ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Jennings

AMK 1/48 F-14!!!

Awesome pics and beautiful detail!  Just don"t let your eyes be drawn to the waist : )   Hey, Bill, I built that 1/32, too --- the one with the VF-1 Wolfpack decals, right?  Brings back good memories : )  

45 minutes ago, crackerjazz said:

Awesome pics and beautiful detail!  Just don"t let your eyes be drawn to the waist : )   Hey, Bill, I built that 1/32, too --- the one with the VF-1 Wolfpack decals, right?  Brings back good memories : )  

I can't recall which markings actually came with the kit. I used Cam Models Pukin' Dogs markings on mine. Always loved those paint schemes.

1 hour ago, crackerjazz said:

I used those VF-1 decals on a Tamiya kit. Managed to make them fit. Used the OLD Teknics (sp?) resin cockpit, which was an amazing set for when it first came out. One of the first really detailed resin cockpit sets if I remember correctly. The model is still sitting in the bedroom of the son of a friend of mine (the son grown, married and moved out years ago). Decals have all yellowed and cracked. Numerous parts fallen off. Still looks cool.

Anyway, I had a hell of a time finding one of the old Revell kits with the VF-1 decals. This was before the advent of the Internet and World Wide Web (www) as we know it today. I was active some of the Usenet news modeling groups and found someone in Norway (I think) that had access to one. I remember being blown away by being able to e-mail someone in Europe and get a reply minutes later. He found the kit in a shop, bought it and shipped it to me (I of course sent payment).

Sorry to have butted into your conversation. It just brought back that memory.

13 hours ago, AV O said:

Thanks for sharing, AV O.

Despite a few flaws here and there, I have to admit that it's still a very nice model. The airbrakes, wings, exhaust nozzles and wheel wells are nicer than on the Tamiya kit. AMK also did a great job with the assembly structure and how a lot of parts interlock. Most accurate 1/48 Tomcat? Maybe not, but certainly the most detailed.

13 hours ago, AV O said:

Ok. There are a few niggles here and there but I am still very excited about it. Looks like everything fits together very well, especially around the rear. The exhaust nozzles look great. Isn't there someone doing 3D Printed versions? Lots and lots of options. 

I think time to stop criticizing and start building the kit. It looks awesome on the build thread at Britmodeller. 

16 minutes ago, stalal said:

I think time to stop criticizing and start building the kit. It looks awesome on the build thread at Britmodeller. 

Great idea, but where to buy it from?

It looks great!

I am pretty sure that if you put AMK and Tamiya built models one next to the other, only very few will be able to tell the difference.

It is a definite buy for me. I wonder how hard it would be to backdate to an A... Iranian A...

Edited by DIO

52 minutes ago, stalal said:

I think time to stop criticizing  ... .

Oh man, you just stole my joy.

Gene K

2 hours ago, DIO said:

It looks great!

I am pretty sure that if you put AMK and Tamiya built models one next to the other, only very few will be able to tell the difference.

It is a definite buy for me. I wonder how hard it would be to backdate to an A... Iranian A...

I think that there would be a fair amount of work involved. New engines, new cockpit, different boat tail, different gun vents and numerous other details. I wonder if AMK is thinking of doing an A? I think they would do a B first, fewer changes. I'd love to see a really early A kit with the original boat tail and the early gun vents. Plus a nice set of early VF-1 decals. I'd certainly consider getting one of those, warts and all. Only Hasegawa has ever done the early A.

5 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Only Hasegawa has ever done the early A.

Maybe a Frankenstein project then? lol

How I appreciate this fresh air blowing all of a sudden in my face, smelling JP , joy and happyness. 

Many thanks to the builders. 😊

58 minutes ago, DIO said:

Maybe a Frankenstein project then? lol

I did it with the Tamiya kit. Using the Hasegawa early boat tail and gun vents. The quality of the Hasegawa parts is no where near the Tamiya or AMK parts, but It may be possible, with the AMK that is. Don't know what you'd use for the cockpit.. Would hate to waste a Tamiya kit for those parts. Perhaps an Aires or Avionix set could be shoehorned in. Would be nice if AMK or GWH would let us know it they plan on expanding the line (or did GWH already do that, vaguely remember something about them doing A, B and D kits).

AMK are supposed to release an A. But I am reluctant to wait.

On the other hand I already have an EA-6B and an Airfix Defiant on my bench. For me 2 models = 2 yrs  🤣🤣

Yep, thinking about it, I can definitely wait!

Edited by DIO

56 minutes ago, DIO said:

AMK are supposed to release an A. But I am reluctant to wait.

Just pre-order it.   😂

44 minutes ago, habu2 said:

Just pre-order it.   😂

I will backdate it. And then everyone will release one.

2 hours ago, Mstor said:

I did it with the Tamiya kit. Using the Hasegawa early boat tail and gun vents. The quality of the Hasegawa parts is no where near the Tamiya or AMK parts, but It may be possible, with the AMK that is. Don't know what you'd use for the cockpit.. Would hate to waste a Tamiya kit for those parts. Perhaps an Aires or Avionix set could be shoehorned in. Would be nice if AMK or GWH would let us know it they plan on expanding the line (or did GWH already do that, vaguely remember something about them doing A, B and D kits).

Sio has mentioned that there will be an A and then a B afterwards. 

2 minutes ago, zerosystem said:

Sio has mentioned that there will be an A and then a B afterwards. 

Well, there you go. Problem solved. Just have to wait for them to be released :whistle:

If the fit is as good as the build thread shows, this is a better kit than Tamiya. Lot more options. Lot more details. 

17 hours ago, stalal said:

I agree the builds are looking good and the kit certainly looks nice....but I thought there wasn't supposed to be criticism until the kits were actually being built and could be analysed. Now no one is supposed to critique the kit at all? I'm so confused.

47 minutes ago, madmanrick said:

Image result for no soup for you gif

lol. oK. But I think it's a legitimate question.