ARC Discussion Forums
Jennings

AMK 1/48 F-14!!!

So, how many of you guys are going to buy the new Heatblur Simultions F14 for DCS? Been looking at the videos on youtube of its impending release, and I think I will have to get back into flightsims just for this...

4 hours ago, galfa said:

So, what takeaways?

- Accuracy wise at least the rear fuselage of this kit is flawed.

As a result, if shape accuracy is important for you, before buying this kit think twice.

There is absolutely no proof of this whatsoever and your matter of fact statement is the only thing that is flawed. Beside that, with knowledge of your ridiculous expectations of what makes a good kit, some of us can't take anything you say about accuracy seriously.

6 hours ago, galfa said:

After 118 pages, here we are again, it is accuracy vs inaccuracy, a kind of debate that goes on forever.

What it is really interesting is that, as soon as dubts were raised, we had no more pics of this scale model. Please note that the sprues are already available to more than one member of this forum, and just one pic would be enough to show that the kit if fine.

So, what takeaways?

- No new pics will be posted because it would affect the market.

As a result, if shape accuracy is important for you, before buying this kit think twice.

Don't forget the overly-raised slimelights on the forward fuselage. Granted, that particular flaw can be rectified fairly easily.

There are probably a dozen or so people who take this thread seriously,  the rest of us are just watching a train wreck.  😁

Geoff M

8 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

There is absolutely no proof of this whatsoever and your matter of fact statement is the only thing that is flawed. Beside that, with knowledge of your ridiculous expectations of what makes a good kit, some of us can't take anything you say about accuracy seriously.

Very, very interesting. Why you didn't quote me entirely ?

So, what takeaways?

- No new pics will be posted because it would affect the market.

As a result, if shape accuracy is important for you, before buying this kit think twice.

14 hours ago, galfa said:

After 118 pages, here we are again, it is accuracy vs inaccuracy, a kind of debate that goes on forever.

What it is really interesting is that, as soon as dubts were raised, we had no more pics of this scale model. Please note that the sprues are already available to more than one member of this forum, and just one pic would be enough to show that the kit if fine.

So, what takeaways?

- No new pics will be posted because it would affect the market.

Your post tells me all is good with the kit, as some of us read you like a book!

Glt

9 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Plus eighty six on that statement!!!!!!!

Gary

17 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Exactly. 👍👍

8 hours ago, galfa said:

Very, very interesting. Why you didn't quote me entirely ?

So, what takeaways?

- No new pics will be posted because it would affect the market.

As a result, if shape accuracy is important for you, before buying this kit think twice.

No. You are basing it on one (1) picture taken in terrible light conditions and literally ignoring every other sprue shot or CAD's.

14500433_676630325835131_394264511267101

18209280_793667364131426_790520035829088

18209081_793667470798082_322225304270368

15110848_707029502795213_619388493591908

Unless you think that magically CAD changed for worse in that one area pretty much overnight right before tooling, the only logical answer would otherwise be bad lightning and you jumping the gun.

Berkut and Dave, just trying to clarify what I think Mstor is saying, is that the on the rear fuselage of the actual plane, above the rear portion of the stab, isn't as smooth of a curve as it would initially seem. It appears to have a sort of very subtle 'double bump' before terminating at the afterburner. After much looking at the pictures, it appears that he is right. Having said that, this shape is extremely, I mean extremely subtle. To the point where it is well within my threshold of things that do not bother me, and I am one of those f 14 nuts...nearly as bad as darren and Manuel lol! I guess also that the 'face' means more than the 'derriere' to most of us.....

Point being that on balance, I still feel that this kit is definitely the one for me. 

Edited by dryguy

Just now, Petarvu said:

:rofl:

19 hours ago, Geoff M said:

There are probably a dozen or so people who take this thread seriously,  the rest of us are just watching a train wreck.  😁

Geoff M

Looks great. 

What's next? An accurate Su-15? Liked their MiG-31 a lot.

Tony 

26 minutes ago, tony.t said:

Looks great. 

What's next? An accurate Su-15? Liked their MiG-31 a lot.

Tony 

An accurate Su-15 would be welcome, in 1/48th scale of course.

3 hours ago, dryguy said:

Berkut and Dave, just trying to clarify what I think Mstor is saying, is that the on the rear fuselage of the actual plane, above the rear portion of the stab, isn't as smooth of a curve as it would initially seem. It appears to have a sort of very subtle 'double bump' before terminating at the afterburner. After much looking at the pictures, it appears that he is right. Having said that, this shape is extremely, I mean extremely subtle. To the point where it is well within my threshold of things that do not bother me, and I am one of those f 14 nuts...nearly as bad as darren and Manuel lol! I guess also that the 'face' means more than the 'derriere' to most of us.....

Point being that on balance, I still feel that this kit is definitely the one for me. 

I cant really comment on any other potential issues in that area as i am focusing on the original "issue" brought up by GunsightOne. Anything beyond that i dont know anything about and cant/dont comment on anyway.      

I think we've beaten this horse to a pulp. The ball is in AMK's court. Let's wait and see what they come up with as, without further photos or someone getting there hands on plastic, we are at an impasse.

Where is some input from AMK? Their last "official" post re: the F-14D was Sept 24 on the Facebook AMK fan club page and it was the pic of all the sprues laid out. They've been awfully silent of late. :dontknow:

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

Where is some input from AMK? ... They've been awfully silent of late. :dontknow:

That's a good thing in my book.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:57 AM, Darren Roberts said:

SOAB: Did you hear that they released a new Farley Fruitbat? Finally! I've wanted one for years now.

RC: I hope they got the ventral doohickey vent under the left starboard winglet correct.

SOAB: They just released pictures of test shots.

RC: I just looked at the pictures. What a POS. The ventral doohickey vent is totally butchered. It's a clear 3mm too far forward. Not only that, but the transfluxer is a complete joke. I mean, what company could screw that up? It's obvious they didn't do their research. It's there for all to see! Into the bin this crap goes!

SOAB: You sound like a Star Trek geek. Who cares what's wrong with it. Just be happy a company actually produced a Farley Fruitbat. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Just don't complain about it.

I think that in this example SOAB is being just that. Perhaps he's preordered, and he's bothered to have to wait a lifetime for the kit to be released (mind you; the manufacturor is postponing the release date on and on, time and time again). Top that off; the manufacturor posts pictures of the proposed kit which show that the ventral doohickey vent is totally butchered and it's a clear 3mm too far forward. The same as the transfluxer, which is a complete joke. SOAB is frustrated that he's already paid top-notch quid for a kit which not only is yet to be released, but also, is going to be inaccurate right from the start. If it were just for the ventral doohickey that needs to be relocated 3mm backwards, but it's the transfluxer as well...!!! 

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:57 AM, Darren Roberts said:

SUAB: Did you hear that they released a new Farley Fruitbat? Finally! I've wanted one for years now.

RC: Interesting. I know a bit about this subject. Have pictures been posted yet?

SUAB: Yes they have.

RC: I took a look. It appears the ventral doohickey vent under the starboard winglet might be misplaced, but not by much. Maybe 3mm or so. You might also be interested to know that the transfluxer seems to be from the Mk. 1, while this is a Mk. 3. It's a small difference, but it's noticeable if you're familiar with the subject.

SUAB: Thanks for the info. The ventral doohickey vent doesn't bother me too much. I didn't know about the transfluxer. Is there a way to fix it?

RC: If you cut off 2mm from the back end, that should get you close. Or you could ask that guy at Steel Beach to do a resin piece, but he's a slacker and never gets anything done.

Here SUAB has clearly received the kit already that the manufacturor's been promising almost three years ago, and he's able to look for himself - up closeand personal - what the issues in the kit are like. Also, perhaps SUAB has got a surplus Mk.3 transfluxer at hand from a kit leftover to fix the issue which was commented on previously. No big deal. Steel Beach may have a correction for it.

As to the "What's next?"questions, AMK has already stated that they are working on a 1/48 Mil 8/17 kit, doing the molds for a European company that will market it......

Edited by RCAFFAN

3 hours ago, RCAFFAN said:

As to the "What's next?"questions, AMK has already stated that they are working on a 1/48 Mil 8/17 kit, doing the molds for a European company that will market it......

Where did you hear/see that? I don't remember AMK mentioning it here?

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

It is in there somewhere but I am not going to go through 100+ pages looking for it...

Look here instead:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234989250-148-mil-mi-17-mi-8mt-hip-by-annetra/

Bruce

P.S. As you can see from the dates, they are years behind on this one too...

Edited by RCAFFAN