3 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

Anyway, why would you say modellers at Britmodeller are not nearly making the fuss we're making on here regarding the AMK Tomcat thread...?

There's a thread on Z-5 that makes fun of everyone on this thread.

4 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

And, has anyone happened to notice how the rear flanks on Dylan's Tamiya F-14D look like from this angle? :hmmm:

That is an optical effect called perspective foreshortening. The length along the line of sight appears much shorter than the length crossing the line of sight. Humans are usually adept at factoring in that effect when judging shapes, meaning we don't collectively label Tamiya to be wrong from this perspective. AMK's pictures we have seen so far do not suffer from this effect due to the angle of the pics. Many of us think that AMK's, unlike Tamiya, looks wrong in that area, primarily due to the hard crease.

5 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

:woot.gif: Butt wait, Chris...? I can only figure Brittany Johnson would excel at that? :naughty:

Anyway, why would you say modellers at Britmodeller are not nearly making the fuss we're making on here regarding the AMK Tomcat thread...?

And, has anyone happened to notice how the rear flanks on Dylan's Tamiya F-14D look like from this angle? :hmmm:

DSC_0319-XL.jpg

Cheers,

Onigiri

For what it's worth, all the Tomcat kits I have handle this particularly area differently. I suppose it really depends on what reference material (or lack thereof) was used. Most kits look decent in plan view, but unless someone has access to actual cross-sections to map-out the exact curvatures, some variations are to be expected.

1 hour ago, andrew.deboer said:

Probably the one you posted in on Oct. 25, although I think about 1/3 of the threads on Z5 are somehow related to ARC..

And the other 2/3 are asinine political threads i assume.

2 hours ago, andrew.deboer said:

Probably the one you posted in on Oct. 25, although I think about 1/3 of the threads on Z5 are somehow related to ARC..

Z5 was created during the dark days as an Anti-ARC...

It actually was so bad for a while anything related to Z5 was auto-censored here. 

As one of the very many dual members, I feel that I should point out that that thread is NOT about this one. (I am actually something like a Septuple member, or maybe even more forums than that)

I guess it is okay to "take a shot at" something,,,,,,but, all that I ask is that the shot is actually aimed, not just shot gunned. Otherwise you get something like "Rex is a Z-5 member, taking pot shots at ARC,,,,,,I know, because I read it on Steel Navy, a long time Large Scale Planes member told me to go look at the post, posted on SN by a BritModeler."

7 hours ago, andrew.deboer said:

The thread I posted in was not about this thread and it was not making fun of "everyone in this thread" so Whisky is flat out lying.

If you would like to discuss what I posted you are more than welcome to go over to Z5 and we'll discuss this without the fear of anyone getting banned. If you guys want to start another ARC/Z5 war than that's on you but don't spread BS just for your sick entertainment.

7 hours ago, Rex said:

Otherwise you get something like "Rex is a Z-5 member, taking pot shots at ARC,,,,,,I know, because I read it on Steel Navy, a long time Large Scale Planes member told me to go look at the post, posted on SN by a BritModeler."

Now that's funny. Thanks Rex. I know you're being serious, but you've got to admit, that is rather amusing. Except for Z-5 I've been a member of all those forums.

3 hours ago, GW8345 said:

Is there a reason why you are spreading false information and trying to start another ARC/Z5 war?

1) Had and do not currently have any intention of starting any war or whatever that means.

2) I was not lying. After re-reading that particular item on Z-5 I understand that I was not completly accurate in my statement. That one only mentions this one, it wasn't entirely about here.

3) I only mentioned it following Doppelgänger's sarcastic comment about Britmodeller and assumed it was relevant.

4) Is there some kind of personal grudge you have against me or something? I ask because it just seems like no matter where I go and where I say anything you happen to be there to blast me on these forums?

My apologies to anyone if anything I've said has been perceived as offensive as I do not intend to do so. I'd like to just continue talking about models and airplanes if that's okay.

Edited by Whiskey

I did mean it as humor.

Glad you got a laugh out of it.

But, to say something serious,,,,,,there is so much cross-over that the odds are very good that there is at least one member of any other forum on all the forums that we visit.

I go where the info is good and useful,,,,,,or where questions are likely to get asked that I might be able to answer. Or read questions and other poster's answers that might teach me something. (sometimes, I make a mistake, and learn something in the corrections to my posts)

Please leave alone Z-5.

Calling AMK,

So far it seems that upper and lower rear fuselage, inflatable bags, and horizontal stabilizers are mishaped. Please post on this forums some pics to show that these parts are accurate.

6 hours ago, Whiskey said:

1) Had and do not currently have any intention of starting any war or whatever that means.

2) I was not lying. After re-reading that particular item on Z-5 I understand that I was not completly accurate in my statement. That one only mentions this one, it wasn't entirely about here.

3) I only mentioned it following Doppelgänger's sarcastic comment about Britmodeller and assumed it was relevant.

4) Is there some kind of personal grudge you have against me or something? I ask because it just seems like no matter where I go and where I say anything you happen to be there to blast me on these forums?

My apologies to anyone if anything I've said has been perceived as offensive as I do not intend to do so. I'd like to just continue talking about models and airplanes if that's okay.

Allow me to correct you (again).

The only mention of this thread in a thread over at Z5 was in a post YOU made, calling this thread stupid. No member over there made fun of  this thread or the members who posted in it except for you,, here's what you said;

I've had a few moments, especially with that stupid AMK F-14 thread, where I post in it only because I'm sick of something so insignificant getting so much attention and people acting like children about it.

BTW, that thread over at Z5 only has 20 posts and was about a totally different subject.

"not completly accurate", dude you were (and still are) flat out lying. This isn't some kind of grudge and I don't follow you around correcting you. I just happened to know the truth and call out BS when I see it. I'm starting to see a pattern with you, you like to post stuff that is inaccurate and when someone calls you out on it you get all defensive. The only time I corrected you was in this thread and the reason why is because you posted information that was inaccurate. Posting opinion is one thing but you post inaccurate information as if it was fact and to member's who don't know any better they will believe it, I'm just setting the record straight. Now, if you don't like me (or anyone else) correcting you then take some time, research the information you are about to post and make sure it's accurate.

Now, if you would like to continue to discuss the merits of the AMK F-14D kit please continue. I'm following this thread because I happen to know a little something about the subject aircraft (I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express) and will provide technical information when needed, I'm not following your around, got it.

For those who don't know, I am a retired USN Ordnanceman with over 35 years experience with USN/USMC ordnance and over 14 years experience working on F-14A/B/D Tomcats, plus experience working on the A-7E and F-18A-F and I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express a few times.

in the interest of science I decided to take a few snaps of the Tamiya kit at similar angles and (crappy) lighting.

I think that the AMK kit is the right shape. or at least close enough. now the big question, why total silence from AMK? I hope its because they are cranking out kits.

bFh0Jcu-L.jpg

DSC_0332-L.jpg

DSC_0334-L.jpg

Thank you, Dylan! :worship:

If I could ask just one more favor out of you, my mate, can you please take another picture of your Tamiya kit sitting in the exact angle that the AMK kit is? I guess I'm starting to see where the difference lies between the two kits' rear flanks. Think that if the AMK kit is wrong, the issue could be saved by resorting to an old Monogram kit.

7 hours ago, Whiskey said:

3) I only mentioned it following Doppelgänger's sarcastic comment about Britmodeller and assumed it was relevant

Just to clarify, Whiskey; I didn't make a sarcastic comment about Britmodeller; just a point to the fact that, even though that an AMK F-14D exists over there, modellers don't seem SO worried about this rear flank issue on the kit, and I wondered why. There are a lot of excellent modellers on BM - I'm well sure some of them ought to visit ARC - so I figured why any of them would question the shape of the AMK kit as we are doing here on ARC, making the thread reach to 127 pages like on here.

Also, I think Z5 is an excellent forum; not a member, but I regularly use to go there to check some builds - there's this modeller going by the nick John M - he blew me away with his Trumpeter 1/48 Su-24M build + the Komplekt Zip whole meal deal. I was beyond astonisment!

Now chillax, everybody.

Cheers,

Onigiri

1 hour ago, Doppelgänger said:

Thank you, Dylan! :worship:

If I could ask just one more favor out of you, my mate, can you please take another picture of your Tamiya kit sitting in the exact angle that the AMK kit is? I guess I'm starting to see where the difference lies between the two kits' rear flanks. Think that if the AMK kit is wrong, the issue could be saved by resorting to an old Monogram kit.

Onigiri

hows this?

bFh0Jcu-L.jpg

DSC_0335-L.jpg

Edited by dylan
19 minutes ago, dylan said:

hows this?

Great photos for comparison. Thanks. I still see the same problems I have spoken about previously.

We still need new input and photos from AMK. Nothing is conclusive with the photos we have.

2 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

even though that an AMK F-14D exists over there

Doppelgänger, do you mean that someone over there actually has one of the AMK kits, or just that they have an AMK F-14D thread? If the former, could you provide a link? If the latter, which is what I think you meant, then I already know about that one.

If you guys were interested in buying only pics of the kit I could understand your concern.

Until you have a kit in your hands it's all just a bunch of individual interpretations of a bunch of pics.

B*tch less, build more.