41 minutes ago, Mstor said:

P.S. What are those two small rectangular panels below the front formation light? BDR?

Never notice them before, and never saw them on the real a/c.

VF-31-Tomcatters-214.jpg

VF-31-Tomcatters-109.jpg

VF-31-Tomcatters-48.jpg

Placement is strange for a reinforcement plate and geometry and placement is strange for antenna.

It's a good question to ask to GW8345.

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

P.S. What are those two small rectangular panels below the front formation light? BDR?

They look like patches, probably on the real aircraft they used as an example.

The patches most like were the results of a "basket strikes", i.e. the refueling basket hitting the aircraft. It was not unknown for that panel to get hit every so often during air to air refueling,

Weren't these very intricate slide moulds supposed to make life easier by avoiding the very problem of misaligned panel lines?

If the solution to the problem requires more effort than avoiding the problem in the first place (careful dry-fitting and alignment of parts), how much of an advantage is it really?

Personally, I'd much rather spend half a minute more carefully aligning the parts than having to fill, sand and rescribe. 

4 minutes ago, ChernayaAkula said:

Weren't these very intricate slide moulds supposed to make life easier by avoiding the very problem of misaligned panel lines?

If the solution to the problem requires more effort than avoiding the problem in the first place (careful dry-fitting and alignment of parts), how much of an advantage is it really?

Personally, I'd much rather spend half a minute more carefully aligning the parts than having to fill, sand and rescribe. 

Word.

49 minutes ago, B.Sin said:

Word.

haha.

Get real. Once you paint and after the wheathering, you wont see anything from a distance of 10 inch. You need a magnifier to see what is going on. 

This is ridiculous. 

Also people aligning better than this will be 10% of the modelers, if we are lucky... + potential putty/glue problems. 

51 minutes ago, foxmulder_ms said:

haha.

Get real. Once you paint and after the wheathering, you wont see anything from a distance of 10 inch. You need a magnifier to see what is going on. 

This is ridiculous. 

Also people aligning better than this will be 10% of the modelers, if we are lucky... + potential putty/glue problems. 

I think you didn't realize the build here was just primed with surfacer.

So, no, if after some coats of surfacer, panel lines (aligned or not) stand out like this,

they will stand out too with normal paint (which is airbrushed with thinner coats), and worse they could stand out more (if the builder like panel washs). 

Edited by shion

I don't think anybody said this made the kit unbuildable. He simply posted an image that looks like a slight mold misalignment. And it does. Can it be fixed? Sure. It might not even be hard to fix. But it DOES look like a misalignment. It is what it is.

39 minutes ago, IAGeezer said:

Word.

If a modeler cannot "fix" this in under 15 seconds, then should go for a different type of model. Because this, requires just basic level skills.

And no, you definitely do not fill all the lower part and rescrib. That's just rediculus. You just slightly re-align using a scriber or the back of an xacto blade.

Come on guys, just be fair. You can do that!!!

Edited by DIO
23 minutes ago, DIO said:

If a modeler cannot "fix" this in under 15 seconds, then should go for a different type of model. Because this, requires just basic level skills.

And no, you definitely do not fill all the lower part and rescrib. That's just rediculus. You just slightly re-align using a scriber or the back of an xacto blade.

Come on guys, just be fair. You can do that!!!

So basically making the bottom panel line disproportionately larger than the top. 

Got it

13 minutes ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

So basically making the bottom panel line disproportionately larger than the top. 

Got it

...just a tiny bit where the two lines meet and maybe use some Mr surfacer to bring them back to scale.

Edited by DIO

Once you have to bring Surfacer into play, the 15 seconds thing is well and truly busted!

To fix something that shouldnt even need fixing. To fix something that was even touted as a fix to potential problems introduced by the modeller during construction.

This misalignment might even be one of the more manageable instances. When bomb moulds are misaligned, the resulting plastic parts are close to useless. Again: intended to make the modeller's life easier by taking away the need to carefully align bomb halves. Fine in theory.....

Edited by ChernayaAkula
40 minutes ago, DIO said:

If a modeler cannot "fix" this in under 15 seconds, then should go for a different type of model.

You mean like a model that doesn't have mold misalignment? 😁

I'm kidding, kidding. Just having fun with you. You kind of set it up for that joke though. 

I am serious.

Your Surfacer dries and sands in 15 seconds?

Also, basic modelling skills and all that.... It's not that I can't fix it. I just  don't want to. I don't want to have to fix something that shouldn't need fixing in the first place.

EDIT: For the record: I don't have an axe to grind with AMK. I'm a happy customer of theirs. Got their 1/72 L-29 Delfin and half a dozen 1/72 IAI Kfirs. 

My only gripe with the Kfirs is that some of the bombs are useless - because of mould alignment issues!

Edited by ChernayaAkula
Damn typos. Phat phingers on the phone.
1 hour ago, niart17 said:

I don't think anybody said this made the kit unbuildable. He simply posted an image that looks like a slight mold misalignment. And it does. Can it be fixed? Sure. It might not even be hard to fix. But it DOES look like a misalignment. It is what it is.

But, if I am going to trust someone on whether this is an issue or not, who do you think it should be? Someone who has posted a pic that is an extreme magnified close-up and whose motives are unknown? Or someone who has the kit in hand, is a reputable source and has NO axe to grind? Said person has stated that the misalignment cannot be seen with the naked eye. Case closed, just like the supposed misalignment with the canopy frames. To repeat what this same modeler said:    GOOD GRIEF INDEED!