ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Jennings

AMK 1/48 F-14!!!

25 minutes ago, Zactoman said:

I've only glanced through the instructions (they seem hard on the eyes to me).
One thing builders should know is that they may want to skip using the upper bypass door supports (check your references).
I don't know why, but this strut was eliminated at some point. From what I've seen most F-14D models don't have it.

Bypass_strut_zps8900xwrp.jpg

Perhaps GW or one of the Tomcat experts could shed some light on this.

Regarding the instructions...
Looking at the views provided for the decal charts, it appears that these drawings may have either been generated from the kit CAD model or they are the drawings the CAD model was based on (hips ✔️ canopy ✔️  other ...).

More on that later, time permitting.

:cheers:

About parts V29 and V30, I have seen this on some pics of early F-14As. See page 29 of the old Detail and Scale book, the top picture. You can see some sort of support that looks like it could be what AMK is representing. I don't have a lot of F-14D pics so don't know if this was something that was omitted in later versions.

Oh, and bummer on the alien help. A shame they wouldn't let you take them home. :dontknow:

Every F-14A/B Tomcat I worked on had the bypass brace, not sure about the F-14D but I would swear that they had them also.

Part of my job when I was in VF-103 and VF-143 was to dive the intakes and check them for FOD, that included checking the top area of the ramps (when they were down) and there was a nut with a cotter pin that you had to verify was installed for that brace. I never dived the F-14D intakes but from what I remember they were identical to the F-14B's in every detail.

13 hours ago, madmanrick said:

Not disputing that you should get what you paid for, just trying to be sure the record is correct.

So do I. Since you emphasized "paid" I just wanted to set the record straight that we who backed on indiegogo also paid in advance. Anyway, I think it is a moot point whether we pre-ordered and paid in may or in september two years back. I think AMK should do anything they can to make sure we get our stuff ahead of those who ordered from any online store yesterday.

8 hours ago, madmanrick said:

That's not quite $50 USD and quite ridiculous!

Sure.
I am afraid that shipping cost to Poland (my country) from many asian webstores risen dramatically in last months. Don't know why

There is a comparison between Tamiya (red line) and AMK instruction silhouettes that are actualy renders from 3D works. You can see the differences in side and top views. They are pretty similar exept nose section, which is noticeable "beefy" on AMK model.

48825804037_4dbf8fa5c7_o.jpg

48825648171_db89c6f0db_o.jpg

Well the differences seem pretty small if those are in fact the actual shapes. The whole front section seems to meet the main fuselage at a slightly different angle, but the overall shapes seem very similar. I am relieved that the canopies seem to be the same size-I was quite concerned that the AMK version was too small.

Could this be a difference between a rebuild F-14D and a new build F-14D?

-Gregg

4 hours ago, erik_g said:

So do I. Since you emphasized "paid" I just wanted to set the record straight that we who backed on indiegogo also paid in advance. 

Yes I am aware that those that participated in the Indiegogo paid in advance. I used "paid" as there was yet another preorder after the Indiegogo, where no money was requested upfront. I ordered another 3 kits at that time. The important thing to remember isn't when so and so put down money or how so and so put down money, but that there are people who have put down money, in good faith and they deserve some sort of bonus for sticking it out this long.

Originally, the weapons kit was going to be the bonus for those that laid out money. However, it is my understanding that anyone who preorders paid or unpaid, is going to receive the weapons set. Maybe it was said that those that preordered and paid money were going to get an additional weapons set for each paid preorder? I also may have made that up, I can't keep it straight anymore.

Took me a while to get to page 252..... Hello from Malaysia. Looks like it will still be a frantic addition of many more pages now that the models are arriving at everyone's respective shores and proper eagle eyed and microscopic comparisons can be made. Some excellent technical observations here. Thanks a lot.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Alex Matvey said:

There is a comparison between Tamiya (red line) and AMK instruction silhouettes that are actualy renders from 3D works. You can see the differences in side and top views. They are pretty similar exept nose section, which is noticeable "beefy" on AMK model.

Interesting but are you sure about that ? I have verified this for KH, HB/Trumpy and GWH who make the decal designs themselves but in the case of AMK it's Furball that did the decal design so things could have been different. In other words I think you may have done a Tamiya vs Furball overlay.

Edited by Laurent

54 minutes ago, CKLoo said:

Took me a while to get to page 252..... Hello from Malaysia. Looks like it will still be a frantic addition of many more pages now that the models are arriving at everyone's respective shores and proper eagle eyed and microscopic comparisons can be made. Some excellent technical observations here. Thanks a lot.

A voice of reason and sanity, skilfully bending out all the "noise" (other descriptions may apply 🙂 ) in between.

Thank you

J

5 hours ago, Alex Matvey said:

48825804037_4dbf8fa5c7_o.jpg

48825648171_db89c6f0db_o.jpg

:)

no, no... canopy is wrong on AMK, they said.. you cannot build an AMK F-14, they said. AMK butt is tooooo big, they said..  😄

Don't ever recall anyone saying you can't build it, but perhaps I missed that post. Also, a lot of assumptions about the way that drawing is set up. Not saying it's wrong or anything but it's hardly a direct lay-over of one image over another. Not arguing the point, just that it's not really proof of anything one way or another. And also to that point, I don't think AMK said they were making a model of the Tamiya F-14 instruction sheet drawing did they? So kind of pointless to compare it to that. Just my opinion.

Let Grumman build the real F-14 in 1/48 only then we will be satisfied 🙂  🙂

2 minutes ago, stalal said:

:thumbsup: I'm good with that!

6 hours ago, GreyGhost said:

Could this be a difference between a rebuild F-14D and a new build F-14D?

-Gregg

No, when A's became D(R)'s the forward fuselage was not changed beyond adding the necessary antennas and the addition of the TCS/IRST chin pod. 

It's likely simply a human error based on which drawing source the companies got their info from. It's known that Tamiya got the drawings from Grumman at least. 

14 hours ago, GW8345 said:

Every F-14A/B Tomcat I worked on had the bypass brace, not sure about the F-14D but I would swear that they had them also.

Part of my job when I was in VF-103 and VF-143 was to dive the intakes and check them for FOD, that included checking the top area of the ramps (when they were down) and there was a nut with a cotter pin that you had to verify was installed for that brace. I never dived the F-14D intakes but from what I remember they were identical to the F-14B's in every detail.

Interesting paradigm. Your job was to be a FOD to detect other FOD!! Sounds fun

51 minutes ago, stalal said:

I  doubt that! 😁

8 hours ago, Alex Matvey said:

I doubt these are CAD renders.

First because there look like the same drawings we saw years ago , I mean these ones:

15895771_732076750290488_404245865413716

Then, because they look a lot like vector drawings made from Illustrator or Corel draw.

Third because they're lacking a lot of 2nd order details.

Fourth some lines don't correspond neither other CAD renders we saw either the kit.

15 hours ago, GW8345 said:

Uh-oh. Has anybody checked the AMK model for that nut and cotter pin???

27 minutes ago, punder said:

And what if we dont find it there? That means this AMK kit is no good!! 

Another reason to trash this kit and do 250 more pages 🙂

2 hours ago, Neo said:

Interesting paradigm. Your job was to be a FOD to detect other FOD!! Sounds fun

On the flight deck/flight line, everyone is FOD.

The fun was being up inside the ramps when Airframes decides to put hydraulic power on the plane (once hydraulic power is applied, the ramps instantly retract unless the circuit breakers are pulled), you ever want to see someone move like lightning, watch them come shooting out of the ramps once they hear a Jenny fire up. :-D

59 minutes ago, punder said:

Once you build the kit you can dive the intakes, make sure you check the first and second stage compressor blades, all the rivets in the intake for looseness, the ramp seals, the stub duct, the bullet, the engine inlet probe, the hydraulic actuators for ramps 1, 2, and 3, FOD check the interior of the ramps and the "shelf" and the bleed air exit door brace.

Then get back to us and tell us if they got all that right.

5 hours ago, niart17 said:

Don't ever recall anyone saying you can't build it, but perhaps I missed that post. Also, a lot of assumptions about the way that drawing is set up. Not saying it's wrong or anything but it's hardly a direct lay-over of one image over another. Not arguing the point, just that it's not really proof of anything one way or another. And also to that point, I don't think AMK said they were making a model of the Tamiya F-14 instruction sheet drawing did they? So kind of pointless to compare it to that. Just my opinion.

Well said, and if you actually look at the two drawings, you can see the difference in the shape of the rear end.

Now if you really want to be rivet count and nick-pick the kit, count the number of blades on the first stage compressor, if it ain't 32, it's wrong.

(BTW - TF-30's had 28 first stage compressor blades)

😄