Umm, yeah, hate to tell you that you're wrong. I spent 3 years dealing with the Big P and Scott Free Productions to get the rights to print the Top Gun jets on our 48077 Adversary sheet. Scott Free went out of their way to get all kinds of info from the production notes and artwork and Paramount helped but the amount of red tape was stupid. In the end it worked and the decals are out there. Paramount absolutely owns the Top Gun names and logos even if they are painted on a Navy jet. Whether or not their legal department would go after you is another matter but it's their property.

-brian

Umm, yeah, hate to tell you that you're wrong. I spent 3 years dealing with the Big P and Scott Free Productions to get the rights to print the Top Gun jets on our 48077 Adversary sheet. Scott Free went out of their way to get all kinds of info from the production notes and artwork and Paramount helped but the amount of red tape was stupid. In the end it worked and the decals are out there. Paramount absolutely owns the Top Gun names and logos even if they are painted on a Navy jet. Whether or not their legal department would go after you is another matter but it's their property.

-brian

so the sheet will allow me to make the F-14 as seen at beginning of movie where Mav and Goose confront the "MiG-28". It out of stock on your site, are more coming? there is a set on ebay but its being sold from China

BTW the F-14 is registered by Northrup-Grumman.

I thought that since the aircraft are taxpayer property the manufacturer cannot charge a royalty, I thought this was a big issue a few years ago when the manufacturers were trying to charge model makers but in the end could not.

You'd be wrong on that. They most assuredly can and do demand licensing fees from model manufacturers. Here's the "Boeing Licensed" emblem on the Tamiya 1/32 P-51 kit...

1_boxart.jpg

Edited by Jennings

You'd be wrong on that. They most assuredly can and do demand licensing fees from model manufacturers. Here's the "Boeing Licensed" emblem on the Tamiya 1/32 P-51 kit...

1_boxart.jpg

Crazy. How can companies make this claim for something funded by the taxpayer? Especially something that old. I wonder what Tamiya had to pay out for "permission" to release a Boeing P-51?

The aircraft manufacturer owns the license for everything about that aircraft. They are usually private companies and not owned by the public. If the Air Force or Navy purchases the aircraft then that individual item may technically belong to the public (via the defence department) however, the original manufacturer still owns all right to the name, shape, parts, manuals etc etc.

At AMK we strive to get the manufacturers endorsement of our products where possible just like our Aero Delfin.

Aero Vodochody Aerospace gave us their permission to use their logo on the kit boxes for the L-29’s (and future L-39) because we did so much work with them and were striving for the best possible shape, accuracy and detail which puts their product in the best possible light. We love their products and actually we do want to make them stand out as "Avantgarde”.

We are very lucky to be officially accepted and endorsed by them and in no way do we take this for granted.

Edited by Martin @ AMK Models

I recall reading about the licensing issues with the model car world. Some manufacturers see as a way of free advertising and others perceived it as a cash cow.

It also hit the flight sim world, with airlines saying you had to pay royalties on 'skins' (texture patterns) of their airline's markings.