pre-production product from final product in case of AMK F-14? As far as I know EARLY-production (not pre-) that were sent to first reviewers did not contain instruction book, which is clearly included in this review. Also, those early kits were signed on 28-08, month before the one in mentioned review. End of september was when many of regular customers have their boxes signed. This guy just received a free kit with all parts included and fully ready to construction.

1 hour ago, Martin @ AMK Models said:

Oh and I don't need to prove anything. I am happy with what I have written and sleep well at night.

I tell the truth and having served as a police detective for 20 years my personal integrity is worth to me than any model company or model forum!

Those that have actually met me at Telford or at model meetings here in the UK or Malaysia will attest to that I am sure.

Word!

1 hour ago, Tapchan said:

Not even asking you to prove anything. 

Can you tell me what differs pre-production product from final product in case of AMK F-14? As far as I know EARLY-production (not pre-) that were sent to first reviewers did not contain instruction book, which is clearly included in this review. Also, those early kits were signed on 28-08, month before the one in mentioned review. End of september was when many of regular customers have their boxes signed. This guy just received a free kit with all parts included and fully ready to construction.

There are always different level of samples.

Pre production - alpha - fitting and honing of details and issues 

Pre production - beta - fitting and help with construction maybe

Blah blah blah

Pre production samples - sometimes fresh from x type mold usually no instructions or decals or box

and so it goes on until the company is confident with the 'final product' - even then, with reported issues there are changes to be made

Then decal selection and choice of producer as in this case..

The instructions are drawn and translated or corrected in various versions.

This takes an age anyway.

Final plastic is never really signed off until reviews from first production samples are sent, pre productions samples and the final samples which include everything but still need some work.

This is why no decent company ever gives a sample out and demands a good review.

I always said, please give me a say in the reply so we had a comment on record rather than reply on the review of something that would never see the real light of day.

A kit goes though tens or even hundreds of iterations, not one.

Depending on when the sample is produced, this effects the final view of course.

in the main, AMK was always happy to deliver samples at all stages. Maybe this was a mistake BUT in their defence, they were always wanting honest reviews in improving the product not asking for defamation as has been the obvious case. The modeller has now lost out clear and simple I am afraid. Now it is firmly in hands of the east.

spelling correction

Lets not forget AMK was one of the first, if not the first, to encourage aftermarket companies like Furball Decals to assist with production kits. This was the ethos of AMK under my tenure.

Ammo and AK Interactive followed us with Takom, Trumpeter and others. Fact.

That's gone now so most decals will be designed and produced in China I can only assume. Who lost out?

We had arrangement with others who now will likely not get the chance to finish.

Jake Melampy at Reid Air

Brian at Fightertown

Dave Roof at Leathernecks and many more projects to come in the future.

Furball Decals was only one of many I was engaging with to improve the economy abilities and exposure of western cottage industries.
Now this has ended with thanks to those who worked against it, well done to you.

Just goes to show that you never know what's going on in the background to try and make lives easier.

Maybe you will think twice before posting rubbish and 'opinions' online.

1 hour ago, habu2 said:

I always thought being in an organization like Secret Service was a lot like Fight Club. And we all know the First (and Second) Rule about Fight Club.

How do I know this?   Sorry I can’t talk about that ...

Totally agree but when you are shown ID of someone in a specific uniform it adds to the gravitas.

I can absolutely tell you that Terry is Chinese 'Secret Service'. I no longer care because he has no hold over me.

As I say, I no longer speak for or are associated with AMK in any way so my views and opinions are mine alone and not of the company or of my friend SeiHoi Sio. My posts from January and byond should not be associated with AMK in any way, shape or form.

As soon as I can have my name changed I will do just that. BUT I prefer you know the truth as opposed to rumours and lies.

As I have already said, AMK and I parted company in good terms and I absolutely support them in every way as a company that has always tried to be honest and deliver for modellers.

I have no bad feeling towards anyone in AMK and left of my own accord. If you don't like it or don't believe it, check the result sof my own business with now 98% UK railways, 70% Nordic airports and customers across the USA, Australia and EU. I simply don't have time for model planes.

My interest has moved to 1/35 dioramas because of my eyes...............simple.

Edit: This said, if I suddenly disappear then you know who to blame haha.

34 minutes ago, Martin @ AMK Models said:

Lets not forget AMK was one of the first, if not the first, to encourage aftermarket companies like Furball Decals to assist with production kits.

KittyHawk began working with and using decals from Werner's Wings before you guys.

Martin, hello again my friend! I am happy to hear that your businesses are doing well! I am also glad that you attempted to set the record straight, but sadly there are a few here that will only attack you for that effort. If you are attacked for those comments, I think you already know why as you so aptly put it thusly; "I can only assume that there are agendas at play here.."

Do you know anything more about the Annetra Mi-17? Is it still on the way?

Thanks my friend and great to see you healthy and in good spirits despite your numerous detractors.

Rick

3 hours ago, Tapchan said:

Review, as said before, is completely missing all flaws that were mentioned and proven here before. Maybe a person reviewing it does not know arc and subject of the kit any good? Maybe, but still what I said is that's just a rubbish as a review then.

I am just thinking that issues may not be mentioned because some of those "proven flaws" are just not there?

You can trust or not, your choose. And most of us trust our own eyes. I feel sorry for those that do not have the model, read whatever, and at the end have no idea if they should buy this kit or not lol

1 hour ago, Martin @ AMK Models said:

Jake

Dave

Geoff

Brian

You guys here? Is this true or not?

Yes, it is. However, Kinetic was actually one of the first to work with aftermarket decal companies. Fightertown and CrossDelta to be exact. I also did decal art for Zoukei-Mura several years ago. 

1 hour ago, Whiskey said:

KittyHawk began working with and using decals from Werner's Wings before you guys.

I don't believe that is 100% accurate. I might be mistaken, but I think Floyd just helped with research, but I don't think WW actually provided art or the decals themselves. As a caveat, I could be completely wrong on this one, this is just what I've gathered from what I've read/seen.