Jump to content

AMK 1/48 F-14!!!


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IMHO, not picky.

 

Just different people with different interests. And both (the ones ecstatic about this kit vs the ones expecting better) are probably right.

 

I do not like what I see overall (and I am dead certain it is not an optical illusion or lighting/reflection stuff) but I will probably buy one kit just for the dirty wings and sell the remainder. I just hope the recessed details on the wings are not that far off Tamiya's recessed details finesse.

Edited by Silver Seraph
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, phantomdriver said:

No big deal to fix....

 

I don't know. To do it right, you'd have to fill in all the lower parts of the panel lines and rescribe new lines right next to the old ones. Tricky unless you use CA to do the filling. A lot of work I'd rather not have to do.

 

P.S. What are those two small rectangular panels below the front formation light? BDR?

Edited by Mstor
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, phantomdriver said:

No big deal to fix....

Well I'm telling you now that this photo is GREATLY exaggerating this misalignment. I mean come on...the photo is a closeup and is at least 5 times the size of the part.  You can't see this "misalignment" unless you use some kind of magnifying device!  I had to use my reading glasses AND a 4X magnifying headset to see it. Good grief.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Mstor said:

 

P.S. What are those two small rectangular panels below the front formation light? BDR?

 

Never notice them before, and never saw them on the real a/c.

 

VF-31-Tomcatters-214.jpg

 

VF-31-Tomcatters-109.jpg

 

VF-31-Tomcatters-48.jpg

 

Placement is strange for a reinforcement plate and geometry and placement is strange for antenna.

It's a good question to ask to GW8345.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mstor said:

P.S. What are those two small rectangular panels below the front formation light? BDR?

They look like patches, probably on the real aircraft they used as an example.

 

The patches most like were the results of a "basket strikes", i.e. the refueling basket hitting the aircraft. It was not unknown for that panel to get hit every so often during air to air refueling,

Link to post
Share on other sites

Weren't these very intricate slide moulds supposed to make life easier by avoiding the very problem of misaligned panel lines?

If the solution to the problem requires more effort than avoiding the problem in the first place (careful dry-fitting and alignment of parts), how much of an advantage is it really?

 

Personally, I'd much rather spend half a minute more carefully aligning the parts than having to fill, sand and rescribe. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ChernayaAkula said:

Weren't these very intricate slide moulds supposed to make life easier by avoiding the very problem of misaligned panel lines?

If the solution to the problem requires more effort than avoiding the problem in the first place (careful dry-fitting and alignment of parts), how much of an advantage is it really?

 

Personally, I'd much rather spend half a minute more carefully aligning the parts than having to fill, sand and rescribe. 

Word.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, B.Sin said:

Word.

 

 

haha.

 

Get real. Once you paint and after the wheathering, you wont see anything from a distance of 10 inch. You need a magnifier to see what is going on. 

 

This is ridiculous. 

 

Also people aligning better than this will be 10% of the modelers, if we are lucky... + potential putty/glue problems. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, foxmulder_ms said:

 

 

haha.

 

Get real. Once you paint and after the wheathering, you wont see anything from a distance of 10 inch. You need a magnifier to see what is going on. 

 

This is ridiculous. 

 

Also people aligning better than this will be 10% of the modelers, if we are lucky... + potential putty/glue problems. 

 

I think you didn't realize the build here was just primed with surfacer.

So, no, if after some coats of surfacer, panel lines (aligned or not) stand out like this,

they will stand out too with normal paint (which is airbrushed with thinner coats), and worse they could stand out more (if the builder like panel washs). 

 

 

Edited by shion
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think anybody said this made the kit unbuildable. He simply posted an image that looks like a slight mold misalignment. And it does. Can it be fixed? Sure. It might not even be hard to fix. But it DOES look like a misalignment. It is what it is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, IAGeezer said:

 

 Word.

 

If a modeler cannot "fix" this in under 15 seconds, then should go for a different type of model. Because this, requires just basic level skills.

 

And no, you definitely do not fill all the lower part and rescrib. That's just rediculus. You just slightly re-align using a scriber or the back of an xacto blade.

 

Come on guys, just be fair. You can do that!!!

Edited by DIO
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DIO said:

 

If a modeler cannot "fix" this in under 15 seconds, then should go for a different type of model. Because this, requires just basic level skills.

 

And no, you definitely do not fill all the lower part and rescrib. That's just rediculus. You just slightly re-align using a scriber or the back of an xacto blade.

 

Come on guys, just be fair. You can do that!!!



So basically making the bottom panel line disproportionately larger than the top. 

Got it

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...