ARC Discussion Forums

Jennings

AMK 1/48 F-14!!!

Hey there. Long time. Good to hear from you again! :thumbsup2:

Hey Mark, still around...just busy with other stuff.

I said ‘soothsayer’ because of what you said in your previous post.

In Your own words:

Great Wall Hobbies is about to enter the market. They won't boast about their F-14D kit. They'll let the plastic do the talking, and if there are shape issues with the kit, then GWH will do what they did with their MiG-29, P-61, and F-15 - They'll fix it and make it perfect.“

The prediction makes you a soothsayer. I don’t even need to insult you. You provided the very stick to beat you. Now who’s ridiculous?

Not a prediction. GWH makes GREAT Models. They HAVE corrected their kits that have had issues. I named them. Those are facts.

You on the other hand make statements that are never based on fact or reality.

And now here you are again trying to be cute by again personally insulting me. "The prediction makes you a soothsayer. I don’t even need to insult you. You provided the very stick to beat you. Now who’s ridiculous?"

That's all you can do? Insult people?

You made the claim, since those who received the kit weren't commenting on its flaws, that the "experten" were wrong and that the AMK kit is perfect. I shared my comparisons after holding AMK's F-14D in my own hands. Yep, it's got numerous issues.

Did you even bother to buy a AMK F-14D? Take pictures please.

Back up your assertions, or go away and post insults somewhere else.

ruh roh. Just a friendly casual observation/piece of advice. Be careful posting personal attacks, or anything sounding like it here. That is a sure fire way to get not only this thread locked down, but potentially banned from the site. I'm not an admin and carry no weight what-so-ever (well except for the doughnut belly weight but let's not go there) But I'd hate to see this thread go away after all this work. It's been enlightening for so many reasons so lets keep it civil and on track. I notice both of you guys are relatively new here so I just thought maybe a good heads-up would benefit you guys.

Ok, carry on.

Bill

"That is a sure fire way to get not only this thread locked down,"

I sure wouldn't complain if it were and would be happy to see it replaced by a thread dealing with "How to deal about the feeling of frustration" because it is what this thread has become , and the culprits are not the ones we are thinking of!

I suppose one could start a new thread that dealt with whatever aspects one would wish about this, or any other kit. I don't think there's a law stating that a new thread about it can't be started. Just pointing that out.

You can add those, saw on modelforum.cz: 

file.php?id=1528349

file.php?id=1528379

Someone was in a hurry.

Wow! That's just . . . disappointing to see. Looks like a research paper written at the last minute while ignoring spell check.

The panel lines near the intake lip?????? and all the rest. Why is there such inconsistency here? I don't think any other AMK kit had issues like this.

There are those that will be happy with their kits.

Wow! That's just . . . disappointing to see. Looks like a research paper written at the last minute while ignoring spell check.

The panel lines near the intake lip?????? and all the rest. Why is there such inconsistency here? I don't think any other AMK kit had issues like this.

There are those that will be happy with their kits.

The one on the right seems more refined. It's almost as if they made some error and used the old CAD for the left part.

IMG_4317.jpg

Fortunately it's on the bottom side so I'll still get the kit, but it would be nice if AMK would mold the corrected part and make it available for their customers through the distributors. Perhaps for the next production run?

wow that's pretty bad. this whole kit development has been one big dumpster fire after another.

Can we not get a photo of this from someone that is directly here and has the kit in hand? I only ask cause it seems the issues are popping up from third-party sources and not anyone here. Just a thought.

Can we not get a photo of this from someone that is directly here and has the kit in hand? I only ask cause it seems the issues are popping up from third-party sources and not anyone here. Just a thought.

These two photos are from two different sources. The plastic in the box is this plastic. Photography captures reality - to a degree - so these are facts that can be accepted by everyone. I doubt these two sources for the photographs are part of some super secret cabal out to take down a minor company that makes plastic kits.

I get it that there are consumers who really don't care about the quality of the products they buy. But then there are many of us who value the effort that we put in, trading the time out of our lives, earning money. The $65 I gave AMK for this kit represents part of my life. The product should then measure up to the value I place on my life. AMKs effort here has fallen short of their own stated goal of making "The Best F-14D" ever. 

As consumers we can evaluate this kit, compare it to the competition, and decide which kit it is we wish to trade part of our dollars=time=life for.

BTW I won't trust any of the Influencers AMK gave the kit to before it was allowed to get an impartial review. They are a business and they want to make a profit. I have no problem with that. However to post a blurry photo of the rear fuselage resting on top of respected scale plans and claim the kit has no issues, when it clearly does, tells me a lot about AMK.

file.php?id=1528349

IMG_4317.jpg

I can confirm that the pics above reflect the plastic that is contained within the two kits I have received. For some reason I cannot upload the pics I took, so I can only confirm verbally.

Edited by madmanrick

I have maintained since the release of the test shot plastic that we should withhold judgement, until such time as the actual kit was released. But, now many of us have this kit in hand, so let the flames begin (if that's what float your boat). However, those flames should only be directed at said plastic and not any one person or group. If this kit represents the Kitty Hawkization of the model industry to you, well so be it. Now that it is actually for sale, let the kit speak for itself or not.

I can confirm that the pics above reflect the plastic that is contained within the two kits I have received. For some reason I cannot upload the pics I took, so I can only confirm verbally.

Thanks Rick, that's basically what I was looking to hear or see.

From all the fictitious errors I have seen mentioned here, this the first one that appears to be a real one. And one that is not easy to fix, without a good experience in re-scribing details.

That it is at the under side is some comfort, but not for detailers, like myself. Bummer!

Edited by DIO

What exactly are you trying to show with the photos - differences in left and right trunks, quality differences in the panel lines left vs right, accuracy of panel lines, or what? Looking at mine, I see a difference in how the hinges (?) were represented, but the panel lines on both look nice and sharp. 

I see a difference in how the hinges (?) were represented, but the panel lines on both look nice and sharp. 

No, those panel lines are not sharp and nice.

Definitely.Those lines on the right inlet are such nice and sharp, but mostly panel lines on AMK F-14D are very wide and shallow, what looks really, really bad for me.

I do believe such soapy panel lines are one of the major issues of this kit.

afvTVCR.jpg

Thanks. So not an accuracy thing. Sharp enough for me, but agree, they're shallow. Nothing a scribing tool won't fix. Pretty easy. Hope you don't get a look at the new Eduard 1/48 P-51D. Very similar. 

Disagree completely with the statement that the panel lines are wide and shallow. They are finer than previous iterations in AMK kits, but that is in reaction to what some called the overly wide and deep panel lines in the AMK MiG-31 (which were and are not a problem for me). For me the panel lines on their F-14D are acceptable in terms of depth and sharpness for the most part (there are inconsistencies). MY takeaway from the photos posted above are that the kit panel lines are not consistent between the intake shrouds. In other words, what is engraved on the left is not what is engraved on the right and that is also the case with my kits, so it isn't a pre-production error. While the difference won't affect the building of the kit and will hardly be noticable when the kit is complete, they DO exist and it should have never happened, particularly with the extended gestation of this kit. I believe it shows an inattention to detail by persons completely unfamiliar with the subject matter. Deal breaker? No (at least for me). But combined with the incorrectly located refueling probe door and other reported errors, it does make one question what AMK was looking at when this kit was being designed.

For the most part AMK got the basic shapes right (reported errors notwithstanding) and it looks like an F-14D to my eyes. But, there are some very inexplicable choices that were made during the design phase, that either were missed or ignored for whatever reason. This is inexcusable and something that AMK will need to fix before they release another kit.

Weren't there a bunch more pages here? I could have sworn we were up to 264, am I mixing up forums?

Hmmm....had a bunch of posts deleted...don't really understand why. I think the pictures with tape comparing cross sections of the hip area with tamiya were quite helpful...

Steve posted in another thread the forum database got corrupted and the restore db is from 28 October so there’s your gap.

Hopefully the poster that posted the pictures with the tape overlays on the hips repost.  That was an informative post.

Lots of things vanished overnight not only in this topic!

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor