ARC Discussion Forums

Jennings

AMK 1/48 F-14!!!

1 hour ago, GW8345 said:

The weapon Rail in the pic is an F-14A/B Weapon Rail, it is not a rail used on the F-14D.

F-14D Weapons Rails did not have the hinge running down the middle of the side panels, those were only on the rails used on the F-14A/B.

Rail or pylon? I was a knuckle dragger, and I confuse easily.

1 hour ago, GW8345 said:

The weapon Rail in the pic is an F-14A/B Weapon Rail, it is not a rail used on the F-14D.

F-14D Weapons Rails did not have the hinge running down the middle of the side panels, those were only on the rails used on the F-14A/B.

This comment is worthless without redlines and arrows....  :whistle:      

/s   (in case it wasn’t obvious)

7 hours ago, andrew.deboer said:

I think it’s worth replying with this photo included because there’s a lot to like here: the ribbing on the inner exhaust petals, the inclusion of closed nozzles, the fact that the open nozzles are composed of 5 parts each, the combination of recessed and raised rivets on the boattail...

Close-up photos can be very unkind. By the same token, a photographer can share only the shots that are the most flattering. But I don’t think these parts are a fluke - this will be a very good kit and I’m looking forward to it landing on my work table.

Makes me want a MiG-31. I’ve never wanted a MiG-31...

I can confirm Mig-31 has the same level detail. Actually, this is the reason why I am really excited about this model too.  So far pictures do not disappoint. 

33 minutes ago, sideshow said:

Where is that picture from? Where is it located?

My stash. Mwahahahah!!!!!

1 hour ago, sideshow said:

Where is that picture from? Where is it located?

Photoshopped!!!

15 hours ago, Mstor said:

Are you referring to the Phoenix rails?

Weapon Rails are commonly referred to as Phoenix Pallets by modelers.

I see boxes. Are they just selling boxes ?  Cuz I only see boxes.....

Look like empty boxes :hmmm:

Be that as it may, if those boxes are filled with their respective sprues, Sio has just let us know that those ten ones are all for Darren Roberts :woot.gif:

If you look really really hard at that image, and squint...waaaay in the background...there's a blurb...is that Bigfoot? I swear, I see Bigfoot!

30 minutes ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

Be that as it may, if those boxes are filled with their respective sprues, Sio has just let us know that those ten ones are all for Darren Roberts :woot.gif:

Dang. You are likely correct. I’ll wait for round 2. 

On 8/26/2019 at 11:54 PM, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

The little circle vent on the starboard (right side) of both ‘weekly’ doors is only on the A with PW engines. It does show a lot of streaking. I’d guess AMK added (like Tamiya did) for future versions.

AMK seems to have added a lot of ‘extra’ wear and tear type stuff. Some panels that they molded are added on sheet metal repairs, visible on a specific airframe. I’d fill it in with putty or if you’re doing that exact specific airframe (or just like the look) cover it with bare metal foil or very thin plastic...

Brian 

Thank you for that helpful info Brian!  :thumbsup:

Again, I've been learning a lot about the Tomcat from this thread.

:cheers:

1 hour ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

Just the third one down from the top on the right stack. 😁

5 hours ago, GW8345 said:

Weapon Rails are commonly referred to as Phoenix Pallets by modelers.

Thanks. That's what I thought, but my I am easily confused :hmmm:. I went searching for F-14D pics that had the Phoenix Weapon Rails and I could see that they looked different than the A/B rails. Like Zactoman said, constantly learning new things. :thumbsup:

Question for the Tomcat guys:

In some cases the ECS exhaust vents have the vanes slightly diagonal on both sides as depicted on the kit.

Vents_1_zpsovzgtdks.jpg

In others the left vent is slightly diagonal while the right one is horizontal.

Vents_2_zpsw37u9j99.jpg

In some cases the left is very diagonal and the right is horizontal as on this F-14D at Udvar-Hazy.

Vents_3_zpsn6yg6pjt.jpg

What is the reason for this and how would you know which to use on a particular build?

Edited by Zactoman
Added pics

If there is more delay to this release, some of you will start questioning whether the rivets screw turning left or turning right!

5 hours ago, DIO said:

If there is more delay to this release, some of you will start questioning whether the rivets screw turning left or turning right!

Depends on if you are North or South of the equator. 

Interesting photo above Manuel. Those rivets/screw holes, will be interesting to see what that looks like under some paint and weathering. 

Cheers

Collin

8 hours ago, Zactoman said:

In some cases the ECS exhaust vents have the vanes slightly diagonal on both sides as depicted on the kit.

What is the reason for this and how would you know which to use on a particular build?

I don't remember the reason but I do remember this same question being asked and answered a few years ago.  I'm not sure what search term(s) might find the old post.    Also note the number of vanes in each style vent is different.

1 hour ago, habu2 said:

I don't remember the reason but I do remember this same question being asked and answered a few years ago.  I'm not sure what search term(s) might find the old post.    Also note the number of vanes in each style vent is different.

In this very thread 🤪

22 minutes ago, Neo said:

In this very thread 🤪

:thatfunny:

12 hours ago, Zactoman said:

Question for the Tomcat guys:

Vents_1_zpsovzgtdks.jpg

In others the left vent is slightly diagonal while the right one is horizontal.

Vents_2_zpsw37u9j99.jpg

In some cases the left is very diagonal and the right is horizontal as on this F-14D at Udvar-Hazy.

Vents_3_zpsn6yg6pjt.jpg

First photo typical for F-14A, the vast majority of F-14D's have the second layout (ECS was obviously modified for new electronics) Note that the right exhaust also has 10 vanes, while the left has 9. The plane on third photo is only one I've seen with such portside outlet layout. It may be some repair or "custom" replacement on museum airframe. We made both type of ECS exhaust in our set for Tamiya F-14D  A.M.U.R. 1/48 PE F-14D detail set

48654100488_9ea404740d_b.jpg

48654123073_25a280761f_b.jpg

Edited by Alex Matvey
correction