Phil @Flory Models told me I could always arm the AMK -14D version in a pure air-to-air intercept configuration; this is, without the JDAMs and GBUs and that. Really?

So I might buy the AMK kit after all. I really dig what they did on the wings; especially, the spoilers.

39 minutes ago, Doppelgänger said:

Phil @Flory Models told me I could always arm the AMK -14D version in a pure air-to-air intercept configuration; this is, without the JDAMs and GBUs and that. Really?

So I might buy the AMK kit after all. I really dig what they did on the wings; especially, the spoilers.

Since they will be including the three missile types and the appropriate pylons, then yes. There was never a point where the F-14 became fully precision strike capable yet could not be set up for strict air to air. 

Here’s my thought about the possible shape issue:

A person designing this model in CAD would start with some sort of technical drawings, hopefully from the manufacturer or at least from a respected source. When they designed the stabilator, they would want the top view to match the drawing: leading and trailing edge sweep angle, curvature of the end cap, panel lines, and contour of the side that meets the fuselage. IF this contour did not match the drawing, they would correct it.

NOW – when the fuselage was created in CAD, they would make sure the contours of the fuselage and stabilator matched. So this leads me to think that the contour of the AMK fuselage when viewed from directly overhead is probably accurate. What may be causing some strangeness in the photos is the curvature from the fuselage side up to the top where the rudders attach. On the AMK model, this may be a sharper crease than it should be, which would create some weirdness. Adding to the 

Really, this is all beside the point for me. I’m looking forward to posing one in landing configuration with everything hanging out! 

2 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

During the opening night of Operation Iraqi Freedom at least two flights of F-14D's from VF-2 were loaded out in the old school air to air configuration. 

42 minutes ago, andrew.deboer said:

Here’s my thought about the possible shape issue:

A person designing this model in CAD would start with some sort of technical drawings, hopefully from the manufacturer or at least from a respected source. When they designed the stabilator, they would want the top view to match the drawing: leading and trailing edge sweep angle, curvature of the end cap, panel lines, and contour of the side that meets the fuselage. IF this contour did not match the drawing, they would correct it.

NOW – when the fuselage was created in CAD, they would make sure the contours of the fuselage and stabilator matched. So this leads me to think that the contour of the AMK fuselage when viewed from directly overhead is probably accurate. What may be causing some strangeness in the photos is the curvature from the fuselage side up to the top where the rudders attach. On the AMK model, this may be a sharper crease than it should be, which would create some weirdness. Adding to the 

Really, this is all beside the point for me. I’m looking forward to posing one in landing configuration with everything hanging out! 

I agree 100%. I bet from top it is correct. It has a "sharper" edge.  

I am excited. AMK Mig-31 is a very nice model, if F-14 is anything similar it will be a treat. Looking for the inbox reviews. 

18 minutes ago, foxmulder_ms said:

On the AMK model, this may be a sharper crease than it should be, which would create some weirdness.

This may be true, but it is not what is making it look more curved. As delide pointed out on page 120 and I have repeated, there is an part of that edge that should be straight, not curved. From the stabilizer pivot point to a spot a little before the air bags the edge should be straight. On the AMK model appears to be a continuous curve. This causes the whole back end to look exaggeratedly curved.

11 minutes ago, Mstor said:

This may be true, but it is not what is making it look more curved. As delide pointed out on page 120 and I have repeated, there is an part of that edge that should be straight, not curved. From the stabilizer pivot point to a spot a little before the air bags the edge should be straight. On the AMK model appears to be a continuous curve. This causes the whole back end to look exaggeratedly curved.

When you spot it, you see it everytime.

Here, the bottom fuselage got it too.

39588991_1066796116818548_91811331595074

21 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

It appears that the shape is a bit off, but it does look like most of it is in the inflatable bag area. That means, at least for me, I'll never see it because I'll have the wings swept. 😁

Same here, but for that matter I buy Tamiya Tomcat!!! 

Find a photo of the Tamiya lower fuselage. I googled the HyperScale review of the test shot.

https://goo.gl/images/2tAvt3

The curvature of the Tamiya and AMK fuselages are quite similar. And I would also bet that the stabilators will be virtually identical. The photo of Christine above shows what I believe to be the root of most of this angst: the curve of the top edge can be seen in the open panel, and AMK’s looks to be too sharp. I look forward to comparing them in person, and building both! Hey, AMK, hook a brother up and send me a review copy! 

Edited by andrew.deboer
6 hours ago, andrew.deboer said:

Since they will be including the three missile types and the appropriate pylons, then yes. There was never a point where the F-14 became fully precision strike capable yet could not be set up for strict air to air. 

Thanks, Andrew! I wasn't quite sure about that fact regarding the D version of the Tomcat. Will have some surplus rear pallets if you want them. :coolio:

5 hours ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

During the opening night of Operation Iraqi Freedom at least two flights of F-14D's from VF-2 were loaded out in the old school air to air configuration. 

Bounty Hunters, yeah! :punk: Thanks, Jonah! It's one pallet for you and the other one for Andrew now.

You fellas think Martin will ever reply concerning this curvature thing on the AMK kit...?

Cheers,

Onigiri 

3 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

You fellas think Martin will ever reply concerning this curvature thing on the AMK kit...?

Cheers,

Onigiri 

Not to bag on Martin, who is likely just the messenger, but (proper) transparency is a lost art. There might be an inbound, canned response now that they've missed their most recent shipping date that neatly dodges the real concerns of everyone here, but I don't expect anything of substance

19 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

You all are vocal that AMK make a statement and provide proof. Martin did that a few pages back when he said that was an early test shot and the shape was fixed and is correct on the production model. 

brian 

Thanks Brian.

2 hours ago, IAGeezer said:
22 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

You all are vocal that AMK make a statement and provide proof. Martin did that a few pages back when he said that was an early test shot and the shape was fixed and is correct on the production model. 

brian 

Thanks Brian.

If they have indeed made corrections based on feedback from forums like this one, I would think that they would want to show us the corrections and get further feedback. Are we to take their word that the correction is made and all is fine now? I think many here have tried to make concise descriptions of problems that we see in what we have been shown to date. If they have in fact addressed these issues show us and let us make further analysis. If we have been mistaken in our perceptions, then why not show us and put our minds to rest.

I have high hopes for this kit. I would be more inclined to purchase it than the Tamiya kit simply based on the level of detail they have shown us thus far. Its just that AMK has done little to engender trust among the modeling community with their missed deadlines and lack of response to our inquiries.

2 hours ago, Mstor said:

If they have indeed made corrections based on feedback from forums like this one, I would think that they would want to show us the corrections and get further feedback. Are we to take their word that the correction is made and all is fine now? I think many here have tried to make concise descriptions of problems that we see in what we have been shown to date. If they have in fact addressed these issues show us and let us make further analysis. If we have been mistaken in our perceptions, then why not show us and put our minds to rest.

I have high hopes for this kit. I would be more inclined to purchase it than the Tamiya kit simply based on the level of detail they have shown us thus far. Its just that AMK has done little to engender trust among the modeling community with their missed deadlines and lack of response to our inquiries.

Hi Mstor,  You may be right but ,

Just in case, how did you do back in the 90s or even later ?  You had to trust them ...and only begin to moan as soon as you had opened the box. I think we have become a spoiled community !

I pre-ordered the kit in the first days , I knew what I was doing and the risk I was talking, and all what have happened here since that day won't change anything… I have to trust AMK and I still will , even if I'll have to resort to file, plastic card and filler on a spot or two… That's modelling after all !  I am just assuming the risk I took when pre-ordering.

And if I have to wait another 2 or 3 months … it does not matter to me … Even if they keep it shut….I've still l plenty of other things to do, much more important , that keeps me away of what must stay a Free Time Hobby !

Madcop  :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, madcop said:

Just in case, how did you do back in the 90s or even later ?  You had to trust them ...and only begin to moan as soon as you had opened the box. I think we have become a spoiled community !

I don't agree with that, cop. It's a whole new era now than it was back in the '90s, where manufacturers (like AMK) get feedback from customers while developing their kits. I think feedback is key to all those manufacturers who will care to listen to the way - or preferences - their customers are going. I don't think we can compare the '90s with today; I mean, everything changed with the Internet...

1 hour ago, Doppelgänger said:

I don't agree with that, cop. It's a whole new era now than it was back in the '90s, where manufacturers (like AMK) get feedback from customers while developing their kits. I think feedback is key to all those manufacturers who will care to listen to the way - or preferences - their customers are going. I don't think we can compare the '90s with today; I mean, everything changed with the Internet...

Took the words right out of my mouth :salute:

New days, new ways. As Doppelganger said, the Internet has changed the way business is done. Even back in the late '80s things were starting to change. I remember using the old Usenet and experiencing virtually instantaneous communication with people around the world. I remember posting in a Usenet group about wanting one of Revell's 1/32 F-14s with the VF-1 Wolfpack markings. An hour later I had a reply from Sweden and a few weeks later I had a nice big box arrive from Sweden. It was simply amazing to me how fast this all happened. Now we take it all for granted, but back then, such communication was unknown to most people.

Now, the expectations have changed. Customers no longer buy products without seeking reviews and comments from other customers on the Internet. Companies live or die by their reputation on the Internet.

AMK opened the door when they began posting pics of parts months ago. What did they think we would do? Did they not know we would turn a critical eye upon those photos and make comments about any perceived problems? No, they know what they were getting themselves into. If not, then they were plain foolish and I don't think that is the case.