Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Jennings

AMK 1/48 F-14!!!

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, gb_madcat_sl said:


Just had a look at my kit. Concur with the findings that rivet detail is missing from the underside of the dirty wing. 
 

However, I found my slats for both the clean and dirty wings to be molded correctly with complete panel lines and rivets. 
 

Mark

 

Man, this is getting stranger and stranger. Some kits have missing/messed up details on the bottom of the slats and some don't? What is going on here? Did AMK make two sets of molds with each being messed up in different areas? Could this be a problem that is occurring during the actual pressing of the parts? In any case, how is all this getting past QA?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to finish the build for a deadline so I wasn't able to get these up sooner:

IMG_0203.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not much detectable difference under paint on my example.  Some slide mold lines that I opted not to worry about. 

IMG_0205.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Four were at my local show today.  Anyone want to take a guess of how many questions about the hips or panel lines there were? 

IMG_0209.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, zerosystem said:

Four were at my local show today.  Anyone want to take a guess of how many questions about the hips or panel lines there were? 

IMG_0209.JPG

Any sticking points in the assembly?    How was it in comparison to the Hasegawa kit?

Edited by John B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zerosystem said:

Not much detectable difference under paint on my example.  Some slide mold lines that I opted not to worry about. 

IMG_0205.JPG

 

I can see the difference in the quick-release latches on this side compared to the other side.

 

I opened up my kit tonight and it has the same issues that Zactoman found. I have also started comparing the general shapes of the rear end and wing gloves between the AMK kit and my partially built up Tamiya kit and there are stark differences. I need to do some more examination and see if I can take some pics, but the part of the AMK fuselage between the vertical tails and the outside edge has a steeper slant in the AMK kit than the Tamiya. Also, on the Tamiya kit, the slanted area levels off as it approaches the wing bladder, where it does not on the AMK kit. There are also some significant shape differences in the wing gloves. I need to look at this some more and, hopefully, take pics as I do not know how to describe what I'm seeing. I'm hoping Zactoman will have some time to look further as he is better at this kind of stuff than I am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So an accusation has been made that AMK basically just elected to update the HobbyBoss kit...well more or less an accusation. 

Brian at Gunfighter Models has leveled it and has cited numerous places on the kit that are more or less a match to the same areas on the HB Kit...

Can anyone look at that and see if there is indeed a link? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2019 at 7:20 PM, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Part of the issue with the slat/wings is that AMK didn’t mold the slat bay. They molded the wing smooth all the way and there should be a recessed bay for the slat. So I see in all the builds, people don’t have a mark for where to paint the red. Some have lots of red vs some with almost no red. And if you do too much either way, it looks off. 

Brian 

 

I checked the KASL "dirty" wing set I have for my Tamiya F-14A and it DOES have the recessed slat bay. I doubt KASL will make a set for the AMK kit, seeing as it already has dirty wings. Oh well...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, John B said:

Any sticking points in the assembly?    How was it in comparison to the Hasegawa kit?

 

If you're paying attention and dry fitting I didn't reach any major issues during the fuselage and wing assembly.  There weren't instructions available when we first got the kit and had to rely on early PDFs without  sequencing so there were some self introduced issues.  Some parts just snap together which is really nice but as always...TEST FIT

 

  • If you make sure that all of the fuselage pins and posts are alligned and inserted all the way then the fuselage flattens out where some see the gap along the wing seal on the rear edge. 
  • The wings went together without any issues and the spoilers fit perfectly.  (I built mine with them deployed)
  • The nose to fuselage join was a little off on mine but that was most likely due to my screwups in the initial fuselage assembly (intakes go on first before the ramps) but I was able to make a relief cut on an unseen part of the nose part underneath the turtle deck and it worked out just fine.
  • We were under a build timeline so some things were a little more accelerated than I would have liked so once the major airframe components were done. Things like the landing gear doors and actuators, these were a little off for me with the locating holes, this again because of my initial rush to construction might have been an issue with how I put the gear wells together.  Not everyone reported issues there.

 

I can make a pro/con list if people are interested.  Overall it was a fun build with some really amazing new engineering ideas.  Some worked really well, others need a little tweaking.  All in all it's a F-14 to me, which I consider like a P-38...there are alot of things going on in  a kit that have to go right for everything to attach properly.   The claimed detractors of panel lines and shapes don't detract enough for me to not think of it as an F-14...it doesn't have the Hobbyboss or Academy shape and surface area problems, it doesn't have the famous Monogram step fuselage assembly or the Hasegawa fit issues (admit-idly I haven't built that one in years but I still remember how hard it was to try and get the canopy to sit flat).  While it might not be Tamiya, I liked it and will build another.   And just to mention it, there were 2 Tamiya cats and the show (though both Alphas) and all of us did look at them side by side. 

 

 

 

74664637_2749283248435419_2985907619761225728_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, zerosystem said:

  And just to mention it, there were 2 Tamiya cats and the show (though both Alphas) and all of us did look at them side by side. 

 

 

 

74664637_2749283248435419_2985907619761225728_n.jpg

And? Don't hold back😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, zerosystem said:

 

If you're paying attention and dry fitting I didn't reach any major issues during the fuselage and wing assembly.  There weren't instructions available when we first got the kit and had to rely on early PDFs without  sequencing so there were some self introduced issues.  Some parts just snap together which is really nice but as always...TEST FIT

 

  • If you make sure that all of the fuselage pins and posts are alligned and inserted all the way then the fuselage flattens out where some see the gap along the wing seal on the rear edge. 
  • The wings went together without any issues and the spoilers fit perfectly.  (I built mine with them deployed)
  • The nose to fuselage join was a little off on mine but that was most likely due to my screwups in the initial fuselage assembly (intakes go on first before the ramps) but I was able to make a relief cut on an unseen part of the nose part underneath the turtle deck and it worked out just fine.
  • We were under a build timeline so some things were a little more accelerated than I would have liked so once the major airframe components were done. Things like the landing gear doors and actuators, these were a little off for me with the locating holes, this again because of my initial rush to construction might have been an issue with how I put the gear wells together.  Not everyone reported issues there.

 

I can make a pro/con list if people are interested.  Overall it was a fun build with some really amazing new engineering ideas.  Some worked really well, others need a little tweaking.  All in all it's a F-14 to me, which I consider like a P-38...there are alot of things going on in  a kit that have to go right for everything to attach properly.   The claimed detractors of panel lines and shapes don't detract enough for me to not think of it as an F-14...it doesn't have the Hobbyboss or Academy shape and surface area problems, it doesn't have the famous Monogram step fuselage assembly or the Hasegawa fit issues (admit-idly I haven't built that one in years but I still remember how hard it was to try and get the canopy to sit flat).  While it might not be Tamiya, I liked it and will build another.   And just to mention it, there were 2 Tamiya cats and the show (though both Alphas) and all of us did look at them side by side. 

 

 

 

74664637_2749283248435419_2985907619761225728_n.jpg

 

You suck, dude.. there is nothing good about this kit! Unbuildable!! Remember? 

 

/sarcasm 😄 😄 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, foxmulder_ms said:

 

You suck, dude.. there is nothing good about this kit! Unbuildable!! Remember? 

 

/sarcasm 😄 😄 😄

 

Exactly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it looks great!

Good job in an unbuildable kit.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, solher1 said:

Good job in an unbuildable kit.

 

However I am after a freedom of speech, I think such comments should be removed by mods in this topic. They lead to nothing else than shitstorm about thing that was discussed and explained before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tapchan said:

 

However I am after a freedom of speech, I think such comments should be removed by mods in this topic. They lead to nothing else than shitstorm about thing that was discussed and explained before.

 

Thank for this great post. Some are more equal indeed 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FFS...no one ever said the kit was unbuildable. 

What was disputed was the "most accurate Tomcat ever" claim, and the hubris that followed it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome job on your build! Definitely captures the feel of an F-14. Congratulations on a wonderful build.

 

I do however find it extremely funny that people are so triggered by people pointing out that there are some "inconsistencies" with the kit and trying to explain what areas may need to be improved upon with this model. It's like they are personally attached to the kit or something. Good grief, no one said unbuildable or anything of the sorts. But hey, if that's how you guys are getting your laughs then more power to ya'. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

FFS...no one ever said the kit was unbuildable. 

What was disputed was the "most accurate Tomcat ever" claim, and the hubris that followed it. 

 

 

...plus seeing tones of non-issue issues...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DIO said:
3 hours ago, Jonathan_Lotton said:

FFS...no one ever said the kit was unbuildable. 

What was disputed was the "most accurate Tomcat ever" claim, and the hubris that followed it. 

 

 

...plus seeing tones of non-issue issues...

 

I will certainly agree that the kit builds up into an attractive F-14D, no doubt about it. As Jonathan_Lotton stated, the issue is with the "most accurate Tomcat ever" claims. I also take issue with the claim that the issues uncovered are "non-issues" when I can see them whenever I get a good look at the model.  Some might think that the complaints have all been made and we are rehashing old news. This is not true. There are some underlying shape issues with the AMK kit that are beginning to come to light. I am trying to understand what I'm seeing so I can put it down in words that make sense. I am not good with drawing or 3D drafting type programs, so trying to create graphics that would show what I am seeing is beyond my skill. In time, I and others will be able to explain the underlying issues. In the meantime, please, let's not berate others just because they don't agree with what you think about the kit. The builds I've seen so far are really impressive. That the kit goes together well even without instructions is indeed a positive. I've started some assembly of the fuselage and it just clicks together as stated by others.

This should not be an emotional issue. This is a technical critique of the accuracy of the kit, nothing more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, niart17 said:

Awesome job on your build! Definitely captures the feel of an F-14. Congratulations on a wonderful build.

 

I do however find it extremely funny that people are so triggered by people pointing out that there are some "inconsistencies" with the kit and trying to explain what areas may need to be improved upon with this model. It's like they are personally attached to the kit or something. Good grief, no one said unbuildable or anything of the sorts. But hey, if that's how you guys are getting your laughs then more power to ya'. 

 

As well as I when I read some of the comments that take a marketing slogan to heart and that AMK intentionally made mistakes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2019 at 7:28 PM, zerosystem said:

Four were at my local show today.  Anyone want to take a guess of how many questions about the hips or panel lines there were? 

IMG_0209.JPG

Saw them yesterday, thought they all looked great.  Also saw Terry's spread out on the table.

Edited by dekon70

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, zerosystem said:

 

As well as I when I read some of the comments that take a marketing slogan to heart and that AMK intentionally made mistakes. 

Perhaps I missed it, but I can't recall anyone saying AMK made the mistakes on purpose. THAT would be a crazy claim to make. I can't imagine any company purposely making such mistakes. It's not unusual for companies to make mistakes, it's not unforgivable even. It is what it is. But it's also not unheard of for people to evaluate a product and find what they find good and what they find bad about a product. That's what is called a customer review, or a discussion about a product. It's not like this is the first time a kit has been evaluated and things pointed out. There are forums dedicated exclusively for this purpose. 

 

But on a more serious note.....comon 300!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...