1 hour ago, dehowie said:

Personally experts are the last people i listen to now..i still listen but with three grains of salt and a dose of reality.

Why?

Well take a look at whats already happening with the Eduard P-51 and this is nothing to do with what was a botched kit the first release of the 109G.

Its over reaction caused by being to close to a subject.

Example.

So a panel of experts self appointed who love the Fairy Dingbat Mk7 to bits, have spent there lives collecting information etc, know every block and factory variance take a look at the kit.

So when the ultimate or maybe even the first Hasetamiduard version is released they buy it with glee!

There joy immediately turns to horror when they find the rpm indicator and manifold pressure gauges are reversed, the pilots joystick has the pickle misplaced and the main wheels have Michelin badges instead of goodyear.

To add insult to injury the guncamera port is misplaced by 3 inches on the wing leading edge and is square instead of round. 

Oh the horror!

To many these would be insignificant errors meaning nothing to 98.9% of the community.

However the Dingbats take it upon themselves to launch a campaign across forums to highlight the stupidly poor research and glaring mistakes by Hasetamiduard.

These errors are amplified page after page with vitriol by the Dingbat experts driven by disappointment  to bring a campaign of hate because there most famous beautiful aircraft, the love of their lives has been slighted by an incompetent bunch of amatuers parading as a model company.

Now this has happened here and elsewhere that insignificant errors which have no visual impact on the “look” of a kit compared to the prototype have been shredded.

So to me I temper what experts say, I use your own eyes to asses exactly how you think the kit looks and decide from there. Use the experts opinions to educate yourself from their wonderful knowledge on the finer points or like those experts you will never finish a kit. 

Gross errors are one thing which the Mk1 eyeball can spot at 20 paces ie Eduard 109G, AMK F-14 aft fuselage etc but listening to experts is rife with issues as you may find there hyper realistic goals will kill much of your enjoyment of the hobby.

Well said and pretty much true, we seem to base our kit buying on what the so called experts say when we should just buy what we like. I buy what I like and base it on an honest review of the kit for fit, ease of build etc not on whether it's 2mm short in lenght or span. I like the F-4 and every kit manufacturer has made at least one error big or small.

Now back to AMK they're biggest mistake was they should've said nothing and just released the kit now it's just a big PR s#$tstorm because it's been 4 years and nothing. If they had just released the kit they're stock as a kit maker wouldn't have taken a beating for 192+ pages.

This is just my opinion and thoughts I have no need for this kit (have 6 Tamiya) just an observation on 192+ pages of other opinions.

Don

10 hours ago, dehowie said:

Personally experts are the last people i listen to now..i still listen but with three grains of salt and a dose of reality.

Why?

Well take a look at whats already happening with the Eduard P-51 and this is nothing to do with what was a botched kit the first release of the 109G.

Its over reaction caused by being to close to a subject.

Example.

So a panel of experts self appointed who love the Fairy Dingbat Mk7 to bits, have spent there lives collecting information etc, know every block and factory variance take a look at the kit.

So when the ultimate or maybe even the first Hasetamiduard version is released they buy it with glee!

There joy immediately turns to horror when they find the rpm indicator and manifold pressure gauges are reversed, the pilots joystick has the pickle misplaced and the main wheels have Michelin badges instead of goodyear.

To add insult to injury the guncamera port is misplaced by 3 inches on the wing leading edge and is square instead of round. 

Oh the horror!

To many these would be insignificant errors meaning nothing to 98.9% of the community.

However the Dingbats take it upon themselves to launch a campaign across forums to highlight the stupidly poor research and glaring mistakes by Hasetamiduard.

These errors are amplified page after page with vitriol by the Dingbat experts driven by disappointment  to bring a campaign of hate because there most famous beautiful aircraft, the love of their lives has been slighted by an incompetent bunch of amatuers parading as a model company.

Now this has happened here and elsewhere that insignificant errors which have no visual impact on the “look” of a kit compared to the prototype have been shredded.

So to me I temper what experts say, I use your own eyes to asses exactly how you think the kit looks and decide from there. Use the experts opinions to educate yourself from their wonderful knowledge on the finer points or like those experts you will never finish a kit. 

Gross errors are one thing which the Mk1 eyeball can spot at 20 paces ie Eduard 109G, AMK F-14 aft fuselage etc but listening to experts is rife with issues as you may find there hyper realistic goals will kill much of your enjoyment of the hobby.

Understand what you're saying, BUT just keep in mind, those "dingbat" experts are usually pretty close to being right. And even though I don't fall into the 1.1% that you mention of people that sweat the pickle on the control dumaflappie, there are people that do. So I think maybe welcoming their observations and perhaps easing up a bit on the elementary school playground dingbat name calling might be in order. You can still choose to follow and/or ignore their information as you see fit. And as has been said over and over and over again, this hobby has many different facets and they are ALL equally valuable. It ranges from those that slap glue on and paint with a roller to get a model or toy they want all the way to the pickle switch experts and even people that do nothing but collect boxes that happen to have plastic parts inside. I just wish there were a lot more post that read like "thanks for the information. Personally I don't find that level of detail important but I appreciate you pointing it out" and much less that read like "quit your bellyaching and build the stupid model. You're sucking the joy out of modeling". To those "dingbats" their joy IS finding exactly where the joystick pickle switch is. I find their level of passion quite interesting and very useful. I might not share in their disappointment at times. But I do relish in their corrections often. Especially when you have people like Zasctoman who takes that knowledge and puts forth action to create beautiful correction parts. That is afterall what the hobby is, right? At least to some, it's more about fellowship with like-minded people who share a joy of a hobby.

Edited by niart17
10 hours ago, dehowie said:

I was actually being sarcastic, the shape is most important thing to me. Even then, I'm not much of a Tomcat fan and I still have a Tamiya F-14D sitting on my shelf beckoning my attention. Great points Dehowie, I appreciate and agree with much of your perspective.

On 8/2/2019 at 3:36 PM, ya-gabor said:

How do you define a good kit? What are acceptable mistakes? What is a brake point in getting or not getting a kit?

3. There are actually many factors. If I look at the model shape and it seem odd to me (just like AMK F-14 rear fuselage) then it's not ok. If it fits just like Revell's 32nd Super Hornet then it's also not ok. Wrong/misplaced panel lines? Well, if they really hurt my sense of correctness then I believe proper painting and wash (unpronouncing panel lines) may really do the job, thus no need to scratch the kit off of wanted list. I never mean to join any competitions with my models and the only thing that can hurt my eyes from shelf-distance are visibly wrong shapes. Plus the cost and alternatives - if you want F-4 then you have Italeri, Hasegawa, Academy and ZM. If you want F-14 then you can choose among Italeri, Academy, Hasegawa, HB, Tamiya, GWH(soon) and AMK(soon™). But when you go for SU-24 or MiG-23 then you may have limited choices. If the cost of kit is high and shapes are visibly incorrect then i'll search for alternatives. If GWH provide same level of detail as AMK but with less shape issues then i'll spare some €€ extra to get this better kit. 

2. As mentioned above - panel lines, especially minor ones. Or rivets on HB's F-14/F-18 wings (i can get rid of them easily). Wrong shape of HB's F-14 intakes (if somebody wouldn't give me a link with the description of a problem I'd never know of it's existence). Again the answer depends on kit alternatives and pricing. Also small fitting issues are acceptable, if they don't require more tools and effort than some sanding or a bit of styrene/putty.

1. Good kit... good kit is the one having little to no fitting issues and correct overall shape. Good kit offers me a good choice in undercarriage and decals thus does not require much aftermarket. Good kit provides me seated pilot/s and well fitting panels if I'd like to make it in-flight. And of course provides basic PE parts.

In other words good kit is the one after building which (and looking at) I say "it was a pleasure to build and totally worth it's price" while not thinking "i wish not to deal with these intakes area ever again".

Edited by Tapchan

There is no "one size fits all" definition as far as I'm concerned. Its completely and totally subjective to the individual modeler as to what constitutes a "good kit" because we all have different metrics for "good" and we all get enjoyment in this hobby in different ways. To each their own...there's  room for all.

As far as AMK goes, just release the bloody thing already and be done with it. If there are indeed glaring inaccuracies in the kit then AMK can take their lumps just like any other manufacturer does and move on. Or go ahead and scrap the whole project if criticism and negative reviews is to much to handle. Honestly its long past getting off the pot at this stage.

Happy modeling all!

On 8/3/2019 at 1:25 PM, niart17 said:

Understand what you're saying, BUT just keep in mind, those "dingbat" experts are usually pretty close to being right. And even though I don't fall into the 1.1% that you mention of people that sweat the pickle on the control dumaflappie, there are people that do. So I think maybe welcoming their observations and perhaps easing up a bit on the elementary school playground dingbat name calling might be in order. You can still choose to follow and/or ignore their information as you see fit. And as has been said over and over and over again, this hobby has many different facets and they are ALL equally valuable. It ranges from those that slap glue on and paint with a roller to get a model or toy they want all the way to the pickle switch experts and even people that do nothing but collect boxes that happen to have plastic parts inside. I just wish there were a lot more post that read like "thanks for the information. Personally I don't find that level of detail important but I appreciate you pointing it out" and much less that read like "quit your bellyaching and build the stupid model. You're sucking the joy out of modeling". To those "dingbats" their joy IS finding exactly where the joystick pickle switch is. I find their level of passion quite interesting and very useful. I might not share in their disappointment at times. But I do relish in their corrections often. Especially when you have people like Zasctoman who takes that knowledge and puts forth action to create beautiful correction parts. That is afterall what the hobby is, right? At least to some, it's more about fellowship with like-minded people who share a joy of a hobby.

Where's the darned like button when you need it.

Exactly THAT! Every word!

A rather prominent spelling error in the AMK poster advertising their F-14D...

Image result for captain picard meme

...come on you have to admit that's kind of funny. Chuckle worthy at least. Its like they just can't catch a break with this one.

Three Raccoons Modeling  FB page for anyone interested:

https://www.facebook.com/raccoon.squadron/

1 hour ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Ha! My thoughts exactly....But...will they have them in hand? (The kit.....not "Raccons")

Besides me who else thinks It's more likely they will have 3 Raccoons to offer up for sale than an F-14 Model kit...🤣

Well, the "build-off" is in October. Are they inferring that the kit will be released sometime between now and then, or will they get a bunch of pre-release kits?

Come on AMK, you can stretch the wait out longer! Keep going. 2020! :whistle:

1 hour ago, viper730 said:

Besides me who else thinks It's more likely they will have 3 Raccoons to offer up for sale than an F-14 Model kit...🤣

Tommcat or Toomcat ?  🍅

Kind of doesn't make sense. 'Must be submitted to event day and event location before 11am' but 'Finished F-14D will be yours after the event"... So you'll get one before entering, and you also get to take your own build home?? 

Wish they'd just be straight up. It's really not that hard to be accountable...  

Addendum to the above: just checked Facebook. 'A date will be confirmed to public this month. Date for shipping is being sent to distributors now'. 

Edited by Keroburner89