3 minutes ago, Tapchan said:

So AMK ~ HB. HB =/= Accuracy, therefore AMK ~/~ Accuracy. 

Not really; general dimension are about the same but every panel and every detail is quite different. Radome cross sections does not match perfectly and while AMK one is slightly smaller aft mid cockpit it grows slightly bigger than HB.

I was curious to compare the two because in the long list of HB inaccuracies fat nose or fat hips were never mentioned and it seems that the two kits are just the same dimension.

It's true that AMK outer engine cross section and inflatable bags are quite off and that spoils the shape of whole rear section but I don't think it is noticeably wider than the real thing.

Knowing Zactoman reputation sure he is right about spine section but probably EVERY kit has very similar problems in some areas: if you really know the subject, every kit is something between "far from perfect" to "fatally flawed".

12 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Did anybody ever find out exactly what model razors became the Tomcats last use?

I'm not sure but I do know that those razors were overpriced, didn't maneuver well and more often than not, they were broken when it was time to shave.  Strangely enough, they were widely popular amongst adolescent boys.

5 hours ago, 11bee said:

I'm not sure but I do know that those razors were overpriced, didn't maneuver well and more often than not, they were broken when it was time to shave.  Strangely enough, they were widely popular amongst adolescent boys.

Or it could have been the first time a Tomcat was useful!

In my opinion, nothing says Cold War Navy, more than the Tomcat. I also don't think it hurt having the Tomcat in a couple of movies and various video games. All of those raised its' stature to mythic proportions. Lastly, while it may have been underpowered in its' early iteration (the "A" model), the "B" and even more so, the "D," made up for that.

1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:

What is it about the Tomcat that gets the fanboys all fluffy and unnecessary?
It was after all just an average, of a little over weight and underpowered jet.

Not to mention it was a maintenance pig and a good percentage of the production run crashed.  Other than that, it was a butt kickin' plane.

As far as why it's a fav of the fanboi set?

See the source image

Edited by 11bee
4 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Yeah the war on whiskers.
Operation The Bathrooms Free.

What is it about the Tomcat that gets the fanboys all fluffy and unnecessary?
It was after all just an average, of a little over weight and underpowered jet.

You are aware that the F-111 was over weight and under powered, right?

What was the F-111 jealous of, thrust, fuel, looks, and kick arse looks.

4 hours ago, madmanrick said:

In my opinion, nothing says Cold War Navy, more than the Tomcat. I also don't think it hurt having the Tomcat in a couple of movies and various video games. All of those raised its' stature to mythic proportions. Lastly, while it may have been underpowered in its' early iteration (the "A" model), the "B" and even more so, the "D," made up for that.

If I may rejig these very words.

while it may have been underpowered in its' early iteration (the "A" model), the "C,D,E" and even more so, the "F," made up for that.

I always found it interesting about the development of the F-111 that the US Navy decided that the new fighter would have swing wings, side by side seating and the crew capsule and the F-14 only had the swing wings. All the features that killed the naval development of the jet were not carried forward.

Strange that.

As fighter designers the US Navy managed to design one of the very best, if not thee best medium bombing platform that was never surpassed in its own lifetime.
Not even the mighty F-15E compared to the F-111F during ODS.

Edited by ElectroSoldier

In a post about people ruining Christmas, one person said “I got my boyfriend a model kit. He called it cheap and said it probably wasn’t even worth his time to assemble....” 

Now was boyfriend someone that would post in this thread or someone who got a AMK Tomcat or a new take on penthouse letters as girlfriends don’t buy models as gifts or all the above? Please discuss. 

7 hours ago, GW8345 said:

You mean just like the F-111?

Guess you never heard of a "wing-sweep swivel".

What do any of the Tom's multiple failings have to do with the F-111?   

Sounds like you are a SME on the Tom, so enlighten me - what is "wing-sweep swivel".

I just discovered this thread, it's truly an amazing piece of work.  May we all be here when it breaks 1,000 pages.   Keep up the good work lads!

6 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

I always found it interesting about the development of the F-111 that the US Navy decided that the new fighter would have swing wings, side by side seating and the crew capsule and the F-14 only had the swing wings. All the features that killed the naval development of the jet were not carried forward.

Strange that.

The Navy didn't decide that it's next fighter aircraft have the features you mentioned, McNamara in his infinite wisdom pushed the Air Force and Navy to share a common airframe, in order to save on development costs and that Air Force TFX proposal was where those design elements derived from. This led to the F-111B an airframe that was forced upon the Navy by DefSec. The other mistake made was designating the USAF as the project manager, thereby ensuring that while the F-111 may fulfill their needs (and this is endlessly debatable), almost nothing about the 111 would fulfill the Navy's. Something you forgot to mention is that the AF/Navy had learned its' lesson regarding a lack of onboard guns and this was yet another feature lacking in the B.

The crew capsule was part of the 111's weight problem, it added unnecessary weight and complexity and the USAF also chose to ditch (no pun intended) the crew capsule concept with the B-1. The side by side seating was something the Navy had done away with in designing fighter/attack aircraft in the '50's. Lastly, the swing wings were a very popular design choice in the '60's. With the possible exception of the Su-24 and Tornado (both of which began design work in the '60's), they really haven't been used since, again weight and complexity being the death kneel (and before you jump and say B-1, the B-1 was initially designed in the '60's to replace the failed B-70 and wasn't actually put into production until the 80's).

TBH and you are going to HATE this, the F-111 was an aircraft the USAF didn't want and didn't really need. They had to search for a mission for the airframe and as you yourself admitted, it wasn't until the F model, that the airframe even began to realize its' potential. TAC had cheaper, more versatile options available for flying bomb trucks and SAC surely could have used an airframe with the range to actually reach the targets it was intended to strike, without having to rely on a string of aerial refuelings. While the 111  may be sexy(?), it was not really an effective combat aircraft, when you evaluate cost vs. capability. It is no wonder that the 111 was retired 10 years before the Tomcat.