Or else what? What are you expecting to accomplish by demanding to see something?

Pretty sure he wasn't demanding anything. Take it easy, nothing wrong with a bit of begging. I'm looking forward to seeing some pics as well.

Please Martin? Pleeeeeeeeeeese?

Edited by 11bee

Or else what? What are you expecting to accomplish by demanding to see something?

Wow dude, like John posted simmer already. But it has been a year since this kit was "announced" and nobody has seen anything and it sure would be nice to see that there has indeed been some progress. I highly doubt that my sentiments are not shared by others ;) .

Edited by Don

Martin, just a suggestion, maybe you can include intake and exhaust covers with the kit?

That would be kind of tough to do. The D's usually didn't use the hard plugs, but rather the canvas covers. The exhaust nozzles would be extra pieces, but if the tooling is already set, that could get expensive. The intakes would be a whole other animal. I'm not sure you could get the plastic thin enough to fit as a separate piece. To mold it as part of the intake would require making the intake separate pieces. That gets more expensive and complex.

We have found some areas of the Tomcat that have never been captured correctly (shape) and we are trying to replicate these areas as faithfully as possible.

hold on there, that means you are still "drawing" the kit ?

that means you have a long way to go if I understand right........

I can't believe how spoiled and petulant some of you guys are. Martin has said he will share the information he can, when he can. So cut him some slack. :sunrevolves:

Besides I personally would much rather he and the AMK team spend time actually working on the kit and getting it totally correct, rather than waste time preparing CAD's or pics or anything else. The sooner they get it done, the sooner we can all drool over actual plastic. Also, what truly is the hurry, it isn't as though each and every one of us here don't have enough kits to last the rest of our lives, right? I mean I know I am over 450 in the stash, so I can wait another month or two to add another or three. :rolleyes:

Rick

I can't believe how spoiled and petulant some of you guys are. Martin has said he will share the information he can, when he can. So cut him some slack. :sunrevolves:/>

Besides I personally would much rather he and the AMK team spend time actually working on the kit and getting it totally correct, rather than waste time preparing CAD's or pics or anything else. The sooner they get it done, the sooner we can all drool over actual plastic. Also, what truly is the hurry, it isn't as though each and every one of us here don't have enough kits to last the rest of our lives, right? I mean I know I am over 450 in the stash, so I can wait another month or two to add another or three. :rolleyes:/>

Rick

Spot on Rick!!!

Four days to the 1st Anniversary of this thread...come on Martin tell the higher ups at AMK that the natives are getting restless and need to see something, anything, soon. There has to be some teaser shot(s) that can be released at this stage in the game surely.

:cheers:/>

Can't rush perfection!

In my opinion it has nothing to do with being spoiled and petulant. Many of us are pulling for AMK and want them to succeed, not just on the F-14 but all of their future projects. But many of us also remember a company called Accurate Miniatures that produced absolutely fantastic kits. Without a doubt some of the finest models ever produced and even today would rival the best of any manufacturer. They began a pattern of announcing kits well before they should have, well before they were even close to having all the drawings and design done, and became so worried about getting every last detail 100% correct (perfect) that nothing was getting done (paralysis from analysis). AM had lots of words for its customers, lots of "we're working on it", "it's coming soon", "please be patient" etc etc. But one year would lead to a-year-and-half and still nothing. Two years would go by...zip. Eventually kits were being canceled or released so late to get to market that the enthusiasm surrounding the initial announcement bled away. Accurate Miniatures is no longer.

When AMK announced their F-14 there was no news of another new 1/48 Tomcat kit being produced. Nothing on anyones radar... certainly nothing made public. Hence the initial enthusiasm. But since the year has gone by Tamiya has not only announced a new 1/48 F-14 but also provided us with sprue shots, build up photos, markings options, and a release date. The Tamiya kit is also the 'A' version which appeals to more F-14 fans (so it seems) and we have since found out the AMK's will be the 'D' version. Not sure if that change will affect sales or not. Probably not for the diehard F-14 fans but for the modeler looking to build just one or two 1/48 Tomcat's it might.

My point? Perhaps AMK jumped the gun and announced their F-14 too soon before they were really ready (shades of AM)? Be that as it may or may not, AMK did go public with the announcement a year ago and in this regard I don't think its too much for modelers to ask AMK's status on the project and to have some idea of its progress through some visual means or concrete answers. Surely not one year into an announced kit. They are obviously free to handle said questions/requests/pleadings as they choose. But I know of at least one other thread here on ARC that is very confusing as to whether or not AMK is or isn't going to produced a new 1/48 Super Etendard or if its been canceled (again, shades of AM). So if some of us come off sounding impatient perhaps its because we've seen this movie before in companies like AM and would hate see AMK fall into their pattern because we know how that ended.

Hey, just my two cents.

:cheers:

But many of us also remember a company called Accurate Miniatures that produced absolutely fantastic kits.

But, you have provided no evidence that AMK is in a similar position to AM. In fact, you are speculating that since AMK hasn't shown us any "evidence" of progress, that in fact they have not made any and that this makes them analogous to Accurate Miniatures. It isn't as though AMK has only announced the F-14 and produced nothing else before or since.

The opposite is in fact true. They have produced 5 quarter scale kits, including two extremely popular and unique kits in their MiG-31 versions, in the last two years. So exactly how is their situation remotely similar to AM? You are forgetting that this company is a relatively new concern and they have only begun to really ramp it up. They have suffered a few very public "hiccups," but they appear to be persevering and continuing to improve their kits with each new release.

I do not believe that AMK is feeling any "heat" from Tamiya's recent announcement of their Tomcat. The reason being that there is enough room in the market for two very different kits of a similar subject. So again, baseless speculation isn't going to push AMK to release this kit any sooner. So let's just be patient and hopefully our faith will be rewarded with another world-class model kit of a great choice (imo) of a subject.

Rick

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=288178

Just interesting reading in the above link taking notice of the ebb and flow...

My main point was that perhaps AMK should think about timing its announcements better so the length of time from announcement to either kit release or concrete images isn't too lengthy (something that bit AM). Would that not be a good thing? Would it not be better to make an announcement knowing that you are a few months away from being able to post something rather then going on a year from said announcement with nothing and possibly still in the early planning phase or still in the design phase as was alluded to earlier today?

Look I am not slagging AMK. Look at all of my posts here and elsewhere and its clear I think they are an amazing company based on what I have seen and heard. But the timing from announcement to providing something concrete is dragging.

Again...just my two non-petulant nor spoiled cents ;)

I do not believe that AMK is feeling any "heat" from Tamiya's recent announcement of their Tomcat.

Yeah, you are spot on, why would a start up feel threatened by a juggernaut company like Tamiya pfffff

Sarcasm mode off, they feel the heat for sure and be sure Tamiya it`s not comfortable hearing about a direct competitor, difference is, if it`s a flop Tamiya can weather the storm, not so sure about AMK though......

if it`s a flop Tamiya can weather the storm, not so sure about AMK though......

What leads you to believe it will be a flop? Obviously, the two kits that have been announced are very different animals indeed, despite being the same airframe more or less. Judging from the descriptions that have been released, the AMK version appears to be more "complete" out of the box, as it will include the ability to lower the flaps (something I have no interest in), as well as complete weapons, which by all accounts will not be included in the Tamiya kit. So unless you have specific information about AMK's financials that nobody else has, you are again simply baselessly speculating. I have a few Tamiya kits in my stash and I will surely be happy that theirs will be in the market, along with AMK's, even if I don't purchase the Tamiya iteration. I personally prefer AMK's customer engagement better than I do Tamiya's lack of same. However, at the end of the day, I am a modeler and I will support whomever releases kits that I find enjoyable.

That having been said first company to release an injection molded 1 48 IL-28, Yak-25/26/27/28, Tu-128, Tu-22 or such, will earn my undying loyalty AND money!

:deadhorse1:

Edited by madmanrick

I do not believe that AMK is feeling any "heat" from Tamiya's recent announcement of their Tomcat. The reason being that there is enough room in the market for two very different kits of a similar subject. So again, baseless speculation isn't going to push AMK to release this kit any sooner. So let's just be patient and hopefully our faith will be rewarded with another world-class model kit of a great choice (imo) of a subject.

Rick

But they need to.

Otherwise, it is a really unprofessional approach.

Model kits manufactaring isn't an art or a hobby, it's a business.

And when in this domain, you don't take a look to the others guys, you die.

There's surely room for others Tomcat in 1/48, but if you were a little company, you'd better not release the same model, same version at the same time one of the biggest and most famous companies in the world.

It's not a bet, it's a suicide.

What leads you to believe it will be a flop? Obviously, the two kits that have been announced are very different animals indeed, despite being the same airframe more or less. Judging from the descriptions that have been released, the AMK version appears to be more "complete" out of the box, as it will include the ability to lower the flaps (something I have no interest in), as well as complete weapons, which by all accounts will not be included in the Tamiya kit. So unless you have specific information about AMK's financials that nobody else has, you are again simply baselessly speculating. I have a few Tamiya kits in my stash and I will surely be happy that theirs will be in the market, along with AMK's, even if I don't purchase the Tamiya iteration. I personally prefer AMK's customer engagement better than I do Tamiya's lack of same. However, at the end of the day, I am a modeler and I will support whomever releases kits that I find enjoyable.

That having been said first company to release an injection molded 1 48 IL-28, Yak-25/26/27/28, Tu-128, Tu-22 or such, will earn my undying loyalty AND money!

:deadhorse1:/>

We don't know yet.

Tamiya F-14A exists, we saw sprues, we saw finished prototypes.

At this point in time, AMK F-14 is speculation.

So i'ts impossible now to say that they're different animals etc.

I can see it coming from miles away...AMK succumbs to the pressure and puts the kit into production....it hits the shelves and OH OH.....someone opens the box inspects it and screams hey they missed, this and that...they should have got it right; for what I paid. Well IMHO that's what they're trying to do.......GET IT RIGHT!!!! :D ;) . How many times in other threads have we seen things such as the nose is too fat, the canopy is too flat, the fuselage is to wide, the tail is too short, etc...will the kit be perfect, for some probably not, for others it will be a gem. Gents man will never do anything perfect except screw something up, we're good at that, look at what we've do to the earth; like Rick stated...give'em some slack and time, and you will less disappointed when the kit becomes available, in my other reply I said "this thread is worthless without pics"...after giving it some thought...that was flat out DUMB!!! when considering what AMK is trying to accomplish..my apologies to Martin and AMK.

I can't believe how spoiled and petulant some of you guys are. Martin has said he will share the information he can, when he can. So cut him some slack. :sunrevolves:

Besides I personally would much rather he and the AMK team spend time actually working on the kit and getting it totally correct, rather than waste time preparing CAD's or pics or anything else. The sooner they get it done, the sooner we can all drool over actual plastic. Also, what truly is the hurry, it isn't as though each and every one of us here don't have enough kits to last the rest of our lives, right? I mean I know I am over 450 in the stash, so I can wait another month or two to add another or three. :rolleyes:

Rick

Word......and then some

Edited by #1 Greywolf

I can see it coming from miles away...AMK succumbs to the pressure and puts the kit into production....it hits the shelves and OH OH.....someone opens the box inspects it and screams hey they missed, this and that...they should have got it right; for what I paid. Well IMHO that's what they're trying to do.......GET IT RIGHT!!!! :D/> ;)/> . How many times in other threads have we seen things such as the nose is too fat, the canopy is too flat, the fuselage is to wide, the tail is too short, etc...will the kit be perfect, for some probably not, for others it will be a gem. Gents man will never do anything perfect except screw something up, we're good at that, look at what we've do to the earth; like Rick stated...give'em some slack and time, and you will less disappointed when the kit becomes available, in my other reply I said "this thread is worthless without pics"...after giving it some thought...that was flat out DUMB!!! when considering what AMK is trying to accomplish..my apologies to Martin and AMK.

Word......and then some

Word

I can see it coming from miles away...AMK succumbs to the pressure and puts the kit into production....it hits the shelves and OH OH.....someone opens the box inspects it and screams hey they missed, this and that...

...in my other reply I said "this thread is worthless without pics"...

Actually AMK put the pressure on themselves once they made the formal announcement that they were producing an F-14A initially now it seems the 'D' will be first. They made the initial announcement a year ago when they didn't have to. That was their choice. Once the announcement is officially released from any manufacturer that such-and-such is being produced modelers want to see progress. Decals, resin, PE, or kits...if its announced by the maker people ask for, beg, plead, badger or whatever until something can be seen. Search the forums and its crystal clear that no matter what the product is, once its announced folks start asking. In the majority of cases the manufacturer who made the formal announcement does indeed get drawings, photos or whatever to the modeling world fairly soon, certainly within a calendar year. Had AMK timed their formal announcement to coincide with drawings, sprue shots or whatever soon after said announcement ("soon" as in anytime this past year) folks probably wouldn't be cynical. You can obviously take what you wrote back but IMHO you were right to post "this thread is worthless without pics" because we are one year removed from AMK's formal announcement (again their choice) and all we have are words and nothing else. All some folks want to see is concrete progress...no different then from any manufacturer.

Again, AMK fans are no doubt going to be irritated by this post and others like it. Whatever, but this isn't a knock on AMK as its the nature of the beast that when any manufacturer officially posts that they are doing "X" people want to see progress. Certainly after one year (12 months) have gone by. If Tamiya, Hasegawa, goodness knows Trumpeter, Hobby Boss et al post that they are doing "X" and a year goes by with nothing you can be sure the wires would be hot with "where's the pictures? Where's the drawings?, when will it be released? Etc etc. Perhaps that's why some companies don't say anything until the kit is well into development or heck even done?

I am sure the AMK F-14 will be a gem...whenever it makes a showing.

Once the announcement is officially released from any manufacturer that such-and-such is being produced modelers want to see progress.

And many of us would like to win the lottery, wanting it doesn't make it so.

And many of us would like to win the lottery, wanting it doesn't make it so.

It is what it is ;) and AMK is no different.

:cheers:

Man oh man I just can't wait for a new kit to be released - so it can sit on my shelf for weeks, months, nigh YEARS before I get around to building it.

The anticipation is killing me.....

:bandhead2: :bandhead2: :bandhead2:

The AMK F-14 kit is not speculation. It is very real and is well under way. As I said, the decals schemes have been chosen and decided. The profiles are under way and the process is looking good.

The kit has been pushed up the schedule so the Super Etendard kit is on hold for the time being. Don’t worry - it is coming!

I have asked for some sharing tidbits but they will come when HQ releases them.

Oh and no-one is taking this as a knock. Least of all me. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and their say, but I for one will keep posting on the forum to let you know whats going on. Better a manufacturer commits to engaging with the modelers it serves than hides behind a wall of silence. No one knows anything then.

Edited by Martin @ AMK Models

The AMK F-14 kit is not speculation. It is very real and is well under way. As I said, the decals schemes have been chosen and decided. The profiles are under way and the process is looking good.

The kit has been pushed up the schedule so the Super Etendard kit is on hold for the time being. Don’t worry - it is coming!

I have asked for some sharing tidbits but they will come when HQ releases them.

Oh and no-one is taking this as a knock. Least of all me. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and their say, but I for one will keep posting on the forum to let you know whats going on. Better a manufacturer commits to engaging with the modelers it serves than hides behind a wall of silence. No one knows anything then.

Thank you Martin :thumbsup: