Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

Jennings

AMK 1/48 F-14!!!

Recommended Posts

I agree with Zactoman, the spine does go flat a little before it should. It is not as bad as first stated. The spine curve does almost go all the way to the end of the inner strakes and perhaps a little past that point. That much is evident from photos of the real thing. It is also evident that the panel line near the end of the spine should have a curve to it and it appears that the AMK kit's panel line is flat. So, the kit's spine is "almost" there, but not quite. This is a minor issue to me.

Can't wait till we have kit in hand and can put to rest (yea like that's going to happen) the wide/curved aft fuselage and the IFR probe issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

 

Omg i love how a ultra sofisticated machine drop the result in a cardboard box

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shion said:

Prove it.

 

 

 

 

 

i-dont-have-to-prove-anything-to-anyone-

 

 

But... you can check zerosystem and Mstor's post 🙂 You think the spine ends a panel too early 😉 But it is almost perfect match to the real think. It may a be a little tat too shallow but that is it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the record, the spin ends about half way down the number 5 turtleback panel on a real Tomcat, it's very subtle but it does end on the #5 TB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

For the record, the spin ends about half way down the number 5 turtleback panel on a real Tomcat, it's very subtle but it does end on the #5 TB.

 

That's what I like. Someone who knows the panel numbers of an aircraft. Now that's my kind of OCD. :thumbsup: Well done Sir! Now all I need is a diagram showing all the panels and their numbers :whistle:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, niart17 said:

Yup. And also as the old saying goes, there's no such thing as bad press. This thread is helping AMK in many many ways. Some who would never even consider buying an F-14 might get this kit just to see what the hubbub is all about. The thread that just keeps on giving. Ya' can't stop it. 300 300 300 300 300

 

You realize, of course, that probably about 0.00000000000144298% of modelers worldwide have ever heard of ARC, much less read this entire 208 (and counting) page thread, right?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

You realize, of course, that probably about 0.00000000000144298% of modelers worldwide have ever heard of ARC, much less read this entire 208 (and counting) page thread, right?  

Mirrors of this thread have gone viral on the dark-web. Volumes of discussions have erupted from the discussions here. It's a world-wide phenomenon...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I am very much looking forward to buying this kit because I have always wanted to build an F14 about to do cat launch.

Having said that, trying to correct errors is part of the enjoyment of the hobby for me. 

Something definitely doesn't look quite right about the hips, so I am hopeful that talented modelers like Zacto can point out the actual shape error here when we have kit in hand. The other issues to me are relatively minor so I am not really cared about them. I tend to agree that the issue seems to be incorrect cross section of the hip area, as it look pretty accurate in plan view. This is unfortunate for me, as an error in cross-section is somewhat more difficult to correct than an error in plan view (which would involve holding it over a good drawing, and correcting until the shapes match).

Still, I think it looks like a really nice kit and I am very much looking forward to buying it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, niart17 said:

And I'm not even going to mention the fact that the spine looks like it stops waaay too short and meets the top of the tail section at about the point where the raised section for the wing fold panel lines converge instead of far behind it like the real plane.

 

Oh this should be good for another 100 pages...  :doh:

 

The alleged “big hip” issue has effectively monopolized the collective scrutiny until you mentioned the alleged “short spine” issue. Now everyone is ignoring the hips and focusing on the spine.  Funny how that works. 

 

Modeling, like magic, is all about misdirection. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

208 pages...what I do wonder is why the Tamiya Tomcat does not have these shape issues...I assume both AMK and Tamiya did a 3D scan on the F-14? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Timvkampen said:

208 pages...what I do wonder is why the Tamiya Tomcat does not have these shape issues...I assume both AMK and Tamiya did a 3D scan on the F-14? 

 

 

Because some are assuming there is a problem with the AMK while comparing and finding differences to the Tamiya kit which is considered... perfect 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by DIO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Timvkampen said:

208 pages...what I do wonder is why the Tamiya Tomcat does not have these shape issues...I assume both AMK and Tamiya did a 3D scan on the F-14? 

 

Because Tamiya was supported by Northrop-Grumman.

So they 've got plenty of source material to check, recheck and triple-check geometries on the real planes.

 

You can see some pre-release and post-release public design reviews by Tamiya engineer teams on Youtube, like this one:

 

or this one:

 

 

They litteraly make what rivet counters usually do here, to explain and critic their own creations.

I hope one day they make a video like those about a aircraft kit.

 

AMK, no one knows.

They don't have a 3D scan of a Tomcat, for sure, but how they work, big question.

All we know, from the testimony of some experts they used, is "it's not very professionnal".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shion said:

AMK, no one knows.

They don't have a 3D scan of a Tomcat, for sure, but how they work, big question.

All we know, from the testimony of some experts they used, is "it's not very professionnal".

 

If there is such testimony, tell us who that is and in which way they are unprofessional.

 

Otherwise I think should be better to delete this comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, habu2 said:

 

Oh this should be good for another 100 pages...  :doh:

 

The alleged “big hip” issue has effectively monopolized the collective scrutiny until you mentioned the alleged “short spine” issue. Now everyone is ignoring the hips and focusing on the spine.  Funny how that works. 

 

Modeling, like magic, is all about misdirection. 

 

 

hmm...really....I guess I didn't think about that....😉

 

on page 300, someone might get 2 of these kits...why not edge it along a little faster?

 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DIO said:

 

If there is such testimony, tell us who that is and in which way they are unprofessional.

 

Otherwise I think should be better to delete this comment.

A French famous builder, they used as expert.

When first pics emerged and problems arose, they threw him and the other experts under the bus and naturally he reacted, describing how years ago he provided AMK a long list of perceived defaults (like the problem with the aft fuselage) and how he got absolutely no news about them and this list and if problems were solved or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it is good that he got no news from them. Imagine if after that we got no news from him 😂😂😂

Edited by DIO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Zactoman said:

Mirrors of this thread have gone viral on the dark-web. Volumes of discussions have erupted from the discussions here. It's a world-wide phenomenon...

🤣🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mstor said:

 

That's what I like. Someone who knows the panel numbers of an aircraft. Now that's my kind of OCD. :thumbsup: Well done Sir! Now all I need is a diagram showing all the panels and their numbers :whistle:.

It's not OCD, it's called over 15 years of working on the actual aircraft, including 5 different F-14 commands and 4 deployments.

 

If you want a diagram with all the panel numbers look in NAVAIR 01-F-14AAA-2-1 for the F-14A/B and NAVAIR 01-F-14AAD-2-1 for the F-14D.

 

And by the way, Turtleback #5 is not the real panel number, that is just what it was called in the Tomcat community.

 

Remember, there are people here who have actually put hand to steel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

It's not OCD, it's called over 15 years of working on the actual aircraft, including 5 different F-14 commands and 4 deployments.

 

If you want a diagram with all the panel numbers look in NAVAIR 01-F-14AAA-2-1 for the F-14A/B and NAVAIR 01-F-14AAD-2-1 for the F-14D.

 

And by the way, Turtleback #5 is not the real panel number, that is just what it was called in the Tomcat community.

 

Remember, there are people here who have actually put hand to steel.

 

I do forget that sometimes. Thank you for your service and hard won knowledge. We are all enriched by people like you who have served and can give us first hand knowledge of these subjects. Many thanks!

Edited by Mstor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Five hours without a post?  Is the entire internet down?

 

Or did sanity return?  :coolio:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GW, wish there were more of you guys in arc.

 

Yeah there's something ominous about it.  

There's normally 1 or 2 posts per hour.  I feel the need.  The need to read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, crackerjazz said:

I feel the need.  The need to read.

 

Time to buzz the bookstore, Goose....

 

.

 

Edited by habu2
alliteration...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Mstor said:

Now that's my kind of OCD. :thumbsup: 

 

I have CDO.

 

It's like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order - LIKE THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO BE !!!!!!!!!!!!!  :OMG-OMG:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, habu2 said:

 

Time to buzz the bookstore, Goose....

 

.

 

Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...