8 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

Worse still; AMK disregarded those big problems as being just an "optical illusion!" :woot.gif:

Yeah, that too... :doh:

1 hour ago, tony.t said:

There is a rumour of some kind of collaboration between AMK and GWH; with, say, AMK doing an F-14D and GWH an F-14A but the kits sharing a degree of common CAD and hard metal. Truth or myth?

Looking at the GWH CAD pics I'd say myth.
There are several differences, the most obvious being the canopy.
Note that GWH accurately includes a prominent bulge on the main gear door where AMK seems to include almost none. Also note on that same door that GWH has the small round panel near the edge where AMK has it centered.
There are also several small differences in the cockpit.
I'm looking forward to seeing more (and better resolution) CAD images of the GWH kit.

20 minutes ago, goondman said:

Over on the Facebook/AMK fan club page, Sio exclaimed yesterday, "On no! No matter what talk is wrong now. Better don't talk."

Translation? :hmmm:

:cheers:

1 hour ago, Zactoman said:

Yeah, that too... :doh:

Looking at the GWH CAD pics I'd say myth.
There are several differences, the most obvious being the canopy.
Note that GWH accurately includes a prominent bulge on the main gear door where AMK seems to include almost none. Also note on that same door that GWH has the small round panel near the edge where AMK has it centered.
There are also several small differences in the cockpit.
I'm looking forward to seeing more (and better resolution) CAD images of the GWH kit.

Probably something similar to what our beloved Sgt of the guard at Stalag 13 would say

On 2/3/2019 at 6:47 PM, goondman said:

Sio exclaimed yesterday, "On no! No matter what talk is wrong now. Better don't talk." 

That's funny; not only do AMK not communicate in an efficient way, but also when they do communicate, the conveyed message is either impossible to understand or ambiguous. Always get Yoda into mind whenever I read Sio's input on a forum... :rolleyes:

57 minutes ago, Doppelgänger said:

That's funny; not only do AMK not communicate in an efficient way, but also when they do communicate, the conveyed message is either impossible to understand or ambiguous. Always get Yoda into mind whenever I read Sio's input on a forum... :rolleyes:

Couldn't agree more...By the way: is Tamiya not issuing the 48 F-14A late and B this year 🙂 ....and perhaps in secret they work on the new 1/32 Tomcat since it will be present in Top Gun 2, I mean, Top Gun: Maverick (release in 2020 I believe)...What an incredible thread this. Reminds me of the song of Cypress Hill...Insane in the membrane:

On 2/3/2019 at 4:47 PM, goondman said:

Over on the Facebook/AMK fan club page, Sio exclaimed yesterday, "On no! No matter what talk is wrong now. Better don't talk." 

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1001193059922345?view=permalink&id=2556243084417327&anchor_composer=false&ref=m_notif&notif_t=group_highlights

On 2/3/2019 at 5:12 PM, Zactoman said:

2 hours ago, Doppelgänger said:

Haha, let me shed some light on this for those of you who still aren't sure.. I lovingly call this "Chinglish" and it's sort of the way that my parents speak (like a bad mash up of english and chinese).

Basically Sio is saying that "No matter what, anything they say will be wrong or criticized.. so it's better just to clam up".. I guess they feel that it's better just to stay mum on the subject and work on the mistakes rather than try to explain away the problem.

11 minutes ago, glorystomper said:

Haha, let me shed some light on this for those of you who still aren't sure.. I lovingly call this "Chinglish" and it's sort of the way that my parents speak (like a bad mash up of english and chinese).

Basically Sio is saying that "No matter what, anything they say will be wrong or criticized.. so it's better just to clam up".. I guess they feel that it's better just to stay mum on the subject and work on the mistakes rather than try to explain away the problem.

That makes sense. I mean, the translation, not their reasoning. There is a reason they were being criticized.

I agree with the double edges sword comment. THEY opened themselves up to criticism because they were asking for input. To me, that's a VERY good thing. But the problems seemed to be a little more than they at first were expecting or wanting to deal with. It's at that point that they could have taken a different route. I think they still can salvage their name and this model. But I don't know that silence is necessarily the best choice. Every new kit is going to have it's naysayers, that's part of the game. But once you've opened the curtains and shown everyone that it's just a man there pulling levers, it's hard to get them back to thinking he's the wizard. 

And just one more thing about the comments about the thread being shutdown for good and it serving no purpose. As Zacto said, the problems that they may or may not have fixed wouldn't have even been attempted to be fixed had it not been for threads such as this. I don't understand the crowd that says these threads shouldn't continue and just expect the kit to come out good or when it doesn't say "well, that's not going to sell, we voted with our wallets." I would think everyone would welcome the chance to have a product come out that's the best it could possibly be. So let's not ridicule those guys that are willing to research and compare red lines and what not. They are simply after the same things we all are.  A good kit to build and be proud of.

Bill

5 hours ago, modelingbob said:

And there is a reason they have clammed up also!!! Criticism is a double edged sword, it can help you out in some situations and it could cut you very badly in other situations. I don't blame AMK one bit for going the clamming up route. 

THIS +100

4 hours ago, niart17 said:

So let's not ridicule those guys that are willing to research and compare red lines and what not. They are simply after the same things we all are.  A good kit to build and be proud of.

I for one, NEVER ridiculed anyone, those that pointed out errors or not. What I take issue with is the "OMG, this error or that means the kit is completely and totally FUBAR" crowd and those DEMANDING that AMK answer their questions/pleas/entreaties/rants. Oh and by the way, most of those in this crowd have self-admittedly not even pre-ordered the kit and some have also admitted that they wouldn't purchase the kit even if it were perfect. In my opinion, they are just here to watch the train wreck and are getting a great thrill out of the schadenfreude, a few of them even mock someone who has always been honest about being a non-native English speaker. And if even a shred of this is accurate, pray tell how it even comes close to being productive???

Where AMK made their biggest mistake in my opinion, is to ever publically announce this kit (or any other for that matter). They should have emulated Tamiya and kept their plans close to their chest, only releasing the kit when they felt it was ready. If it were a disaster, then so be it, the cream shall rise and the rest shall not.

45 minutes ago, madmanrick said:

What I take issue with is the "OMG, this error or that means the kit is completely and totally FUBAR" crowd and those DEMANDING that AMK answer their questions/pleas/entreaties/rants.

Yes, that is a bit over the top, claiming the kit is unbuildable. Plus, anyone "demanding" an answer from AMK is being quite unrealistic. I know I have begged them for answers but I don't think I ever demanded them.

Despite all that has transpired, I truly hope they came come out with a good F-14D kit. I've stated in the past that I am not that big a D version fan, BUT the prospect of getting an F-14D with all the flaps and slats and spoilers hanging out sounds like fun to me and I would be very tempted to get the kit once it sees light of day. Whether that turns out to be the AMK kit or the GWH kit remains to be seen.

I think 2 biggest mistakes they made were:

1. Asking for pre-orders (money) from modelers to produce the plastics,  which is a very bad practice; which until now could not deliver.

2. Never-ending postponements of the kit hitting the shelves.

Edited by flybywire
54 minutes ago, flybywire said:

I think 2 biggest mistakes they made were:

1. Asking for pre-orders (money) from modelers to produce the plastics,  which is a very bad practice; which until now could not deliver.

I do have to say that Airfix does this as well regarding 1., but they deliver...

Edited by Timvkampen
clarification
4 hours ago, flybywire said:

In my work I am asked for completion times constantly. I learned very early in life to come up with realistic times. Never-ending postponements tells me some is not being honest or has not learned how to properly judge estimates.

3 hours ago, Timvkampen said:

I do have to say that Airfix does this as well regarding 1., but they deliver...

Airfix asked for ordering commitments from retailers to judge demand for some models. They have never, ever asked for pre-orders involving payment up front for anything. How retailers dealt with it was not in Airfix' control. Numerous Chinese companies use commitments from retailers before committing to tooling on various projects - but you never really hear about it, and nobody is asked for payment up front to fund the tooling.  

43 minutes ago, Dmanton300 said:

Airfix asked for ordering commitments from retailers to judge demand for some models. They have never, ever asked for pre-orders involving payment up front for anything. How retailers dealt with it was not in Airfix' control. Numerous Chinese companies use commitments from retailers before committing to tooling on various projects - but you never really hear about it, and nobody is asked for payment up front to fund the tooling.  

Makes sense. A company has to have a way to predict what their return on investment will be. Without information like that it is very difficult to judge the risk involved or determine how much to invest in product development. Just basic business common sense.