Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
Jennings

AMK 1/48 F-14!!!

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Mstor said:

 

Which thread is that? I don't remember there being a thread here about the GWH Su-35 started by any official representative of GWH. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

I think the thread being referred to is this one:

 

And you are correct the images posted within the above thread were NOT posted by GWH, but by a member of this site, who may or may not be involved in providing information to GWH to help produce the kit. The CAD images I saw did have the GWH imprint on them, but you can't assume because they are "official" GWH images, that they are posted by the company. Besides AMK (who haven't officially been here in months and months, unless they've been lurking), the only other "official" company rep I've seen posting here regularly is Raymond Chung from LM/Kinetic. Who by the way did make some comments early on in this thread in regards to the dispute that LM had with AMK, as I remember it it was back around page 75 or so of this thread. That dispute iirc involved distribution, not design/development/production per se. I do not remember any criticism of any particular kit AMK is or has produced, by anyone who has identified themselves as a rep for another model company on this forum. 

Edited by madmanrick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, delide said:

Hmmm, even when Zactoman said that he find the information useful to his work,  still the argument must go on, still he must be taught to know better, he must be taught to know what is truly useful??
 
For me the only negativity about this thread, is the lack of openness from some fellow modellers. What seems pointless to you, may not be pointless to me,  why is it so difficult to understand that people can have their own ways/views??

BTW my impression is that AMK shut down the interaction, because they suspected unfair criticism from competitors. I can not know if that’s true, but IMO it wouldn’t have gone half bad, if their work is actually great and somewhat on time, afterall GWH has a thread with CADs of their Su-35 on this forum too, if anything I’d say it boosted their sales as they intended, so what caused the different outcomes? (Or is there anything coming out?)

"For me the only negativity about this thread, is the lack of openness from some fellow modellers. What seems pointless to you, may not be pointless to me,  why is it so difficult to understand that people can have their own ways/views??" - We are exactly on the same level of thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 3:08 PM, foxmulder_ms said:

 

 

hahahahahaaaa, now, that is funny. 

Maybe it's just me, but I don't find jokes about the downfall of a small and enthusiastic company to be very funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, madmanrick said:

I think the thread being referred to is this one:

 

And you are correct the images posted within the above thread were NOT posted by GWH, but by a member of this site, who may or may not be involved in providing information to GWH to help produce the kit. The CAD images I saw did have the GWH imprint on them, but you can't assume because they are "official" GWH images, that they are posted by the company. Besides AMK (who haven't officially been here in months and months, unless they've been lurking), the only other "official" company rep I've seen posting here regularly is Raymond Chung from LM/Kinetic. Who by the way did make some comments early on in this thread in regards to the dispute that LM had with AMK, as I remember it it was back around page 75 or so of this thread. That dispute iirc involved distribution, not design/development/production per se. I do not remember any criticism of any particular kit AMK is or has produced, by anyone who has identified themselves as a rep for another model company on this forum. 

Thanks! I think it is too X-)

 

Sorry about the confusion, by "GWH has a thread about their kit" I meant we have a thread about GWH's kit, in my view it's similar regarding the posted pre-release infomation,  yet the reception was different. Official or not, that is hardly going to shield from criticisms, my point is that if you have truly done a great job, then you can remove a lot of ground for criticism. On the other hand if it all went wrong, it's unfair to blame it on the modelers, or even on the competitors, after all it could be a bigger blow if they got the plastic out first.

 

Yes, it's not a easy bussiness to make money at all. I hardly know a thing about the fallout between AMK and Raymond/Kinetic, but that seems to be a pity, as Raymond has been very sucessful at improving the design and quality of his kits, his team is also quite productive, AMK could certainly borrow a page or two from his book. But surely that was never meant to be, especially looking at the 1/48 Magister, Kfir, SUE, Kinetic released them all first I think, the Magister quite a bit earlier,  so I'd guess AMK wanted to do 1 on 1 anyway, unfortunately there is not going to be 2 winners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, delide said:

Sorry about the confusion, by "GWH has a thread about their kit" I meant we have a thread about GWH's kit

 

Ahhh, I thought you meant that GWH had some sort of thread that they started and participated in. Mea culpa. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the end of the day if the kit was at least close none of the discussion re its back end would be happening no matter who posted the photos.

AMK are obviously upset a competitor posted images of the kit but if the kit was actually correct and they did their job properly like the did on the Mig-31, who would even be talking about the issues?

We would be commenting on how many we had additionally ordered not on its pooched rear end.

Instead i bought another 3 Tamiya F-14D’s and hope the GWH kit is as good as their SU-35...

The big issue now is that if its released as is they will still sell quite a few to guys who want a cheaper option to Tamiya in the US.

But like Eduard found out with the 109 debacle the guys who buy multiples who love that aeroplane ie the F-14 your big customer base wont touch it.

I now own 6 Tamiya F-14A’s and 7 F-14D’s and i wont be buying 1 Amk kit if released as is.

The big F-14 lovers wont touch it...that will hurt them massively.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2019 at 5:10 AM, delide said:

Thanks! I think it is too X-)

 

Sorry about the confusion, by "GWH has a thread about their kit" I meant we have a thread about GWH's kit, in my view it's similar regarding the posted pre-release infomation,  yet the reception was different. Official or not, that is hardly going to shield from criticisms, my point is that if you have truly done a great job, then you can remove a lot of ground for criticism. On the other hand if it all went wrong, it's unfair to blame it on the modelers, or even on the competitors, after all it could be a bigger blow if they got the plastic out first.

 

Yes, it's not a easy bussiness to make money at all. I hardly know a thing about the fallout between AMK and Raymond/Kinetic, but that seems to be a pity, as Raymond has been very sucessful at improving the design and quality of his kits, his team is also quite productive, AMK could certainly borrow a page or two from his book. But surely that was never meant to be, especially looking at the 1/48 Magister, Kfir, SUE, Kinetic released them all first I think, the Magister quite a bit earlier,  so I'd guess AMK wanted to do 1 on 1 anyway, unfortunately there is not going to be 2 winners.

Well, it come to my name on it so I just put my 2 cents here.

 

During their hottest Mig-31 release, the supply was not reliable (something they said we could offer but it does not) and seems some hidden agenda was behind AMK and their distributor in HK, for the Mig-31 instance, we have to offer 200+ Su-33 to retain LuckyModel long established goodwill. Therefore, after consideration, we decide to depart from AMK and their distributor supply.

 

If we don't sell the item, we could lose some sales and profit. But working with the hyper-promoted, uncertain supply, it is better for us step back and let other company to offer the brand. 

 

As of now, seems my decision to drop out the brand does more good than harm for us, as we don't have to adjust the delivery time again and again and spending endless hours to reply the customer for something we are not sure. 

 

We are still helping some 'startup' brand like Bombcat to move their way up to the road, but it will totally depends on the solid information and activities. The coming IL-28 from Bombcat is another example of incubation program with our direct support and help. We make sure it reach the market on a reasonable time frame. 

 

This is not the first time we deal with this, if anyone "old" enough to learn the F-16 from Kinetic (where we still don't own it) back in 2007/8, LuckyModel list the pre-order for 6 months and then we announce the recall preorder program and the customer were well informed of refund or retain the pre-order. Finally, the kit release in 2008 Oct/Nov timeframe which we expected the release in April 2008. 

 

In my book, 3 words are essential : Honest, Integrity and Trust. 

Edited by Raymond Chung

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Raymond Chung said:

In my book, 3 words are essential : Honest, Integrity and Trust.

 

:clap2:Well said Raymond. An interesting peek into what goes on behind the scenes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"The big F-14 lovers wont touch it...that will hurt them massively."

 

Surely, sales will depend on the quality (or otherwise) of the kit once it is actually released, rather than on the thousands of comments made before that date........... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2019 at 10:46 PM, Mstor said:

 

Which thread is that? I don't remember there being a thread here about the GWH Su-35 started by any official representative of GWH. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

 

Would like to clear one point here.

 

I have to state: I am not an official representative of G.W.H

 

My work is completely freelance for many different companies all around the world, in some cases they are competitors, but this does not affect my work in any way. A 100% discretion is kept all the way through the projects (this is rule Number One for me!!!), any information is released only and when the producer company gives permission for it! People do ask me what is in the making, and they are very angry with me in many cases that I don’t reveal the current work but at the same time they know that any project I do for them would be kept under similar lock and key!  

 

This post by me is only connected to this discussion on AMK F-14 through the suggestion above.

 

Together with Haneto we were the two persons behind the G.W.H Su-35S kit development / research / design. There was simply no point in opening a new topic on ARC as there was already one. Great Wall Hobbies did not have its own topic, there was no point in having one, we were doing all the communication for the company from the moment G.W.H given the green light to do so. All the images were of course provided by G.W.H  HQ or from test examples that I had to show what can be expected by modellers when the kit is released. In a way it was the official G.W.H topic while from another point of view it was not officially started by G.W.H

 

I wish luck to AMK with this project and believe that a choice for modellers on the market is very important! So there is plenty of space left on the shelfs beside the Tamiya, Hasegawa . . . F-14 box for other manufacturers and everyone can make up their own mind which one they would like to buy.

 

Best regards

Gabor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2019 at 3:58 AM, Tapchan said:

Seeing this mass urge for detailed wings I bet the GWH will try to please the audience too.

 

There is already two kits with full flaps and slat detail available happy to donate wings to a Tamiya kit.

The HB kit wings have scribing very close to Tamiya quality and they fit....

The HB kit is from a shape view still a nice F-14 especially compared to the photos of AMK’s current version.

A Tamiya HB kit wing swap is easily achievable ending with two very similar F-14’s in terms of scribing quality and the shape of both certainly dont have the issues that may or may not effect the final AmK kit.

I still doubt there scribing quality has improved that much over the Mig-31 leading to any part swapping as a mismatch when or if you try to swap them with a Tamiya kit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 4:58 AM, Tapchan said:

Seeing this mass urge for detailed wings I bet the GWH will try to please the audience too.

This mass urge is greatly exaggerated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta say those HB wings suck pretty bad. They don’t fit well together. The ‘riveting’ is massively excessive and imaginary. The slats are wrong in size and in extension. They have have the slat rails coming straight out - not so in the real thing. And the angel and shape of the formation lights edge of the wing is wrong. Basically I see nothing on the HB wings worth saving or adapting. Haseohas it’s own issues with the flaps... Tamiya nailed the wings but they are locked closed... 

 

Would like to see AMK knock it out of the park with the extended wings and spoilers.... but still haven’t seen the slat rails. They’ve compromised the attachment strength with solid parts as far as I can see. May work out well... but in real life the only part of the tail that touches the slat is the underside leading edge. I’m excited to see what/how AMK does it and very excited Thor the spoiler option. Perfect realism isn’t needed as long as it fits the part. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The GWH F-14D in 1/72 features spoilers/slats/flaps. I imagine these would be translated to 48th. The CAD drawing certainly suggests so.

1//72 below and CAD drawing of 1/48 below

 

Related image

Image result for gwh f-14d

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bringing this back to pertinent discourse while I get toey as a roman sandle waiting.

 

Does anyone have any constructive information as to where/why/what is going on here?

 

I know there's a bit of negativity (for good reason) but we've seen test shots, we've seen photos of copious amounts of plastic, Furball decals have been drawn up, send and exist in photos around the place. It's almost like these things should be ready to go?

 

Surely, surely someone here knows something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately it’s par for the course. AMK has gone dark and silent again. 

 

Frankly and unfortunately this business is going to forever taint the AMK Tomcat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Keroburner89 said:

Wouldn't take much to give an update... 

 

Takes even less to be patient.     :moai:

 

Vote with your wallet.  Either hold onto your money until the AMK kit is released, or spend it on a different kit.  You have the power........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, habu2 said:

 

Takes even less to be patient.     :moai:

 

Vote with your wallet.  Either hold onto your money until the AMK kit is released, or spend it on a different kit.  You have the power........

 

Very valid point, except when you think you're doing the right thing by pre-ordering 3 😕 

 

What can I say, I'm young and green, you kind of expect people to do the right thing, right? 😔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2019 at 1:47 PM, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Gotta say those HB wings suck pretty bad. They don’t fit well together. The ‘riveting’ is massively excessive and imaginary. The slats are wrong in size and in extension. They have have the slat rails coming straight out - not so in the real thing. And the angel and shape of the formation lights edge of the wing is wrong. Basically I see nothing on the HB wings worth saving or adapting. Haseohas it’s own issues with the flaps... Tamiya nailed the wings but they are locked closed... 

 

 

 

At almost $90 bucks with shipping ie i can buy another Tamiya kit for $10 less than the KA wings i can live with trimming the 1mm needed to get the slats correctly sized.

For those with HB kits in stashes a free set of slatted wings is a far better option even if they need to spend 10 minutes on the trailing edge to resize them rather than parting with more money for wings which will most likely bend over time if you live in a warm environment.

Not to mention you can buy a Tamiya F-14 for less well at least where i shop Tokyo and Osaka.

”Massively excessive”?

You must have a different HB kit to me as the scale of the panel lines and surface detail is shall we say completely superior to that of the AMK Mig-31 and 98% of every other kit out there.

If the AMK F-14 looks anything like that god help AMK as the Mig’s panel lines are huge by comparison.

The HB wing rivet detail is as fine as any rivet work i have seen maybe other than the Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire. If you wanted you could remove it easily with one pass of surfacer but the panel lines are so fine like Tamiya you risk losing the fine panels.

Given you can still get a very respectable F-14 out of a HB kit for 98% of people not caring for perfection which if they are so caring wont touch the AMK kit anyway with any of the visible issues.

A wing swap is a very easy to accomplish mod for “free” and ten minutes with a file and sandpaper.

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by dehowie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2019 at 6:19 PM, Keroburner89 said:

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bringing this back to pertinent discourse while I get toey as a roman sandle waiting.

 

Does anyone have any constructive information as to where/why/what is going on here?

 

I know there's a bit of negativity (for good reason) but we've seen test shots, we've seen photos of copious amounts of plastic, Furball decals have been drawn up, send and exist in photos around the place. It's almost like these things should be ready to go?

 

Surely, surely someone here knows something?

 

I checked the Facebook site yesterday and nothing new. Makes one wonder if they've just given up on it and hope people will forget if they wait long enough. I don't know, but the way things are going could be that the GWH one shows up before this one. Oh well... :dontknow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mstor said:

I don't know, but the way things are going could be that the GWH one shows up before this one.

Or not... AFAIK there has been no recent communication about the GWH 1/72 or 1/48 F-14s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Laurent said:

Or not... AFAIK there has been no recent communication about the GWH 1/72 or 1/48 F-14s.

 

Well, it seems that GWH/Lion Roar don't communicate much anywhere. There Facebook page hasn't been touched since 2014 when they posted that their Facebook page was damaged and they lost most of their content. Their website barely works and has very little information. Doesn't even have a complete listing of all their aircraft kits. I expect that we'll learn of a GWH 1/48 F-14 release when it's being shipped or maybe at a show soon before. I honestly don't know how GWH/Lion Roar do their communications with the general modeling community. It certainly doesn't seem that they use a regular web presence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...