1 minute ago, niart17 said:

No school like the old school. Lol 

Not to get off topic but I had one of those in my stash that I bought on eBay several years ago. Last week I had to go out of town for work for the week. Come back and my son (10yrs old) built it and painted it...using my airbrush. He did really good! Took a little bit of time to clean it up and (a good discussion on how to care for it). I'm headed out tomorrow and he's going to gloss coat and decal it and possibly weather it. I'll post pics for him when it's done. He's come a loooong way and picked a real doozy to work on

4 minutes ago, afterburner said:

Not to get off topic but I had one of those in my stash that I bought on eBay several years ago. Last week I had to go out of town for work for the week. Come back and my son (10yrs old) built it and painted it...using my airbrush. He did really good! Took a little bit of time to clean it up and (a good discussion on how to care for it). I'm headed out tomorrow and he's going to gloss coat and decal it and possibly weather it. I'll post pics for him when it's done. He's come a loooong way and picked a real doozy to work on

Yes! definitely post those images. My daughter every once in a while decides to build something and I tell you, those builds are worth a LOT more than anything I'd build for myself. A real sense of pride seeing them put in the work and interest in creating something. Good times!

Edited by niart17
1 hour ago, niart17 said:

Maybe we should just compare it to a Testors F-14 and then it can really shine.

Wasn’t that a rebox of the Fujimi kit?  If so it was still better than the original Revell kit.  

2 hours ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

Now if they had said "we're going to make the best F-14 we can make" and there were these issues, none of this would have ever happened.

so, because they said "we will make the best F-14 ever" we have 236 pages

but if they said "we're going to make the best F-14 we can" all this would have been avoided and we would have, how much .... 12 pages?

12 minutes ago, habu2 said:

Wasn’t that a rebox of the Fujimi kit?  If so it was still better than the original Revell kit.  

I believe you are correct. I know a lot of those Testors kits derived from Fujimi. I had a Testors A-7 and remember how disappointed I was with it. That and the F-18, which was actually had a lot of the YF-17 features if i recall.

14 minutes ago, skuki said:

but if they said "we're going to make the best F-14 we can" all this would have been avoided and we would have, how much .... 12 pages?

Not sure exactly what the aversion is to this thread's length BUT I suspect had it not been 4-1/4 years since they announced til the time they released then the thread would be considerably shorter as well. Just sayin'.

Edited by niart17
4 hours ago, Mstor said:

I just finished catching up on the canopy frame discussion. I am really amazed at the emotional bickering. Both sides of this discussion were right. A few of us saw what looked like an issue. Yes, its probably a small one, but one that, if it was truly there, would be seen as something to be corrected by many modelers. Terry has provided pics that show that, if there is an issue, it is so small as to be almost unseeable. There may or may not be some other issue causing what I and others originally saw. Whether it constitutes something that will need "fixing" will be up to the individual modeler. 

Now, why would someone want to belittle a person for wanting to discuss a potentially visible problem. If there had been an actual misalignment issue here, I for one would want to know about it, so I knew it was something that needed correcting. We should have been able to discuss this potential issue calmly and view the gathered evidence and make our conclusions. This is what I like to see in critiques of models. How many times has someone bought a kit (or is thinking about about buying a kit) and come to this forum and asked for a list of accuracy issues and build problems so they knew what they were getting into before they started?  So, a potential error is found to be a non-starter or extremely trivial. Great! We figured it out. Instead of getting all huffy over it, we should be patting ourselves on the back. Good Job guys! Its Miller time! :beer4:

I'm going to wade in just a bit no this one. The reason there is blowback is because Terry stated 3 to 4 times that he was holding the part in his hand and there was no misalignment, yet the issue was still being pressed even after that. The original picture (that was magnified, mind you) did show something that seemed questionable. It absolutely deserved a second look. But it should have ended the first (I'll give to the second) time Terry said the canopy was perfect. It was the continued pushing for more pictures that made some think people were looking for the smallest thing to gripe about.

With all due respect to Terry and you, I'm not going to suggest that he would be wrong or that he would withhold something. But terms like perfect alignment are somewhat subjective. I don't feel it was rude or abnormally out of bounds to ask for a photo to clarify something since there have been photos posted to show the kit and all the other questioned areas. I think that's rather the point. If all we had were "the kit is perfect" or the "the fit is perfect" or whatever, that really doesn't say much. But if you guys want to tell us to stop asking those questions then that's fine. Especially Terry, who has the power to shut down any and all discussions here. I wasn't intending to step on his toes. I simply suggested that a clear photo might clear up the situation. There really we very little need for anything other than a "sure, here's a shot" or "no take my word for it". All the other stuff was totally unnecessary hits on people. And that's fine too if you really want to get down to it. I'm actually more open to those discussions then you guys are, but I know there are limits in place here so I try to stay within those limits and keep my criticism to plastic and not those that are talking about it.

Edited by niart17
3 hours ago, foxmulder_ms said:

Nope. People just have ulterior motives: bury a brand. Even thought we are looking at the best F-14 model. No one talks about good things but a 1micron reflection is turning into an opportunity to smear the kit. Even though there is no error and the kit has 2 *more* canopies. LOL>>!>!>!>!>

If you want to discuss this model how about the 10 other very good things you may talk about?? Like multiple canopy options. A frame+glass approach as an option which is a first, I believe, and looks extremely good.

How about fully extended wing option?

How about crazy details in cockpit and landing gears? 

Single piece missile galore?

Decal options? 

Single piece front fusalage? 

There is 100% place for accuracy discussion but sorry this thread is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond that. 

Dude, get over it, no one is trying to "bury a brand" and there has been lots of talk about the great features of the kit.

You seem to be missing some of the issues that have been pointed out with the kit, like the IFR Probe door and the wrong Weapon Rails, not to mention some other issues, all are basic stuff that if they had done some basic research and asked someone with a clue about the real aircraft would have been able to point out the issues before the started cutting molds. When the issues were first noticed and brought to light AMK said that it was an optical illusion and that those who were pointing out the issues were wrong, well, it turns out that those issues weren't optical illusions and those pointing them out were in fact correct.

I couldn't care less about the kit, I build 1/72 scale and only dabble in 1/48 on rare occasions. As far as some of the great features, from the pictures posted I don't see any "crazy" detail concerning the landing gear or cockpit, in fact, to me, the detail doesn't look crisp at all, it looks more toy like if anything. The single piece missiles, BFD, how hard is it to glue on wings and fins, decal, there are numerous aftermarket decals options, single piece front cockpit, so it saves you from dealing with two seam lines, BFD. To me the only thing this kit has over any other is the ability to open up the spoilers, that's it.

BTW, how do you know that the rear shape is only off 1 micron/1mm? Have you taken detailed measurements of the actual kit and compared it to the real aircraft? I can tell you that the issue with the rear is more than you think, if my out of calibrated Mk 1 Mod 0 eyeball can spot it then anyone with a clue on about the aircraft can. Since you are such an expert on the aircraft that you can tell just how little some of the shape issues are please tell us how much time you have spent on, around or studying the real aircraft, what credentials do you have that support your assertion that the rear is only a "1micropn reflection"?

If you don't like the thread there's a simple thing you can do, don't click on it. I'm tired of reading all this crap about how people who are pointing out issues are trying to bury a brand, are being paid by the competition, have an axe to grind, are grasping for straws, etc. This is a modeling discussion website, we talk about models and pick them apart in order for others to learn about the model and the real thing. If you don't like the discussion, don't take part in it but stop accusing other's of something you have no evidence of and stop trying shut down other's right to express their opinions about a model on a modeling website.

There is so much effort to prove that this kit is full of errors, that you will make me buy not only the AMK but also the TAMIYA one, and that just to compare!

My family budget goes off the window!

Can't you just stop it? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

4 minutes ago, DIO said:

There is so much effort to prove that this kit is full of errors, that you will make me buy not only the AMK but also the TAMIYA one, and that just to compare!

My family budget goes off the window!

Can't you just stop it? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

dude, that's more F-14 models to build. How can that be a bad thing right? :cheers:

26 minutes ago, niart17 said:

With all due respect to Terry and you, I'm not going to suggest that he would be wrong or that he would withhold something. But terms like perfect alignment are somewhat subjective. I don't feel it was rude or abnormally out of bounds to ask for a photo to clarify something since there have been photos posted to show the kit and all the other questioned areas. I think that's rather the point. If all we had were "the kit is perfect" or the "the fit is perfect" or whatever, that really doesn't say much. But if you guys want to tell us to stop asking those questions then that's fine. Especially Terry, who has the power to shut down any and all discussions here. I wasn't intending to step on his toes. I simply suggested that a clear photo might clear up the situation. There really we very little need for anything other than a "sure, here's a shot" or "no take my word for it". All the other stuff was totally unnecessary hits on people. And that's fine too if you really want to get down to it. I'm actually more open to those discussions then you guys are, but I know there are limits in place here so I try to stay within those limits and keep my criticism to plastic and not those that are talking about it.

You are absolutely correct. There's no place for personal attacks either. This thread has gone off the rails so many times I'm amazed it's able to get back on track. 

4 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

You are absolutely correct. There's no place for personal attacks either. This thread has gone off the rails so many times I'm amazed it's able to get back on track. 

Hey, gotta give those rail workers something to do. Besides, at 300 there are kits to be handed out if I recall correctly! 😀

Seriously though, it really is appreciated that there are those that are willing to take the time to answer the questions and post photos of what they have in hand. I really hope it didn't sound like I was questioning Terry's ability to see something in front of him. I just know how human nature works and either A) some can't believe things they don't see and B) some are cynical and think that there is a cover up in what they are told. The best way to alleviate that is to show it in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Boing boing boing...

Boring boring boring...

As, I know what is going to happen next!

Every time someone posts something positive, the same people will (coisidently) get things back to rail: how bad is this or that, but don't get me wrong, I love this kit, but I also love extra super detail, but just for this particular one, the other one is perfect based on Grumman plans etc....

Yep. Read it so many times that I have learnt it by heart.

Well guys, the next time you will hear from me, will be only when I have actually built something, because this kit basing has become rediculus...

Cheers.

9 minutes ago, DIO said:

Boring boring boring...

As, I know what is going to happen next!

Every time someone posts something positive, the same people will (coisidently) get things back to rail: how bad is this or that, but don't get me wrong, I love this kit, but I also love extra super detail, but just for this particular one, the other one is perfect based on Grumman plans etc....

Yep. Read it so many times that I have learnt it by heart.

Well guys, the next time you will hear from me, will be only when I have actually built something, because this kit basing has become rediculus...

Cheers.

ummm....ok. But don't blame us if you aren't the one that post the first on page 300 and don't win the prize. :cheers:

Seriously though. It's all going to be ok. Nothing but love brother.

Edited by niart17
2 hours ago, skuki said:

If I said "I'm going to do the best job I can", then I'm doing the best job I can

If I say "I'm going to be better than you" and then spend years talking about and then ultimately am NOT better than you, isn't it normal to expect the backlash to be stronger? 

15 minutes ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

If I said "I'm going to do the best job I can", then I'm doing the best job I can

If I say "I'm going to be better than you" and then spend years talking about and then ultimately am NOT better than you, isn't it normal to expect the backlash to be stronger? 

word

9 hours ago, niart17 said:

NO, Not bent out of shape at all. Its just that when you start using things like FFS at someone because they asked a simple question about an issue they thought might be present, that seems a bit emotionally over the top. It was an honest question. It just seems that any and all questioning of this kit is met with similar type responses. If people aren't to ask those questions then perhaps this forum is only left for "atta boys" and ohh and ahhs over kits and not honest discussions? I don't think that's the case but if all things are met with a bunch of FFS's then what next?

And yes, perhaps I've posted more than I should in this thread. Sorry if I'm too interesting in knowing how good this kit is. I wasn't on the list of getting one to try out so might spend my money on it. I do love a good dirty F-14.

The FFS wasn't directed at any single person. While it was made in a reply to a specific post, it was a general response to the utter ridiculousness of the majority of this thread. TWO of us that have actually held the parts in our hands said it wasn't an issue, yet the need to see more photos was still pushed. Darren noticed it also, as evidenced by his recent post.

32 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

...a general response to the utter ridiculousness of the majority of this thread...

👽👽👽Let's not forget the upcoming Area 51 raid! 👽👽👽

There's still a chance that if we successfully capture one of them aliens we can get it to roll back the clock so that everybody had a kit under the Christmas tree several years ago. :santa:

:smiley-transport006:
There's also a chance that we could convince the aliens to go back in time to fix the tooling and maybe even include pilot figures (un-buildable without!).

Here's the countdown clock: https://timeanddate.com/s/3zbs

I'm providing the clock with Las Vegas time since most of our team will be partying there before and after the raid. :beer4:
For those not participating in the raid, wish us luck (I think we'll need it!)!!! :smiley-transport023:

:cheers:

7 hours ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

Give me a break. 

If you look at my post history it's clear I was an AMK defender for a long, long time. I had two on pre-order, defended them, enjoyed what I was seeing..

What eventually soured me was being lied to. AMK straight up lied to their customers, not even about accuracy issues..but about production status, about pre-orders, about import status issues. It was all a lie to cover their tracks.  

Now about the accuracy issue..they did that themselves. They said they were going to produce the most accurate F-14 model ever. It isn't. They failed. But their ego in proclaiming they were going to be the best means that they invited attention that normally wouldn't have ever been paid to them in other circumstances..had they not made such a massive claim. 

Now if they had said "we're going to make the best F-14 we can make" and there were these issues, none of this would have ever happened. Or if they had said "we're in the development process on this and we'll post more when it's ready to be released"...really no one would have even paid attention for years and years like this has happened.  Because of the time involved and claims made...the bar was set obscenely high, even higher than what was expected from Tamiya. 

I don't want to bury AMK, but I hope they learned their lesson. 

Perhaps some folks have a motive for bashing a kit. I don't care what they think, but the same folks will bash someone's thoughts everytime they get the chance. Others represent of companies, and I kinda wonder about their ethics. One guy here lost about $350 worth of business because I no longer trust him.

Others will see my cash because they acted accordingly.

I don't understand a critical post from you, as you've stated you have no interest in the AMK kit. 

Gary