1 hour ago, Atlis said:

At least sign my photos...

Thanks for posting those!

Any chance you could get more shots showing the windscreen? Possibly from multiple angles? Particularly showing the frames on the front corners.

:cheers:

22 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Judging by the frosted canopy parts, this looks like it is still test shots?

and it doesn't look like they have done much actual work on the kit

Just now, dylan said:

and it doesn't look like they have done much actual work on the kit

Yea, hard to tell, just a bunch of sprues, nothing assembled. If they are really working on this, trying to improve it, I would think they would wait until they are ready to show finished product. Especially after all the problems they ran into earlier with showing their work. They know, or should know, what the problems were with the early moldings. No reason to show incomplete work.

But, what do I know :dontknow:

5 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Yea, hard to tell, just a bunch of sprues, nothing assembled. If they are really working on this, trying to improve it, I would think they would wait until they are ready to show finished product. Especially after all the problems they ran into earlier with showing their work. They know, or should know, what the problems were with the early moldings. No reason to show incomplete work.

But, what do I know :dontknow:

I would think that if they had addressed the issues previously pointed out,that they would be going out of their way to show us.

just looking at the picture Atlis posted and this one posted by AMK 13 months ago, I don't see much difference.

29512584_953180261513468_804351127477818

hey I hope I am proven wrong, I hope this kit come out and is better than the Tamiya kit. but I also hope that I win the lottery .

1 hour ago, zerosystem said:

Looks like the ifr probe position has been adjusted. 

compare with the older picture here. the bottom of the IFR probe bay lines up with the kink in the radome.

looking at the pictures posted from Moson, I don't think they have addressed that one either.

45822193_1283670821774777_91366475504078

46 minutes ago, dylan said:

compare with the older picture here. the bottom of the IFR probe bay lines up with the kink in the radome.

looking at the pictures posted from Moson, I don't think they have addressed that one either.

45822193_1283670821774777_91366475504078

Would have to agree. The whole area around and below the IFR has the panels all messed up.

49 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Would have to agree. The whole area around and below the IFR has the panels all messed up.

The BDR panels below the forward slime light add character.

Panel lines look terrible.

Im exceptionally disapointed with this.

I mean its not just average its worse than the Mig-31.

We all said to be even close to Tamiya it would need to be better with much finer panel lines than the 32..it looks far worse.

Ill grab one...if it had been close i would grab 5-6...sorry AMK ill be getting 5-6 Great Wall kits to go with my 6 Tamiya F-14’s.

Disapointed to say the least as from an engineering view it looks solid but those panel lines are huge...wtf...

Just let it be as it is. AMK seem not to be any good when it comes to fixing errors. They are neither eager to fix the issues nor appreciate any meritoric comments in this matter.

IMHO would be the best if they just don't bother with all this anymore but instead just release the model whether it is good or not - and the market which is getting full of Tomcats (before Top Gun 2 premiere) will verify whether the kit is worth the money, time and space on shelf/ in storage.

The story of this model becomes deceptively similar to "The Bold and the Beautiful".

10 hours ago, Zactoman said:

The BDR panels below the forward slime light add character.

They are so nice, aren't they?

In case anyone cares, here a link to a photo (can't link direct due to copyright issues) that will illustrate what the panels around the IFR probe should look like. The AMK kit's panels are way off. Don't know if the IFR probe is off because the panels are wrong or the panels are wrong because the IFR probe is in the wrong place. Anyway, just compare the ones on the kit to those on this pic.

https://flic.kr/p/2fCqMvb

6 hours ago, Mstor said:

In case anyone cares, here a link to a photo (can't link direct due to copyright issues) that will illustrate what the panels around the IFR probe should look like.

Here's a nice pic that shows the area:

US_Navy_030408-N-7986B-005_F-14_Tomcat_a

From the test shots, they've clearly gone with a four-part slide mold for the (one piece) canopy, rather than the standard three-part mold.  So instead of having a single seam line down the middle of the canopy, there are two lines, at ~10 and 2 o'clock, meaning the weird line on the built display model's canopy isn't just a one-off.

Huh.

I’m a lot more excited to see the GWH kit than the AMK kit.  GWH’s panel line and fastener detail is light years better than anything AMK has done to date.  And GWH is likely to have theirs on the market before AMK does.

Edited by Sleepy
23 hours ago, dehowie said:

Panel lines look terrible.

Im exceptionally disapointed with this.

I mean its not just average its worse than the Mig-31.

We all said to be even close to Tamiya it would need to be better with much finer panel lines than the 32..it looks far worse.

Ill grab one...if it had been close i would grab 5-6...sorry AMK ill be getting 5-6 Great Wall kits to go with my 6 Tamiya F-14’s.

Disapointed to say the least as from an engineering view it looks solid but those panel lines are huge...wtf...

Panel lines are acually fine in reality, if anything, this isn't a reason to complain. They actually look better than those I have seen on a Eday 2018 version. Can't comment on their accuracy. And they are much finer than those on MiG-31.

A lot of questions were asked about this kit. So lets start here with this years Moson show. Early on Saturday morning I went to see the stand while there is no crowd and there are kits in stock.

It is possible that e shops had the weapons set In Stock but the Moson show was the first opportunity for people to actually buy it and hold it in their hands.

Here is the set. What is inside was discussed before and shown several times so there is no point in getting into that, anyway one can see it on the presentation board.

HGW had on sale the Wet Transfers to go with this set. 

CvZrqEN.jpg

FKJ0J25.jpg

Can we agree that the weapons set is out and produced? The reallity of this was also questions several times. Hope that the photos are a form of answer. 

Some parts of the F-14 kit were also shown.

Now, I am far from an expert of this bird although I have a special love for it from the first moment I have seen it in England at a show in late 1970’s. Seen it, taken photos of it through out the years since then and even had the chance to see / take pictures of it during real life missions on board JFK in 2002. That was a real close up opportunity to see it, hear it, touch it . . .

Here is the box top.

AQMij0g.jpg 

Also I have the AMK MiG-31 kit where I always had a problem with the heavy panel lines and rivets. Here at Moson both kits were on the stand and it was easy to compare them. The lines are completely different, very nice and fine on the AMK Tomcat.

I am sure the next thing will be that people will start complaining that the lines are too fine and after layers of paint they disappear. Hope we will not reach this low!!!

oWgzNmj.jpg

hU69dpq.jpg

As to the right positioning of panels I could not comment, never went that deep into it. Maybe one day if I will build a Cat kit . . .

More from Moson in a short showing of the Annetra Mi-17, Eduard Mustang and of course the Modelsvit MiG-21F-13 but that is another story and on another forum. See you there soon.

Best regards

Gabor   

3 hours ago, shion said:

Thank you for the pics.

So they didn't change the iFR doors placement at all.  (Once the doors are on you won't be able to tell.)

GPS antenna is still oversized. (Maybe a little, but nothing that's horrible. It's easily removed and replaced if one sees fit.)

Tarps pod aft still too pointy. (95% of the builds won't use the TARPS pod, so it's really a non-issue.)

And suprise: no aft fuselage build or parts. (The picture above shows the upper aft fuselage. I think you mean no shots of the lower aft fuselage.)

2 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

"(Once the doors are on you won't be able to tell.)  "

That is unless you're building one of the birds shown above in Zacto's post with the doors removed. And/or you're one of those people that look at panel lines a lot.

"95% of the builds won't use the TARPS pod, so it's really a non-issue"

Seems like a rather odd defense of a model to say that most people won't use a part that's wrong. A non-issue is a very subjective stance, apparently it's an issue to some, perhaps not others. Unless of course you meant to say it's a non-issue for you. In that case, good deal.

1 hour ago, niart17 said:

That is unless you're building one of the birds shown above in Zacto's post with the doors removed. And/or you're one of those people that look at panel lines a lot.

"95% of the builds won't use the TARPS pod, so it's really a non-issue"

Seems like a rather odd defense of a model to say that most people won't use a part that's wrong. A non-issue is a very subjective stance, apparently it's an issue to some, perhaps not others. Unless of course you meant to say it's a non-issue for you. In that case, good deal.

I'm not defending the model at all. It is what it is. I'm merely stating a fact that from a production/cost point of view, they aren't going to change all of the listed items because only a very small minority of builders will really care about it. There are errors with every kit released. There are things that could have been done better with every kit released. I can knitpick the Tamiya kit like you wouldn't believe. I never expected  AMK to change anything because of above stated reasons. It should surprise no one that it's not been changed. The reason this has blown up in AMK's face is because they made the claim this would be the best Tomcat ever and then kept delaying. If they simply released it, people would have been much more forgiving and much happier with the final result. They would have noted the errors and moved on. Look at the Academy F-4. There are a myriad of errors, but you don't see 173 pages hashing it out over and over again. People still think it's a decent kit, even with the errors. That's what the AMK Tomcat should have been. Alas, we have this thread that never ends...

2 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

I'm not defending the model at all. It is what it is. I'm merely stating a fact that from a production/cost point of view, they aren't going to change all of the listed items because only a very small minority of builders will really care about it. There are errors with every kit released. There are things that could have been done better with every kit released. I can knitpick the Tamiya kit like you wouldn't believe. I never expected  AMK to change anything because of above stated reasons. It should surprise no one that it's not been changed. The reason this has blown up in AMK's face is because they made the claim this would be the best Tomcat ever and then kept delaying. If they simply released it, people would have been much more forgiving and much happier with the final result. They would have noted the errors and moved on. Look at the Academy F-4. There are a myriad of errors, but you don't see 173 pages hashing it out over and over again. People still think it's a decent kit, even with the errors. That's what the AMK Tomcat should have been. Alas, we have this thread that never ends...

I'm with you man and you made a great point re: TARPS pod, literally let's get a grip.

At the end of the day, it's just plastic that helps pass time. Am definitely looking forward to it being released!