ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Jennings

AMK 1/48 F-14!!!

2 hours ago, madmanrick said:

Image result for no soup for you gif

Still my favorite character on that show. I try to emulate him  whenever possible.

4 hours ago, niart17 said:

I agree the builds are looking good and the kit certainly looks nice....but I thought there wasn't supposed to be criticism until the kits were actually being built and could be analysed. Now no one is supposed to critique the kit at all? I'm so confused.

I don't recall any decision on this thread to curtail discussion or critique. Some have suggest it, either until the kit is in our hands or until it is built. Certainly once we have the kit in hand we can make some more informed critiques. This has not stopped me from evaluating the kit, its details and shapes, while I await delivery of a kit. I will probably not make many more comments regarding same until I have the kit in hand and can confirm, more or less, what I am seeing. I am not an expert and I do not have the experience or resources that people like Zactoman have (which is why I respect his opinion so highly). I don't even have a good enough knowledge of the science of shapes and curves to express what I am seeing most of the time.

All that to say, If you see something that you want to discuss now, no one is going to stop you (well, I won't :thumbsup:).

20 hours ago, Mstor said:

I think that there would be a fair amount of work involved. New engines, new cockpit, different boat tail, different gun vents and numerous other details. I wonder if AMK is thinking of doing an A? I think they would do a B first, fewer changes. I'd love to see a really early A kit with the original boat tail and the early gun vents. Plus a nice set of early VF-1 decals. I'd certainly consider getting one of those, warts and all. Only Hasegawa has ever done the early A.

Ohhh !! That would make me happy very happy !!! In addition to VF-1, VF-114 may be present

Can we get an actual list of distributors and online retailers that are marketing the sale of the kit? I ask because it seems like a simple Google search comes up with a handful and at least two of them I don't believe are trustworthy or reputable at all.

2 minutes ago, afterburner said:

I pre-ordered mine from Internet Hobbies (Internet Hobbies AMK 1/48 F-14D). Ordered two and have ordered from them in the past with great success. 

Glad to hear you've had a good experience with them. I've not ordered from them before so I looked them up and that have a very large amount of complaints via the BBB so I'm quite iffy if I am going to purchase through them.

There's always that first time but I agree- you have to be cautious. My first go-to is SprueBrothers and I'm sure it will pop up there soon enough. I've had three orders with IH and so far, so good. I will likely stick with them. 

22 hours ago, Mstor said:

I did it with the Tamiya kit. Using the Hasegawa early boat tail and gun vents. The quality of the Hasegawa parts is no where near the Tamiya or AMK parts, but It may be possible, with the AMK that is. Don't know what you'd use for the cockpit.. Would hate to waste a Tamiya kit for those parts. Perhaps an Aires or Avionix set could be shoehorned in. Would be nice if AMK or GWH would let us know it they plan on expanding the line (or did GWH already do that, vaguely remember something about them doing A, B and D kits).

And how do you know without the kits in hand?

34 minutes ago, ChesshireCat said:

😜😜😜

Yep, whatever.

3 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

I don't. Didn't say I did. Just speculating. :dontknow:

Edited by Mstor

6 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Can we get an actual list of distributors and online retailers that are marketing the sale of the kit? I ask because it seems like a simple Google search comes up with a handful and at least two of them I don't believe are trustworthy or reputable at all.

Here in the US, Victory Models has them for preorder. $69.95 but you get free shipping at that price (anything over $25). Victory Models is a highly respected vendor.

7 hours ago, Fefster said:

Ohhh !! That would make me happy very happy !!! In addition to VF-1, VF-114 may be present

An early A kit can have any other decals they want, as long as they give me early VF-1 decals. That fit properly. :pray:

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

Here in the US, Victory Models has them for preorder. $69.95 but you get free shipping at that price (anything over $25). Victory Models is a highly respected vendor.

Yeah I found that. I've bought some pre-owned stuff from them previously and never had an issue with them other maybe a price or two. Thanks Mstor.

Terry..

Can you please confirm where the mold lines are on the one piece canopy?

https://scontent.fkul13-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/69871844_10220676704491518_2883596916040400896_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_oc=AQnEIR1WV8-Jcbi_yA4zVLO0sQwjWOYcK0cj81ulDHVBqyq3DUdxbNcYxJoqx_a3INA&_nc_ht=scontent.fkul13-1.fna&oh=8ade57b7994029ff4deac5a0ed5071e3&oe=5DF084B3

https://scontent.fkul13-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/69975207_10220706248190092_1702923574739730432_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_oc=AQk5leQvIA2vTPPSKIu5ssNfTkmQAdc0TEznTjZz6NCNLDKG47I9bMQxDSv5RazkN0k&_nc_ht=scontent.fkul13-1.fna&oh=3579071666380d0d298ed61056c4748d&oe=5E047F63

It looks like there are two lines on the canopy "top corners" and not on the center of the canopy??

Maybe I'm just seeing things...

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

Edited by F-16

9 minutes ago, F-16 said:

Terry..

It looks like there are two lines on the canopy "top corners" and not on the center of the canopy??

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

There are in fact two mold seam lines located on the upper sides of the canopy, and not along the center line. I was lent a canopy last week to create a masking set for it.

34 minutes ago, F-16 said:

Terry..

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

Dave is correct. There are two seam lines running the full length of the canopy...one on each side.  

2v2EybCKjx9trR.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xamk+f-14d.TRS0&_nkw=amk+f-14d&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=great+wall+f-15e

On 9/13/2019 at 9:56 PM, Mstor said:

I reserved two at the pre order price through Victory Models. No word about any quantities they’ve received, if any. 

4 hours ago, terrysumner said:

Dave is correct. There are two seam lines running the full length of the canopy...one on each side.  

2v2EybCKjx9trR.jpg

What about the canopy you add to the frame?

4 hours ago, terrysumner said:

2v2EybCKjx9trR.jpg

Looks to be quite a step between the sides on that mold line over on the forward edge. What does it look like in person Terry?

5 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Looks to be quite a step between the sides on that mold line over on the forward edge. What does it look like in person Terry?

The step is fixable.

If you look closely, both parts of the slide-mold aren´t aligned axially (look at the canopy rib), and this is more problematic to fix.

51 minutes ago, Mstor said:

There is no step....

2v2EycAT9x9trR.jpg

35 minutes ago, shion said:

The step is fixable.

If you look closely, both parts of the slide-mold aren´t aligned axially (look at the canopy rib), and this is more problematic to fix.

2 minutes ago, terrysumner said:

There is no step....

I see now. No step, but axial misalignment. I mistook that for a step. Still going to be a pain to fix.

3 minutes ago, Mstor said:

I see now. No step, but axial misalignment. I mistook that for a step. Still going to be a pain to fix.

What "Axial misalignment" are you referring to? This canopy is excellent!